Statistics of 100 SR matches

Lundorff

Yes I have considered this many times, but if you look at the matches from the peaks of 1467 and 1471 there is nothing I can do. I can not see how anyone is capable of winning these 4 v 3 matches or dealing with insta-kill players or terrible tanks.

I would love to see similar statistics from gold rated dps players. If these players are capable of doing ~50% of dps and winning these seemingly unwinnable matches, then sure, I will know my place and be done. I just don't see how that is possible.

That's pretty neat Lundorff, all the info you compiled and being our own swtor guinea pig in ranked just to share the experience you had.

That being said, I have come to the conclusion that there are players who simply can do things I can't understand or ever replicate.

I have had matches where I think I played my best game ever, guess what? A guy with the same class beat my numbers by 20%. It's no fluke, the same guy also nearly always does it.

You are a great player, but guess what. There are people that play at a level that is far above even you. I don't say that in a demeaning way either.

I think it's just a combination of many things. Player skill. Better connection. Luck. Yes, even luck plays a part of how matches fair for some of the best players.

Like someone above said, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

I would suggest seek out a jugg you see that always does amazing, and see if they can share some tips. Maybe even run games with them, ask about gears etc. Sometimes these elite players have tricks and ideas on gearing that are not shared on the guides.

Edited by Lhancelot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I don't like ranked. It's as much about gaming the system as having any form of real skill. Solo ranked is all about what team gets the better makeup, Quesyncing, etc.

Hmm, well I'll start by saying that I've only ever done ranked a few times, to get a few charged matter pieces I wanted. I just don't care about ranking, at all. And I don't like the arena format much. So maybe this is way off base, but...

The original poster pretty clearly said that, IN HIS EXPERIENCE (sorry if you are a her), the "broken games" pretty much evened out. I've read a ton of posts here in all kinds of threads, with people saying "oh yeah, you have to queue sync, queue dodge, cheat, etc." in order to deal with ranked and climb the ladder. But this thread is the first one I've seen where anyone actually had ANY hard numbers to back anything up. And here the hard numbers show that the broken-type games apparently favored the poster as much as disfavored him.

I dunno. I think people have a tendency to remember when the bad things happened to their side more so than when it happened to the other. If there are 10 games, and 3 are broken in "my" teams's favor, and 3 are broken against my team... I think most people's summary of that is "30% of the games are impossible to win!". And they forget the part where "also 30% of the game were a guaranteed win".

I guess I can see where someone who successfully "beats the system" would artificially rise in rank. But the little bit I played SR, it was mostly imp v. imp matches (on SS). So if someone got into the queue throwing matches, I was just as likely to see them on my side as the other. So I'm not sure how, after getting a couple matches with them on my side, I'm helping myself by stopping?

All of this was on SS. I am not going to name anyone, as I am being rather verbal in my description in some of these matches.

I wasn't going to say anything caus idk DM players or DM solo ranked. But I main SS so I will give my 2 cents here.

I have no idea how old these matches and screenshots are, but solo ranked on SS right now is a meme. The trash players, who are usually average to sub-average, are pulling high numbers because the rest of the que is even worse. Every single game is either a 3v4 or a 3v3 because there are bots or matt farmers.

There is a merc named Game-changer who will charge in first every single round, and net instantly. And it works every single time because the average player in que has no idea how to counter it, whereas any halfway-decent team would get him to pop most if not all his cds by the time his team had entered the fight.

The que is atrocious, with at least 1 if not 2 or 3 players getting globaled every single game. Even decent players no longer play on their main classes.

It's just that time of the season where all the good players stop playing solo ranked, all the memes come out, and all the kids with no business in ranked at all want shiny rewards. This in no way of saying you are a meme, but you shouldn't use screenshots and numbers to try and analyze, the quality of the que, the quality of your playing, or compare yourself to other players.

Again if you really want comments and suggestions from 2k+ players then produce a video/videos of your gameplay.

OP, don't forget many of the 2k+ players game the system. These so-called "good" players que at the start of the season where it's the easiest to climb, they keep queing when they consistently get other competent players, queue dodge and sometimes que sync as well.

