Worth effort to gear alts under Galactic Command?

JasonSabella

Is it worth the effort to gear alts under Galactic Command or is it now better to focus on one main character??? My main is at rank 150 and I recently started working on an alt too. Got the alt to rank 50 and began to wonder if this might be a bad idea - splitting my time, this is going to take forever and I may just end up with 2 half geared characters instead of one good one.

Is it worth the effort to gear alts under Galactic Command or is it now better to focus on one main character??? My main is at rank 150 and I recently started working on an alt too. Got the alt to rank 50 and began to wonder if this might be a bad idea - splitting my time, this is going to take forever and I may just end up with 2 half geared characters instead of one good one.

I never respec my toons. I have toons for each spec. That his my choice to do so.

So for me, yes, farming alts is worth my time.

Plus, there is an achievement if you get a set of primary classes to 300.

It depends how much you play them, but I absolutely think it is...what's the sense of having alts if they're unable to do anything because of their crap gear?

I really only play on two toons 99% of the time (DPS and a tank), yet I have something like 7 or 8 characters at 300, most are geared in at least 242-248 gear and most of those I never really did any sort of 'grinding' on, I just played them smartly. CXP is terrible if all you do is PvP, but as someone who also does PvE, it's really not that hard to level it up. There's no reason you can't go from 150 to 300 in 1-2 weeks of casual (2-3 days only), but focused, play. Do your FPs, do Ops, do weeklies, do Heroics.

Having the gear may not matter to you on alts, but I hate not being ready to use my characters, so again, this is 100% your choice...but there's no reason to not be 300 on your main toon (if 300 is a goal of yours) in a couple weeks of playing imo.

Once you hit GC 300, 246- pieces drop very regularly. You can then move them over to other toons via legacy gear.

So my opinion is to farm one toon to GC 300 quickly, then start sharing gear to other toons. Then you can play them casually and level up their GC as you like.

Keep in mind that your alts can help gear up your main via legacy-wide Unassembled Components.

I'm different than most and don't have a main per se. Like Xor, I have a ton of alts and keep them in that spec. That's me, though, because I get tired of playing the same class and have enough free time to play lots of different characters.

The only universal advice I offer is play the content and character that is fun for you at the moment -- the gear will follow.

With that said, if you're looking to do progression raiding, find the right guild and you will gear up even faster on your main since command crates were only ever designed to be a supplement to that (at least after the debacle that was 5.0 to 5.2).

Dasty

I have about 50 alts, and it's not worth gearing them all.

GC is an absolute time sink and getting just a few characters to rank 300 is enough to keep all your alts going too.

Personally I only have dedicated gear sets for Sin tank, Mara and Snip dps and Merc heal, and I am fully able to use my Mercs gear to heal on Operative or sin gear to tank on Jugg. You'll be lacking only the set bonus and propably some left sides, but the main legacy armor and weapon just stat wise will get your different class characters trough content just fine. Maybe dont attempt Nim raids on those alts but general you should be fine on most HMs with your mains legacy set and a bit crappy left side.

Once you hit GC 300, 246- pieces drop very regularly. You can then move them over to other toons via legacy gear.

So my opinion is to farm one toon to GC 300 quickly, then start sharing gear to other toons. Then you can play them casually and level up their GC as you like.

You would be better off using your command tokens to buy 230 gear with the correct class/spec set bonus than passing 246 armorings down to the wrong spec.

For a huge percentage of the game, gear rating is (almost) meaningless since you are bolstered or level synced most of the time (so only harder mode ops and ranked pvp really care about gear).

With bolster, the set bonus and augment bonuses you have outweigh the ratings of mods/enhancements.

Bolster won't take you up to 246. And your argument works both ways: if you're bolstered or in 246 gear, you dont need set bonus gear for non-hm content.

OP could also wear 230 set bonus armorings with 246 mods and enhancements.

OP might also get 236 and 242 tokens from operations for his alts.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Really not that hard for me, since I have mirror alts. I have my sage at 248, my sorceress needs 1 more. My smuggler is 4-5 short and my operative about the same.

I work on 2 characters at a time and send what I don't need (minus the items you can't send) to my mirror faction character.

All my alts are in crafted gear. I have even upgraded some from initial 228s+augments to 240+ (because they are plentiful and fairly inexpensive by todays credit norms).

None of my alts do content that is so difficult that they need BiS Command Gear.

Heck.. for many many months, the three characters I treat as "mains" were also in crafted gear.... backfilling a slot whenever I actually received something better... which is not often.. since I specifically do not grind GC.

Other than set bonus..... GC gear has no real advantage over essentially equivalent level (-2 level on the gear number) crafted gear. And with appearance tabs... you can go with even the ugliest of fixed stat gear and not have to deal with ugly. Set bonus is a situational benefit.. and in my view simply not worth chasing... but other players will feel differently.. which is precisely why we actually have a rich set of gear lanes to choose from in 5.0..... much better then 4.0 where most of the best gear absolutely required grinding for crystals and spamming the crystal vendors. Crafted gear in 4.0 was pretty lackluster...but in 5.0 it's actually fairly competitive vs BiS random drops.

Edited by Andryah

i picked the four of 12 toons that i was going to get to GC300 and just played them as normal. the bonus was each one to 300 made it faster for the others to get to 300 with the bonus. once i had the four base classes at 300 my other 8 toons will have it a little faster. however, i just played them. i wasnt worried about the gear as i was getting enough to make some legacy sets and replaced them as needed.

i have two stacks of UCs and working on the third. each toon has a backlog of Command Points both on person and in the pack opening screen that i could buy whatever i wanted. at most, i only bought a couple of items so far adn those were main hand and a leg.

for the most part i suggest just playing one toon until you get them to 300 and gear them up faster than splitting your time.

If your goal is to get them to 300, and get the gear that way, the efficient way is one at a time simply due to the Commanding Legacy perk (2M credits from your Legacy > Global Unlocks > Other window). It gives a 25% bonus to CXP rate for all <300 toons for each of the 4 main classes (mirrors don't count) that has reached 300.

So, get the first toon up to 300, and the second will gain CXP at 1.25x the base rate. Get two (non-mirrored) toons to 300, and every sub-300 toon will gain CXP at 1.5x base rate, etc.

But otherwise, it is up to what you want to do with your own game, i.e. feel free to ignore "efficiency".

Edited by DocDAM

Buy the 230 gear. Augment that gear and honestly you are fine with any of the SM content. If you want to gear them up I keep the 230 armorings and just toss in extra stuff you have from your main.

Other than that, if they are just “alts” and you are only playing them occasionally the 230 gear is fine and the first tier of CXP is fast as heck so you will be in yellows in no time

Edited by kirorx