Command tokens

RiChess

So I'm a little curious, why do they scale massively with command rank? The only time you need them is when you're sub 230. When you're CL200-300 command tokens are worthless outside of boosts, I have a good 40 boosts in my bank, and a something like 4k tokens in my command stash over my alts. It feels a bit wrong to disintegrate them, there should be an expensive way to convert them to end game gear.

Any thoughts?

So I'm a little curious, why do they scale massively with command rank? The only time you need them is when you're sub 230. When you're CL200-300 command tokens are worthless outside of boosts, I have a good 40 boosts in my bank, and a something like 4k tokens in my command stash over my alts. It feels a bit wrong to disintegrate them, there should be an expensive way to convert them to end game gear.

Any thoughts?

Agreed.

They could always use the tokens for currency to buy armorings, enhancements, mods etc. if they added vendors that sold gears and mods like the old PVP vendors used to do when we could customize our toons seamlessly and by playing alts!

Command tokens then would have a very useful purpose and the gearing system would become that much more fun.

I use them to gear my fresh 70 alts. That makes them useful up until I run out of alts to gear.

I do this too the problem is gearing an alt takes so long that I accrue tons of these tokens as I work on my next alt.

They should consider bringing back gear vendors that sell mods, enhancements, etc. Then we could use the tokens to customize our toons easier on mods and other pieces of gear instead of 100% relying on RNG which is unforgiving, even in it's present iteration.

I am tired of disintegrating items and gears that are duplicates for next to nothing when my alts could be using them. These command tokens and/or Unassembled Components could be used as currency for gear vendors selling mods.

So I'm a little curious, why do they scale massively with command rank? ...

Any thoughts?

Gearing Alts, Crafting High End Gear, Boosts.

Whenever I hit the cap, I go and buy crafting mats. Also buying entry gear for alts is a good idea.

I myself never leave command tokens stashed. Its a waste imo.

If you don't know what to do, buy crafting mats and put it to sell at GTN. Theres a whole part of the game economy depending on those mats. Or are you going to say that creds are useless too?

Edited by RafaelPeretz

Gearing Alts, Crafting High End Gear, Boosts.

Whenever I hit the cap, I go and buy crafting mats. Also buying entry gear for alts is a good idea.

I myself never leave command tokens stashed. Its a waste imo.

If you don't know what to do, buy crafting mats and put it to sell at GTN. Theres a whole part of the game economy depending on those mats. Or are you going to say that creds are useless too?

It's better than nothing, but you only get around 2.5mil out of 3k command tokens by converting them to recombinators and selling. Not super worth the effort unless you're credit starved (to me anyways).

The only reason they came with command tokens at all is to hide their failure with Galactic Command. When they decided to change back to ops bosses dropping gear tokens, it would basically mean that raiders would not be part of GC anymore cause they wouldn't care so they made command tokens to link ops to GC and made it so NiM bosses don't drop 248 pieces (except the last boss) so people still needed to use GC.

This was before UCs became available outside of PvE which was done afterwards to limit the RNG factor.

All in all GC was a terrible idea and to fix it they wasted a lot of resources on "tweaking: it into the big, convoluted mess it is today.

It was and is one of the three reasons why I quit playing this game start of the year. See my signature if you wonder how I can post here.

The only reason they came with command tokens at all is to hide their failure with Galactic Command. When they decided to change back to ops bosses dropping gear tokens, it would basically mean that raiders would not be part of GC anymore cause they wouldn't care so they made command tokens to link ops to GC and made it so NiM bosses don't drop 248 pieces (except the last boss) so people still needed to use GC.

This was before UCs became available outside of PvE which was done afterwards to limit the RNG factor.

All in all GC was a terrible idea and to fix it they wasted a lot of resources on "tweaking: it into the big, convoluted mess it is today.

It was and is one of the three reasons why I quit playing this game start of the year. See my signature if you wonder how I can post here.

Tsillah, your posts are starting to creep me out a bit. You quit and deleted your characters. Yet here you are.

You are reinforcing the narrative that 5.0 was a disaster, which is old news. Even so-called White Knights like Andryah et moi admit that.

But...I don't take seriously anyone talking about GC pre-5.6 which was last November. You are eight months late to the game.

It's time to move on and make 6.0 as good as it can be. Not sure how you contribute to that since you keep reminding us you quit, deleted your characters, and are here only on referral. I can only surmise you don't want to contribute and want to get your final digs in. If so -- have at it.

Dasty

P.S. In terms of the OP, I think it would be awesome if they added more items. Ditto DvL vendors too. I mean -- why not?

Edited by Jdast

I quit shortly after they gutted the old gearing system myself. Just got back and finally leveled my first toon to 300 CXP just this week.

