So Here's What A Spell Rotation Looks Like

MajMattMason

Since I've asked and asked about spell rotations here on these forums and in-game, and haven't gotten a single answer from anyone, I though I'd show you all what a spell rotation from another game (WoW) looks like, so maybe you might understand what it is I'm asking for.

So this is pretty simple, it's the single-target spell rotation for a Beast Mastery Hunter:

1) Cast A Murder of Crows. If the cooldown of ******* Wrath is under ~30 seconds, delay it to line it up with ******* Wrath.

2) Cast Titan's Thunder when ******* Wrath is active. Try to cast it right after casting Dire Beast for maximum benefit.

3) Cast Kill Command.

4) Cast Dire Beast, or Dire Frenzy (talent). Delay Dire Beast if ******* Wrath is within 3 seconds of coming up.

5) Activate ******* Wrath on cooldown.

5) Cast Cobra Shot when you have over 90 Focus, or as a filler for free GCDs. The point is to not use it so much that you cannot cast Kill Command on cooldown, but also to not cast it so little that you overcap Focus.

So this is what a very simple spell rotation looks like. Please share your spell rotations, just like the above. Thanks in advance.

And I love how B E S T I A L is censored - you all must have been very naughty forum goers at some point :rolleyes:

Edited by MajMattMason

i dont have an answer for you, but what i find is this game is very complex.

you cast skill1 which will give you buff1. then cast skill2 which will give you 2 force power. then cast these next 3 skills in a row, but only if you have 30 stacks of this but not that, and by using skill4 you can get an extra skill cast in the next 3 seconds that will replenish 3 stacks of force allowing you to cast skill5 twice with no penalty to force and will add another stack of skill6.

however, none of that will work unless you have 110% accuracy, 12% alacrity and 26% crit chance.

i dont have an answer for you, but what i find is this game is very complex.

you cast skill1 which will give you buff1. then cast skill2 which will give you 2 force power. then cast these next 3 skills in a row, but only if you have 30 stacks of this but not that, and by using skill4 you can get an extra skill cast in the next 3 seconds that will replenish 3 stacks of force allowing you to cast skill5 twice with no penalty to force and will add another stack of skill6.

however, none of that will work unless you have 110% accuracy, 12% alacrity and 26% crit chance.

You also need to factor in BUFFS

• from other classes,
  • from your other characters,
  • from your utilities,
  • from stims
  • From Adrenals
  • From friendly player's utilities.#
  • From your relics.

And don't do certain things when you get DEBUFFS from

• Other players
  • Mechanics
  • Boss immunities

Remember to:

• Start your DoTs and /or HoTs
  • Which DoTs runs for short / medium or long times.
  • Which need refreshing.
  • Which need boosting with another DoT
  • Which are buffed when running
  • Which debuff your opponent and make them more vulnerable to other attacks.

And chances of them being able to attack you when still CC'd.

And bear in mind other people's buffs such as

• Reflect
  • Defensive cooldowns
  • how much they've been cc'd in the past few seconds ( Resolve in PVP)
  • What they've already cast, and what they are about to cast.

And do this as you

• Move
  • Position
  • Line-of sight so you can see your opponent, but they can't see you.
  • Line of sight so your friendly healer is in range so they can keep your HP topped up.
  • make provision for escaping by rocket out, roll, force speed, phase walk etc.
  • Be ready to take objectives or deny the enemy the objectives.

And

• Know what you can interrupt and what immunities the enemy has to stop you wasting the interrupt.

And

• Micromanage the other 7 people in your team ( in PvP)
  • Call incs with accurate numbers and descriptions of all enemies approaching.
  • While trash-talking your team for being a bunch of noobs/idiots/worse

And

• Know all the moves and counter moves for all four classes with three disciplines and their mirrors and learn their animations.

--

Bottom line is. there is a lot going on in FPs, operations and PvP.

If you're with a helpful team or guild, you can hone your skills to learn boss fights and mechanics.

In PvP it's so chaotic, that you rarely get to go through a whole perfect rotation. - Which means snapping off as many useful skills in the small windows you are given.

