Why is the PvP community so hostile?

BarbarikDave

First I'll just say I'm not talking about every PvP player out there, I've run into quite a bit of decent folk who don't give you flak so long as you're trying.

However, it seems the more vocal players tend to be incredibly more hostile, especially to people who don't play PvP unless they have to. I suck at PvP, I'll say that right now. I play the objective as best as I can but 9/10 I'll lose whatever battle I get into. I'm a story player and the only time I get into PvP is either when the story calls for it (i.e Trooper companion requires 20 warzone matches) or when it's a conquest objective. I don't care about what gear I have or if it's BiS, so long as it gets me through the content I run then I'm fine and I mainly focus on a rotation that fits how I play and not the "best" way to play the class I am. Yet when I make a mistake like not using a DCD at the exact time I was supposed to or not attacking the right person in a group of 5 enemies I get chewed out for it. I usually respond with "Sorry, I don't play much PvP." and that only seems to set them off even more and they'll go on about not joining the queue if I don't know how to play or start throwing insults. Normally I just ignore that player and move on but it seems that recently there has been a large increase in the number of hostile PvP players I've been coming across. I understand it sucks to lose, I understand that people should want to win when they play competitively but does telling people to stay out and calling them names actually solve anything?

This is all unranked as well so it's not like it's THAT big a deal. I don't know. I just lost any interest in PvP now and if there ever was a time that I'd actually want to invest myself into it, I think these recent weeks have just made me give up on that idea as a whole.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several reasons.

1. Every community has hostile members. You think story community doesn't? Welcome back to these very forums next time Arcann fans and Arcann haters have a go at each other. It's nasty.

2. Pvp is a competitive play style, people are feeling some adrenaline rush, and when someone screws up, emotions might be running high and someone might say something they didn't mean to say. It's annoying when you're doing well, just won a 1vs2, killed that pesky enemy healer...and then you notice the offnode got taken because the guard decided guarding is boring and wandered off. And really, I don't think I've ever seen anyone being shouted at for not using a particular dcd at the right time. Maybe you're on a different server, maybe times have changed? I haven't done much max level pvp lately.

3. Unranked is often the only endgame pvp there is. Loads of people don't like arenas, and ranked is nothing but arenas. In addition, ranked is often simply not popping, which means you're playing unranked or you're not playing pvp. So they're stuck with unranked, with people who don't play much pvp, and get frustrated. Especially when the matchmaking fails and they end up with loads of people with no experience and gear, against people who have both the experience and the gear. Imagine yourself being forced to do story content in group only, and every time someone wanted to skip the cutscenes, everyone was forced to skip them. At some point, you'd probably get annoyed at the people skipping the cutscenes even though it's not really their fault the system is imperfect.

4. No offense, but you sound like someone who's not that interested in learning and trying to get better. Using a rotation that fits your play style is fine...if your rotation is still solid and, even if not optimal, at least gets quite a bit of damage/healing to done. However, if you're constantly using a rotation that does weak damage, someone tries to give you advise on how to get better, and you're answering with "I use whatever rotation I want", is it any wonder the person trying to give advise gets annoyed?

Anyway, if you enjoy pvp and want to try it again, roll a new alt and try lowbie/midbie. No one gives a **** about your gear there, most of the people don't know what they're doing and if someone gives you hard time for not being that good at pvp, you can just point out that "it's lowbie, what did you expect?". :p

There are mature, reasoned, patient, and kind people who also PVP. I've a highly-valued guild member who likes to PVP who falls into that category.

That said, as far as painting a wide brush to characterize a class of players, which essentially is what this thread invites us to do, I always thought the PVP community had succumbed to the whims, idiosyncrasies, and insecurities of juveniles a long time ago.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Several reasons.

1. Every community has hostile members. You think story community doesn't? Welcome back to these very forums next time Arcann fans and Arcann haters have a go at each other. It's nasty.

<3

And yep!

1. Every community has hostile members.

Oh I know and they're vicious lol. I'm just a firm believer hostility doesn't really solve problems, only creates more.

