Maybe it's time to move to a full F2P model

PorsaLindahl

Since BW seems to be more interested in spending the majority of their development time creating eye candy and neglecting / ignoring their paying customers, maybe they should move to a full F2P and let the Cartel Market support the game. At least with a F2P model you don't have to worry about pissing off paying customers.

They certainly aren't getting any more money from me due to this idiotic conquest system. They fooled me last week into thinking it was somewhat fixed to a bearable level. After logging in and looking over the conquest objectives for this week, I just logged off and cancelled again.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful what you ask for; a full F2P Game would lead to:

2500 CC Unlock to use Lightsabers - on ALL Jedi / Sith characters.

2500 CC Unlock to use Ranged Weapons - on ALL other classes.

1000 CC Unlock Per Companion - failure to Unlock a Companion prevents further Class Story Progression.

This IS Bioware we are talking about?

All The Best

Be careful what you ask for; a full F2P Game would lead to:

2500 CC Unlock to use Lightsabers - on ALL Jedi / Sith characters.

2500 CC Unlock to use Ranged Weapons - on ALL other classes.

1000 CC Unlock Per Companion - failure to Unlock a Companion prevents further Class Story Progression.

This IS Bioware we are talking about?

All The Best

why would it lead to that :rolleyes:, exaggerate much? hopefully it will lead to more content expansions and dlc, more cartel market vanity items, and more them having to actually do some work to earn their salary.

Edited by SaerethDL

A classic move.... "I won't give you any more money because I am mad at you .. but I still want full access to play the game".

It never gets old in MMO forums I guess.

Personally, I like the game business model the way it is... because I personally prefer to pay a flat fee each month for full access to the game. If I see insufficient value to pay the sub.... I'm on my way out the door anyway.. so I certainly would not demand changes to the business model just to please my desire to play and not pay.

A classic move.... "I won't give you any more money because I am mad at you .. but I still want full access to play the game".

It never gets old in MMO forums I guess.

Personally, I like the game business model the way it is... because I personally prefer to pay a flat fee each month for full access to the game. If I see insufficient value to pay the sub.... I'm on my way out the door anyway.. so I certainly would not demand changes to the business model just to please my desire to play and not pay.

And there you go making assumptions. I'm not going to play the game. The rest of your blather is just white noise.

Because THIS IS Bioware we are talking about!

The people who already charge F2P players Cartel Coins to USE the Rewards given in quests!!

All The Best

that is f2p restrictions because this game is a subscription game.. without the subscription there would be no reason to have those f2p restrictions in place, they would just open it up and make you pay for new content, vanity items, and stuff to increase your xp/cxp rates etc. If they charge you for stuff that was already unlocked when you subbed, than it wouldn't be a true b2p/f2p model and defeat the purpose.

We are there already. It's pretty clear, to me at least, that EA/BW doesn't really care about subs from a biz model perspective (of course they love us all as snowflakes:D). Subs are the also-ran of the business model (I've "armchair analyzed" the math on this in the past).

Where it's at is CM. That's the needle mover. When actions of theirs cause people to to make less CM purchases, they change things. Not saying this is good or bad per se, but this is very clearly the reality from my vantage point.

There are basically two broad "classes" of subs:

1. Subs who spend on the CM

2. Subs who just pay the monthly-sub, nothing more

BW analyzes the metrics, knowing that most "unsubs" from either group who've been here a long time come back anyway. Long time subs (me included) are basically "hooked". So unsubs from group 2, don't move the needle in any way. However, unsubs from group 1 get attention in the "metrics" because even if/when this group comes back, they've lost a significant interval subsidy for every day those subs are gone or inactive.

IMO, this is a rational biz model, even if it feels a bit "icky." But, as I've said many times elsewhere and don't need to rehash here, it's WAY underperforming where it could be because of inexplicable (and if I was a shareholder - inexcusable) communication lapses and gaffes that if fixed could keep a nice gravy train rollin for a long time...

I'm fine with the model as it is at the moment. When I no longer want to pay I'll stop playing. Having a free game with access to everything but still no content to keep me satiated isn't going to make me hang around any longer.

Just my opinion.

I'm fine with the model as it is at the moment. When I no longer want to pay I'll stop playing. Having a free game with access to everything but still no content to keep me satiated isn't going to make me hang around any longer.

Just my opinion.

I agree

if it was made a full F2P, I would probably leave, after playing warframe full F2P game I realize that F2P don't work for everyone. don't get me wrong warfare it's really fun game at first then they slap you the face with the grind then I loss the motivation to log in

Edited by commanderwar

Since BW seems to be more interested in spending the majority of their development time creating eye candy and neglecting / ignoring their paying customers, maybe they need to move to a full F2P and let the Cartel Market support the game. At least with a F2P model you don't have to worry about pissing off paying customers.

They certainly aren't getting any more money from me due to this idiotic conquest system. They fooled me last week into thinking it was somewhat fixed to a bearable level. After logging in and looking over the conquest objectives for this week, I just logged off and cancelled again.

Sub, unsub, sub, unsub?

You don't have to keep giving us a play by play, you know. We'll notice when your posts stop coming.

And there you go making assumptions. I'm not going to play the game. The rest of your blather is just white noise.