- sometimes you see a group of enemies. You have to decide which is the best target. You have to read all their buffs and Debuffs- there may be 15-25 or so running simultaneously. - You have to try to do as much harm as you can, by damaging them, leading them away, taunting, healing close allies or whatever.

Welcome to SWTOR combat!

There are perfect rotations for practicing on target dummies, but for anything else its mostly intuition and experience.

Since I've asked and asked about spell rotations here on these forums and in-game, and haven't gotten a single answer from anyone, I though I'd show you all what a spell rotation from another game (WoW) looks like, so maybe you might understand what it is I'm asking for.

So this is pretty simple, it's the single-target spell rotation for a Beast Mastery Hunter:

1) Cast A Murder of Crows. If the cooldown of ******* Wrath is under ~30 seconds, delay it to line it up with ******* Wrath.

2) Cast Titan's Thunder when ******* Wrath is active. Try to cast it right after casting Dire Beast for maximum benefit.

3) Cast Kill Command.

4) Cast Dire Beast, or Dire Frenzy (talent). Delay Dire Beast if ******* Wrath is within 3 seconds of coming up.

5) Activate ******* Wrath on cooldown.

5) Cast Cobra Shot when you have over 90 Focus, or as a filler for free GCDs. The point is to not use it so much that you cannot cast Kill Command on cooldown, but also to not cast it so little that you overcap Focus.

So this is what a very simple spell rotation looks like. Please share your spell rotations, just like the above. Thanks in advance.

And I love how B E S T I A L is censored - you all must have been very naughty forum goers at some point :rolleyes:

There aren't "spells" in SWTOR, but OK, whatever.

Gunnery Commando:

Open with Demolition Round, Boltstorm, Vortex Shot, Grav Round, High Impact Bolt, Boltstorm.

If the foe is still alive, the sequence then looks like (it's somewhat a priority build rather than a rotation build):

* Boltstorm if it is available, otherwise:

* Demolition Round if it is available, otherwise:

* High Impact Bolt if it is available, otherwise:

* Vortex Shot if it is available, otherwise:

* Grav Round if you have the energy (ammo) available, otherwise:

* Hammer Shot ("basic attack").

The core "rotation" is FIVE abilities plus an "out of mana" filler.

Insert DCDs, threat dumps, energy management, and so on as appropriate, and remember that you can't move while Grav Round is casting, nor can you start casting it if you are moving, and that Vortex Shot puts the next Grav Round on instant-cast, and that when it is on instant-cast, you can cast it on the move.

My Commando main used to get complaints from guildies about putting out too much damage (and consequently too much threat/aggro) on that schema. ("used to" because the guild imploded for IRL reasons)

If you're looking for rotations, you find some for most classes in guides (dulfy.net has a lot of them). In addition, not every class actually has a set rotation, but rather a priority system.

But just for the sake of the thread my IO-rotation:

Incendiary Missile > Serrated Shot > Filler > Unload > Filler > Filler > Mag shot > Power Shot > Mag shot > repeat..

Fillers are: E-net, Thermal detonator, Power Shot, Rapid shots and missile blast if enemy is below 30% (depending on what's available and your heat-level)

Ps: the opener is slightly differnet than the normal rotation: Serrated shot > Incendiary Missile > Mag shot > picking up from the "unload-part" of the normal rotation.

As the others said, have a look at the class guides on dulfy.

SWTOR rotations range from "push the button that is off cooldown" over "push this button to enable that other one" all the way to IO mercs who get two fully fledged rotations for the price of one.

Edited by Mubrak

Thank you all for your input, particularly Storm-Cutter. That's way more information than I could ever hope to process in real-time without a host of add-ons. I'll try and see if I can find a guild that has the patience and expertise to allow me to progress with my Sith Jug Immortal. If not, then at least I enjoyed the full 1-70 leveling experience and story line for my class.

As the others said, have a look at the class guides on dulfy.

SWTOR rotations range from "push the button that is off cooldown" over "push this button to enable that other one" all the way to IO mercs who get two fully fledged rotations for the price of one.

There is no guide for my class on Dulfy unfortunately. And some of the info that is there is months/years out of date. It happens. Thanks for the response though.

There is no guide for my class on Dulfy unfortunately. And some of the info that is there is months/years out of date. It happens. Thanks for the response though.