Not only that, there has been so much exploiting and wintrading going on since the beginning of ranked. Just look at backfilling and Lyala's wintrading service.

Don't take anything these "good" players say seriously. If you want to climb you're going to have to keep up with the new seasons, que at the beginning, que dodge and sync to climb. If you que later in the season you're just gonna deal with memes and players that have no business in ranked trying to go for the mats and shiny rewards.

Edited by Talon_strikes

That's pretty neat Lundorff, all the info you compiled and being our own swtor guinea pig in ranked just to share the experience you had.

That being said, I have come to the conclusion that there are players who simply can do things I can't understand or ever replicate.

I have had matches where I think I played my best game ever, guess what? A guy with the same class beat my numbers by 20%. It's no fluke, the same guy also nearly always does it.

You are a great player, but guess what. There are people that play at a level that is far above even you. I don't say that in a demeaning way either.

I think it's just a combination of many things. Player skill. Better connection. Luck. Yes, even luck plays a part of how matches fair for some of the best players.

Like someone above said, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

I would suggest seek out a jugg you see that always does amazing, and see if they can share some tips. Maybe even run games with them, ask about gears etc. Sometimes these elite players have tricks and ideas on gearing that are not shared on the guides.

Thank you and yes I completely agree that there are many, many better players than me. I just like to think, that I am somewhere in the 1500 - 1600 bracket when I compare my own accomplishments to those in the 1900 - 2500 "bracket". And yet I am trolling around in the 1300 - 1400 bracket :o

OP, don't forget many of the 2k+ players game the system. These so-called "good" players que at the start of the season where it's the easiest to climb, they keep queing when they consistently get other competent players, queue dodge and sometimes que sync as well.

I fully intend to queue mara at the start of the season. Possible as the only class to be focused.

I wasn't going to say anything caus idk DM players or DM solo ranked. But I main SS so I will give my 2 cents here.

I have no idea how old these matches and screenshots are, but solo ranked on SS right now is a meme. The trash players, who are usually average to sub-average, are pulling high numbers because the rest of the que is even worse. Every single game is either a 3v4 or a 3v3 because there are bots or matt farmers.

There is a merc named Game-changer who will charge in first every single round, and net instantly. And it works every single time because the average player in que has no idea how to counter it, whereas any halfway-decent team would get him to pop most if not all his cds by the time his team had entered the fight.

The que is atrocious, with at least 1 if not 2 or 3 players getting globaled every single game. Even decent players no longer play on their main classes.

It's just that time of the season where all the good players stop playing solo ranked, all the memes come out, and all the kids with no business in ranked at all want shiny rewards. This in no way of saying you are a meme, but you shouldn't use screenshots and numbers to try and analyze, the quality of the que, the quality of your playing, or compare yourself to other players.

Again if you really want comments and suggestions from 2k+ players then produce a video/videos of your gameplay.

Yes these screenshots are very recent and I am well aware of the merc you mention (he also runs a sniper). And yes the queue has only become increasingly dysfunctional over the last month. Many, many terrible players as my screenshots sorta reveals and many unbalanced matches.

As for video... arhm.... well I am not overly comfortable displaying my lack of skills like that, but maybe at some point.

when you play vs two high skilled team ranked teams, i assure you skill is involved. all competitive team ranked teams now run literally the comps anyways; that is why those players are consistently high rated.

And that verifies the tiny point I bothered making on team ranked. If "all team ranked teams now run literally the comps anyways; and they is why those players are consistently so high ranked" that implies very strongly exactly what I said: you do not beat an equally skilled team using a "better" composition and thus, skill is less important than composition. Unless you're roflstomping someone which is totally irrlevant to anything.

this is, at best, a huge exaggeration but if it makes you feel better I understand

My ego is healthy enough to not be tied to a number, thank you though. I have not bothered with enough solo ranked on a single toon to actually get a rating on it, as 3 in a row was about the most I could mentally handle before wanting to force my foot through the monitor. It's far too class, luck, and queue timing dependent for the number to have any form of value anyway. I have shared a couple toons from my very brief tenure into team ranked, none of which have a high rating because I don't care enough about it. I care even less about solo ranked. Why do you think they are keeping the "refs rating" secret? It is at least partly because if it was known, someone would undoubtedly figure out how to game their system. Its human nature in a competitive area to want to be the best. Or at least, be perceived as such.

