Defeat Vaylin's Spirit is WAY to hard for Light Side Character

worsin

If you let Valkorians father go you end up with 0 healers against Vaylin's Spirit.

As a BH in story mode with 230 gear, she is hitting me for 50k. Half my health in 1-2 shots.

She knocks you down way too much and you cannot get to the green healing things fast enough. You cannot use Heroic Moment because of no companions in that fight. Even when I can get to the green healing things you end up running out before you die, they simply don't spawn fast enough to keep up with the damage you receive.

I've done this on several other characters with no issue if you keep his father imprisoned but if you let him go your screwed.

I've tried keeping my distance but you cannot really do this given the skills she has. This honestly feels like its veteran but it's not on veteran.

I finally beat it but compared to the rest of the game its so far out of whack with the other fights it's not even funny. That particular fight is 10x harder than any other fight in the entire story.

Have you done it on a BH? I had to use literally every possible skill I could use and do it perfectly in order to beat her. Considering I could have done all the others naked I would say there is a problem with the balance.

I finally beat it but compared to the rest of the game its so far out of whack with the other fights it's not even funny. That particular fight is 10x harder than any other fight in the entire story.

Have you done it on a BH? I had to use literally every possible skill I could use and do it perfectly in order to beat her. Considering I could have done all the others naked I would say there is a problem with the balance.

If I recall correctly, she does increasingly more damage if you are further away from her.

There's a tradeoff and a benefit for both DS and LS choices in that chapter.

LS: Assuming you've kept Arcann (blegggh) and freed Dramath: you only have to fight Vaylin.

DS: Assuming you've killed Arcann and kept Dramath, you have to fight both Arcann AND Vaylin, which negates your healer a lot.

So it's pretty balanced. Dramath is a level 1 healer and while he can help, the fight is still mostly on you.

If I recall correctly, she does increasingly more damage if you are further away from her.

That makes it significantly more difficult for a class like BH then and when you do not have that Dramath guy healing you its easily the most difficult fight in the story. At no point have I even come close to dying with the other bosses but her suddenly I'm getting killed over and over lol.

I have no issue with it being difficult on veteran mode but in story mode, it should be in line with the rest of the content not jump from a 1 to a 10 in difficulty. Valkorian is trivial after you beat Vaylin, that's just lame.

There's a tradeoff and a benefit for both DS and LS choices in that chapter.

LS: Assuming you've kept Arcann (blegggh) and freed Dramath: you only have to fight Vaylin.

DS: Assuming you've killed Arcann and kept Dramath, you have to fight both Arcann AND Vaylin, which negates your healer a lot.

So it's pretty balanced. Dramath is a level 1 healer and while he can help, the fight is still mostly on you.

I think your misunderstanding my point. Im saying compared to EVERYTHING before that in story mode its WAY WAY out of balance. I could do everything else naked but then that fight is ridiculous. It goes from a 1 to a 10 in difficulty then back to a 1 when you get to Valk.

I have done the Vaylin fight without any deaths and without Dramath on the following classes:

operative healer

operative dps

sorc healer

sorc dps

marauder

guardian tank

commando dps

assassin dps

sage healer

gunslinger

merc dps

sniper

shadow dps

powertech dps

So, yes I've done it on a BH.

Edited by Elessara

Yes, if you are not in the purple circle around her, all your attacks get reflected. Even if you're a ranged character you need to fight her at melee distance.

Without offering spoilers, and also not trying to suggest you don't know, but it sort of sounds like you don't know based on the details of the fight you've provided...

There are a couple gimmicky features you are ignoring / not utilizing. Whether you choose to consult those guides is up to you.

With that said, I'm not a super huge fan of gimmicky fights, but there are some mechanics that once you know -- the fight becomes much, much easier.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I think your misunderstanding my point. Im saying compared to EVERYTHING before that in story mode its WAY WAY out of balance. I could do everything else naked but then that fight is ridiculous. It goes from a 1 to a 10 in difficulty then back to a 1 when you get to Valk.

I am not misunderstanding. But the fight really IMHO isn't too hard if you are geared properly and know the mechanics, especially if you're LS and only fighting Vaylin and not the two bosses at once. And that's coming from someone who doesn't do endgame group activity (ie, doesn't know a lot of boss mechanics), playing on characters that generally don't have self-heals. It's essentially the final big fight in the entire expansion; it's supposed to be a challenge.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

That makes it significantly more difficult for a class like BH then and when you do not have that Dramath guy healing you its easily the most difficult fight in the story. At no point have I even come close to dying with the other bosses but her suddenly I'm getting killed over and over lol.

