Why is the PvP community so hostile?

BarbarikDave

Ditto, noticed you posting again, are you still playing Everquest?

I come and go and really try to avoid posting on the forums.

I play on SF, SS, and DM depending on where my friends are playing.

I got burnt out on eq1. P99 is a locked progression server and I basically ran the gamut of all classes, had nearly the best gears I could get without raiding, just got bored.

I gave all my gears off a shaman including a fungi tunic etc. to a guy I got to know right before I quit so he should be fully immersed now. I probably did him more harm than favor tbh.

Are you still playing sentinels/marauders now? I imagine you got to be pretty happy with the state they in, you used to mop people up when the class was hurting underperforming and needed help.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP players are not asking for cosmetic items to be removed because, just like many story players and many PVE players, many PvP players enjoy cosmetic items. They should not be punished by taking away their prizes because some people choose to get those cosmetic items despite disliking pvp and choose to take route of the minimum effort needed: just die again and again, instead of making sure that they're getting better and being more helpful every match. It can't be that pvp players are responsible for their own behavior and the people choosing to screw up their games are not. PvP players need to do their best to be polite to people still learning, and new people need to do their best to learn.

No, but as long as there's a situation where there are certain items gated behind PvP and no alternative means to get them - as well as rewards for just showing up - that's what is going to happen. You are going to have people who feel strong-armed into a play style they couldn't care less about who are there merely to put in the numbers and get it over with.

Nobody in the game has any obligation to care about their impact on other players, sadly - and that is true whether it's someone in PvP who doesn't GAD about their actions or someone who sees another player about to get a goal in an open world area and decides to ninja it for lulz or their own selfishness.

Some of the rewards being gated behind PvP, such as companions and decos, are also things that appeal greatly to people who may not go anywhere near PvP.

Asking for an alternative means to get rewards would help PvP players by giving indifferent players less of a reason to be there, and might mean that the people who show up to play are the ones who truly want to be there.

Ha...you learn faster than I do...I'm still making novice mistakes to this day :p At some point I need to just admit I'm bad ;)

We all make mistakes and learn something new. The best way to learn can be to mess up. The important thing is to recognise it when it happens and make a note to self. ;)

No, but as long as there's a situation where there are certain items gated behind PvP and no alternative means to get them - as well as rewards for just showing up - that's what is going to happen. You are going to have people who feel strong-armed into a play style they couldn't care less about who are there merely to put in the numbers and get it over with.

Nobody in the game has any obligation to care about their impact on other players, sadly - and that is true whether it's someone in PvP who doesn't GAD about their actions or someone who sees another player about to get a goal in an open world area and decides to ninja it for lulz or their own selfishness.

Some of the rewards being gated behind PvP, such as companions and decos, are also things that appeal greatly to people who may not go anywhere near PvP.

Asking for an alternative means to get rewards would help PvP players by giving indifferent players less of a reason to be there, and might mean that the people who show up to play are the ones who truly want to be there.

Naturally, there will always be selfish people. We are all selfish to some amount -- how much that amount is, that's what depends on the person. However, I don't feel removing rewards from pvp so selfish people wouldn't do it is the way to go. Those people who just want to pvp and enjoy getting a new shiny while they're at it had nothing to do with the problem and they'd suffer for it.

Giving an alternative way to acquire these items is fine by me...as long as the same is done for cosmetic items that drop from PVE group content. Bioware doesn't need to be fair, of course, but I'd prefer if it was, and taking away cosmetic rewards from pvp but not from pve would be pretty unfair. Another way would be gating those cosmetic items behind something that requires at least a little skill and effort, i.e. do x amount of damage/healing/protection, so those indifferent people are forced to put in some effort if they want their items.

