This game is not dying

Sure, the game is dying. But he still twitches and has been for years. ;) It will continue as long as you can squeeze out money here. And there they are not at the end for a long time.

Let's take the nice lottery boxes:

About 2 years ago a complete bundle:

-30 boxes

- 5500 cartel coins

- 6 items

Today:

- 24 boxes

- 4800 - 5500 Cartel Coins

- 4 items

:D

As long as there is still money coming in.....

By the way, topics like "SWTOR dies"; "Only 121 (or so) players on the fleet", is not helpful. Especially not if you want the new people to come. ;)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Click bait for the angry and disaffected who love to trash the game. Mission accomplished. :p

Seriously though.. as Jooonbeams pointed out.. regardless of which side of the topic you may personally feel best represents your feelings about the state and health of the game... these threads just go in circles because they are in fact the mother of all tribal contests in the forum... really any gaming forum to be honest. None of us have any hard bankable data as to the health of the game... only anecdotal observations which tend to be presented in a manner to validate the narrative of whatever player is posting them, which simply initiates another lap on this sort of hamster wheel of a topic.

According to the forum.. game has been dying for more than 6 years now... yet here it is.. still being played. Play or don't play.... but please stop the nonsense of this perpetual slap-fest over dying/not-dying, dead/not-dead.

Edited by Andryah

I made my peace long ago that the game was not attracting new players (and, by my own arguments, not only dying but doing so in a meaningful sense).

But I also made my peace with still holding my subscription and playing until the servers get shut down. Who knows, the horse might learn to sing, or the game might stabilize at a point at which the income is higher than the outgo, especially with the slower release cadences. Running an MMO is cheap, development of new content is expensive (mostly in time, but some of money as well)

To add some "data"

Last night (a Sunday) at around 9 pm Central on Star Forge there were over 200 people on Tython (one instance of around 150 and another of about 70). It was to the point I stopped playing that character because I could not complete the scanning droids mission (which has a kill X droids bonus) because the entire Kaleth area was bereft of droids with a dozen or more people running all over looking for them. Imperial Balmora had about 120 (and has been at this level for weeks - I have been running the Balmora heroics once a week for CXP for the last several months). Coruscant had almost 200 people across two instances.

Recently on low level planets there has not really been a lower populated instance open to run heroics outside the PVP zone which is a ghost town. Even Voss crossed 50 people on planet that night. These are numbers on the planets that have not been seen in years (since KotFE). Now on the fleet side there were over 200 at about the same time so overall population seems to be up in the last few weeks at least in prime time. None of these were linked to Conquest so it was not a matter of people "trying to finish out conquest".

I'll remember to get screenshots next time for those that want "proof".

Edit: Almost 140 on Imperial Balmora at ~6 pm Central on a Monday (have screenshots this time)

Edit 2: About 150 on Tython at ~ 8pm Central (have screenshot)

Edited by DWho

Right now there is people in Korriban 137 and in the rep side starter planet 110, I keep seeing new low level players in everyday on these planets. Yesterday there was an RP group on sith academy entrance, that was a crowded group.

so no, this game is not dying.

and NOW what? Are you going to debate with me how old game engine is? an error in the game's source code? or perhaps all those plenty people are spam bots?

Have a nice day

/////////////////////////////////////////venting complete///////////////////////////////////////////

Not sure what you’re venting about? Are you angry the game isn’t dying from your perspective ;)

On a serious note. Logging in once on a weekend when a guild or a bunch of people might be RPing on a starter planet is no way to tell if a game is dying or thriving. You might have seen 80% of the people logged into the game for all you know. Guilds or groups (RPers) usually plan these things in advantage so they can all get on at the same time.

If you want to check these things correctly, login 4 times across the whole day/night period, on each server, each faction, each planet/location for 14-30 days in a row.

Take screen shots or record in a diary so that you can track the population as you do it. This is what people do, who want to actually check it properly.

It's ok next time I post something here I will gather some CIA level proof. :eek:

It’s what the rest of us try and do, other wise you open yourself up for making wild statements.

You could at least list the server and the georgraphical times and days.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It’s so weird to me why anyone who enjoys this game would wish to see it die. I understand (completely) that BW made some boneheaded errors, but no game is perfect. I rave about FFXIV because along with SWTOR, it’s my main MMO. But there’s a lot of stuff about that game that irritates me, too.

Folks, SWTOR is all we’ve got as far as a Star Wars MMO goes. And it’s probaby all we’re ever going to get. Sure, there’ll be new SW video games. Some will even be multiplayer and have MMO elements. Like the Battlefront games. But if you want a straight up Star Wars MMO, this is it.

I’d enjoy the heck out of it while it lasts.

Folks, SWTOR is all we’ve got as far as a Star Wars MMO goes. And it’s probaby all we’re ever going to get. Sure, there’ll be new SW video games. Some will even be multiplayer and have MMO elements. Like the Battlefront games. But if you want a straight up Star Wars MMO, this is it.

I’d enjoy the heck out of it while it lasts.

What we need is swtor 2 :D

Or another real SW MMO.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Starter planets will always be the most crowded instances in SWTOR, if combining all starter planet numbers you usually get more people than with fleets combined (especially now that people sit in their SHs more).

Starter planets/areas are ALWAYS busy no matter what MMO you play.

I just recently redownloaded Tera because i like jumping MMOs and it has like 500 people on a server. You hardly see any people around unless it's a quest hub or event area. But the starting area was still bubbling ;)

When this game launched, there were more than 20 servers. Now there are 5.

Korriban, tython, ord mantell, and hutta may have 100+ people, but by the time you get to taris you see less than a dozen.

