I could play this game for years...

vacalpotan

With the sheer amount of content this game has, I could literally play it for years as a new player. The game has so many quests, it even hides many of them by default. Every class story can be played in multiple ways to multiple outcomes, etc. As an altoholic, I have no idea how I will have time to play it all. In fact, it is more likely that I will get bored with the "style" of the game way before I can play all the content. In this sense, there is almost too much content in the game. lol

I played LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) for years as my main MMO. When I started it had 29 servers. Then, it was reduced to 10, with only a few English servers remaining and even those were starting to resemble ghost towns. The game didn't get a new expansion for years. Not even new dungeons. Crafting became neglected, basically discontinued. Everything the players had gotten used to in previous years basically seemed to be slowly disappearing. QA was terrible. Lag was insane, etc.

Then, out of the blue, WB sold the game to Daybreak Games, one of the worst publishers out there. The devs tried to hide it, they didn't talk about it, they acted like DBG was not even in the picture, and definitely not calling the shots. What followed after is crazy. They brought a new expansion, something we haven't seen since 2013. They brought new instance clusters (dungeons), 2 new raids with a 3rd one being in the works right now. They are supposedly working on a 64bit client. They are bringing more playable content than I can keep up with. New seasonal instances, updates to many festivals, class balance, etc.

It can happen to SWTOR. From the ashes, we will rise! The game has so much stuff, they are not gonna give it up. Maybe it gets sold to a different company, but it will definitely not be shut down.

Maybe it gets sold to a different company, but it will definitely not be shut down.

Of course it will not be shut down because it still makes money.There are rumors about a new SW game, all I've seen is a trailer or spoiler or w/e you want to call it looking like Battlefront, yes it is a SW game, but not a new one. Anthem? Anthem is not a viable replacement for SWTOR, it will never be. It is not SW and it is not a MMO - a third person shooter with some MMO elements doesn't automatically make a game a MMO.

With the sheer amount of content this game has, I could literally play it for years as a new player. The game has so many quests, it even hides many of them by default. Every class story can be played in multiple ways to multiple outcomes, etc. As an altoholic, I have no idea how I will have time to play it all. In fact, it is more likely that I will get bored with the "style" of the game way before I can play all the content. In this sense, there is almost too much content in the game. lol

I played LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) for years as my main MMO. When I started it had 29 servers. Then, it was reduced to 10, with only a few English servers remaining and even those were starting to resemble ghost towns. The game didn't get a new expansion for years. Not even new dungeons. Crafting became neglected, basically discontinued. Everything the players had gotten used to in previous years basically seemed to be slowly disappearing. QA was terrible. Lag was insane, etc.

Then, out of the blue, WB sold the game to Daybreak Games, one of the worst publishers out there. The devs tried to hide it, they didn't talk about it, they acted like DBG was not even in the picture, and definitely not calling the shots. What followed after is crazy. They brought a new expansion, something we haven't seen since 2013. They brought new instance clusters (dungeons), 2 new raids with a 3rd one being in the works right now. They are supposedly working on a 64bit client. They are bringing more playable content than I can keep up with. New seasonal instances, updates to many festivals, class balance, etc.

It can happen to SWTOR. From the ashes, we will rise! The game has so much stuff, they are not gonna give it up. Maybe it gets sold to a different company, but it will definitely not be shut down.

I played LOTRO myself on and off on Brandywine Server, and you're right, was really getting stake and than new Mordor Expansion came out and wow made all the difference. While I like LOTRO and play it on and off, it just can't seem to hold my interest for more than a month or two. I think SWTOR spoiled me for the storyline content. LOTRO, doesn't matter what you play its essentially the same story and the story for a good long while is just about being witness or helping out in a secondary sort of way the characters from the official storyline [The Fellowship].

Story is what sets BW apart from all other. I have plenty of complaints about SWTOR [class balance, little new PVP content] but one thing you cannot take away from BW is they tell the best stories and do it with flare. Even Dragon Age the Inquisition [bW as well], I couldn't believe how incredible the storyline was. BW is really a great game maker, it's just EA [who they answer to] makes things difficult for them sometimes.

As a new player, you have no idea how much content you still have before you. Ive been playing for 6 years [this is my main MMO] I envy you, I know how much awesome game play you have to look forward to. Each class has it's own unique storyline [Vanilla storyline Chapters 1-2 than 3 if you want to play it] so really you can play 8 distinct and fleshedout storylines if you want to play each class. Story after that is awesome too but its not class based at that point, its the same storyline at that point, still tons of fun in most cases.

