Fee for collections

DamaraMegido

So normal day, I unlocked a set of armor on my main and a lighsaber, I made a jedi cause i wanted to use it with them but if I want to use it i have to pay a fee, I know how it works and im not here for that, Im here for something more important, Why?

So normal day, I unlocked a set of armor on my main and a lighsaber, I made a jedi cause i wanted to use it with them but if I want to use it i have to pay a fee, I know how it works and im not here for that, Im here for something more important, Why?

The fee isn't to "use" the item. It's to unlock the item for your whole account to use(1). Why it's like that is a subject for debate, and you're unlikely to get any sort of definitive answer from other players. Note that in all cases where the item can be bought directly, the unlock fee is less (in some cases much less) than the cost of buying even one additional copy of the item.

My view on why the global unlock fee is separate is so that if I acquire an unlockable item by a means that is NOT the CM (e.g. I buy it on the GTN), then I still have to pay a bit to unlock it myself. (In theory, it lowers the basic Cartel Coin acquisition price, but those prices are entirely arbitrary anyway.)

(1) The character that first binds the item unlocks it for himself. The fee unlocks it for all the others, both present and future. Once an item is unlocked for a character, that character is able to claim unlimited quantities of bound copies of the item. Note that those copies cannot be traded to other characters (except for two exceptions within your own legacy where the other character would be able to claim his own copies anyway) nor sold to vendors nor reverse engineered for schematics or materials.(2)

(2) There have been cases where you could RE Cartel Market items for materials that could be sold. In all cases, it is regarded as an exploit, and you should report it as a bug, possibly including a private forum message to "EricMusco". You must not announce on the forums that "Item X can be REed for materials."

StevetheCynic gave you the gist. I'll add a couple of points:

I see you are a new sub, welcome!

I'll give my usual advice: Don't use "precious" Cartel Coins on purchases such as armor and weapons. These are cosmetic and afford no play advantage. And you can get plenty of nice ones as you continue your adventure (or buy off GTN). You will find as you play that you get millions of credits. But CC are a limited resource. Wait, play a while, then you will have a better feel for your priorities.

What would I buy with them? I'll attach an old post of mine that is still mostly relevant (Treek is no longer worth buying).

Well got the answers i was looking for thanks, im still mad at the fact that i have to pay $240 for a speeder i purchased for 200k but whatever

It's probably 240 cartel coins, not $, which is a little over $2 for a legacy unlock.

Given how much time you save with a speeder ... well worth it, as are rocket boots from the " going places" pack :-)