PowerTech

rolandps

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people play this class and make it shine.

I'd hate to see what some of them could do on the class if it was given better DCDs. I imagine if they give PTs better survivibility they'd have to consider reducing some of their burst tbh.

The class is highly dependent on group support but lately I have been running into some good VGs and PTs in the warzones and with heals and tanks they are wrecking balls.

PT overall: It's supposed to be the glass cannon, isn't it? Still, their damage output does not vary that much from any other spec.

PT tanks strength was the insane aoe cleave, since it got nerfed, who cares about stacking into a PT tank cleave.

Solo ranked: Try to tunnel a jug tank first, secondly tunnel a sin tank. Finally, tunnel a pt tank. You'll get its state of defensives.

PT dps is shut down by slows and kept on distance (as the only way to get your enemy close to yourself is hydraulic overload and pulling. Grapple (the pull) can be avoided by so many ways by any class and spec. So there's only hydraulic overload left, with a 45 / 35 second cool down.)

If you let a PT freecast, I agree, its dps is gonna be the most, compared to other dps specs, and it's gonna be a "wrecking ball".

I've been playing PT (pyrotech primarily, sometimes advanced prototype or shield tech) for the last ~9 months (both solo and team ranked) excessively, and I can admit, it can get insane dps. Advanced prototype can get 7k and even more if you let him freecast, pyrotech can get 7-9k in a proper stack, tanks got 10k in a stack before they got nerfed to hell, now (not sure) they get somewhat 5-7k?

In the following wall of text I'm going to rely on team ranked mostly.

The (first) point is: The lack of DCDs is going to nullify the PowerTechs damage if you're under focus with stuns / slows. For an example: Team ranked, pyrotech in your team, sniper (who knows how to play, xemirr, asana, who ever) in enemies team. You're not going to hit 4k dps (maybe sometimes, if the healer stacks). If the sniper is supposed and actually sits on you, you're not going to be able to stick to the enemies heal (or ranged damage dealer), in both dps specs.

I could give a lot of comparisons / examples: Marauder outdpsing the powertech, snipers outdpsing the powertech, mercs outdpsing the powertech, even sorcerers outdpsing the powertech. This is not because the powertech is a "bad" and the other dd is a "good" player. I won't list all the specific reasons (in my opinion) why these situations happen, here are just the cases.

I am a huge friend of PowerTechs, all of their specs (though i probably dislike the spec shield tech a bit), I enjoy playing the class in both unranked and ranked (solo & team). By the way, I know, Bioware is not going to read this post anyway.

Considdering solo ranked.

4 damage dealer:

- you are going to keep back or not, get in, probably try to kite or do damage, and die

- the only chance is if you got some decent players who know how to support you

- anyway, your team would definitely win more easily with any other class beside powertech

3 damage dealer, 1 tank:

- it's pretty fun sometimes, personally, I prefer this setup over 3 damage dealer, 1 heal games

- you can definitely get a lot of damage, unless your tank doesn't know how to guard you

- as you (or in my own experience considdering this case) get focussed in 80% of the matches, if you get taunted + stunned and enemies got 3 ranged damage dealer (mercs, sniper, sorc) (wow, sorc as well!), you won't do any dps there and die pretty fast

- If you got some offhealing classes, you'll be able to survive a bit longer and win the match

- these points have been pretty much positive to the powertechs state, but still, it sucks in solo ranked

3 damage dealer, 1 heal:

- unless you got some nice other damage dealer who you can offguard each other with, you'll die fast, even if you avoid doing damage and concentrate on kiting away

- if you don't get focussed, you are going to do pretty well, but this rarely happens

Finally: 2 damage dealer, 1 heal, 1 tank:

- it's fun to play, like in team ranked

- you'll do pretty well, it's fun, but still, compared to other damage dealer specs, you lack of defensive cooldowns

Regular warzones, unranked.