Unlike LOTRO, cut scenes are very common and most of your 'quest interaction' is live, not written like in LOTRO. You just hear what they are saying and don't have to read three paragraphs.[which I didn't like in LOTRO]. I think you will find that difference enjoyable. Another aspect you might enjoy that isn't found in LOTRO is the optional romancing of companion npcs you will acquire as you go through the vanilla storyline [Ch. 1 and 2] They are sort of like a Captain's herald in LOTRO but much more involved in the storylines.

Welcome to the game =]

Each class has it's own unique storyline [Vanilla storyline Chapters 1-2 than 3 if you want to play it]

You are wrong here. Each class has its own unique story: Prologue (ends part-way round DK/Coru, Chapter 1 (ends on/after Alderaan), Chapter 2 (ends on/after Hoth), and Chapter 3 (ends on/after Corellia). Chapter 3 is not an optional part of the class story.

OK, in the sense that all of the story is optional, yes, it is, but the class story extends all the way to Corellia. Rise of the Hutt Cartel (Makeb) is Chapter 4, and the Prelude/Revan/Ziost stories are effectively Chapter 5.

You are wrong here. Each class has its own unique story: Prologue (ends part-way round DK/Coru, Chapter 1 (ends on/after Alderaan), Chapter 2 (ends on/after Hoth), and Chapter 3 (ends on/after Corellia). Chapter 3 is not an optional part of the class story.

OK, in the sense that all of the story is optional, yes, it is, but the class story extends all the way to Corellia. Rise of the Hutt Cartel (Makeb) is Chapter 4, and the Prelude/Revan/Ziost stories are effectively Chapter 5.

When I said they don't have different storylines I was referring to LOTRO.

I meant it as in they deal with different things in this game, ya don't marry Vette when you're a sniper, you don't kill Baras in front of the dark council when your a PT!, and you don't kill Jaesa's former master when your an Assassin.

I meant it in as far as details are concerned.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

When I said they don't have different storylines I was referring to LOTRO.

I meant it as in they deal with different things in this game, ya don't marry Vette when you're a sniper, you don't kill Baras in front of the dark council when your a PT!, and you don't kill Jaesa's former master when your an Assassin.

I meant it in as far as details are concerned.

What are you talking about? I was addressing the error that describes Chapter 3 almost as if it is not really part of the class story. The class story ends at the END of Chapter 3, not the beginning.

Get ready for variations of 'How dare you like this game"

But good post, I agree with many of your points......I really think they could do much more with the game and new publisher beside EA would go a long way to make that happen...I just think chances for it happening are unfortunately slim to none.

Get ready for variations of 'How dare you like this game"

But good post, I agree with many of your points......I really think they could do much more with the game and new publisher beside EA would go a long way to make that happen...I just think chances for it happening are unfortunately slim to none.

This is exactly why I said it. You know how many people in LOTRO believed there would be another expansion ever again? Nobody. How many believed in the possibility of a new raid? None. I have 25k+ hours in LOTRO so I can tell you the raiders all left for other games a long time ago. It was dead.

The way I understand it, EA is the publisher for this game, right? I just think these big companies don't spend much in these older MMOs because they can get way better return on investment elsewhere. They literally have much better ways to spend their resources and make much bigger profits. So maybe, it would be beneficial for SWTOR to be sold off to a smaller publisher that treats it as one of its main things. There can be a second life for the game, but that might only come once its current owners have given up on it.

:t_biggrin: The heck you say!

I thought this game lost every last one of its players sometime between SoR release and KotET.

Oh, wait... that was just the doom and gloomers. :rolleyes:

oh it lost a lot, but not all. And it loses more every month. It also gets more every month. Where the player population really is at, and what the trend is -- onnly BW knows. But it's not losing enough money (if any) to cause a shut down. At least not today. ;)

The way I understand it, EA is the publisher for this game, right?

Not in the way that, say, Gameforge is the publisher for, say, Runes of Magic. EA actually *owns* Bioware, whereas Runewaker (developers of RoM) are independent of Gameforge. (In a sense, Bioware is just a tentacle of EA, so the concept of a separated developer and publisher doesn't apply.)

I have played since Beta. I've let my sub go every now and then for a month or two.

I've always come back. If I look on my achievements page I still have tonnes to do.

(Tonnes of grinding too)

When Megacity went dark with Matrix on Line I started playing Fallen Earth, it was decent, Devs were visible and helpful but then it was sold to Gamers First.