Is there one for Defense Guardian? DGuard and ImmJugg are the same thing except the names of the abilities.

thankfully there are many places to look for this info ;)

https://vulkk.com/2017/06/29/swtor-beginners-guide-to-all-classes-and-disciplines/

and if youre looking for help in Gen chat in game, do try to avoid "spells" since as Steve thankfully pointed out, that's not what this game is about

OK thank you. I'll use "abilities" instead of "spells" to be more clear in the future.

Best way to learn is to level the character from level 1 to 70.

That way as abilities are added you can digest what they do. You should then have an idea of what enables what and what buffs what. - and get a feel for managing your resources.

Levellling is fairly quick and easy now.

When you have a feel for the character - even at relatively low levels, you can queue for flashpoints or join people doing missions or heroics.

If you spend credits only on repairs and the occasional companion gift you should be fine.

- And set your companion to passive or heal - which means you can get in your attacks before your companion kills your enemies.

I would also recommend playing a bit of lowbie PvP if the queue pops enough. - You certainly learn a lot from having to make snap decisions about what abilities to use. - and no one takes it that seriously in the low level bracket, since most of the people are also learning their class at the same time.

Best way to learn is to level the character from level 1 to 70.

That way as abilities are added you can digest what they do. You should then have an idea of what enables what and what buffs what. - and get a feel for managing your resources.

Levellling is fairly quick and easy now.

When you have a feel for the character - even at relatively low levels, you can queue for flashpoints or join people doing missions or heroics.

If you spend credits only on repairs and the occasional companion gift you should be fine.

- And set your companion to passive or heal - which means you can get in your attacks before your companion kills your enemies.

I would also recommend playing a bit of lowbie PvP if the queue pops enough. - You certainly learn a lot from having to make snap decisions about what abilities to use. - and no one takes it that seriously in the low level bracket, since most of the people are also learning their class at the same time.

Yes, well I did level this Sith Jug Immortal from 1-70 - it gives no special insight. Just a long list of abilities that you receive over 60 levels that don't seem to culminate in any particular play style (as an aside, when WoW got it right, the spells you receive as you level up and the order you receive them help the player learn how each spell fits into a rotation or priority cast system). I'm becoming more convinced that there is no rotation per se for my Sith Warrior - just whack-a-mole - cast this ability now because X just happened, etc.

Let's not discuss the economy - the credits you receive while playing this game vs. the cost of stuff on the GTN is incredible - you all have wrecked the economy with so much inflation that a new player has absolutely no use for the GTN.

Yes, well I did level this Sith Jug Immortal from 1-70 - it gives no special insight. Just a long list of abilities that you receive over 60 levels that don't seem to culminate in any particular play style (as an aside, when WoW got it right, the spells you receive as you level up and the order you receive them help the player learn how each spell fits into a rotation or priority cast system). I'm becoming more convinced that there is no rotation per se for my Sith Warrior - just whack-a-mole - cast this ability now because X just happened, etc.

There you go: http://dulfy.net/2015/10/29/swtor-4-0-immortal-juggernaut-pve-guide-by-artorias/

It's the 4.0 guide, but it still holds up pretty well. Just ignore the gearing part, the rest is still fine as a guide.

Let's not discuss the economy - the credits you receive while playing this game vs. the cost of stuff on the GTN is incredible - you all have wrecked the economy with so much inflation that a new player has absolutely no use for the GTN.
Well, you did bring it up :) ...

The only reference I saw into the economy that I saw in what you quoted was this:

Now, I agree with you that the GTN economy has been seriously messed by hyper-inflation, but as far as Storm-Cutter's comment, if anything, it helps here.

Repairs are a cost insensitive to the inflation (unless BW deliberately changes it due to inflation). And you can buy Rank5 purple gifts from a fleet vendor at a fixed 10K credits each. Basically, all the fixed vendor items are now more attainable due to the hyper-inflation. i.e., sell one lucky drop for millions, and you can buy lots of vendor items..

maybe jug immortal isn't for you OP,

Try switching to the other discipline - is it DPS?

Some things suit some players. I'm rubbish with sins and shadows and operative heals, , yet I can get things like sent watchman, 'mando heals and vanguard tank , virulence-snipers etc. to run real smooth- so I stick with the latter mostly unless I want a change or a challenge.

maybe jug immortal isn't for you OP,

Try switching to the other discipline - is it DPS?