It's boring in my honest opinion to play unranked at all, but when you decide to queue up: You can do most damage almost all games, because people in this PvP mode suck, overall, unless you face skilled players. You'll get most damage even by running in, dpsing, dying after 15 sec and being the hero of most deaths (10? 15?) in the warzone. As I said, people in unranked suck. That's my opinion.

Whatever, if you (considdering you are not an unskilled weakling) play any other class, you'll get same or more damage, because you'll have less deaths, more uptime of dpsing. Furthermore, everyone knows how weak powertechs are, and you'll get focussed to hell.

More information out of my mind.

PowerTechs lack defensive cooldowns, compared to other damage dealer specs. Whatever, I do NOT support buffing the class in defensive cooldowns. In my opinion, all other classes should be nerfed to hell. That's all which needs to be done. Damage dealers are supposed to die. Not after getting 400k damage with base maximum hitpoints of 130k, they are supposed to die with 180k, maybe more or less. Defensive cooldowns need to be used well and timed properly.

This was the most important point of my post here, I guess.

To be honest, I've lost the point why I was writing this. Whatever, here are some of my thoughts. I will probably add more stuff with further posts to complete my (maybe unclear) guesses and statements.

TL;DR: I am not sure what to write here, maybe I'll add something later on.

Thanks for reading everyone!

For people who want to know who I am :)

Imapowi

PT overall: It's supposed to be the glass cannon, isn't it? Still, their damage output does not vary that much from any other spec.

Stupid. Powertech DPS is good.

PT tanks strength was the insane aoe cleave, since it got nerfed, who cares about stacking into a PT tank cleave.

Stupid. Tank powertech dps is good. Pulls 4k into triple cleave.

If you're going to ask for buffs (which powertechs DO need) then at least use the correct evidence.

Edited by septru

PowerTechs lack defensive cooldowns, compared to other damage dealer specs. Whatever, I do NOT support buffing the class in defensive cooldowns. In my opinion, all other classes should be nerfed to hell.

That's probably the only way to balance stuff at this point.

In the past everyone including me complained that classes needed more DCDs (hihi mercs) and they got them.

The issue is, they got too much. And now, people that know marauders better than me say they got too much. And people that know snipers better than me say they got too much.

Instead of buffing everyones DCDs and making healers jobs even easier they really should consider this advice, that being toning down much of the survivability DPS classes now have.

This also would inadvertently make tanks more important too with guard being even more relevant when DPS would clamor for a guard if they lacked the powerful self heals and DCDs they now have.

It's actually a good point imo. DPS classes have far too much survivability now which renders healing and guard even more powerful than it should be.

Admitting PTs should not get better DCDs probably is a hard thing to do, but I believe it's right. I also think toning down the DCDs and overall survivability of some of the DPS classes would be good.

All of that being said, I think some DPS ought to have improved burst and damage.

- Powertech dps is good :D:D:D

-Good players make PowerTechs shine lololol:D:D:D (specially those who get global all the time)

-With a good healer a PowerTech wont go down lolol :D::D (except against Mercs, Snipers, Juggs and Maras):D:D:D

- Survivability is the only thing a PowerTech is missing lol:D:D:D:D Correct! We should give them "Kolto" I'm sure that will heal them while getting tunnel :D:D:D

Oh God; how much is their club membership fee? $1! :D:D

Edited by Grxsr

- Powertech dps is good

I guess it depends on what your idea of "good" is. :D:D

-Good players make PowerTechs shine

Good players make all classes shine. I agree. :D:D:D

-With a good healer a PowerTech wont go down

IMO this is circumstantial - depends on the WZ meta, and the skill of the player on the PT. :D:D

- Survivability is the only thing a PowerTech is missing - Correct! We should give them "Kolto" I'm sure that will heal them while getting tunnel.

I am confused by this because PTs already have "kolto" if you mean Kolto Overload. You can't give them something they already got. :D:D:D

Oh God; how much is their club membership fee? $1!

Someone else will have to answer this sadly I am not a member of the PT club. :D:D:D

Some fair points.

Definately agree that we should have a big nerf to dcds in general. Its a bit OTT at this point.