I guess I can see where someone who successfully "beats the system" would artificially rise in rank. But the little bit I played SR, it was mostly imp v. imp matches (on SS). So if someone got into the queue throwing matches, I was just as likely to see them on my side as the other. So I'm not sure how, after getting a couple matches with them on my side, I'm helping myself by stopping?

I dont like ranked and thus dont do it much myself. I hate arenas generally and have better things to do than play a format I don't like just to see a number supposedly proclaiming how good I am that really says very little, in fact, about how good anyone is. Seeing as someone's advice to OP was literally:

Another important thing for getting higher ranked is to know when to queue.

And i have heard the (very few granted) guildies I have who do partake in ranked say much the same, I am assuming there is agreement that yes, gaming the queues is very much a phenomenon.

Edited by KendraP

Intriguing discussion. What i found most interesting were the conclusions of the OP in conjunction with the comments by kissingaiur. I hate facing her teams but you have to to recognize the skill.

I took that and did a little math as i was curious about he actual percentages. There are currently 27232 people on the solo ranked ladder with ratings ranging from 3267 down to literally 1. Of these, there are 162 in total with a rating above 2K. This is roughly 0.6% of the total players rated in season 9.

Factoring in the assumption that those who say they have "many" 2K rated toons are being truthful im assuming many of these are duplicates account wise, meaning that in reality there are about maybe 0.25 to 0.33% of players in this game with a rating over 2K. Effectively, she nailed it.

I did this out of pure random curiosity based on the amount of people that claim to have such rating in matches on fleet etc... Ill be honest I expected there to be more as much as people talk about it and throw rank around. I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. Based on this there is no way more than a couple of people on fleet at any given time can make such a claim truthfully. Trolls gonna troll, lol

Thank you and yes I completely agree that there are many, many better players than me. I just like to think, that I am somewhere in the 1500 - 1600 bracket when I compare my own accomplishments to those in the 1900 - 2500 "bracket". And yet I am trolling around in the 1300 - 1400 bracket :o

I just like seeing and reading posts like this because it not only is your opinion on a topic but a detailed example of what you are experiencing in ranked. Plus, that took time, energy, and balls to post it.

You know the thing is, some variables are impossible to calculate like luck. Someone of equal skill to you could easily have a different experience just from what time they play, the matches set up, etc.

I have seen players that are running around with the reputation of being the 1% and honestly I found them hardly better than me, whereas some of the ones with titles/gears of the 1% are definitely deserving and superbly skilled, far more skilled than me.

I think what your experiment showed was how an honest player of your skill level that isn't playing the system, who is doing it as they are supposed experiences solo ranked and for that it's a worthy experiment to view.

What would be equally interesting is if someone of renowned skill did the same experiment, exactly as you did with zero system-gaming. Just queue for better or worse, and marked down the end results.

Hottie ought to do this! The only difference is as a healer I imagine her impact would have more sway over the matches results compared to you being a dps jugg.

Edited by Lhancelot

I just like seeing and reading posts like this because it not only is your opinion on a topic but a detailed example of what you are experiencing in ranked. Plus, that took time, energy, and balls to post it.

<3 :)

I have seen players that are running around with the reputation of being the 1% and honestly I found them hardly better than me, whereas some of the ones with titles/gears of the 1% are definitely deserving and superbly skilled, far more skilled than me.

Match number 76. They had a 2.5k rated tank, and he was nothing special. I have seen many lower rated juggs, myself included, that was much better at tanking. I have little doubt that he bought that account or something.

What would be equally interesting is if someone of renowned skill did the same experiment, exactly as you did with zero system-gaming. Just queue for better or worse, and marked down the end results.

