KOTET chap. 6, master mode: defeat rancor as a shadow dps?!

Sundown

Hi there,

I am stuck at KOTET chapter 6 master mode on my shadow dps trying to beat the rancor in the pit.

I have no clue if I am missing something, has anyone done it?

My issues: his swipes seem to have a pretty huge range, def. more than melee range, and hit for 80k.

His jump has a very short casting time and hits for 130k.

So I try to kite and run while throwing pitiful attacks at him, but eventually get cought too often. I use unity, heroic moment, med units, tank adrenals, have specced into all speed increasing utilities, no luck.

I have tried to respecc to serenity (usually running infiltration), but again to no avail.

I know I have to interrupt the snack cast, I try to do it as late as possible because I can squeeze in at least one attack, but all in all I fail miserably. :(

I‘d appreciate any help.

Edited by Sundown

Not sure to what extent I can help you, as I have only done it on merc and mara (certainly easier on range class) and running it on a sin would require me to run all chapters and it's pretty long.

However, a few questions that may or may not help you:

Do you have the 60% DR utility on force speed? Can be pretty useful to avoid predictable big hits.

Are you optimizing your use of resilience? Don't remember if any of his attacks are resistible, deflection is a great help if you can't resist them.

Serenity can be good if you kite constantly with dots up and using 10m stuff, with the occasional melee attack. It is squishier than infiltration though, but you can maybe slowly drag him down, not sure... Maybe try tank spec? It hits pretty hard in DPS gear (with a shield) and might help you last longer. Is your comp high influence?

Sorry if this doesn't help, it's all I could give, I might take a look on my mara again when I have time if you are still stuck.

Thanks a lot for the reply, really appreciated. :)

I specced into that utility, yes, also put the reflect on deflection. Pretty much messed up my build. :)

Maybe I should really try some more runs as serenity - I must have wiped 30 times on infiltration alone. :)

Resilience is used, but maybe not effectively, but not sure if any damage is force/tech. Will need to give it more tries then, as it seems I didn‘t miss a mechanic or trick I could utilize.

Going tank saved me at two fights (Gemini commander and purifier droids), but I thought my damage output might be too low. Can still try using dps gear with shield, never tried that, always run my tank gear as kinetic.

Thanks again, I will not give up. This is the last chapter I need to finish in MM. :)

Yeah keep at it, it's a fun challenge. When I challenged myself to solo every chapter in MM, I nearly gave up on chapter 2 of KOTET (final geno-haradan fight). Wiped for hours on it, then I discovered a mechanic to make it easier. There might be something I forget about that rancor fight, so keep trying and you'll get it eventually. I found this video online of a sorc heal:

Seems like you can let the first snack go out. Also, maybe you can try putting comp on DPS mode and go full out "burn before you get burned". Just throwing ideas out there. that boss is a lot harder for melee than range.

I guess you really have to be pretty flawless, and I get the impression that sometimes it bugs a bit (interrupting the snack, but it still continues).

9% was the best I could manage as kinetic combat with tank gear and dps left side and mainhand. Theron got killed by a slam way too early (around 55%), so I just couldn‘t make it. Positioning is delicate, so neither Theron nor Indo get caught in slams, but you don‘t eat the swipes. It‘s kinetic damage bzw., so resilience will not work I suppose.

Ah, too bad, will take more time.

EDIT: just in case anyone is searching for this topic.

I finally killed the Rancor. Tactics used was to spec as much as possible in speed buffs and Force Wave cd-reduction. This way I was able to kite the Rancor at the entrance from left to right making sure neither Theron nor Indo could be accidentally caught in a slam, and I had many interrupts at my disposal (Spinning kick also out of stealth, hard stun, Force Wave and pull). I didn't even need Heroic moment or unity that way.

Edited by Sundown

• 2 years later...
Yeah keep at it, it's a fun challenge. When I challenged myself to solo every chapter in MM, I nearly gave up on chapter 2 of KOTET (final geno-haradan fight). Wiped for hours on it, then I discovered a mechanic to make it easier. There might be something I forget about that rancor fight, so keep trying and you'll get it eventually. I found this video online of a sorc heal:

Seems like you can let the first snack go out. Also, maybe you can try putting comp on DPS mode and go full out "burn before you get burned". Just throwing ideas out there. that boss is a lot harder for melee than range.

yeah, i feel you. i gave up on genoharadans fight also, had friend come over to help me. lost nerves in soloing, just gave up. but rancor is somewhere close to it. ill try now with theron higher influence and tactics described here. hope it works

yeah, i feel you. i gave up on genoharadans fight also, had friend come over to help me. lost nerves in soloing, just gave up. but rancor is somewhere close to it. ill try now with theron higher influence and tactics described here. hope it works

If it still doesn't work and you're on Star Forge I'm willing to try to help out. Just sent a message so we can set up a time or something:D though I do hope you succed, I was able to after half hour of frustrating deaths due to low influence rank Theron.