Anyway I think some small tweaks for PT would be good. Like shield cooldown reduced on dmg taken as in Pyro spec could be class wide, give back the range so kiting is possible or at least 10m range on most abiliyies for Pyro and AP.

Also 5% heal on SC could go back with maybe 7% for tanks.

Class shining in right hands is all well only not true really against good players.... shield isnt gonna do all that much for you and if you have to pop kolto you are pretty much dead.

On a different note, I hate the fact PTs got this stupid leap move awhile back which used to be only for tank PTs. I realize they probably needed a closer but damn, did they have to give them a leap?

Aesthetically it just doesn't fit with the DPS class, looks stupid. :mad:

I guess it depends on what your idea of "good" is. :D:D

Good players make all classes shine. I agree. :D:D:D

Assuming we're talking Solo Rank, No they're no good PT players, they're exceptions but no such thing as a good PT player.. an exception to the rules is Worthless PowerTech. I had play with him on several occasions Solo Rank and he as done exceptional, but everyone else is the same old same old, tunnel and global, rinse and repeat.

IMO this is circumstantial - depends on the WZ meta, and the skill of the player on the PT. :D:D

again, skills can only prolong survivability, contrary to Worthless PowerTech were he makes a significant contribution towards victory.

I am confused by this because PTs already have "kolto" if you mean Kolto Overload. You can't give them something they already got. :D:D:D

35% on a Second Coming resurrection cd.. yea whatever

Someone else will have to answer this sadly I am not a member of the PT club. :D:D:D

Malaket should be included on the list of players we should be listen too :)

Besides the lack of dcds, Powertech is fine. You're probably not playing it right.

This is it.

It's been said over and over since 5.0, PT's DPS is fine, it's the 1 DCD and how easy it is to tunnel the class that sucks. It's just too easy to sick 4 dogs on PT for an insta kill.

And to think they removed the 30% dmg reduction when stunned a few months back, because BW Is genius. Haven't given 2 f**ks about this class since they did that asinine move.

Solo ranked: Try to tunnel a jug tank first, secondly tunnel a sin tank. Finally, tunnel a pt tank. You'll get its state of defensives.

PT dps is shut down by slows and kept on distance (as the only way to get your enemy close to yourself is hydraulic overload and pulling. Grapple (the pull) can be avoided by so many ways by any class and spec. So there's only hydraulic overload left, with a 45 / 35 second cool down.)

If you let a PT freecast, I agree, its dps is gonna be the most, compared to other dps specs, and it's gonna be a "wrecking ball".

I've been playing PT (pyrotech primarily, sometimes advanced prototype or shield tech) for the last ~9 months (both solo and team ranked) excessively, and I can admit, it can get insane dps. Advanced prototype can get 7k and even more if you let him freecast, pyrotech can get 7-9k in a proper stack, tanks got 10k in a stack before they got nerfed to hell, now (not sure) they get somewhat 5-7k?

In the following wall of text I'm going to rely on team ranked mostly.

The (first) point is: The lack of DCDs is going to nullify the PowerTechs damage if you're under focus with stuns / slows. For an example: Team ranked, pyrotech in your team, sniper (who knows how to play, xemirr, asana, who ever) in enemies team. You're not going to hit 4k dps (maybe sometimes, if the healer stacks). If the sniper is supposed and actually sits on you, you're not going to be able to stick to the enemies heal (or ranged damage dealer), in both dps specs.

I could give a lot of comparisons / examples: Marauder outdpsing the powertech, snipers outdpsing the powertech, mercs outdpsing the powertech, even sorcerers outdpsing the powertech. This is not because the powertech is a "bad" and the other dd is a "good" player. I won't list all the specific reasons (in my opinion) why these situations happen, here are just the cases.

I am a huge friend of PowerTechs, all of their specs (though i probably dislike the spec shield tech a bit), I enjoy playing the class in both unranked and ranked (solo & team). By the way, I know, Bioware is not going to read this post anyway.

Considdering solo ranked.