At the same time as I played MxO I played SWG. but MxO (I'm weird) held my interest more.

Played

GW

GW2

Tera

The Secret World

Star Trek on line

of Course WoW because don't most people at least once?

WoW I kept coming back to b/c a friend but it wasn't something I lived and breathed

I was excited when I learned SWTOR was coming. After beta started off on PvP server b/c was on one in WoW, it wasn't a success for me, so went to PVE server.

Many of the games I still have on my hard drives, some I just keep updated others are gathering dust.

SWTOR I usually am on each day.

Are there things that could be improved? Yes

Are there things that should have been improved ages ago? Yes

Is there a game that I am more interested in ATM? No

My characters are just a bunch of pixels, but i get 'attached to them as much as I got attached to my RSIs in MxO.

Never was attached to Chars in WoW GW2 etc.

Must mean something.

PS MxO was my 1st MMO so for good or bad it has a big spot in my gaming psyche

This is exactly why I said it. You know how many people in LOTRO believed there would be another expansion ever again? Nobody. How many believed in the possibility of a new raid? None. I have 25k+ hours in LOTRO so I can tell you the raiders all left for other games a long time ago. It was dead.

The way I understand it, EA is the publisher for this game, right? I just think these big companies don't spend much in these older MMOs because they can get way better return on investment elsewhere. They literally have much better ways to spend their resources and make much bigger profits. So maybe, it would be beneficial for SWTOR to be sold off to a smaller publisher that treats it as one of its main things. There can be a second life for the game, but that might only come once its current owners have given up on it.

LA was the publisher.. now Disney who EA has an exclusive contract with.

EA Bioware are the programmers/programming company.

Now technically in a publisher vrs programmer type relationship its upto the publisher to put funding directly into a specific project, like additional content and then for the programmers to meet the publishers expectations. Maybe Disney is holding back funding? Or maybe thd contract came with a set amount of funding for EA to choose the distribution around their SW games. No one outside will ever know the details but.. it should reakky be upto disney now to put money in for EA to hire extra programmers etc etc to put out decent content.

Edited by Suzsi

LA was the publisher.. now Disney who EA has an exclusive contract with.

EA Bioware are the programmers/programming company.

Now technically in a publisher vrs programmer type relationship its upto the publisher to put funding directly into a specific project, like additional content and then for the programmers to meet the publishers expectations. Maybe Disney is holding back funding? Or maybe thd contract came with a set amount of funding for EA to choose the distribution around their SW games. No one outside will ever know the details but.. it should reakky be upto disney now to put money in for EA to hire extra programmers etc etc to put out decent content.

In the way the terms "publisher" and "developer" are normally used around MMORPGs, no.

The IP owners own the rights to use the IP, the "Intellectual Property" represented by the game's setting. There is usually a separate, although not free-standing, "internal" IP related to the specifics of the game.

The developers are the programmers, map designers, story writers, and so on.

The publishers actually run the servers and the like using the code and other assets provided by the developers.

SWTOR:

* LucasArts and then Disney are the external IP owners and licensors.

* Electronic Arts/Bioware are the external IP licensees, the internal IP creators, the developers and the publishers.

* The external IP is "Star Wars". The internal IP is the SWTOR stories, characters such as Darth Marr, Satele Shan, and Cultist One, and so on - the stuff that separates SWTOR from some hypothetical other Star Wars MMORPG.

Runes of Magic:

* There is no separate IP owner, nor a separation of internal and external IP.

* Runewaker of Taiwan is the IP owner and the developer.

* Formerly Frogster and now Gameforge are the publishers in Europe and North America. I believe that Runewaker is the publisher in the Far East.

ArcheAge:

* There is no separate IP owner, nor a separation of internal and external IP.

* XL Games of South Korea is the IP owner and the developer.

* In the Far East, XL is also the publisher.

* In Europe and North America, Trion is the publisher.

Guild Wars 1 and 2:

* Arenanet takes all the roles, except in China, where there is a separate publisher for GW2, and some differences in the gameplay.

As a new player thsi yead yeah, though I beaten all the story with one class, i still 4 class stories to do. Only done half of them. Plus need to finish all expansion on each class. I haven'f even done too much sidequests or planetaries that I could save up for another time. And also just jumped into pvp for the first time last night and had a good time. Still haven't done operations/raids, so yeah there's definitely a lot to do and I can't complain. In a way im glad I waited till now.