PowerTech

rolandps

Another suggestion:

"Ailment": Ailment increases armor penetration of nearby friendly players (5 metre radius) by 5% and decreases damage reduction by 10% of nearby enemies (5 metre radius). Effect lasts for 8 seconds. Ailment has a 60 seconds cooldown.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank spec: I read this one somewhere else: An DCD for tank spec (after moving translocate class wide) with 1 minute cooldown, increasing your shield chance by 100% for 15 seconds and generating 2 heat every second. Can be cancelled manually earlier.

This would break PVE. Shielding all force and tech attacks for 25% of time would make PT's OP given they already have, explosive fuel, oil slick, kolto, energy shield and heat blast. I agree they need really strong short cd defensive but not one that lasts this amount time. If this lasted 6 secs and came with automatic heat blast it would be much better.

I think translocate could be used for dps so that it places you next to your target (within 40 m) and buffs your health to the same level as your target, increase the CD to 2 minutes, remove to from tanks though. Also buff Kolto slightly (3 minute CD should be strong to 40-50%)

Edited by MuskyBoy

Another suggestion:

"Ailment": Ailment increases armor penetration of nearby friendly players (5 metre radius) by 5% and decreases damage reduction by 10% of nearby enemies (5 metre radius). Effect lasts for 8 seconds. Ailment has a 60 seconds cooldown.

Reminds me of some of the tanks on WAR how they had auras that could buff or debuff in a radius around them. That was pretty cool actually.

that would only apply if merc was the only thing that was worlds ahead of pt, the fact is, skill v skill pt wont beat any class in this game and not by a small margin.

I learned this the hard way. I intercepted a Fury Mara on the way to a node once and got my *** royally handed to me by this no-name no-guild no-title guy. I tried to run far far away, but he has leap, blade blitz, and predation. RIP. I have hardly played my AP PT since then. They are good at huttball, maybe voidstar, and large mid fights .... and that's about it.

I used to regularly kill bads on my PT back before all the SS folks transferred to SF.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Reminds me of some of the tanks on WAR how they had auras that could buff or debuff in a radius around them. That was pretty cool actually.

Tanks in Warhammer Online were broken, nigh unkillable CC machines. Of course, a lot was broken in that game, so at least tanks were consistent.

As for DPS PTs in this game, I shelved mine months ago. I recommend the same for anyone who wants to stay sane. Sure, you can do well with one on a good trinity premade that is guarding and healing you to subsidize your lack of anti-focus DCDs, but ANY class will shine with a good trinity premade behind them. Bioware appears to be in no hurry to fix them either. It's been two years now since they were touched? But as others have said, their DPS isn't an issue, it's their survivability - dead men do no DPS. Give them the same Kolto Overload and Energy Shield as Mercs, and they'll be in a better place.

Edited by Mournblood

PT overall: It's supposed to be the glass cannon, isn't it? Still, their damage output does not vary that much from any other spec.

PT tanks strength was the insane aoe cleave, since it got nerfed, who cares about stacking into a PT tank cleave.

Solo ranked: Try to tunnel a jug tank first, secondly tunnel a sin tank. Finally, tunnel a pt tank. You'll get its state of defensives.

PT dps is shut down by slows and kept on distance (as the only way to get your enemy close to yourself is hydraulic overload and pulling. Grapple (the pull) can be avoided by so many ways by any class and spec. So there's only hydraulic overload left, with a 45 / 35 second cool down.)

If you let a PT freecast, I agree, its dps is gonna be the most, compared to other dps specs, and it's gonna be a "wrecking ball".

I've been playing PT (pyrotech primarily, sometimes advanced prototype or shield tech) for the last ~9 months (both solo and team ranked) excessively, and I can admit, it can get insane dps. Advanced prototype can get 7k and even more if you let him freecast, pyrotech can get 7-9k in a proper stack, tanks got 10k in a stack before they got nerfed to hell, now (not sure) they get somewhat 5-7k?

In the following wall of text I'm going to rely on team ranked mostly.

The (first) point is: The lack of DCDs is going to nullify the PowerTechs damage if you're under focus with stuns / slows. For an example: Team ranked, pyrotech in your team, sniper (who knows how to play, xemirr, asana, who ever) in enemies team. You're not going to hit 4k dps (maybe sometimes, if the healer stacks). If the sniper is supposed and actually sits on you, you're not going to be able to stick to the enemies heal (or ranged damage dealer), in both dps specs.

I could give a lot of comparisons / examples: Marauder outdpsing the powertech, snipers outdpsing the powertech, mercs outdpsing the powertech, even sorcerers outdpsing the powertech. This is not because the powertech is a "bad" and the other dd is a "good" player. I won't list all the specific reasons (in my opinion) why these situations happen, here are just the cases.

I am a huge friend of PowerTechs, all of their specs (though i probably dislike the spec shield tech a bit), I enjoy playing the class in both unranked and ranked (solo & team). By the way, I know, Bioware is not going to read this post anyway.

Considdering solo ranked.