I don't really care if they gave an alternative way to get decos that drop from pvp -- I'm not actually sure which ones they are nowadays (a friend of mine did lowbie with me to gain valor to get some decos, but apparently whatever she was buying doesn't require valor anymore? At least according to her). However, I know at least in the PVE department, there are people who feel cosmetic items dropped in ops aren't just nice fluff, but rewards for a job well done, and they don't much like it when someone suggests handing those out for just about everyone.

Ha...you learn faster than I do...I'm still making novice mistakes to this day :p At some point I need to just admit I'm bad ;)

I make mistakes too!! Learning from them or acknowledging is key, or at least have a good attitude about it goes a long way. :)

Edited by Eshvara

The way I see it is there is a carrot and no stick. So people coming into pvp with the sole purpose to get their rewards don’t have to try. If they wanted to under the current system, they can just stand in the corner all match.

I dont think they should remove the gated rewards or offer another way to get them. The idea is to get more people into pvp, which is a good thing if done correctly. But if they don’t make people work for it, they will take the easy path and do nothing / not try or care.

The best thing they could do is add prerequisites like winning to get enough xyz to qualify for the rewards. They could also rework the medal system so it rewards people trying to win and not farming or quitting and then tie that to the rewards.

Then people who actually try and lose would still get better rewards than those who don’t try and win.

Rewards and incentives are great, but if you just give out “participation medals” for turning up, people don’t try or care or bother to improve. This is a direct reflection of the nanny state we now live in and we wonder why the world is going to crap.

I say, keep the rewards in place, just make it so you only get them if you try. You don’t even need to be good, just try to win and try to get better and that should be enough to give you the rewards. But if you don’t try, you shouldn’t get anything, the same as it should be in the real world.

I say, keep the rewards in place, just make it so you only get them if you try. You don’t even need to be good, just try to win and try to get better and that should be enough to give you the rewards. But if you don’t try, you shouldn’t get anything, the same as it should be in the real world.

This would be a good idea if a computer could actually tell the difference between someone who's trying and someone who's not. If someone is standing near a node, how would a computer know whether they're guarding or just afking? Or how would a computer tell a difference between someone who's trying to figure out how kiting works but constantly fails and dies vs. someone who doesn't even care and just facetanks everything as a dps sorc?

Naturally, there will always be selfish people. We are all selfish to some amount -- how much that amount is, that's what depends on the person. However, I don't feel removing rewards from pvp so selfish people wouldn't do it is the way to go. Those people who just want to pvp and enjoy getting a new shiny while they're at it had nothing to do with the problem and they'd suffer for it.

Giving an alternative way to acquire these items is fine by me...as long as the same is done for cosmetic items that drop from PVE group content. Bioware doesn't need to be fair, of course, but I'd prefer if it was, and taking away cosmetic rewards from pvp but not from pve would be pretty unfair. Another way would be gating those cosmetic items behind something that requires at least a little skill and effort, i.e. do x amount of damage/healing/protection, so those indifferent people are forced to put in some effort if they want their items.

I don't really care if they gave an alternative way to get decos that drop from pvp -- I'm not actually sure which ones they are nowadays (a friend of mine did lowbie with me to gain valor to get some decos, but apparently whatever she was buying doesn't require valor anymore? At least according to her). However, I know at least in the PVE department, there are people who feel cosmetic items dropped in ops aren't just nice fluff, but rewards for a job well done, and they don't much like it when someone suggests handing those out for just about everyone.

The thing is that the game is based on PvE as the main mechanism of play, so it makes sense to me that there are specific rewards there. The same is true with Ops. I hate group play and won't touch an Op with a ten foot pole, but going through an Op is such an ordeal that it makes sense that they would have a special award for it.

IMHO the only way to really stop the problems with players who don't care is to change the PvP awards to something that would matter only to a PvPer. It was mentioned elsewhere that there used to be special PvP gear and that playing gave you tokens for that. They could return to that system, and bind the tokens to legacy so they can't be sold.

As you say, they could also stop giving rewards and credit just for showing up. In an Op or a flashpoint, if you lose you get nothing, which gives an incentive to put in some work.