2. Pvp is a competitive play style, people are feeling some adrenaline rush, and when someone screws up, emotions might be running high and someone might say something they didn't mean to say.

Normally I'd let it go if someone starts insulting me in the heat of the moment. It's after the match ends they'll either be on the fleet calling me out in front of everyone or they'll whisper nothing but insults afterwards. That's what gets me. The mentality of harassing someone because they aren't good or made a mistake is what I take issue with.

3. Unranked is often the only endgame pvp there is. Loads of people don't like arenas, and ranked is nothing but arenas. In addition, ranked is often simply not popping, which means you're playing unranked or you're not playing pvp. So they're stuck with unranked, with people who don't play much pvp, and get frustrated. Especially when the matchmaking fails and they end up with loads of people with no experience and gear, against people who have both the experience and the gear..

But still, does that really make a good excuse for being hostile? I understand there may not be many options available and playing with people that aren't on their skill/gear level is frustrating but in my book that doesn't warrant being disrespectful or downright rude to another player. If they're angry at the situation they're stuck with then they should take it out on the people who actually have the ability to change it rather than the players who are just trying to play.

4. No offense, but you sound like someone who's not that interested in learning and trying to get better. Using a rotation that fits your play style is fine...if your rotation is still solid and, even if not optimal, at least gets quite a bit of damage/healing to done. However, if you're constantly using a rotation that does weak damage, someone tries to give you advise on how to get better, and you're answering with "I use whatever rotation I want", is it any wonder the person trying to give advise gets annoyed?

None taken, however it's not that I'm not interested in learning the rotations, it's just that I have an issue with my hand that prevents me from utilizing the full rotation, so I changed it to fit my capabilities, which is maximum hate/dps/heals depending on the role I'm playing and sacrificing some of the other abilities that either don't do much or have little purpose for the majority of the content I run. Though I have no problem with the advice people give, I always accept the advice I'm given and do my best to heed it. It's the people who are just blatantly attacking you instead of offering advice or keeping quiet because you aren't what they want in a team mate that I'm talking about.

When I play PvP I don't intentionally try to ruin the match for my team or slack off in my part. I'm playing the objectives, helping teammates with call outs, and all around playing to win as best I can. I may not have more kills than deaths but you can see that I'm actually trying in the match. I more often than not end up in the top 3 on my team with objective scores but I'm never at the very bottom overall. Arena matches I always fail at. I'm pretty much always the first dead no matter what class I play. I don't know why or how but surprisingly that's where I find the most helpful and polite people. It's the warzones that seem to be full of the jerks and despite all my effort in the warzone matches I still get verbally attacked. Even when we win the match. I just doesn't make sense to me.

The answer is simply: Cause its player vs player!

Its about the people and all have their expectations, when those aren't met, they rage and the best target to rage at is the one who admits in chat he doesn't pvp etc. I could tell you stories, but that doesn't matter now, people will always be like that, but as it was already said, there are always exceptions, not many, but there are.

For example in Solo ranked, people have the expectation that people come in with pvp skills, 248 gear with latest augments. If not they are angry as they fear you will cause them to lose. In regs, if you guard a pylon they expect you guard it well, when you gets capped they will rage cause you didn't do your job etc.

People get angry about PVE too, there were many threads where people asked for nerfs after raging from some encounters, its the same, but if you are doing something solo, no one hears you scream :)

There are mature, reasoned, patient, and kind people who also PVP. I've a highly-valued guild member who likes to PVP who falls into that category.

That said, as far as painting a wide brush to characterize a class of players, which essentially is what this thread invites us to do, I always thought the PVP community had succumbed to the whims, idiosyncrasies, and insecurities of juveniles a long time ago.

Yes, there certainly are and I cherish the rare encounters I have with them, they tend to quietly accept what happened and either try to help you 1 on 1 or just let it go without saying anything.