The game hasnt received a significant update or introduction of new content in ages.

You're in denial.

Yeah the game is dying. You can't even find decent theorycrafting on all of the classes.

Can't even find completed guides for all the specs on the most respected SWTOR informational website on the planet, that being Dulfy. Surely this is a clear sign death has it's fingertips clasped upon the backside of SWTOR.

When this game launched, there were more than 20 servers. Now there are 5.

Korriban, tython, ord mantell, and hutta may have 100+ people, but by the time you get to taris you see less than a dozen.

The game hasnt received a significant update or introduction of new content in ages.

You're in denial.

There was about 40ish people on Taris pub side on Star Forge on Sunday night. Fifty-something on Saturday. I imagine there was probably more imp side but I really don't play empire.

I'm not saying the game is healthy, but it's not dying either. It's in some sort of weird purgatory.

Can't even find completed guides for all the specs on the most respected SWTOR informational website on the planet, that being Dulfy. Surely this is a clear sign death has it's fingertips clasped upon the backside of SWTOR.

That too..

Lack of guides is a worrisome sign.

It might just be fallout from the large exodus around 4.x of veterans, but by now you'd think someone would have stepped up.

Its' most likely because from 4.0 to present... they have made the game much more solo friendly and had much more solo focus, with less need for grouping.. and as such..... class guides are somewhat of a waste of effort for fan sites in this context. Not that Dulfy's were her work per se .. they were for the most part assembled by some player who liked doing guides and played a particular class as their main. Dulfy gets credit for knowing who, and how to entice them to write a guide. And yes.. guides are typically written by savvy analytical types..... which I am sure have left the game because they want complex MMOs to play. And guides are typically driven by an ongoing influx of new players who are MMO veterans and expect guides to map out everything for them in a class. This MMO is almost 7 years old.. and not seeing a lot of brand new players (based on forum member numbers).

Honestly.. I don't see the presence or absence of anything on the internet as indicative of any games health these days.... what with many people unable to even interact with the internet except through their smart phone.. which is sound bite heaven.. and not conducive to lucid discussion of anything in any detail.

Edited by Andryah

Its' most likely because from 4.0 to present... they have made the game much more solo friendly and had much more solo focus, with less need for grouping.. and as such..... class guides are somewhat of a waste of effort for fan sites in this context. Not that Dulfy's were her work per se .. they were for the most part assembled by some player who liked doing guides and played a particular class as their main. Dulfy gets credit for knowing who, and how to entice them to write a guide. And guides are typically driven by an ongoing influx of new players who are MMO veterans and expect guides to map out everything for them in a class. This MMO is almost 7 years old.. and not seeing a lot of brand new players (based on forum member numbers).

Honestly.. I don't see the presence or absence of anything on the internet as indicative of any games health these days.... what with many people unable to even interact with the internet except through their smart phone.. which is sound bite heaven.. and not conducive to lucid discussion of anything in any detail.

Rear bull cookies. That game that shall not be named is JUST as solo friendly as this one and has guides on every role and spec. And they're out for public viewing normally the day the xpac drops. They go all the way down to telling you what is your BiS gear pieces and from where they drop.

If anything is true about the gaming community is that we freely share information. People aren't even creating it.

Edited by Tahana

People see what they want to see and believe what they want. The game is dying threads are just as one sided as the game is not dying threads, by who ever happens to be the thread starter on which ever side they happen to be on. I never see the point of these endless threads about this topic.

I saw SWTOR screenshot submitted as part of a meme on /r/prequelmemes last week.

The newly released movies are so bad, people are looking for anything worth salvaging in the star wars saga nowadays.

If the prequel trilogy and the clone wars had their revivals, maybe SWTOR can too.

Edited by Falensawino

Rear bull cookies. That game that shall not be named is JUST as solo friendly as this one and has guides on every role and spec. And they're out for public viewing normally the day the xpac drops. They go all the way down to telling you what is your BiS gear pieces and from where they drop.

If anything is true about the gaming community is that we freely share information. People aren't even creating it.

What game is that? Because if you're talking about WoW, I was unaware that Blizzard made every single dungeon in that game with a solo mode now. Not being sarcastic. I honestly didn't know that. If that's the case then kudos to them! Had no idea can go from level 1 to 110 without ever having to group up unless you simply wanted to.

The last time I played WoW, which was Legion, dungeons and group content were still required to progress through the zones. Did they change that for BFA?

SWTOR doesn't have any such requirements. You can solo the entirety of the game all the way to max level.

Right now there is people in Korriban 137 and in the rep side starter planet 110, I keep seeing new low level players in everyday on these planets. Yesterday there was an RP group on sith academy entrance, that was a crowded group.

so no, this game is not dying.

Every MMO I played, someone ranted about the game dying. Even MMO's which now exist for 10 - 20 years (everquest is old right?)

I was always told to disregard 'the negatives'. Those are players who always see an empty glass.

I saw SWTOR screenshot submitted as part of a meme on /r/prequelmemes last week.

The newly released movies are so bad, people are looking for anything worth salvaging in the star wars saga nowadays.

If the prequel trilogy and the clone wars had their revivals, maybe SWTOR can too.

That's the thing there's just nothing worth salvaging.

If EA knew what was up they would go over to /r/swtor and see what the folks are saying over there. No one is happy with the game no one wants to play it. New players are being told to stay away from TOR and check out FFXIV as it gets great content updates. EA doesn't even post on there when people like Eric would be welcome to post and talk to the community.

Really at this point? Disney just needs to stop the movies. Episode 9 is going to bomb hard more so after TLJ was a bomb with people. I mean thankfully they look to be waking up to things with Marvel. I am wanting them to do the same with Star Wars.