The thing is that the game is based on PvE as the main mechanism of play, so it makes sense to me that there are specific rewards there. The same is true with Ops. I hate group play and won't touch an Op with a ten foot pole, but going through an Op is such an ordeal that it makes sense that they would have a special award for it.

IMHO the only way to really stop the problems with players who don't care is to change the PvP awards to something that would matter only to a PvPer. It was mentioned elsewhere that there used to be special PvP gear and that playing gave you tokens for that. They could return to that system, and bind the tokens to legacy so they can't be sold.

As you say, they could also stop giving rewards and credit just for showing up. In an Op or a flashpoint, if you lose you get nothing, which gives an incentive to put in some work.

Different gear in pvp is a real deterrent in getting into pvp. I wouldn't support that, at all. Especially when the difference between wearing pvp gear and wearing pve gear is often pretty insane. I quite enjoy that I was able to start pvping and have decent gear right away because I've done heroics with my characters and gained gear that way. For someone who does endgame content only occasionally, earning the same gear from everything is a great.

While the game is based on PVE, it's not really based on raiding, or even flashpoints. Most of the game is soloable stuff, and group content is kind of "do it if you'd like". If endgame PVE was just a natural continuum from the solo PVE of leveling, you'd probably not describe it as "an ordeal". So, I feel endgame pve and endgame pvp are comparable. Either you give out cosmetic rewards, or you just give rewards that help in that content (mainly, gear).

But yeah, it would be great if pvp, like pve, required some amount of effort for the cosmetic rewards. I get why you can't just reward winners since 50% have to lose every time, but it would make those people indifferent about pvp work for the stuff they want, just like in ops/fps.

Edited by Seireeni

If they don't want to give out rewards that are specific for PvP this is the only way to really change things. In an Op or flashpoint or even the class stories, if you don't win, you get nothing. So someone shouldn't be able to show up in PvP and get a participation medal.

I do still think that with special events such as DvL and getting companions like Pierce, there should be alternate paths. There's really no reason Pierce needs to be gated behind PvP. It doesn't really engage people in PvP IMHO. It makes them either a) walk away completely or b) play PvP with the aforementioned "I don't want to be here and I am just getting it over with" attitude because they feel forced.

I will not do any promotion that requires PvP. Which means none of my Imperial characters except my Sith Warrior will be getting Pierce, and if there's another DvL I will be skipping it. I paid for HK-51 before I realized there was a small PvP part to the quest so I abandoned that and wasted all those cartel coins.

If they don't want to give out rewards that are specific for PvP this is the only way to really change things. In an Op or flashpoint or even the class stories, if you don't win, you get nothing. So someone shouldn't be able to show up in PvP and get a participation medal.

I do still think that with special events such as DvL and getting companions like Pierce, there should be alternate paths. There's really no reason Pierce needs to be gated behind PvP. It doesn't really engage people in PvP IMHO. It makes them either a) walk away completely or b) play PvP with the aforementioned "I don't want to be here and I am just getting it over with" attitude because they feel forced.

I will not do any promotion that requires PvP. Which means none of my Imperial characters except my Sith Warrior will be getting Pierce, and if there's another DvL I will be skipping it. I paid for HK-51 before I realized there was a small PvP part to the quest so I abandoned that and wasted all those cartel coins.

HK doesn't require pvp. It requires you to enter a pvp area, which is empty 99% of the time. :p But I guess that was some time ago, so this information doesn't help you.

I think DvL was fair because it also required things like operations and hardmode flashpoints and GSF, not including pvp would have been strange. However, that stuff with Pierce is bs. It's the same bait-and-switch Bioware pulled with Oricon, and I hate it. It doesn't say it's a pvp quest when you pick it and there's no way to get permanently rid of it. It's annoying.

HK doesn't require pvp. It requires you to enter a pvp area, which is empty 99% of the time. :p But I guess that was some time ago, so this information doesn't help you.