I have no issue with it being difficult on veteran mode but in story mode, it should be in line with the rest of the content not jump from a 1 to a 10 in difficulty. Valkorian is trivial after you beat Vaylin, that's just lame.

How does this make it more difficult? It's called shooting point blank :p

It sounds like you're standing outside Vaylin's reflect shield and essentially killing yourself. That's not the game's fault; that's a fight mechanic.

If you're having a hard time understanding the mechanics of the fight, I'd recommend looking up a guide, like the one on Dulfy.

The fight can be a challenge but it is actually fairly easy when you have the mechanics down. Once you get the mechanics down you'll start breezing through it. That goes for every class. From the sound of it, you must be running afoul of the fight mechanics somewhere.

1. Stay in melee range (within the permanent purple cicle) when dealing damage as anything outside that will get reflected back onto you. Not doing that will kill you fast.

2. Don't tunnel vision Vaylin and keep an eye out for the memories of healing that float around the map. They spawn at the bottom of the stairs. Grab one if you drop below 50% health for the heal. Alternatively you can use them to defeat Vaylin. If you lure her through them, instead of running over it yourself, she'll take massive damage. IIRC she only needs to hit 4 or 5 of them to die, even if you otherwise did no other damage to her.

3. Get out of range when she is about to lay down her large knockback AOE attack, announced by a red circle. Putting the stair platform between you and her also works and you'll be protected from LoS. It has a long channel time and is fairly easy to avoid.

4. Use interrupts when she's channeling a big hit.

5. Be careful with positioning and make sure you're never fight her in a place where one of her knockbacks can send you over the edge. Always fight her in a position where a knockback won't kill you.

6. Use your stun break if she catches you in the Force slam attack that throws you up & down. You can escape it via your stun break. IIRC I think that attack can also be interrupted.

7. Save your speed boost for when you need to get a memory of healing.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

3. Get out of range when she is about to lay down her large knockback AOE attack, announced by a red circle. Putting the stair platform between you and her also works and you'll be protected from LoS. It has a long channel time and is fairly easy to avoid.

The circle is hard to see if you're in the middle of it (which you are), BUT what really announces it is that she stops attacking you and floats in the air curled up into a ball.

6. Use your stun break if she catches you in the Force slam attack that throws you up & down. You can escape it via your stun break. IIRC I think that attack can also be interrupted.

No, it can't, unless you have an interrupt that can be cast while stunned. Secondary point: don't use your stun break for ANYTHING else, because if it's on cooldown when she hits you with Force Slam, you'll have to eat the whole thing, and that will *hurt*.

Nup. She is easy.

A: stay in purple circle

B: Whack her until her buff hits 30 (each hit adds to her buff)

C: Run like the ******* wind once she hits 30.

D: she will leap at you and possibly stun you.

E: Break stun/run again. Back up to the rock, stay away from edge. Run to the back or to the front for green heal bubbles.

F: Lure her to green heal bubbles, without touching them first. It'll smack her a lot.

If fighting Arcann and Vaylin together by yourself (done this) Defeat Arcann first. Stay out of stupid. You'll be right.

If you let Valkorians father go you end up with 0 healers against Vaylin's Spirit.

As a BH in story mode with 230 gear, she is hitting me for 50k. Half my health in 1-2 shots.

She knocks you down way too much and you cannot get to the green healing things fast enough. You cannot use Heroic Moment because of no companions in that fight. Even when I can get to the green healing things you end up running out before you die, they simply don't spawn fast enough to keep up with the damage you receive.

I've done this on several other characters with no issue if you keep his father imprisoned but if you let him go your screwed.

I've tried keeping my distance but you cannot really do this given the skills she has. This honestly feels like its veteran but it's not on veteran.

This fight is meant to be hard and is one of the better solo bosses for this reason. If you choose light and don't have Lord Dramath (Valkorian's father) to heal you, knowing the tactics is your friend:

• keep within melee range of Vaylin EXCEPT when she casts force overload (you will see a her long casting and a faint but very large red circle on the floor - move away from this)
  • remember that Vaylin's melee range is within the purple circle under her. Outside this & you will take massive damage & die quickly as your attacks outside that range will be reflected back at you (I learned this the hard way)
  • use your stun break(s) to get out of her force slam (when you are being repeatedly slammed on the ground) - mine are always on cooldown for this so you should be okay
  • be observant of the spawn points for Memory of Healing circles and position yourself near them - if you can position yourself near to a healing circle so it hits Vaylin first it will do massive damage to her and stun her allowing you to heal/get more hits in.
  • I found the best Memory of Healing spawn point is behind and to the left of the steps as you face them - there is an area with some trees - the circles spawn under or very close to those.