By no means am I saying all PvP players are bad. I worded the title specifically the way I did because I knew it would draw PvP players to it so that they might defend the community that they are a part of and perhaps offer a sign that the jerks aren't the majority... while at the same time hoping the jerks would see it and expose themselves as such. :p

You just described every sub community in every MMO. It's not unique to the PvP community. Why is the raid community so hostile? Why is the RP community so hostile? You only single out PvP because it's something you're not interested in. This "complaint" is an entirely selfish view. Edited by kodrac

Its about the people and all have their expectations, when those aren't met, they rage

[snip]

So every time a player's expectations are not met in this game, you're saying we're expected to rage?

Fail to complete an op. Rage about it?

Can't get past a mob on veteran mode in an otherwise simple flashpoint. Rage about it?

Can't kill a boss mob for lack of knowing the mechanics. Rage about it?

Fall of a cliff on Hoth rather than traverse its wilderness without incident. Rage about it?

Edited by xordevoreaux

Fall of a cliff

And this is how i die 98% of the time xD

1% is when i lag so badly that i get killed by a bunch of weak mobs, and the other 1% is when i'm just playing like an idiot, which happens when i just don't concentrate on what i'm doing.

Well about other players not being that nice, this is also why i just play solo and turn off the chat so that i don't have to bother with other people.

I PvP only when i absolutely need to for an event and just don't know what i'm doing most of the time, which is sad because on MH, i was not that bad with playing as a team with other players, and actually quite enjoyed it.

Several reasons.

2. Pvp is a competitive play style, people are feeling some adrenaline rush, and when someone screws up, emotions might be running high and someone might say something they didn't mean to say. It's annoying when you're doing well, just won a 1vs2, killed that pesky enemy healer...and then you notice the offnode got taken because the guard decided guarding is boring and wandered off. And really, I don't think I've ever seen anyone being shouted at for not using a particular dcd at the right time. Maybe you're on a different server, maybe times have changed? I haven't done much max level pvp lately.

3. Unranked is often the only endgame pvp there is. Loads of people don't like arenas, and ranked is nothing but arenas. In addition, ranked is often simply not popping, which means you're playing unranked or you're not playing pvp. So they're stuck with unranked, with people who don't play much pvp, and get frustrated. Especially when the matchmaking fails and they end up with loads of people with no experience and gear, against people who have both the experience and the gear. Imagine yourself being forced to do story content in group only, and every time someone wanted to skip the cutscenes, everyone was forced to skip them. At some point, you'd probably get annoyed at the people skipping the cutscenes even though it's not really their fault the system is imperfect.

Anyway, if you enjoy pvp and want to try it again, roll a new alt and try lowbie/midbie. No one gives a **** about your gear there, most of the people don't know what they're doing and if someone gives you hard time for not being that good at pvp, you can just point out that "it's lowbie, what did you expect?". :p

^About sums it up.

You just described every sub community in every MMO. It's not unique to the PvP community. Why is the raid community so hostile? Why is the RP community so hostile? You only single out PvP because it's something you're not interested in. This "complaint" is an entirely selfish view.

Well no, I singled out the PvP community because in the last two weeks my ignore list went from having 4 people on it to 36. All the new ones are from PvP and all were people who decided it was more beneficial to insult me than to either keep quiet or offer something useful. Don't get me wrong, all communities have their ragers. 2 of the 4 before the last two weeks were from FP groups while 1 was an RPer who got upset because I wasn't RPing their way and the last was someone trying to start something because I was giving away free stuff. So in this instance the other groups are not relevant since I haven't come across many that act the way the people I've come across in PvP have. The sheer number I've come across in the last two weeks is what warranted me to make the thread with the hope of finding out if there is some underlying issue that I might not understand or if that's just how the community is. I don't PvP often so I'm not up to date on the newest issues that it might be experiencing, that doesn't mean I don't like PvP. I just have other things I can do that are more important, like running the numerous alts I have through their stories. If I didn't have those things to do I would love to PvP more. It's fun. But the jerks are doing a really good job at keeping me away from it.

Normally I'd let it go if someone starts insulting me in the heat of the moment. It's after the match ends they'll either be on the fleet calling me out in front of everyone or they'll whisper nothing but insults afterwards. That's what gets me. The mentality of harassing someone because they aren't good or made a mistake is what I take issue with.

