Rewards for playing on the PTS

Lhancelot

Are there any? Perhaps if not, some could be offered to get people to DL it and provide valuable input seeing it takes time and effort to DL the PTS and partake. I don't see a problem with rewards being offered for participation. Edited by Lhancelot

The problem with rewards is people will download and install and then not actually do any meaningful testing and feedback ... just to get the reward. It requires some real planning and effort to put in incentives that are not simply gamed for the incentive... but rather motivate players to actually do real testing and feedback.

I agree that some incentive would be good for those that do actual constructive and valuable testing ... but incentives quickly become the reason rather then the reward. It's almost impossible to tell the real and diligent testers from the reward chasers in any manageable way.

If players have an actual interest in PvP.. and providing feedback on this upcoming largely PvP patch.. then that should be reward enough in my view --> making PvP better.

Edited by Andryah

The problem with rewards is people will download and install and then not actually do any meaningful testing and feedback ... just to get the reward. It requires some real planning and effort to put in incentives that are not simply gamed for the incentive... but rather motivate players to actually do real testing and feedback.

I agree that some incentive would be good for those that do actual constructive and valuable testing ... but incentives quickly become the reason rather then the reward. It's almost impossible to tell the real and diligent testers from the reward chasers in any manageable way.

If players have an actual interest in PvP.. and providing feedback on this upcoming largely PvP patch.. then that should be reward enough in my view --> making PvP better.

Yeah, thing is what does BW lose if they grant awards for people logging into PTS if they grant rewards... Pixels? It won't hurt them and if anything it will encourage more people to DL the PTS server and log into it.

Just getting the horse to the water is the first step, if the horse drinks or not we can't control. With nothing to lose though, I see no reason why they don't consider offering some harmless rewards for the time and investment people put into it.

I tested stuff in the past and never expected rewards for it, but I can see how it would encourage many others to try PTS if given some carrots.

I mean it's being realistic here too, some people really are only motivated when they have something to personally gain from a situation that requires their time or energy.

Edited by Lhancelot

They could always require you to do x-amount of content which then prompts an in-game survey/weblink upon completion and only once/if that is filled out do you get a reward matching the content you've tested.

That's a good idea. I am sure there's tons of ways they could monitor and reward people appropriately if they wanted to ensure people were awarded for the time they spent testing stuff out.

Are there any? Perhaps if not, some could be offered to get people to DL it and provide valuable input seeing it takes time and effort to DL the PTS and partake. I don't see a problem with rewards being offered for participation.

I would have disagreed about rewards if it didn’t take over 12 hours for me to download it.

I may be remembering incorrectly (old age does that to you), but when they tested OPG and the new arena at that time on the PTS, I'm pretty sure they did 2 things that helped participation. One was that they announced that the devs would be playing PvP matches (albeit, anonymously) at certain times, and they also offered cartel coins for logging on and playing during those times.

Are there any? Perhaps if not, some could be offered to get people to DL it and provide valuable input seeing it takes time and effort to DL the PTS and partake. I don't see a problem with rewards being offered for participation.

Your reward is the knowledge that,

The Valuable feedback you provide will allow the developers to improve and repair any issues you may have found and to add any new and interesting ideas to the game from the feedback provided making the game better and more stable for all to enjoy....:eek:

What more of a reward could one possibly desire than that? :p:rolleyes:

Since it takes so long to DL it, you are doing the devs a favor by testing their programming on the ground and game testing IS an actual paid job, I think they should show some token of appreciation - maybe a CC grant (even a small one, like 20 CC you get for some achievements) or a new title or flare.