I've done this fight with all class types without Dramath to heal me & gear levels from crappy to half decent depending on which alt I was on, so I know it can be done. It can be a long fight for some classes and you will find yourself altering your fight style for ranged classes since you will not be used to fighting in the bosses face and having to move about to get out of range quickly when you need to.

Remember that Valkorian warned you about your reliance on your companions in chapter 12 of KotFE ;) Keep at it :)

Edited by Sarova

I killed her with my Gunslinger without shooting her once. A) stay away from her big attack. You see the animation where she holds herself and floats in the air, you run out from the red circle. Don't let it hit you B) kite her into the green healing circles. They are the best attack against her, and easiest way to kill her. If your health drops, use a circle for yourself. If you are lucky, you manage to do both, heal yourself and hurt her. C) do A and B until she is dead, and that doesn't take that long.

This must be the most retarded fight in the whole game. Valkorion and Arcann come quite close too.

Edited by tahol

Did this on one of the squishyist classes there is, Sentinel. With mostly 208 gear and a couple of 220s in the mix. I also released Lord Drammath.

It was hard, it took forever and I died several times..... BUT

It is doable with any class even with full 208 gear.

Edited by denavin

Without offering spoilers, and also not trying to suggest you don't know, but it sort of sounds like you don't know based on the details of the fight you've provided...

There are a couple gimmicky features you are ignoring / not utilizing. Whether you choose to consult those guides is up to you.

With that said, I'm not a super huge fan of gimmicky fights, but there are some mechanics that once you know -- the fight becomes much, much easier.

Dasty

That's the biggest problem with this fight (and many of the Eternal Champion arena fights too) - too gimmicky and really really poor feedback loops for players to understand what the hell is going on. Buffs and debuffs are vaguely described and/or almost impossible to see when they pop up simply because any character will stack 5-10 debuffs on an enemy within a few seconds. When something out of the blue shows up you either don't see it at all (most likely) or get killed trying to read what it is.

Poor feedback loops is probably my single biggest criticism of SWTOR since day one. There are way too many things that happen for no discernable reason, or that don't happen when you think they should, also for no easily identified reason. Couple this with the scripted events in many fights screwing with abilities, especially if you react too fast before the script has run and totally waste the ability you just used, and you get a massive gap between the ability of players to complete certain objectives in a way they find satisfying, or at all.

Just go ahead and use Dramath -- the darkside points are very easy to get rid of --- and really, to me , "darkside, lightside" --- don't matter later on in the story ....

but if you absolutely don't want to --- ( did it on a JK, agent, BH, and smuggler ) --- only had a hard time the first try -- when I didn't know what I was doing ---

then I read the strats, stayed IN her purple circle --- at the bottom of the staircase with my back to the top of it --- and ran like heck when I saw the red circle ---

got back after the circle was gone --- rinse and repeat --- I didn't even use the green circles ( except to heal me)

Edited by Tashia

Just go ahead and use Dramath -- the darkside points are very easy to get rid of --- and really, to me , "darkside, lightside" --- don't matter later on in the story ....

I'd say go for this ^

It's sad that there is no neutral option where you can tell Dramath you'll free him once he helps you defeat Valkorion (you'll not be able to do that, but at least it'd be better than the D/L choices we have)

Honnestly the LS choice is all nice but really dumb. Your character is possessed by Valkorion, you have no way to be sure you'll be able to defeat him, even with the Holocron, but you decide to free the person who could be the most usefull to you for that.

• 2 years later...
Nup. She is easy.

A: stay in purple circle

B: Whack her until her buff hits 30 (each hit adds to her buff)

C: Run like the ******* wind once she hits 30.

D: she will leap at you and possibly stun you.

E: Break stun/run again. Back up to the rock, stay away from edge. Run to the back or to the front for green heal bubbles.

F: Lure her to green heal bubbles, without touching them first. It'll smack her a lot.

If fighting Arcann and Vaylin together by yourself (done this) Defeat Arcann first. Stay out of stupid. You'll be right.

Where are these green heal bubbles? I have not seen anything but her purple ball? She is kicking my *** and i am hardly doing any damage to her at all. I am a level 69 bounty hunter