Some things suit some players. I'm rubbish with sins and shadows and operative heals, , yet I can get things like sent watchman, 'mando heals and vanguard tank , virulence-snipers etc. to run real smooth- so I stick with the latter mostly unless I want a change or a challenge.

No I'm pretty singularly focused on tanking with this build. I've played mostly dps or healers in other games. And I do have a Sith Sorcerer that I made when SWTOR was released, I'm just not keen on playing it.

Well, you did bring it up :) ...

The only reference I saw into the economy that I saw in what you quoted was this:

Now, I agree with you that the GTN economy has been seriously messed by hyper-inflation, but as far as Storm-Cutter's comment, if anything, it helps here.

Repairs are a cost insensitive to the inflation (unless BW deliberately changes it due to inflation). And you can buy Rank5 purple gifts from a fleet vendor at a fixed 10K credits each. Basically, all the fixed vendor items are now more attainable due to the hyper-inflation. i.e., sell one lucky drop for millions, and you can buy lots of vendor items..

Right now my only interaction with the economy is trying to avoid buying anything :eek:

https://torcommunity.com/guides/classes/jedi-knight/jedi-guardian/defense

Rotation for the mirror tank guardian:

Warding Strike > Force Sweep > Guardian Slash (Riposte) > Filler > Filler > Filler > Blade Storm (Riposte) > Filler

Warding Strike > Blade Barrage > Guardian Slash (Riposte) > Filler > Filler > Force Sweep > Blade Storm (Riposte) > Filler

Warding Strike > Filler > Guardian Slash (Riposte) > Filler > Filler > Blade Barrage > Blade Storm (Riposte) > Filler

Filler: Dispatch (0%/20%) / Slash (20%/0%) / Strike (21%) / Saber Throw (7%) / Force Stasis (6%) / Hilt Bash (4%) / Freezing Force (20%/20%

i recently took the time to level up a guardian tank myself, and one of my guildmates gave me this guide

https://torcommunity.com/guides/classes/jedi-knight/jedi-guardian/defense

Rotation for the mirror tank guardian:

Warding Strike > Force Sweep > Guardian Slash (Riposte) > Filler > Filler > Filler > Blade Storm (Riposte) > Filler

Warding Strike > Blade Barrage > Guardian Slash (Riposte) > Filler > Filler > Force Sweep > Blade Storm (Riposte) > Filler

Warding Strike > Filler > Guardian Slash (Riposte) > Filler > Filler > Blade Barrage > Blade Storm (Riposte) > Filler

Filler: Dispatch (0%/20%) / Slash (20%/0%) / Strike (21%) / Saber Throw (7%) / Force Stasis (6%) / Hilt Bash (4%) / Freezing Force (20%/20%

i recently took the time to level up a guardian tank myself, and one of my guildmates gave me this guide

Thank you for posting this - I haven't had much time to look at this closely until now. I am having difficulty in making the translation to the Sith Immortal counterpart abilities, so if someone could chime in on that I would appreciate it.

Thank you for posting this - I haven't had much time to look at this closely until now. I am having difficulty in making the translation to the Sith Immortal counterpart abilities, so if someone could chime in on that I would appreciate it.

https://torcommunity.com/guides/classes/sith-warrior/sith-juggernaut/immortal#rotation

Rotation

Aegis Assault > Smash > Crushing Blow (Retaliation) > Filler > Filler > Filler > Force Scream (Retaliation) > Filler

Aegis Assault > Ravage > Crushing Blow (Retaliation) > Filler > Filler > Smash > Force Scream (Retaliation) > Filler

Aegis Assault > Filler > Crushing Blow (Retaliation) > Filler > Filler > Ravage > Force Scream (Retaliation) > Filler

Filler: Vicious Throw (0%/20%) / Vicious Slash (20%/0%) / Assault (21%) / Saber Throw (7%) / Force Choke (6%) / Backhand (4%) / Chilling Scream (20%/20%)

Minor Rotation: 8 GCDs

Major Rotation: 24 GCDs

hope this helps, it's from the same site