4 damage dealer:

- you are going to keep back or not, get in, probably try to kite or do damage, and die

- the only chance is if you got some decent players who know how to support you

- anyway, your team would definitely win more easily with any other class beside powertech

3 damage dealer, 1 tank:

- it's pretty fun sometimes, personally, I prefer this setup over 3 damage dealer, 1 heal games

- you can definitely get a lot of damage, unless your tank doesn't know how to guard you

- as you (or in my own experience considdering this case) get focussed in 80% of the matches, if you get taunted + stunned and enemies got 3 ranged damage dealer (mercs, sniper, sorc) (wow, sorc as well!), you won't do any dps there and die pretty fast

- If you got some offhealing classes, you'll be able to survive a bit longer and win the match

- these points have been pretty much positive to the powertechs state, but still, it sucks in solo ranked

3 damage dealer, 1 heal:

- unless you got some nice other damage dealer who you can offguard each other with, you'll die fast, even if you avoid doing damage and concentrate on kiting away

- if you don't get focussed, you are going to do pretty well, but this rarely happens

Finally: 2 damage dealer, 1 heal, 1 tank:

- it's fun to play, like in team ranked

- you'll do pretty well, it's fun, but still, compared to other damage dealer specs, you lack of defensive cooldowns

Regular warzones, unranked.

It's boring in my honest opinion to play unranked at all, but when you decide to queue up: You can do most damage almost all games, because people in this PvP mode suck, overall, unless you face skilled players. You'll get most damage even by running in, dpsing, dying after 15 sec and being the hero of most deaths (10? 15?) in the warzone. As I said, people in unranked suck. That's my opinion.

Whatever, if you (considdering you are not an unskilled weakling) play any other class, you'll get same or more damage, because you'll have less deaths, more uptime of dpsing. Furthermore, everyone knows how weak powertechs are, and you'll get focussed to hell.

More information out of my mind.

PowerTechs lack defensive cooldowns, compared to other damage dealer specs. Whatever, I do NOT support buffing the class in defensive cooldowns. In my opinion, all other classes should be nerfed to hell. That's all which needs to be done. Damage dealers are supposed to die. Not after getting 400k damage with base maximum hitpoints of 130k, they are supposed to die with 180k, maybe more or less. Defensive cooldowns need to be used well and timed properly.

This was the most important point of my post here, I guess.

To be honest, I've lost the point why I was writing this. Whatever, here are some of my thoughts. I will probably add more stuff with further posts to complete my (maybe unclear) guesses and statements.

TL;DR: I am not sure what to write here, maybe I'll add something later on.

Thanks for reading everyone!

For people who want to know who I am :)

Imapowi

You are retarded. You have no clue what you are talking about. It's easier to buff one class than Nerf like 5 classes...

So please...

You are retarded. You have no clue what you are talking about. It's easier to buff one class than Nerf like 5 classes...

So please...

Hopefully they add a H2F, a reflect, an innate damage reduction when stunned for all PTs, and a buff to HO making it last 30 seconds with a cooldown of 30 secs. They need to have a constant speed boost imo.

Only then they will be able to compete with all the other classes.

It's time for PTs to be the new apex DPS on swtor.

Hopefully they add a H2F, a reflect, an innate damage reduction when stunned for all PTs, and a buff to HO making it last 30 seconds with a cooldown of 30 secs. They need to have a constant speed boost imo.

Only then they will be able to compete with all the other classes.

It's time for PTs to be the new apex DPS on swtor.

Hey man, I do not want all that... It's too much but take from Merc shield heal and give to PT dps would be amazing... That's all I'm asking!

Hey man, I do not want all that... It's too much but take from Merc shield heal and give to PT dps would be amazing... That's all I'm asking!

Why not just give a baked-in 30% DR when stunned for PTs. Perhaps a reflect would be nice too. Merc DPS wouldn't suffer much if they removed their reflect and gave it to PT, however merc healers need the reflect.

Or we could think outside the box! Give PTs something different than all the other classes. Something different than a reflect.