Exactly what I have been saying. I would love to see 200 - 300 matches of any dps class going from start to gold.

This is why I don't like ranked. It's as much about gaming the system as having any form of real skill. Solo ranked is all about what team gets the better makeup, Quesyncing, etc. Team ranked came down to who had the better composition, but that really has little relevance here. Basically, judge me all you want, but I don't see how "knowing when to queue" makes you any better a player than anyone else. It makes you better at playing the system. I guess it's fun for some people, my ego is healthy enough to where I'd rather go do what I enjoy than grind away elo just to see a bigger, practically meaningless, number.

I wish someone would write a guide on how to game the system. Definitely can't learn that from tooltips.

Dear OP, all I can say is that on DM (well also on other servers, but mainly DM) you have to know when to que. Keep in mind kids go to sleep before 10 pm (Central EU time) and after midnight you will get only the good players in que. However, also keep in mind the que sync going on after midnight.

Best is to get 3 friends and que rep side after midnight, you will have all wins. Until people stop que or relog to rep side when they find out they are being farmed. Sadly SR doesnt work the way that "there are only good people in que" or "only people that take it seriously que" and so on. From what I see SS server has the honest ranked matches and DM has the least. Look at SF you have high rated reps and imps, but when you que there, you barely get a pop.

As people said, you need to know when to que.

Factoring in the assumption that those who say they have "many" 2K rated toons are being truthful im assuming many of these are duplicates account wise, meaning that in reality there are about maybe 0.25 to 0.33% of players in this game with a rating over 2K. Effectively, she nailed it.

I know you're just spit balling and I think your guesstimate here is probably in the ballpark but to maximize accuracy you'd have to account for the fact that many players will have 5+ or 10+ toons somewhere on the board (raising the % slightly) but in the other direction that's only the people who even bother to queue for ranked in the first place, which pushes the % down again

Dear OP, all I can say is that on DM (well also on other servers, but mainly DM) you have to know when to que. Keep in mind kids go to sleep before 10 pm (Central EU time) and after midnight you will get only the good players in que. However, also keep in mind the que sync going on after midnight.

Best is to get 3 friends and que rep side after midnight, you will have all wins. Until people stop que or relog to rep side when they find out they are being farmed. Sadly SR doesnt work the way that "there are only good people in que" or "only people that take it seriously que" and so on. From what I see SS server has the honest ranked matches and DM has the least. Look at SF you have high rated reps and imps, but when you que there, you barely get a pop.

dm is definitely the sweatiest server in the game (among the populated ones anyway) Edited by yellow_

In my experience ranked doesn't pop much if at all on DM after 10 PM (?)

As for queue syncing rep side I will have to pass. If I ever manage to improve my rating, it would have to be as legit as possible. That means:

• No queue syncing
  • No wintrading
  • No tank bot declining
  • No backfiling
  • No wind relics or similar bolster bugs
  • No <currently not disclosed stats bug>
  • No TR with low elo rated team mates for easy opposition
  • No hacking, glitching etc.
  • No buying accounts (lol... how pathetic can people get)

I mean, it is an honor system right? Silly internet points? If they are not earned as legit as possible what is the point.

A) everybody uses the 'who' search to know when to queue sync

B) everybody queue syncs (see A)

C) everybody uses shady tactics (hey everybody SR popping!) to lure bads into queue or forms ops groups on alts deliberately to lure bads into queueing

D) everybody uses gearing exploits other people dont know about (most memorable one was stacked set bonuses twice over, causing higher dps/hps)

Edited by RACATW

I know you're just spit balling and I think your guesstimate here is probably in the ballpark but to maximize accuracy you'd have to account for the fact that many players will have 5+ or 10+ toons somewhere on the board (raising the % slightly) but in the other direction that's only the people who even bother to queue for ranked in the first place, which pushes the % down again

dm is definitely the sweatiest server in the game (among the populated ones anyway)

Yeah it as off the cuff, hardly scientific, but.. on my main server, SS, there are just over 50 total players above 2K. assuming multiple, this means no more than 5-10 total players are at that level out of a couple hundred on fleet at peak hours.

