Speculation on the Release Date of 6.0: What does your Magic 8-ball say?

My post got buried in another thread, so I thought I'd bring it up here for people who like to speculate:

If ranked pvp Season 9 is ending midsummer per SWTORCentral's inteview https://www.twitch.tv/videos/244785747, can we speculate that it coincides with 6.0? Ranked season end usually coincides with a large game update, or with class rebalancing efforts.

First of all, when is midsummer?

According to Wiki:

Midsummer is the period of time centered upon the summer solstice, and more specifically the northern European celebrations that accompany the actual solstice or take place on a day between June 19 and June 25 and the preceding evening. The exact dates vary between different cultures. The undivided Christian Church designated June 24 as the feast day of the early Christian martyr St John the Baptist, and the observance of St John's Day begins the evening before, known as St John's Eve.

• So by that rationale, how likely is Season 9 and possibly 6.0 to be in late June of this year?

• Alternately, could Season 9 end simply coincide with the utility changes previously announced in 5.9. Thus 5.9 is to be released midsummer?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

S9 pvp might end with 5.10. It sounds like they're not sure how many 5.# will happen before 6.0 arrives.

Possibly. They seemed certain there would be a 5.10, but did not mention the likelihood of a 5.11 or 5.12 etc. I think you are probably right with 5.10 since 5.9 is in May, iirc.

I'm thinking... September 2018

That's a good reserved estimate based on the likelihood of there not being any other game updates after 5.10.

November or December.

Wow you're going for the full 2 years between expansions! Pessimism or realism? :confused:

I'm one of those... err on the side of caution type Hutts so I'm going to guess late October / November with the caveat being that it will be slightly (operative word slightly) more robust than 5.9 and 5.10. Regardless, before Christmas.

I know they said 5.9 will wrap up the Theron Arc, so I assume that leaves 5.10 to deal with the big baddies with whom he *cough* is secretly *cough* aligned. So, if 5.9 is May 1. I'm guessing 5.10 will be July / August.

I expect 6.0 to be an intro story line with two Flashpoints max, and 1 Op boss. Sounds like a new Warzone as well, though not sure what they mean by polymorph.

I am fully expecting our resident three doomsayers who have been predicting the end of the game since I rejoined to come in and lower expectations. In my case, I've already done so but am happy new content is coming and that the lights are on for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, the resident DOOMSAYERS can't rain on my friggin parade! As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm fortunate that I like other games and both ESO and WoW have full expansions coming out in June and September, respectively.

My basis for the smaller content release is Keith's statement during a recent podcast that it is better to release smaller patches / updates to avoid huge content droughts. Given BW's obvious scare resources...well... you know.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Wow you're going for the full 2 years between expansions! Pessimism or realism? :confused:
Arguably, 5.x just finished the release of the Operation...if Keith decides to release 6.0 as a FULL Expansion, not pieced releases like 5.x, I can't see it being any sooner than that...if even then.

November or December.

This most likely is correct. If you remember the last expansions they normally happened in the winter months around November and December and most of the time they will stick to their original schedule, besides if it is released around Christmas they can disappear again for a month.

Edited by casirabit

I'm one of those... err on the side of caution type Hutts so I'm going to guess late October / November with the caveat being that it will be slightly (operative word slightly) more robust than 5.9 and 5.10. Regardless, before Christmas.

I know they said 5.9 will wrap up the Theron Arc, so I assume that leaves 5.10 to deal with the big baddies with whom he *cough* is secretly *cough* aligned. So, if 5.9 is May 1. I'm guessing 5.10 will be July / August.

Yeah, I had forgotten about the roadmap update saying 5.9 in May. So if S9 ends in midsummer, then we can expect it to coincide with 5.10...?

I expect 6.0 to be an intro story line with two Flashpoints max, and 1 Op boss. Sounds like a new Warzone as well, though not sure what they mean by polymorph.

I am fully expecting our resident three doomsayers who have been predicting the end of the game since I rejoined to come in and lower expectations. In my case, I've already done so but am happy new content is coming and that the lights are on for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, the resident DOOMSAYERS can't rain on my friggin parade! As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm fortunate that I like other games and both ESO and WoW have full expansions coming out in June and September, respectively.

My basis for the smaller content release is Keith's statement during a recent podcast that it is better to release smaller patches to avoid huge content droughts. Given BW's obvious scare resources...well... you know.

Dasty

This is true, and so far Keith has lived up to that. However, 6.0 has been confirmed, and as of this December, it will be a full 2 years since SWTOR has had an expansion.

This is true, and so far Keith has lived up to that. However, 6.0 has been confirmed, and as of this December, it will be a full 2 years since SWTOR has had an expansion.

I don't think they care that it has been 2 years since an expansion. I think WE care, but that obviously doesn't matter enough to factor into the equation.

SWTOR used to be my "main" and really only game. That's not the case anymore, and it may not even be on the list of things I continue to do if they don't make repeating old content fun again (aka: fix conquest).