I think DvL was fair because it also required things like operations and hardmode flashpoints and GSF, not including pvp would have been strange. However, that stuff with Pierce is bs. It's the same bait-and-switch Bioware pulled with Oricon, and I hate it. It doesn't say it's a pvp quest when you pick it and there's no way to get permanently rid of it. It's annoying.

I know what the HK quest had - but I will absolutely not put my character in any area where they can be flagged for attack from other players, and that was what going into the Outlaw's Den required. So it's a hard no.

The bait and switch is a huge problem, I will agree with that. Whether it's Oricon, Iokath or the thing with Pierce, it's just wrong.

I know what the HK quest had - but I will absolutely not put my character in any area where they can be flagged for attack from other players, and that was what going into the Outlaw's Den required. So it's a hard no.

The bait and switch is a huge problem, I will agree with that. Whether it's Oricon, Iokath or the thing with Pierce, it's just wrong.

I guess you know you can now go there and not get flagged? Just letting you know unless you didn't. ^^'

Agreed, though in my eyes, they fixed Iokath. Or at least last time I completed it, it didn't automatically grant me with the ops quest -- instead the quest was in the same console the dailies was in and the main story simply directed me to that console. (I hope it wasn't a bug, because I think now it's working fine. Encouraging people to do ops by letting you know the story behind it is fine by me -- forcibly giving ops quest in the end of a solo storyline is another thing entirely...)

Nobody is ever there anymore! :) But yeah, if you don't want to, no need to force yourself.:rak_03:

I guess you know you can now go there and not get flagged? Just letting you know unless you didn't. ^^'

Agreed, though in my eyes, they fixed Iokath. Or at least last time I completed it, it didn't automatically grant me with the ops quest -- instead the quest was in the same console the dailies was in and the main story simply directed me to that console. (I hope it wasn't a bug, because I think now it's working fine. Encouraging people to do ops by letting you know the story behind it is fine by me -- forcibly giving ops quest in the end of a solo storyline is another thing entirely...)

Thanks - still want nothing to do with it because it's associated with PvP. Just can't be around that and will not go into PvP areas.

I did Iokath on another character about a month ago, and they still forced the Op into my mission log, unfortunately. I had the same story arc where seeing the Scions was listed as a purple story mission, and soon as I went through that cut scene, the Op was added to my log. It seems like the only way to avoid that would have been to refuse to talk to the Scions but then *that* mission would have sat in the log.

I also felt like it was tied to the story as much as Oricon was, becausel the cut scenes are about finding the superweapon, the Commander deals with the superweapon and gets knocked out, you end the Iokath story vowing to deal with the superweapon, but unless you do the Op there's no resolution and when you turn up again for the Umbara mission it's never mentioned again.

Thanks - still want nothing to do with it because it's associated with PvP. Just can't be around that and will not go into PvP areas.

I did Iokath on another character about a month ago, and they still forced the Op into my mission log, unfortunately. I had the same story arc where seeing the Scions was listed as a purple story mission, and soon as I went through that cut scene, the Op was added to my log. It seems like the only way to avoid that would have been to refuse to talk to the Scions but then *that* mission would have sat in the log.

I also felt like it was tied to the story as much as Oricon was, becausel the cut scenes are about finding the superweapon, the Commander deals with the superweapon and gets knocked out, you end the Iokath story vowing to deal with the superweapon, but unless you do the Op there's no resolution and when you turn up again for the Umbara mission it's never mentioned again.

Weird -- I checked and my knight doesn't have it, but I could swear I saw it in the mission console? Oh well. Though now that I look at my mission log, I have some quest on Iokath -- maybe I just continued with the story as soon as I could and would receive it if I did that one.

