Long Term Survival of Swotr

srtyab

Dear Dev team,

I realize in writing this, its unlikely any of it will happen, but i felt it was worth at least mentioning. I was watching a history of wow on mmo champion, and seeing all the work the team had done to improve the game. Huge improvements to the game's engine, a 64 bit client, a re-do of all early level areas, and many, many, many other things. They charge 15 dollars a month for their game. So do you. See my issue?

I love star wars. I enjoy the world you've created. I've had many hours of fun. But staying, is becoming more, and more difficult. I simply can't justify spending money on a game that seems stuck in a time warp, when it could be spent on a development team that's investing in their product. More story is fantastic, but if everything else in the game is awful, you're wonderful story gets drowned out by the constant bugs, game play issues, and crappy grouping experience. Then there's the 32 bit client (gag) and the textures that haven't changed since i started playing six years ago.

I know resources are an issue. I know someone who used to work there. But i think, if you look at a game like Battlefront II, and realize what this game could look like? the huge number of people who'd return, and pay for a sub, its worth the risk. I doubt this will even be read by anyone who could change the trajectory of the game, but I felt it was worth saying something, before leaving. I wish you all the best.

Is this a goodbye thread or just a rant one?

Regardless of which is it. Bioware is not to blame here for the lack of investment, EA is the one who calls the shots and unfortunately they won't ever invest that kind of money into the game unless a huge surge in subs happen which would be a miracle. Yes, but don't they also charge for the expansions? The last charged expansion was SOR years ago, both KOTFE and KOTET were unlocked just by being a sub. They have done graphical updates to the game, textures and the like, of course not on the level of Battlefront. I mean seriously not wanting to be rude here but did you meant the game should rework itself to look like Battlefront? Because that would be waaaaay expensive. I do agree the lack of content is sad though but what we have is what we're going to get until the game closes, EA won't invest in SWTOR like that. Which is sad, the devs can sometimes come with pretty cool things.

Edited by FlameYOL

i'm going to get slack for this, but here goes....EA is brilliant. Apply minimal effort and reap maximum rewards. Considering that this is the only mainstream Star Wars MMORPG, not counting the EMUs of course, people will play this game. In fact, I'd go out on a limb to say this is the best sci-fi MMORPG currently on the market. It behooves them not to change their method. Why? Because it works! All they have to do is regurgitate old content and continue to benefit. "They got the best crack rock on the streets and they know it." Edited by TonyTricicolo

SWTOR is a good game but it was ruined for me by 5.0 for various reasons that haven't been addressed yet. But I think that if you don't have a problem with the, in my view, ridiculously convoluted and detrimental reward system and are ok with a trickle of new content, this game really is a great game in my view.

I also think that the population has been hit severely yet again last year but that doesn't mean the game cannot last for many years yet.

In fact as long as the biggest whales stick around and spend with a core group of subs to create a foundation, the game can go on for quite some time. The server merges to new hardware surely reduced the maintenance costs considerably for them and I suspect that in essence there are only two servers with some subsections each but I digress. Also the upcoming warzone changes (cross faction) will ensure that PvP can remain at least decently viable with the currently smaller population.

I'd say that ever since the disastrous launch of 5.0, pretty much everything that BW have done is to stabilize the game and add bits of content where possible. That is essentially the limit of the resources at work.

My view is that the game can last for years to come yet, just with the staunches fans and whales supporting the game enough for them to turn a profit. Love it or hate it, that's where it's at. The game will never be up and in the rise again as much as people may want that. I'm sure that ship has sailed some time ago. But if that's good enough for you to stay and spend in the CM, then this game will keep going for sure.

Once the final server merges happen and the game really goes into maintenance mode then you still have at least a few years left in the game provided people stay and spend and least a little something. And we're not there yet. Now we don't know what's going to happen with the SW license EA currently has but I fully expect SWTOR to live at least till 2023 when that license runs out.

It's difficult but there is a difference between a game failing for you personally and in general. For me it failed with 5.0 and it hasn't recovered from it as far as I'm concerned. But that doesn't mean the game is dead. I don't really expect them to fix what I want but perhaps they will make some changes that I don't expect but no, I don't really think that will happen and that's too bad for me but that's all I can say about it. I really think this game will be around for years still, it just isn't the game anymore I used to enjoy for many years. Such is life. I think it's pointless to worry about the long term for this game.

Blizzard owns the intellectual property to World of Warcaft and can subsequently develop it without paying royalties to itself or having to contract with itself for permission to use that intellectual property.

EA doesn't own the IP rights to Star Wars, and as mentioned in its own shareholder report, the SW franchise is a hot commodity (I'm obviously paraphrasing) so the costly nature of holding onto future rights to use the IP from Disney will forever be a question until the day it isn't (and EA no longer invests in any agreement with Disney for SW).

Bummer, reality.

Enjoy things while they last.

Edited by xordevoreaux

i'm going to get slack for this, but here goes....EA is brilliant. Apply minimal effort and reap maximum rewards. Considering that this is the only mainstream Star Wars MMORPG, not counting the EMUs of course, people will play this game. In fact, I'd go out on a limb to say this is the best sci-fi MMORPG currently on the market. It behooves them not to change their method. Why? Because it works! All they have to do is regurgitate old content and continue to benefit. "They got the best crack rock on the streets and they know it."

You're not wrong though, I mean in that regard EA is genius, minimum investment maximum profit. Which is all their philosophy is about sadly.

Is this a goodbye thread or just a rant one?

Regardless of which is it. Bioware is not to blame here for the lack of investment, EA is the one who calls the shots and unfortunately they won't ever invest that kind of money into the game unless a huge surge in subs happen which would be a miracle. Yes, but don't they also charge for the expansions? The last charged expansion was SOR years ago, both KOTFE and KOTET were unlocked just by being a sub. They have done graphical updates to the game, textures and the like, of course not on the level of Battlefront. I mean seriously not wanting to be rude here but did you meant the game should rework itself to look like Battlefront? Because that would be waaaaay expensive. I do agree the lack of content is sad though but what we have is what we're going to get until the game closes, EA won't invest in SWTOR like that. Which is sad, the devs can sometimes come with pretty cool things.

Yes, admittedly, its a bit of a rant. I see so much potential, and so much waste. I'd like to keep playing but i can't really justify spending money on an inferior product. It'd be wonderful to see major improvements (and bugs squashed) in the next expansion, but I'm realistic. I know they won't do anything.

Yes, admittedly, its a bit of a rant. I see so much potential, and so much waste. I'd like to keep playing but i can't really justify spending money on an inferior product. It'd be wonderful to see major improvements (and bugs squashed) in the next expansion, but I'm realistic. I know they won't do anything.

Yes, the game has a lot more potential but we've got to live on reality, EA will keep the minimal investment as opposed to major investment. If you really feel that way then I can't blame you for leaving really, maybe come back once the expansion hits if it interests you, but if you're unsatisfied as a customer then it's your right to take your money elsewhere.