4 damage dealer:

- you are going to keep back or not, get in, probably try to kite or do damage, and die

- the only chance is if you got some decent players who know how to support you

- anyway, your team would definitely win more easily with any other class beside powertech

3 damage dealer, 1 tank:

- it's pretty fun sometimes, personally, I prefer this setup over 3 damage dealer, 1 heal games

- you can definitely get a lot of damage, unless your tank doesn't know how to guard you

- as you (or in my own experience considdering this case) get focussed in 80% of the matches, if you get taunted + stunned and enemies got 3 ranged damage dealer (mercs, sniper, sorc) (wow, sorc as well!), you won't do any dps there and die pretty fast

- If you got some offhealing classes, you'll be able to survive a bit longer and win the match

- these points have been pretty much positive to the powertechs state, but still, it sucks in solo ranked

3 damage dealer, 1 heal:

- unless you got some nice other damage dealer who you can offguard each other with, you'll die fast, even if you avoid doing damage and concentrate on kiting away

- if you don't get focussed, you are going to do pretty well, but this rarely happens

Finally: 2 damage dealer, 1 heal, 1 tank:

- it's fun to play, like in team ranked

- you'll do pretty well, it's fun, but still, compared to other damage dealer specs, you lack of defensive cooldowns

Regular warzones, unranked.

It's boring in my honest opinion to play unranked at all, but when you decide to queue up: You can do most damage almost all games, because people in this PvP mode suck, overall, unless you face skilled players. You'll get most damage even by running in, dpsing, dying after 15 sec and being the hero of most deaths (10? 15?) in the warzone. As I said, people in unranked suck. That's my opinion.

Whatever, if you (considdering you are not an unskilled weakling) play any other class, you'll get same or more damage, because you'll have less deaths, more uptime of dpsing. Furthermore, everyone knows how weak powertechs are, and you'll get focussed to hell.

More information out of my mind.

PowerTechs lack defensive cooldowns, compared to other damage dealer specs. Whatever, I do NOT support buffing the class in defensive cooldowns. In my opinion, all other classes should be nerfed to hell. That's all which needs to be done. Damage dealers are supposed to die. Not after getting 400k damage with base maximum hitpoints of 130k, they are supposed to die with 180k, maybe more or less. Defensive cooldowns need to be used well and timed properly.

This was the most important point of my post here, I guess.

To be honest, I've lost the point why I was writing this. Whatever, here are some of my thoughts. I will probably add more stuff with further posts to complete my (maybe unclear) guesses and statements.

TL;DR: I am not sure what to write here, maybe I'll add something later on.

Thanks for reading everyone!

For people who want to know who I am :)

Imapowi

I got as far as "The (first) point is: The lack of DCDs is going to nullify the PowerTechs damage if you're under focus with stuns / slows" and then I stopped reading.

That can be said about any class or their respective dps. 1st person to get focused and tunneled is gonna suffer dps wise, that's just how arenas work.

I got as far as "The (first) point is: The lack of DCDs is going to nullify the PowerTechs damage if you're under focus with stuns / slows" and then I stopped reading.

That can be said about any class or their respective dps. 1st person to get focused and tunneled is gonna suffer dps wise, that's just how arenas work.

Not quite sure how to address this, seems telling people they're wrong is bad nowadays

Suffice to say, prior 5.0, it terms of survivability, PT/VG was in the exact same place as Mercenary. Being identified as a single target burst class, with fantastic upfront damage (we won't talk about method), but when they're focused, they drop like flies

That said, how can anybody justify giving a DCD to one variant of the class, including a utility that buffs another one's healing threshold. To a class (mercenary/commando) with more escapes, and ways to shake enemies off them, but in the same patch, nerf the counterpart?

We don't have reliable ways to exit a fight, like aoe knockbacks, snares with hinder mechanics, a jump out ability.

We don't have on-cast heals, like commandos do, we dont have a spell dodging mechanic.

We have a 30% def rating/30% dr depending on spec, a damage mitigation of the lowest recorded amount in a single spell out of all tanks, and a heal over time, that barely puts us out of execution health level.

That said, there is no tangible way you can argue, justifying why Mercenary/commando go a new defensive ability, and pt/vg got jack...

In the same patch, Assassins get 60% dr, Juggernauts get more reliable self cleanse, plus 2 movement purges.

And we got? Storm gets movement speed, an ability that was already tied to Storm when it was on the tank spec, is now a legendary tier and is still weaker than it was before, lacking the auto refresh when hit mechanic, but they still think its a legendary tier utility? Come off it mate

tl;dr - we got short handed whether you want to admit it or not! and with unnecessary nerfs to guard cannon, tactics and skank tanking's aggression, we are anchored in the same position as 4.0 mercenary, arguably worse

Sure, in Arenas anyones DPS will be low if you tunnel the DD.

Even Mercs do only 2-3k DPS if they are tunneled. Lightning Sorc does 1,5 - 2,5k DPS only if you tunnel it. Or less.

My point was about SR: Mercs survive 1 Minute and deal 150k damage. PowerTechs survive 10 seconds and deal 100k damage. This is my point. Got it?