Masters of Teras Kasi... now it's canon!

LordRapheus

I've touched on this suggestion before. The very idea of a melee class for non force users.

It's partially inspired by the blind martial artist in Rogue one, as well as noticing that most of us (but not all of us) throw away non light saber melee items, such as force pikes, vibro blades, electro staves, etc.

What I have suggested in the past, was based on a game I played on PlayStation 1, a "Mortal Kombat" tournament style game, called "Masters of Teras Kasi" (I can't be the only one who inwardly chuckled every time the announcer called out the name of the Gamorean "Hoar")

The suggestion turned into an idea for a playable class, either starting at a higher level,

(but Raph, what about the non subscribers?)

or at level 1 with their own storyline, not actually joining a faction until the end of the training planet where they must escape some sort of calamity... and must choose who to escape with.

(But Raph, they're not gonna rewrite content for starter level, Bioware HATES working for a living.)

(Besides Raph, that playstation 1 game is non canon)

Oh yeah? There is now a mention of Teras Kasi in the movies. Qui'ra, played by Emilia Clarke mentions she was trained in it.

(You just wait. I WILL derail you. I just gotta think about something else to whine about)

Before you get into Melee overpowering ranged, I'd split into three factions, go ahead with someone elses idea for classes to fill gaps, and go from there. Although I previously suggested a Teras Kasi monk being able to choose empire or republic at the end of the starter planet, it might be more smooth this way, with that other person's idea:

Republic:

Jedi Knight

Jedi Consular

Republic Trooper

SIS Agent

Empire:

Sith Warrior

Sith Inquisitor

Imperial Agent

Imperial Trooper

Underworld:

Smuggler

Bounty Hunter

Teras Kasi Monk

(Some class involving the Whills.. let's see what someone comes up with... I'm imagining a tinkerer/demolitions expert)

(BUT...)

I don't wanna hear about your butt. Constructive criticism only, please.

I don't mind people thinking about new classes, but unfortunately, I must drag out the same old arguments from every other time anyone's mentioned new classes:

1. Rather see resources applied to bug fixes first, then to new content, then to new species, then to anything else.

2. A new class means a new class story, meaning hiring writers, voice actors, animators, etc. to make it happen. $$$

3. At this point in the game's life cycle, given the game likely dies before 2023, you wouldn't have long to play the class.

4. A new class breaks the "legend" status for having played all classes, that is, more achievement grinding to get it.

That game really rubbed me the wrong way when I was a kid, I truly hated it lol. Still ranks high on my worst games ever list. :p Also Hoar was the Tusken Raider.

Personally.. I don't like non-force using melee classes in terms of immersion (at least when taking on prime Jedi/Sith), but that's just what that is.. a personal thing. I'm not against the idea though, but I'm more curious how you envision the Teras Kasi part being added into the game, seeing as it is an unarmed fighting style. They would likely have to add a bunch of new animations and such to the game. As much as I'd welcome more classes (and their respective stories), it is just not realistic in my book.

An Underworld faction would be awesome. Lots of opportunities to explore there still.

Edited by silenthc

That game really rubbed me the wrong way when I was a kid, I truly hated it lol. Still ranks high on my worst games ever list. :p Also Hoar was the Tusken Raider.

Personally.. I don't like non-force using melee classes in terms of immersion (at least when taking on prime Jedi/Sith), but that's just what that is.. a personal thing. I'm not against the idea though, but I'm more curious how you envision the Teras Kasi part being added into the game, seeing as it is an unarmed fighting style. They would likely have to add a bunch of new animations and such to the game. As much as I'd welcome more classes (and their respective stories), it is just not realistic in my book.

An Underworld faction would be awesome. Lots of opportunities to explore there still.

I just think it's laughable.

Meelee: I got my hands, I can hit you with my fists, I can kick you with my feet, and look! I got a metal knife I can stab you with! I am awesome!

Darth Baras: I can choke you to death from across the galaxy via a holoterminal.

1. Rather see resources applied to bug fixes first, then to new content, then to new species, then to anything else.

I fully agree, this should be a priority. For example, invisible mobs. Inability to finish The Red Reaper flashpoint because Ikoral died and his chosen spawned at the same time as his dying moment. Not being able to finish " Unmasked Regret" because the companion you're supposed to talk to isn't there. And so on.

I just think it's laughable.

Meelee: I got my hands, I can hit you with my fists, I can kick you with my feet, and look! I got a metal knife I can stab you with! I am awesome!