I don't mind the fact that there's no resolution to the superweapon unless you do the op -- maybe someone could just comment "that thing? Yeah, we had a strike team take that down while you were hanging with the Chiss" if you still have the quest on mission log and it would remove the quest. :p I always felt Oricon would have been fine if the solo storyline dealt with saving the people on Oricon. That way you could have let people know about the Dread Masters story arc going on in ops, but not force people to actually do them.

Edited by Seireeni

I understand your feeling on the HK thing--I avoided it for years for the exact same reason. But honestly, now, even within the PVP instance--Outlaw's Den is a ghost town. The only people in there are either digging with their Seeker Droid, doing the quick binoc check for the one GSI mission, or groups RPing or kill-trading with their own guild (very rare anyway).

Before 4.0 I was attacked a few times in there going for the HK part and once for the binocular mission. I have never been attacked since 4.0. Either someone sees you and scurries away ("they're more afraid of you than you are of them") or they were doing the same thing I was doing and just wanted to get the mission done and then disappear.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, if you happened to enjoy being an OWPvP griefer) there are better places for the trolls to go than Outlaw's Den. All that place needs is animated tumbleweeds to truly capture what it's like in there now.

That said, if you're on SS I'd be happy to bodyguard for you "just in case" while you get that mission done (takes less than 60 seconds to get from the entrance to the vendor)

Weird -- I checked and my knight doesn't have it, but I could swear I saw it in the mission console? Oh well. Though now that I look at my mission log, I have some quest on Iokath -- maybe I just continued with the story as soon as I could and would receive it if I did that one.

I don't mind the fact that there's no resolution to the superweapon unless you do the op -- maybe someone could just comment "that thing? Yeah, we had a strike team take that down while you were hanging with the Chiss" if you still have the quest on mission log and it would remove the quest. :p I always felt Oricon would have been fine if the solo storyline dealt with saving the people on Oricon. That way you could have let people know about the Dread Masters story arc going on in ops, but not force people to actually do them.

IIRC there is a bit of a throwaway line during one of the cutscenes (I think it was when discussing Zildrog during the Nathema story bits) and it makes it sound like I did the Op even though I never had. That dialogue assumed I did it anyway, which makes it more infuriating that they won't let us abandon that stupid mission...At least you can abandon Oricon when you hit that wall.

If they'd even had Lana and Theron say a line like, "we're preparing a strike team to deal with the superweapon" or had one of them comment on it at the beginning of Umbarra and left it there, and then had the console offer the Iokath Op as an opportunity to "join the strike team" I think it would have been fine. But I did feel like it was all "Superweapon! Superweapon! Oh wait, never mind. " :p

Yeah, I think they could have framed the Oricon storyline by having the player do exactly what they did (saving people), inviting the player to either 'clear the way' for the strike team (with the last two daily tasks) or join the strike team (Op) and then offering a final cut scene showing the strike team taking down the Dread Masters. Happy resolution for all, story thread tied up, no forced Op.

If they'd even had Lana and Theron say a line like, "we're preparing a strike team to deal with the superweapon" or had one of them comment on it at the beginning of Umbarra and left it there, and then had the console offer the Iokath Op as an opportunity to "join the strike team" I think it would have been fine. But I did feel like it was all "Superweapon! Superweapon! Oh wait, never mind. " :p

Yeah, I think they could have framed the Oricon storyline by having the player do exactly what they did (saving people), inviting the player to either 'clear the way' for the strike team (with the last two daily tasks) or join the strike team (Op) and then offering a final cut scene showing the strike team taking down the Dread Masters. Happy resolution for all, story thread tied up, no forced Op.

That would've been better.

Seriously, tying solo story to group content is annoying, i'll never be able to complete Oricon, and so 'im missing a good part of the story, same with the God machines...

And 'ill never get Pierce with other characters than my SW because it is tied to PvP. Well, i don't even bother with all those alerts anymore, considering that whether you do them or not is exactly the same storywise, and most of the alrts comanion are not even characters i actually like. Well i like Pierce, but i'll never get him.