Perhaps give them some innate ability that boosted their survivability as they got lower in health, a sliding damage reduction base that changed depending on their health.

For instance, when they are at 50-100% health, their damage reduction is normal. Once they drop to 25-50% health they are given an added 10% damage reduction to all damage, and then at 1%-25% they are granted an added 10% damage reduction meaning they'd have a 20% damage reduction bonus. That means when they are really low in health, they become really hard to kill. That would lead up to some exciting fights!

Or, they could go another route, maybe instead of adding damage reduction bonuses, give them added damage bonus as they lose health... Sort of like a berserker on other games! So, when the PT becomes injured they do more damage depending on how badly injured they are.

Anyway, just having fun with ideas they could add to the game and to PTs. :D

Edited by Lhancelot

Phrr..

PT used to be better then Mercs before all the nerfs started it since 4.0 - present.

How about adding to two hard hitting abilities, and two good cd's? unique abilities.. or if we follow your logic, then lets take away a good hitting ability and cd from each class? wont that be great..

So please...

I agree with you, it's easier to buff one class than to nerf all the other classes / specs. Whatever, I haven't mentioned "what's possible to be changed", I said "what'd be the most clever thing they could do".

Hopefully they add a H2F, a reflect, an innate damage reduction when stunned for all PTs, and a buff to HO making it last 30 seconds with a cooldown of 30 secs. They need to have a constant speed boost imo. Only then they will be able to compete with all the other classes. It's time for PTs to be the new apex DPS on swtor.

Agreed! :p;)

PowerTech is the easiest class in the game (for PvP, never played PvE for real), both dps and tank specs, maybe lethality operative is on the same level. Advanced Prototype is easier than Pyrotech, so I understand why (most) people want the utility that heals you for 40% after energy shield pops.

The problem is, they forget about the other specs. Just moving a utility from mercenary won't work for the PowerTech. Here are my examples:

- Advanced Prototype

The utility that heals you for 40% after energy shield pops is going to make this spec of the PowerTech OVERPOWERED AF (pretty much like merc is atm, lol). This spec has theoretically around (no guarantee for correct numbers) 45 seconds of cooldown for energy shield. For the other specs, energy shield has a constant cooldown duration of 2 minutes, which is going to place the advanced prototype in a huge, huge, hugeeeee advantage over pyrotech.

- Pyrotech

The utility that will increase the power of kolto overload: Kolto overload heals you up to 60% with the doubled tick rate (and whatever, just massive healing). Keep in mind that Pyrotech PowerTechs have a (theoretically) 26.7 second cooldown on kolto overload, where as the other 2 specs have a constant cooldown duration of 3 minutes. Moving this utility to the PT is going to place the pyrotech in a massive advantage over advanced prototype.

- Shieldtech

Well, give it something. Tanks are supposed to be tanky I always thought. But do not move the above mentioned utilities to the PowerTech as its class.

Some of you guys might think "Oh. Well. I got a nice idea! Just move BOTH utilities for kolto overload AND energy shield to the PowerTechs instead of Mercenaries!". You what mate? You should play some other (offline) game without other players where you can hack / cheat your way through the storyline. Players are supposed to die in time.

The only thing I'd considder as serious is moving the 6 second reflect to powertechs, but without the healing, please. See the quote below. Damage dealers should not heal themselves, they should deal damage and have a few DCDs they can mitigate damage with.

Why not just give a baked-in 30% DR when stunned for PTs. Perhaps a reflect would be nice too. Merc DPS wouldn't suffer much if they removed their reflect and gave it to PT, however merc healers need the reflect. Or we could think outside the box! Give PTs something different than all the other classes. Something different than a reflect.

~ "[..] baked-in 30% damage reduction when stunned [...]"

*********** hell, yes! God, why did they remove it.

For moving reflect from mercs to powertechs, see my answer for the quote above.

~ "Give PTs something different than all the other classes. [...]"