I couldn't believe they basically spent years finally getting the gearing system right making it alt friendly and allowing us to FINALLY transfer WZ comms from alt to alt only to remove the entire system with the CXP system that was utterly inferior with 5.0.

Even years after "tweaks" the new system is still inferior particularly with RNG being the largest factor it's predicated on.

Not allowing us to move all crate loots/gears via legacy makes zero sense to me and only makes for an even more insufferable grindfest that's not necessary and not fun.

Disintegrating earpieces, implants, relics that could be used on alts is dumb. Getting 9-10 Unassembled Components or w/e it is for disintegrating them is dumb. These items ought to be transferable via legacy.

Command tokens are actually an odd currency. You have too many of them too fast. Being a legacy currency, besides the very first character's 100 CR levels, you would always be swimming in them. I am always stuck on top of the limit with thousands stuck on my stash on each of my alts (accommodating for more than 10k outside of my main inventory).

The cost of using these for gear is also very low, and the CXP boosts pop from a lootbox at least once in the 2h duration of a CXP boost (if you play a CXP activity such as PVP/GSF/GF and even mere chapters and heroics), so no need to buy these.

The best usage to them that I found is buying Iokath recombinators in 3k and selling them in 9k (when it was 35k it was far more fun :(). I don't actually do that, too boring. I just stack them endlessly for now, in case I ever fill like fully gearing 10 toons...

P.S: When complaining about the small impairment in making gearing alt-friendly, remember that until 3.0 we had PRIMARY STATS. It used to be far less alt-friendly then (unless you really loved alts of the same class and spec).

Edited by Rafiknoll

Tsillah, your posts are starting to creep me out a bit. You quit and deleted your characters. Yet here you are.

You are reinforcing the narrative that 5.0 was a disaster, which is old news. Even so-called White Knights like Andryah et moi admit that.

But...I don't take seriously anyone talking about GC pre-5.6 which was last November. You are eight months late to the game.

It's time to move on and make 6.0 as good as it can be. Not sure how you contribute to that since you keep reminding us you quit, deleted your characters, and are here only on referral. I can only surmise you don't want to contribute and want to get your final digs in. If so -- have at it.

Dasty

P.S. In terms of the OP, I think it would be awesome if they added more items. Ditto DvL vendors too. I mean -- why not?

No need to be creeped out. I no longer play but I do look at the forums from time to time just to see what's happening. There are people who like to discuss topics even when they don't participate in them. It's not unusual. Also yes I deleted my characters because I didn't really want to step away from the game unless I was serious. So I proved it that way to me. Perhaps it was a mistake to mention it here but I to me it was meant to show to people not how bad things were but that it was serious to me because I had quit before and come back a few months later. Well, reality that I haven't played in 7 months but I am still interested in what happens with the game. Make of that wat you will but I did play it passionately for about 6 years and well I just do like discussing things in general. Call it a fault but there it is.

To be fair I only got the referal because someone really misused a term and I thought well hey I can use a referal I think and indeed that worked. I'm not really triggered by people having an opposing view but faulty reasoning and grave misuse of language (which confuses matters) can trigger me. I am aware of that so I cut it short when I see it going the wrong way in a discussion.

I suppose that you cannot fathom still being interested in discussing a game after you stop playing it but I've found that this is rather more common and so understand it or not, that's where it's at. I can guarantee you however that as soon as maintenance wipes this referal clean again I'll be gone again and I won't be back 3 months later. Hell it took me more than 6 months now and if someone hadn't made such a grievous language error I wouldn't have bothered to get this referal. But I do like to discuss topics. I do realize though that I'm not up to speed on all the latest.

However, this question here is historical. It's about the why and everything I said in my reply is from the time I definitely still played and some people may have missed how it all came to be. And that's the part I answered.

You may or may not agree with my assessment but the truth is that when 5.0 was introduced there were no command tokens. They were introduced when they brought back gear tokens in boss fights. That's a fact.

Now since they don't actually serve a real purpose and you get an overkill amount of command tokens compared to how many you need anyways, especially since the boosts started dropping from the command packs, I think my interpretation that it's only purpose was to keep raiding linked to galactic command is not an unreasonable one.

I mean when I left at the start of January I had token counters in my inventory because my characters reached their max and I had nothing to spend them on.

So if you want, maybe you can answer me this question (knowing that I just like to discuss it and don't need to convince or be convinced), what would be the problem if command tokens were simply removed from the game? It's an unnecessary currency and the command token cost for exchanging gear tokens is completely unnecessary and there are plenty of alternatives for the 230 gear vendor that already exist in game. It's a completely superfluous currency in other words. So indeed why not remove them altogether?