This would be a good idea if a computer could actually tell the difference between someone who's trying and someone who's not. If someone is standing near a node, how would a computer know whether they're guarding or just afking? Or how would a computer tell a difference between someone who's trying to figure out how kiting works but constantly fails and dies vs. someone who doesn't even care and just facetanks everything as a dps sorc?

It would require an overhaul of the medal system and possibly the node mechanics to make people click if they are guarding and out of combat or some such.

The problems with the medals is they are generic for all the maps and even the classes, they should be custom. They also don’t represent team work or contributing to the win. ie, why is a Jugg getting healing medals for ED. The only healing medals should go to healing classes or off healers.

It wouldn’t be an over night fix and would require some serious thinking. The problem is Bioware are lazy when it comes to drilling down to the fine details. It seems theyve always had the attitude of “that’ll do, let’s do something else now”. They never really do something properly, it’s always half baked. Ie, they never look at cause and affect. They’re like checkers players and not chess players. They look 1-2 steps ahead instead of 5-9 steps,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

As has been said, every community has hostile players, but PVP and OPs especially because those are competitive communities. Competitive people are low in agreeableness, which is a personality trait that is primarily found in women, not so much in men. They (competitive people) are also often very confrontational and aggressive, which naturally produces the kind of hostility you see in those communities. Think of it this way, when you come into the story community, its kind of like being a prey animal born into a herd. Members of the group may have their squabbles but in the end they get along well enough.

In PvP and Ops however, its more like being born a predator animal. First you need 1 or more "parents" (mentors) in the community that are experienced and committed to teaching you the ropes and how to "survive", then you need to become less agreeable and more competitive, then the other members of the community accept you as a fellow predator (as well as rival) and not prey.

It's two different mentalities. Once you understand that the competitive players and the non-competitive players have completely different mindsets and attitudes towards the game their "toxicity" starts to make sense and won't bother you as much. Took me forever to understand this and sadly by the time I did it was too late, the game was dying and the group content community had become almost an exclusive club at that point. Ah well, I'm not missing much anyway.

Pro-tip: I find playing as a tank in pvp works great. Nobody gives you flak when you die (especially when you did it defending someone else or were right in the thick of battle) and as long as you play aggressively and throw out taunts like its going out of style you'll earn enough medals and accumulate enough stats that anybody who gives you $#!t can just be dismissed with some variant of "check my stats and say that again".

The few times that hasn't worked for me, simply typing /ignore on that person the instant they insult me is pretty good. Then I can just enjoy the rest of the match in peace.

Heh.... ^^ reasoned, objective, and substantially based on fact. :)

In the end.. PvP is substantially about one player predating on another player, often at any and all costs. It gets the reptile brain (the most primal sections of our brain) revved up, and even when under the control of the logical brain... can and will both issue and provoke passionate responses. Even in PvE.. some players are very much reptile brain driven. Once the reptile part of our brain is engaged..... nothing good comes from it really as it was never intended to be triggered by virtual game play events, because it is driven by survival at it's basest levels. The reason some people come across more friendly, team oriented, and compassionate in their play is that they have better lock and control over the reptile portion of their brain.

Except those with "less control" over their reptile brain tend to be more successful in business and just about any other competitive environment than those who are "more friendly, team oriented, and compassionate." Compassion is all well and good in ones personal life, but when you need to fire an underperforming employee who is also a single mom or screw over a co-worker in order to get that promotion you've been working towards for 5 years it relegates you to obscurity and denies you the fulfillment of your full potential.

Our lizard brains still have a useful purpose, and while I agree that our tech has evolved far faster than our brains I would also suggest that is the very reason why video games are so entertaining and enthrall us so much, because we are fooling our brains into thinking we're in these incredible, adrenaline-inducing situations and getting the rush/thrill off of that, all from the safety and comfort of our highly sophisticated domiciles.

Edited by MayhemofChaonus