Nice idea, why didn't anyone ever mentioned this before? Introduce something actual "new".... Wow. Nice one! Once i read some idea for the shieldtech / tank spec of the powertech:

Give the powertech an ability (maybe instead of that translocate?) that provides 5 charges of a protecting power-probe. Each charge is going to absorb 8000 of incoming single target damage. Lasts for 25 seconds. This ability can be placed on yourself, as well as on a friendly target. If there's any charge left after the duration of this ability, each charge damages nearby enemies for 8000 damage. The charges explode one by one, with a rate of 1 second. Cooldown for the "Protecting Power-Probe" 90 seconds.

The numbers can be changed, of course. Maybe absorb 4000 damage with 10 charges, or nerf / buff it overall. Active time of the placed probes / duration can be 30 seconds or 20 seconds or whatever. Cooldown can be lowered to 1 minute or increased to 2 minutes, i don't care.

I really like this sort of defensive cooldown for the tank spec. I honestly like it. But it's never going to happen. :(

Have a nice day and thanks for reading

Imapowi

Edited by rolandps

- Advanced Prototype

The utility that heals you for 40% after energy shield pops is going to make this spec of the PowerTech OVERPOWERED AF (pretty much like merc is atm, lol). This spec has theoretically around (no guarantee for correct numbers) 45 seconds of cooldown for energy shield. For the other specs, energy shield has a constant cooldown duration of 2 minutes, which is going to place the advanced prototype in a huge, huge, hugeeeee advantage over pyrotech.

- Pyrotech

The utility that will increase the power of kolto overload: Kolto overload heals you up to 60% with the doubled tick rate (and whatever, just massive healing). Keep in mind that Pyrotech PowerTechs have a (theoretically) 26.7 second cooldown on kolto overload, where as the other 2 specs have a constant cooldown duration of 3 minutes. Moving this utility to the PT is going to place the pyrotech in a massive advantage over advanced prototype.

this. never understood why some were asking for the kolto on pt's, and some were asking for the shield heal

i think some new ability would be nicer than the reflect, but les be real, not gonna happen. so giev me reflect thanks musco :)

Nice idea, why didn't anyone ever mentioned this before? Introduce something actual "new".... Wow. Nice one! Once i read some idea for the shieldtech / tank spec of the powertech:

Give the powertech an ability (maybe instead of that translocate?) that provides 5 charges of a protecting power-probe. Each charge is going to absorb 8000 of incoming single target damage. Lasts for 25 seconds. This ability can be placed on yourself, as well as on a friendly target. If there's any charge left after the duration of this ability, each charge damages nearby enemies for 8000 damage. The charges explode one by one, with a rate of 1 second. Cooldown for the "Protecting Power-Probe" 90 seconds.

The numbers can be changed, of course. Maybe absorb 4000 damage with 10 charges, or nerf / buff it overall. Active time of the placed probes / duration can be 30 seconds or 20 seconds or whatever. Cooldown can be lowered to 1 minute or increased to 2 minutes, i don't care.

I really like this sort of defensive cooldown for the tank spec. I honestly like it. But it's never going to happen. :(

Have a nice day and thanks for reading

Imapowi

Never say never. :p

Prior to 4.0, mercs were nothing but glass cannons. I played merc dps extensively prior to 4.0, and was one of the many that cried for DCDs to be given to the merc.

We also theorized and gave ideas what to give the merc, and one was a reflect that healed etc. That was a unique ability and lo and behold eventually the devs added the reflect to mercs.

I believe devs read the forums, and if a point or idea is provided they will consider implementing it.

The new ideas just needs to be given some traction and attention, either by creating threads on the topic that gets responses, or by other ways more direct to higher powers which some people have influence with and can do.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised PTs get some sort of nice buff and DPS sorcs too. All you got to do is follow the past trends with weaker specs, they almost always end up being made relevant and sometimes even OP'd.

I suggest running ideas, particularly your favorite or best with a thread that is very clear and concise that creates dialogue on how to improve the PT. That will give the spec a chance to be improved in the future.