I will also say im given very liberal credit there for assuming all 50-ish earned it the right way, which we all know isnt factual, so the reality is less that earned it.

I dont play ranked personally, gave it up somewhere back around season 4 or 5, and im certainly not at that level. At my best im good, not great, and little more than a fly on the backs of this level of players, but i know a lot of 2k rated players that dont scare me in WZs, and which ones do :)

As for queue syncing rep side I will have to pass. If I ever manage to improve my rating, it would have to be as legit as possible. That means:

• No queue syncing
  • No wintrading
  • No tank bot declining
  • No backfiling
  • No wind relics or similar bolster bugs
  • No <currently not disclosed stats bug>
  • No TR with low elo rated team mates for easy opposition
  • No hacking, glitching etc.
  • No buying accounts (lol... how pathetic can people get)

I mean, it is an honor system right? Silly internet points? If they are not earned as legit as possible what is the point.

1) dual faction goes live 5.10, no more queue syncing

2) wintrading will never stop, because the population is too low, your audience are teenagers (mostly) and there is no way to police it. they will just claim Disconnect, Lag, They are Bad ect. you cant really prove it.

3) Cant prove bot declining, could be anything, and I honestly doubt bioware cares enough about ranked at all to attack queue decliners.

4) Backfilling isn't a thing, hullo?

5) Gear should not be a deciding factor in pvp, never has and 5.x has proven how terrible an idea it was. You wouldnt do nightmare mode in 230, why should you have to fight nightmare mode players in 230?

6) there will always be bugs, specially ones that dont show up on stats screen. it is a video game written by humans, which means error.

7) this is going to be fixed in 5.10 because the highest rated player will decide your matchup

8) there will always be exploits, but currently there are deathwalls, acid mechanics and a new inc mechanic

9) there is no way to prove a sold account first of all, and secondly, no one actuallly cares if you bought an account. they will find out in two seconds how fast your gold flair keeps you from being globald.

to summarize, you put way way too much concern in this games ranked system. its a crap shoot, always has been, always will be.

Edited by Seterade

Some classes are better with healers team. Just try to dodge tank games next season. Second reason of your fails is may be your skill. Thats why I suck against Kiretana on solo ranked, but win him on team ranked! Just find team who will carry you and play TR! Easy!

snip

to summarize, you put way way too much concern in this games ranked system. its a crap shoot, always has been, always will be.

did you read his post? he's just saying he refuses to do that stuff to climb (and good for him)

Some classes are better with healers team. Just try to dodge tank games next season. Second reason of your fails is may be your skill. Thats why I suck against Kiretana on solo ranked, but win him on team ranked! Just find team who will carry you and play TR! Easy!

You won him on TR? How? Even my team got rekt

https://imgur.com/a/JV5ldRU

Edited by Kritsur

Im goingto be honest, if I come across as snippy its largly pent up frustration

teammates getting destroyed 10 seconds out the gate, doing my teams dmg combined, it just.... wears on you.

its made even worse when you look at leaderboards and 100 wins = 2500 elo

Edited by Seterade

It has its phases, when I que it always pops. I actually do not get the questions on fleet whether solo is poping as its poping always for me. Yes, now people are waiting they dont wanna mess up their rating before rewards are annouced. It depends all on the rewards, if they are good the pops will increase dramatically but so will faul play! Its most intensive at start of season, in middle and when rewards are announced.

However there are things that influence this like this season was greatly influenced with the mats as rewards, solo ranked was dead due to not giving rewards etc so there are other aspects you need to consider. We will see what happens in season 10 if people will be farming mats or something else. Even when rewards are annouced you might get a box of crystals for 3000 season 9 coms which people might wanna get and will que ranked just to get these (even though they are not good at ranked). However, even with "mat farming" people probably have a enough season 9 coms anyway.

Well, its very nice that you are trying to be honest about it, however, in this world that is a drawback as others are not being honest. Make a friends list, put comments to people (matfarmer, thrower etc) you will see who is online and who is in que, based on that you can stop queing when bad people are in que, its not worth the risk.