Darth Baras: I can choke you to death from across the galaxy via a holoterminal.

Always makes me wonder why the Empire just didn't get all the powerful Sith to sit at a Holoterminal and drop call all the Republics leaders and just do that, force-choke them to death :D

Always makes me wonder why the Empire just didn't get all the powerful Sith to sit at a Holoterminal and drop call all the Republics leaders and just do that, force-choke them to death :D

They had Call Display

They did not knew the secret ritual of Lord Baras aka Fat-as* aka Bare-as* ! :D

Republic:

Jedi Knight

Jedi Consular

Republic Trooper

SIS Agent

Empire:

Sith Warrior

Sith Inquisitor

Imperial Agent

Imperial Trooper

Underworld:

Smuggler

Bounty Hunter

Teras Kasi Artist

Hutt Cartel Agent ( or Cartel Security)

Edited by Holocron

Just give me a Beast Master type of class. BW have always used a tame beast mechanic in game. I wanna go about with a tamed beasty as my companion instead of the usual kind. There's also so many types of 'beast' across the planets and also beast type combat companions on the cartel store. So why not?

But if we were overhauling the class system i'd want to completely differentiate the classes between the two factions instead of them being carbon copies of eachother.

Where do people get the idea that just because some thing that debuted in source A is canon, that means all of source A is canon? It's entirely possible that they were like "hey, that's a cool detail, I should put that in" without blindly slapping whole parts of the old canon into the new.

Never hears of Teras Kasi, but i agree with your idea of a third faction, the Underworld, characters not bound to the Republic or Empire. Maybe new planets to go with it? Geonosis,for example?

They actually planned to do this during TOR's development, but it ended up falling through. Historically, faction balance in three-faction MMOs has not gone well.

I've touched on this suggestion before. The very idea of a melee class for non force users.

It's partially inspired by the blind martial artist in Rogue one, as well as noticing that most of us (but not all of us) throw away non light saber melee items, such as force pikes, vibro blades, electro staves, etc.

What I have suggested in the past, was based on a game I played on PlayStation 1, a "Mortal Kombat" tournament style game, called "Masters of Teras Kasi" (I can't be the only one who inwardly chuckled every time the announcer called out the name of the Gamorean "Hoar")

The suggestion turned into an idea for a playable class, either starting at a higher level,

(but Raph, what about the non subscribers?)

or at level 1 with their own storyline, not actually joining a faction until the end of the training planet where they must escape some sort of calamity... and must choose who to escape with.

(But Raph, they're not gonna rewrite content for starter level, Bioware HATES working for a living.)

(Besides Raph, that playstation 1 game is non canon)

Oh yeah? There is now a mention of Teras Kasi in the movies. Qui'ra, played by Emilia Clarke mentions she was trained in it.

(You just wait. I WILL derail you. I just gotta think about something else to whine about)

Before you get into Melee overpowering ranged, I'd split into three factions, go ahead with someone elses idea for classes to fill gaps, and go from there. Although I previously suggested a Teras Kasi monk being able to choose empire or republic at the end of the starter planet, it might be more smooth this way, with that other person's idea:

Republic:

Jedi Knight

Jedi Consular

Republic Trooper

SIS Agent

Empire:

Sith Warrior

Sith Inquisitor

Imperial Agent

Imperial Trooper

Underworld:

Smuggler

Bounty Hunter

Teras Kasi Monk

(Some class involving the Whills.. let's see what someone comes up with... I'm imagining a tinkerer/demolitions expert)

(BUT...)

I don't wanna hear about your butt. Constructive criticism only, please.

Teras Kasi has been around for a long time actually. It's first mention was in the 1996 novel Shadows of the Empire. It was even a form of unarmed combat you could use in WEG Star Wars D6 Table Top RPG [which was awesome].

The blind martial artist in Rogue one was force sensitive, but, it has long been established that Teras Kasi is usable by anyone, force sensitive or not.

I have had this very idea myself in the past and I have even tried to see if it was possible to play an unarmed fighter type in this game with any degree of viability. You can't do it well, so, I personally would be very interested in seeing this come to pass in this game and I'm sure I am not alone in that.

That said, there is no chance it will ever happen. It's unfortunate, but they aren't going to be making new classes. Given the limited resources the devs have to work with right now, even if they were open to the idea [which I love] they wouldn't have the resources for it's development, even with short cuts. Add to that the current problems with regard to class balance as it is, adding a new class to the mix would only make that worse.