Yeah, that's annoying. I've come to believe those people are either pretty young (you can't really blame a teenager for having a poor control of their emotions, they still have loads of maturing to do) or simply have issues with anger management. If it helps, it's not about your skill level. I consider myself a decent pvper, even though I would probably be much better if I played max level pvp and stuck with one class/spec instead of leveling different characters and playing lowbie/midbie. And even I occasionally get those people attacking me.

Fun story, I was leveling a healer merc sometime last year and had a dps sorc start whispering me abusive comments after a match. Apparently because mercs were somewhat OP back then and he felt I should have done better, but I hadn't played the spec for a long time and it was my second match on that alt. The thing is, I do play quite a lot of dps sorc, and he was beyond horrible. I answered to him, pointing out he shouldn't be criticizing me while not LoSing, not kiting and hardcasting chain lightning. His answer made it clear he didn't understand what I even meant, so I took the time to explain to him what LoS and kiting meant (and why he should be doing it), what his procs are, what hardcasting is and why he shouldn't be hardcasting stuff he can instacast with procs. After this, I repeated my point that he shouldn't be attacking others that way, especially when he doesn't play perfectly himself, and he thanked me for the advice and apologized.

That really convinced me that people like that simply have a poor control of their emotions. It's nothing about me, it's all about them.

But still, does that really make a good excuse for being hostile? I understand there may not be many options available and playing with people that aren't on their skill/gear level is frustrating but in my book that doesn't warrant being disrespectful or downright rude to another player. If they're angry at the situation they're stuck with then they should take it out on the people who actually have the ability to change it rather than the players who are just trying to play.

I don't think being frustrated excuses being hostile, but it does explain it. People don't always react the way you wish they'd react. Hell, they don't always react the way they themselves would prefer to react. While there are people who take it too far, most pvp players are just, well, people. They sometimes get angry, snap at someone else, but in retrospect might realize that someone didn't really deserve it. In addition, people don't enjoy being labeled as "hostile" because they happened to have a bad day. I used to think those people losing their mind over bad players were absolutely horrible, but now I feel that I can't ask someone who's not easily hurt by mean comments to try to empathize with me if I won't empathize with their difficulties of containing their frustration.

But there's a difference between someone going "what kind of idiot left the node unguarded?!" and sitting in some corner, abusing someone the whole match or continuing it after the match. First one is understandable. Second one...is anger management issues.

None taken, however it's not that I'm not interested in learning the rotations, it's just that I have an issue with my hand that prevents me from utilizing the full rotation, so I changed it to fit my capabilities, which is maximum hate/dps/heals depending on the role I'm playing and sacrificing some of the other abilities that either don't do much or have little purpose for the majority of the content I run. Though I have no problem with the advice people give, I always accept the advice I'm given and do my best to heed it. It's the people who are just blatantly attacking you instead of offering advice or keeping quiet because you aren't what they want in a team mate that I'm talking about.

When I play PvP I don't intentionally try to ruin the match for my team or slack off in my part. I'm playing the objectives, helping teammates with call outs, and all around playing to win as best I can. I may not have more kills than deaths but you can see that I'm actually trying in the match. I more often than not end up in the top 3 on my team with objective scores but I'm never at the very bottom overall. Arena matches I always fail at. I'm pretty much always the first dead no matter what class I play. I don't know why or how but surprisingly that's where I find the most helpful and polite people. It's the warzones that seem to be full of the jerks and despite all my effort in the warzone matches I still get verbally attacked. Even when we win the match. I just doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry to hear about your issues, that is a legitimate reason to not use the full rotation. And helping out with the objectives is very much what you should do if you're still learning when it comes to damage etc. I sometimes feel I spent my first year of pvp node guarding because that was a job I could do even if I couldn't do damage the way others did. :p

Arenas might be difficult to you not because of you, but because people tend to target the "easy prey" first in order to bring the match from 4vs4 to 4vs3. If you're already not a very good pvper, and then you suddenly have 4 people attacking you, chances are you're not lasting very long. But I'm glad to hear at least the people you've met in arenas have been nice. :)