BUT - in order to not take this thread off track, I do not think the Ranked season has anything at all to do with 6.0 and the two things happening in the game will not coincide.

I would not look for 6.0 before October or November at the earliest, and I think it will be a lot smaller "expansion" than anyone expects, though I agree with Dasty's assessment: a flashpoint or two, perhaps an ops boss, perhaps a PvP map, and a smidgen of story taking us back to Empire vs. Republic.

I expect it will be ever so slightly more than the last few updates we got, but not really much more than a hefty update that just starts with 6 point zero instead of being 5 point whatever.

Edited by PennyAnn

I'd say late 2018 or January or February of 2019. 5.10 is still to come, maybe summer, say July or August.

As for 6.0, I don't hold out much hope for story content being significant. Lots of killing mobs in a flashpoint or two, then a cutscene or two at best. I am really hoping for something replayable and halfway enjoyable like with SOR, and with a small class specific quest, but who knows. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'll guess February-March 2019 maybe later given the inevitable delays. Definitely not before Anthem is released. I expect 6.0 will be in the Iokath style (non-repeatable/replayable with some kind of rep attached). I'm not expecting any immersive story or interaction with any of my favourite original companions. Class will be ignored as will lore. I expect a tiny story arc stretched out for a year at least with FPs full of stun-crazy-stealth-seeing trash mobs and Ops. I expect that once again the favoured Lana will be the primary focus/lead appearing in every scene (even if only on the coms) where we would rather see/hear our favourite companion. I'm expecting at least one more betrayal even though most people are sick of it. LIs and romance will be reserved for Arcannites and Lanarites. They will have a kill option for another player-favourite companion (obviously not Lana). I expect there will continue to be lots of CM activity and sub rewards to squeeze money out of those who unsubbed and can't resist a new shiny bribe. There will also be a number of "fixes" to aspects of the game that are working fine, causing mayhem & implosions on the forums. Darth Jadus is unlikely to make an appearance. Pity.

Hopefully WoW will launch their classic server before any of the above happens. If none of the above happens and they do the opposite I will sub for an entire year upfront. Accept my challenge BW!

I don't think they care that it has been 2 years since an expansion. I think WE care, but that obviously doesn't matter enough to factor into the equation.

Would you rather they rush it out to hit a date, or get it as right as they can before release? Personally I prefer the latter.

With this in mind, I am going on the record: April 2019. Yes that is more than two years since the last "expansion" but it will be approximately one year after the "conclusion" of the story within 5.x.

Would you rather they rush it out to hit a date, or get it as right as they can before release? Personally I prefer the latter.

With this in mind, I am going on the record: April 2019. Yes that is more than two years since the last "expansion" but it will be approximately one year after the "conclusion" of the story within 5.x.

Pantheon just might be in Alpha by then ... and it's goodbye SWtOR for me I'm afraid .....

My guess is 2019 and it will not be a proper expansion (or just like previous ones) just because it's got a number change

And I thought TUX was pessimistic. Why would Musco and Charles officially tell us in the interview that there will be a 6.0 expansion but then not release it until 2019? Ouch.

What do you guys think the dev team have been doing the past 1.5 years? Since there has been barely any content, I HOPE they are working on a SoR-sized expansion for 6.0 (but will be satisfied if it's one Yavin-esque planet and 1 operation, plus an increase in level cap to 75... I'd even be happy with an Oricon-esque expansion).

Am I unrealistic?

The impression i got from the interview was that 6.0 is still in the writing phase. With the limited ressources i doubt 6.0 will be released this year. I expect 2018 will be about companion returns, conquest tweaks and maybe 2-3 more flashpoints leading into the story of 6.0. The expansion might drop in the first or second quarter of 2019 at the earliest and i don't expect much from it. A mixture of RotHC and SoR with the Iokath version of Republic vs Empire (same story, mostly same locations, different NPCs)

• 1 year later...

The impression i got from the interview was that 6.0 is still in the writing phase. With the limited ressources i doubt 6.0 will be released this year. I expect 2018 will be about companion returns, conquest tweaks and maybe 2-3 more flashpoints leading into the story of 6.0. The expansion might drop in the first or second quarter of 2019 at the earliest and i don't expect much from it. A mixture of RotHC and SoR with the Iokath version of Republic vs Empire (same story, mostly same locations, different NPCs)

Looks like you two were the closest. What an optimist I was :(

TUX you were wrong too, haha :D It's even later than your prediction.

TUX you were wrong too, haha :D It's even later than your prediction.

And people think I'm 'negative'... ;)

I was almost a full year off...but...I did point out that I knew I was being optimistic...I just didn't realize how optimistic I actually was being...

LOL! :rak_03:

I started typing a very, very sternly worded response about how I predicted October and should have won.

Then I looked at the year.

Nevuhmind,

Dasty

Edited by Jdast