There is also a certain amount of realism that some fans would consider important. An unarmed fighter fight mercs and Jedi and Darklords of the Sith, it really stretches even lax credibility quite a lot. Of they were a Force User and used the Force with the Martial Art that may be reasonable, but a normal non force sensitive, no way.

Bruce Lee couldn't dodge bullets and nor could his son, and his son died because he couldn't dodge bullets! [although that was an accident].

I think this idea works better as an element of Force Use with the fighting style in terms of credibility. If you are writting a story yourself you have a lot more leeway in the set up of circumstances and you can stretch credibility further when you have full control of all the surrounding and environmental factors. This could even work in a single player game. In PVP and Operations, I don't think it really works as cool and awesome as it would be and I would love to play it myself.

You put a Lightsaber into a non force users hand and it is not going to do anything amazing and not going to do anything that they couldn't do with a normal sword except be a lot more likely to hurt themselves heh. A lightsaber has no weight and thus lacks all sense of 'balance' that a person with something with weight has an instinctive understanding of because of the balance factor. That's why non-force users don't use them because you cannot feel the blade in motion and you have no innate sense of how much stregnth or pressure to apply to it because it has no weight in the blade, it requires the force to "make sense" of the weightlessness of it.

If you do not have the force and cannot block blaster bolts and you are not fast enough to dodge blaster bolts and you do not have the proper amount of armor to withstand blaster bolts than really the only thing you can do with blaster bolts is get hit by them heh [assuming it was an accurate shot]. If you are caught out in the open and have nothing to hide behind, have no ability to move unnaturally quick or dodge, you are just a sitting duck. If you have no armor, no unnatural speed, no force abilities and no weapon that even if you were fast enough to try and block with one, you don't have one, so, you pretty much just get hit.

Force User Martial Artist [at least force sensitive] okay, regular joe martial artist, not so much.

Far as factions go, I don't see any issue in any way. It's a Martial Art. Karate means "China Hand". Not hard to figure out where Karate's basis came from =p Martial Arts are unaware of imaginary lines. The concept, I feel, could work anywhere.

It's a great Idea and I love it, and if they did do it I would definitely play it immediately even if it sucked heh.

Using Monks as in a Monk in D&D/DDO/Pathfinger/WoW and other RPGs are not "normal" monks like you find in China right now. They have special powers, super-human powers. Abiltiies no real life monk could ever do. In effect, Monks in those other games have powers that are akin to things you might see a force using character in Star Wars do. Super Leaps, elemental effects around their hands, walking up walls, walking on water, putting someone to sleep woth a touch, crap like that.

Dude in Rogue one was a Miraluka just like you find in the game. They all have force sensitivity and can sort of, kinda, not really, "see" with the force but not the way a normal person sees. So even he had the force guiding him.

Great Idea, would love to see it happen. I'd be right next to you pal!

Where do people get the idea that just because some thing that debuted in source A is canon, that means all of source A is canon? It's entirely possible that they were like "hey, that's a cool detail, I should put that in" without blindly slapping whole parts of the old canon into the new.

They actually planned to do this during TOR's development, but it ended up falling through. Historically, faction balance in three-faction MMOs has not gone well.

Very easy way to find out if something is canon or not and this is up to date.

If it's not here, it isn't canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#Canon_in_the_Holocron_continuity_database

Far as factions go, I don't see any issue in any way. It's a Martial Art. Karate means "China Hand". Not hard to figure out where Karate's basis came from =p

Just to piss about. ;) Karate in its current written form means "empty hand". They changed the original first character (tou/kara) to another one saying "kara" to get rid of "Chinese hand", because the Japanese hated anything Chinese.

One could also argue it originated in India. (yep I'm in one of those moods)

Edited by silenthc

Never hears of Teras Kasi, but i agree with your idea of a third faction, the Underworld, characters not bound to the Republic or Empire. Maybe new planets to go with it? Geonosis,for example?

The Masters of the Teras Kasi were a playable class in Star Wars Galaxies MMO, and i loved along with a lot of other people back then. The Teras Kasi were also used to regulate Jedi from going bad to put them down if need be.

They have had a rich rich history, which is hopefully still on Wookiepedia.com. Very good stuff, and very fun to play:)

This was back when the Great George Lucas was still in charge of Star Wars, not Disney though:(

Edited by MandFlurry