Many are immature/dumb kiddies and wannabe bad boys, that's why imho. In reality they are often pale and thin losers I suppose. Btw, same goes for many who play Imp side, the "conversation" (if you wanna call it that way lol) on Imp fleet is usualyl way more degenerated than on Rep fleet. Edited by Khaleg

Well no, I singled out the PvP community because in the last two weeks my ignore list went from having 4 people on it to 36. All the new ones are from PvP and all were people who decided it was more beneficial to insult me than to either keep quiet or offer something useful. Don't get me wrong, all communities have their ragers. 2 of the 4 before the last two weeks were from FP groups while 1 was an RPer who got upset because I wasn't RPing their way and the last was someone trying to start something because I was giving away free stuff. So in this instance the other groups are not relevant since I haven't come across many that act the way the people I've come across in PvP have. The sheer number I've come across in the last two weeks is what warranted me to make the thread with the hope of finding out if there is some underlying issue that I might not understand or if that's just how the community is. I don't PvP often so I'm not up to date on the newest issues that it might be experiencing, that doesn't mean I don't like PvP. I just have other things I can do that are more important, like running the numerous alts I have through their stories. If I didn't have those things to do I would love to PvP more. It's fun. But the jerks are doing a really good job at keeping me away from it.

The underlying issue is that yes, it really is that big of a deal to them. You don't care about your gear and you're not worried about losing. These things are important in the PvP community. Sure you try to play objectives, but not caring shows and it doesn't fly in a competitive environment. They do take it seriously. Do you go into ops knowing you don't have the gear requirement and wonder why you're kicked? Do you go to RP events and spam /flirt and wonder why everyone is mad at you? No? So why do it for PvP? If you don't respect the environment it will be hostile towards you.

Edited by kodrac

The underlying issue is that yes, it really is that big of a deal to them. You don't care about your gear and you're not worried about losing. These things are important in the PvP community. Sure you try to play objectives, but not caring shows and it doesn't fly in a competitive environment. They do take it seriously. Do you go into ops knowing you don't have the gear requirement and wonder why you're kicked? Do you go to RP events and spam /flirt and wonder why everyone is mad at you? No? So why do it for PvP? If you don't respect the environment it will be hostile towards you.

Except for when they're just as toxic, harassing and hostile even when you're pulling your weight and doing you fair share for the team which is what I've been having to deal with a lot the last few months the times I can play PvP and that's from a formerly avid Pvp'er until the huge increase in bad behaviour in PvP has caused me to play less and less, that's even with the lag hikes during certain times of the day.

Edited by Asmodesu

Yes the underlying issue is that you don't respect the competition. You don't care about your gear and you're not worried about losing. These things are important in the PvP community. Sure you try to play objectives, but not caring shows and it doesn't fly in a competitive environment. They do take it seriously. Do you go into ops knowing you don't have the gear requirement and wonder why you're kicked? Do you go to RP events and spam /flirt and wonder why everyone is mad at you? No? So why do it for PvP? If you don't respect the environment it will be hostile towards you.

I'm pretty sure I respect the competition just fine. I may not have BiS but my main (which is what I did PvP on mostly) is 243 avg. I didn't bother to do PvP until I had at LEAST a 240 for the sole purpose of making sure my gear wasn't an issue. It's not BiS but it's certainly good enough for unranked. Despite not caring about losing, because it's a game after all, I always try to win when I play, not caring about losing only means that if I do lose I won't flip out about it. I'll move on and try harder the next match. I do the best I can every single match but because I'm not up to snuff with someone else in whatever, they decide to insult me for it. I know I didn't sound all that enthusiastic in the OP but if you read some of the posts I've made in response to others you'd see how I feel about PvP. But after all that stuff, if you think it's perfectly fine to verbally attack and harass people just because they aren't as committed as you are about something then you and I have nothing more to say to each other.

Competition or not, it's just common decency. The people who look at PvP as a side activity shouldn't be treated like crap because they aren't committed to it like others. You talk about respecting the competition but what's the point in respecting the competition if the people demanding that competition be respected can't show the people they want to respect it any respect?