No, actually he is spot on.

It's getting kind of old seeing so many complain as if they deserve everything for nothing - and often without the understanding that there is something called development time and that games are actually a business.

Just my opinion.

And agree with Esh completely.

Edited by Cowoline

If you're not going to play the game, why does it matter to you if playing the game with all the bells and whistles requires a meager $15/month subscription?

No, actually he is spot on.

It's getting kind of old seeing so many complain as if they deserve everything for nothing - and often without the understanding that there is something called development time and that games are actually a business.

And agree with Esh completely.

everything for nothing? dude most of us that have been here since launch have already paid more than enough for a single game that doesn't produce much content. $1100 for 6 years of sub, not including cartel market items. So stop saying people want something for nothing. :D

Just my opinion.

But you're paying something for nothing basically. ESO , GW2, Black Desert, gives you more content than swtor and you don't have to pay a cent for a monthly fee. Thats the question, even if insignificant, why do you feel the need to give away money for nothing in return? When they are putting your money into Anthem. lol

Just my opinion.

They could learn a lot from NCSoft and Arenanet. I'll leave it at that. It's too bad NCSoft didn't buy BW instead of EA getting their destructive meathooks into them.

everything for nothing? dude most of us that have been here since launch have already paid more than enough for a single game that doesn't produce much content. $1100 for 6 years of sub, not including cartel market items. So stop saying people want something for nothing. :D

1. Not a dude

2. I have also been here since the beginning (and been a subscriber the entire time)

3. People have been whining for ages about wanting the game to be free to play. And last time I checked not paying and still having access to the entire game meant getting it all for nothing. So again: people want something for nothing.

Your statement is only valid if they no longer maintained the game or developed new content. And yes, the past year has felt low on content - but it also seems like they ditched all their plan in order to go back to the "republic vs. empire" story people wanted. Not to mention getting Kieth instead of Ben, which has undoubtedly change some things behind the scene. They have released new content the past year and have announced a new expansion, yet the more grumpy part of the fanbase is already complaining - about something we know nothing of.

Edited by Cowoline

Some players come and go - the game is but a passing fancy to them. When they come and bloviate about why we all need to know they're leaving, I usually just tune them out (even where they have valid points).

Others, like Porsa, very obviously care a great deal about this game and making it better. They offer feedback and suggestions and contribute in many ways. Think of them as "investors." These are the players that BENEFIT the game and the forums. We should want them to stay. I can't see any basis for belittling her (him? -dunno) when they express disappointment about things in the game. The main reason being that their disappointment is not outlandish and petulant (i.e. if you want my sub, give me 6 new ops every year!). But rather it's reasonable: if you want my sub, pls fix what you broke. If you can't do that, at least give me a good reason why.

I could go on, but that's about enough. We need to be able to distinguish between these two camps of players generally...

1. Not a dude

2. I have also been here since the beginning (and been a subscriber the entire time)

3. People have been whining for ages about wanting the game to be free to play. And last time I checked not paying and still having access to the entire game meant getting it all for nothing. So again: people want something for nothing.

Your statement is only valid if they no longer maintained the game or developed new content. And yes, the past year has felt low on content - but it also seems like they ditched all their plan in order to go back to the "republic vs. empire" story people wanted. Not to mention getting Kieth instead of Ben, which has undoubtedly change some things behind the scene. They have released new content the past year and have announced a new expansion, yet the more grumpy part of the fanbase is already complaining - about something we know nothing of.

not exactly, people want a fair deal.. look at eso, gw2, black desert and many other b2p mmo's.. how are they getting away with not paying a subscription fee but still having the servers up and running, lots of content, and high population. you have to ask the question, why are we stuck in the stone age and getting shafted when so many other modern day mmo's have a better deal, better plan. Why should we be paying extra? How is that FAIR compared to the rest of the market? Especially when you aren't getting much for your sub fee and hardly any content.

Edited by SaerethDL

There's plenty of FtP games for you to enjoy without making this one too. Feel free to do so, the option is there whether or not you're still subscribing to TOR. I personally much prefer paying a pittance once a month for unrestricted gameplay to shelling out to not be inconvenienced in every way on every character. When I get bored with TOR (and that happens on occasion) or any other MMORPG, I simply stop paying and playing till I feel like it again. There's a lot of other enjoyable games out there. Why is this so tricky? If I can manage, anyone can.

not exactly, people want a fair deal.. look at eso, gw2, black desert and many other b2p mmo's.. how are they getting away with not paying a subscription fee but still having the servers up and running, lots of content, and high population. you have to ask the question, why are we stuck in the stone age and getting shafted when so many other modern day mmo's have a better deal, better plan. Why should we be paying extra? How is that FAIR compared to the rest of the market? Especially when you aren't getting much for your sub fee and hardly any content.

It helps me understand why most people have a very poor grasp on what it takes to run a business. Neither you or I knows what it costs to run this game. The fee they have to pay for the franchise alone, since they have to "rent it". Not to mention the amount of story they do and voice actors they have to pay for compared to many other titles. And if you don't think its fair, then unsub and go F2P. Peoples expectations are unrealistic and often their complaints come across as being a little narrow minded.