Don't Fret! Activity Dropped A Little Just Because It Is Summer.

Ylliarus

I'd agree with you on this too, but even as an adult, or parent the summer can pose a different lifestyle. Your children are out of school, and people plan vacations during the summer with their kids out. And let's not forget pool parties, and barbecues, family get togethers. This was me years ago, not so much now. Summer was much more active than the winter months.

Yes, and the stereotype of the MMO player as someone who is always indoors isn't really accurate all the time IMHO. I most definitely go out in the summer more than I do when it's freezing. There's usually more happening around town, as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No kidding lol. I think it's kinda funny that we're all assumed to be children who are on summer break, being ushered outside to play with our friends...that hasn't been the case since the 80's. I'm also kinda curious what the assumption is that we're doing outside exactly? I see the decline in players in the evening hours, when there's no light outside...what kinda evening activities am I missing out on that occur after dark during the summer only?

Where I live we are having a heat wave. If anyone is outside they are wilting, not playing. After dark it is getting barely cool enough to go out for walks or to grill.

Yes, and the stereotype of the MMO player as someone who is always indoors isn't really accurate all the time IMHO. I most definitely go out in the summer more than I do when it's freezing. There's usually more happening around town, as well.

I'm mostly indoors!! /Fitsstereotype.

:rak_03:

I'm mostly indoors!! /Fitsstereotype.

:rak_03:

I don't like the heat but staying inside a lot gets on my nerves as well. I have a invalid mom I take care of as well so there are times I just need to go for a walk to relieve the stress.

Yes yes...sure. Just now its been 30 minute wait for GSF pop on DM and 5 min wait for 70 lvl PvP pop on DM...even in the old Red Eclipse such wait times were almost nonexistent even during this so called "summer". There were lot quicker pops. But sure its not the population dropping from 3 servers as opposed to 1 - the old TRE...but its that damn summer.

I have seen a rise in the number of threads saying "Is X amount of people on Fleet normal at Y hour?" or along the same line but dipped more deeply in negativity. As someone who has been playing this game for more than five years I want to put the mind's of those worried at ease by saying that it is perfectly normal this time of year!

I have only read the OP and here is my reply which probably has been already mentioned by someone else:

In June 2017 we had (these are made up example-numbers!):

100 players on republic fleet on ToFN + 100 players on republic fleet on TRE + 100 players on republic fleet on TP

In June 2018 we have:

100 players on republic fleet on DM

Yes. As every summer the numbers dropped. The difference is: Now we have 1 server instead of 3. If you don't get that math, I don't know what else to say.

I remember people saying that populations drop in summer for 6 years now. The thing is that populations on the US servers are now about the same as they were back in 2012 on Drooga's Pleasure barge, and 2 years ago on the Harbinger.

The real issue is that fewer people play the game this summer compared to previous summers.

This game needs to do something to give people a reason to want to play, instead of doing things that chase players away like introducing Galactic Command, spending months of development time to nerf players, making unwanted changes to conquest, going nearly 3 years without the completion of a new operation, and etc.

We need a content cycle similar to that provided starting with patch 1.4 on 9/26/2012 through the (early) launch of SoR on 12/2/2014.

Anything less than that will lead to another year of population decline, and next summer, when people remark how activity drops in the summer, they will be talking to a smaller audience.

Where I live we are having a heat wave. If anyone is outside they are wilting, not playing. After dark it is getting barely cool enough to go out for walks or to grill.

I’m from Australia and our average temps in summer are above 30”c (86”f). We can go for weeks where it’s closer to 40”c (104”f) or above and that’s near the coast and in lower NSW (hour south of Sydney). It stays hotter for longer further north and they often have more humidity too.

We are a hot country in summer and we do spend a lot of time in the sun. But you can’t do it all day as it’s exhausting and if you dont have a pool or a beach close by, people stay in doors to stay out of the heat. You also have to worry about sun burn in Australia as we have some of the highest numbers of cases of melanoma skin cancer.

I surf every day in summer but it’s only for a few hours and then I’m home gaming.

I’m sure it gets just as hot in the southern parts of Europe and America. You can’t always use “its summer” as an excuse for less people being online.

I can understand people in the UK saying they spend their summers outside cause it’s miserable most of the time and their summer is like our spring/autumn and sometimes our winter :D (Sorry, I just had to poke the Aussie vs Pommy rivalry). Have you ever seen a tanned Englishman who got the tan naturally in their own country? We call them red lobsters when they come to Australia cause they turn into them within a day of landing ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss