As a subscriber, can I level doing only class quests?

TyHeaton

It's been a long time since I was last subbed, and all I really know is that F2P get less exp.

You pretty much can do so... by just following the main class mission arcs, and later the main story arcs... filling in a heroic here and there if you find you are falling behind a bit.

If it is a class you really want to experience the class story on... go for it. If you simply want to level as fast as possible.. then I suggest you collect heroics off the fleet terminal and just run those to level. They are repeatable daily and you get a teleport to the heroic when you are ready to play it. so.... load up on your preferred heroics and go for it.. it is fast, gives reasonable credits, and also gear boxes to keep you reasonably geared as you level.

Edited by Andryah

I only do class and planetary quests when leveling, with the odd regular one thrown in. The reason I say that is the vast majority, roughly 80% I would guess, overlap in terms of geographic location.

For example, this morning I was leveling a Gunslinger on Balmorra, I had three quests in the Okara Droid Factory, one of each type; i.e., class, planetary, and normal.

You will, of course, encounter the odd normal quest that is too far out of the way IMHO -- if I finish up and those are in my log, I just delete them. That can even happen for the final planetary quest on several plantets -- Tatooine and Alderaan come to mind.

I suppose the technical answer to your question is 'yes' but if you're going to be in place X do a class quest and overlap exists, it will be much, much faster to level if you knock off several quests while minimizing travel time.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I suppose the technical answer to your question is 'yes' but if you're going to be in place X do a class quest and overlap exists, it will be much, much faster to level if you knock off several quests while minimizing travel time.
I think the technical answer is 'no' ... but you will get close. Early on, you will be way overleveled, but by the time you get to Corellia, you'd be behind if all you did was the class quests.

If you do it exclusively on double-XP events, then yes. Otherwise, no.

I played only the Class Missions on my new Operative, and even with the 10% Guild bonus, by Alderaan I was 3 levels below the enemies I was fighting. So it wasn't terrible far off, but you will fall behind the curve and get outleveled by the planets if you only do the class missions.

Now, if I run like 1 flashpoint per planet, I'm right on track and I have better gear to boot.

I think the technical answer is 'no' ... but you will get close. Early on, you will be way overleveled, but by the time you get to Corellia, you'd be behind if all you did was the class quests.

In retrospect, I agree. So much so that the reason I came back to this thread was to edit my answer. Sadly, my supreme Hutt-like intelligence took a blow by you beating me to the punch. :rak_04:

To the OP, I think DocDAM / DrugCartel are right. You'll get close, but if exclusively just doing class quests, absent double XP bonus periods, you'll fall short, albeit not by much.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

You can, but like others have said.... you'll start to fall behind around Corellia. Personally.... ALL I do when leveling is class quest & the solo fp's. There are a few planetary quest that I really enjoy that I'll do as well. As long as you remember to upgrade your gear (I do that every 10-15lvls), use the xp boost when you have em, and set your companion to heal you should be fine.

The design is that with no boosts, you will stay "at level" (e.g. finishing Hoth at 40, Corellia at 50) if you do just the class story missions and the purple-triangle <Story Arc: Planetname> missions. On most planets, the story arc missions are offered by an NPC in the orbital station if there is one, or in or just outside the spaceport if there is not.

The main exceptions are Dromund Kaas (Sandor by The Wall taxi point) and Coruscant (go in to the Senate tower main hall and look in one of the rooms on the RIGHT, after you have done the Migrant Merchants' Guild part of your class story).

You mostly can, IF you have the xp armor set that was rewarded during the DvL event and use xp boosts while doing your class missions. You'd still need to do Black Talon / Esseles after your capital planet or a bunch of heroics near the end, unless you're playing during a double xp event.

I did it on my latest JK and ended somewhere between lvl 50 and 55 when fighting the Emperor. And i'm now lvl 57 at the end of Ilum

Without the xp armor set, you'll need more heroics or more fp to keep up though, or do the planetary quests too.

No that wont work because your level will not be enough, the level or class missions does rise alot faster then you, even with XP boosts. You will need to do Flashpoints every now and then.

Read my post at the bottom of page 1. It's by design that you can keep up with just the class missions and the "planetary" <Story Arc> missions. No flashpoints, heroics, or dailies needed.

IN MY EXPERIENCE

The only time this is viable is during the double XP events and if your using the 25% XP Boost that lasts for 3 hours that you get for finishing a story planet.

By the end of your story you will probably get to around 60 ish. Then you can grind out heroics or do some of the expansion stories to make up the last 10 levels reasonably quickly.

But unfortunately if we're not in a double XP event I don't think you'll be able to get through just doing class stories.