I don't think I've ever been kicked from an SM ops group for not having good enough gear for the content, and with the bolster to SM ops, I haven't seen anyone kicked for that reason. I get why people who are passionate about pvp get annoyed when people who don't have the best gear join, but how are those people supposed to know what IS the gear requirement? I have no idea, and admit it's one of the reasons I haven't done max level pvp for ages (the others being that I prefer leveling to endgame and that grinding for gear is annoying and unpleasant).

Edited by Seireeni

I think your mistake is engaging with these types of people at all. Whether you’re good or not there will always be someone salty about it (taunting you because you’re focusing them and killing them too much, or just for making a simple mistake).

I always get a good laugh when I get a hostile whisper or comment directed at me in chat, but I never respond unless the inquiry is polite. I’ve had plenty of butt-hurt people try to taunt me but haven’t had to add any to ignore yet. They usually get bored if you don’t respond and just watch them have a one sided tantrum.

Several reasons.

Very good reply.

Except for when they're just as toxic, harassing and hostile even when you're pulling your weight and doing you fair share for the team
There are these type of people too, I run into them myself, but they exist in SM Ops, FPs and all areas of the game...they're not exclusive to PvP. These aren't PvPers...they're just a-holes. Don't let a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

What we really need is for /ignore to also work for PvP like it does in PvE - if you /ignore someone, you won't get grouped with them. That's the only good way to teach these jerks a lesson that they'll learn.

There are these type of people too, I run into them myself, but they exist in SM Ops, FPs and all areas of the game...they're not exclusive to PvP. These aren't PvPers...they're just a-holes. Don't let a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

What we really need is for /ignore to also work for PvP like it does in PvE - if you /ignore someone, you won't get grouped with them. That's the only good way to teach these jerks a lesson that they'll learn.

Aye, I am aware they're everywhere but I only PvP, I don't do fp's or ops (outside of the once a couple of months ago) so don't run into them near as often as the PvP ones who also carry their stuff into fleet chat as well.

But after all that stuff, if you think it's perfectly fine to verbally attack and harass people just because they aren't as committed as you are about something then you and I have nothing more to say to each other.

Competition or not, it's just common decency. The people who look at PvP as a side activity shouldn't be treated like crap because they aren't committed to it like others. You talk about respecting the competition but what's the point in respecting the competition if the people demanding that competition be respected can't show the people they want to respect it any respect?

Well, I go into warzones knowing that someone is going to lose their ****. Probably more than one. It comes with the territory. I'm not offended by it. I go in with lesser gear and don't have the same problems you're having so I don't think it's that. There's two sides to every story and we're only getting yours so we don't know what things you're doing to set off the other people so it's kinda hard to say really.

For example, last time I played Hypergates, Imp vs Imp of course, we had a BH specced as a tank in various gears - some def mods, some power mods, a few greens, etc. He was running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to be a DPS. I tried explaining to him that he should be throwing out taunts and debuffs because as a tank he has no burst and isn't helping. His response? It's my game and I do what I want when I want so **** off.

So for this particular person he didn't care about his gear, it's just a game, and he didn't respect the other people also playing the same game and trying to win. Sound familiar? I doubt this was you, but this is the kind of garbage we have to deal with regularly. It doesn't excuse people being jerks to each other, but it doesn't offend me either. I just made sure I wasn't on his team in any future matches.

Aye, I am aware they're everywhere but I only PvP, I don't do fp's or ops (outside of the once a couple of months ago) so don't run into them near as often as the PvP ones who also carry their stuff into fleet chat as well.

Which is why we need a way to deal with the PvP ones just like we deal with the PvE ones. /ignore needs to prevent them from being on my team.

Which is why we need a way to deal with the PvP ones just like we deal with the PvE ones. /ignore needs to prevent them from being on my team.

Sorry skimmed that bit, yeah I agree but they highly doubt they will do that because they're trying to get queues to pop quicker now. lol. and ignore hurts both ignored and ignoree in that regard (queues) if there's enough of it going on.

Edited by Asmodesu