Compassion, Healing or Love for the Broken Dark Princess: Vaylin Appreciation <3

JakRoanin

What about an off-story companion? Like Ranos or Hexid? unlocked or purchased, how do you feel about that?

As an option. OMG, why do developers so stubbornly do not want to give players Vaylin? There are many opportunities for this. Or are they afraid that Vaylin will become more popular than their precious Lana?:rolleyes:

Wait, have it not been officially iced like... more then a year ago? I know that Marc Laydlow published a plot in his Twitter as a small consolation prize?

Edit: Ah, that was a joke. Sorry, I feel like a giraffe now :D.

Faithful followers will forever wait for the advent of HL3! Our faith is unshakable!

As an option. OMG, why do developers so stubbornly do not want to give players Vaylin? There are many opportunities for this. Or are they afraid that Vaylin will become more popular than their precious Lana?:rolleyes:

Lana is popular? :confused: I always found her annoying and incompetent.

*throws money at screen* Gimme Vaylin companion!!!!... I'll headcanon the rest!

Maybe the Lana fans were vocal during KOTFE? I'm not sure if Vaylin would be more popular than Lana, for a dark sided character, Vaylin could have been the perfect ideal companion, she's just as crazy as my Inquisitor and Warrior.

Developers don't want to give us Vaylin? Again, if I had to guess, I would say they were unaware that people liked her until after KOTET had released. Maybe they're unsure on how to proceed?

Lana is popular? :confused: I always found her annoying and incompetent.

*throws money at screen* Gimme Vaylin companion!!!!... I'll headcanon the rest!

I'm pretty sure she's fairly popular with the fans, but it's hard to be sure. I rather like her most of the time myself. But she is overused. However much or little the fans like her, the devs seem to like her a bit too much.

Edited by gamephil

I'm pretty sure she's fairly popular with the fans, but it's hard to be sure. I rather like her most of the time myself. But she is overused. However much or little the fans like her, the devs seem to like her a bit too much.

That's one of the reasons why I like the Mandalorian chapter ... No Lana or Theron! :rak_03:

She was when Shadow of Revan came out, but I lost interest in her when KOTFE came out, then started to despise her with KOTET, she made a lot of what I would call bad decisions in KOTET.

She's one of few characters that are alive for everyone.

That's one of the reasons why I like the Mandalorian chapter ... No Lana or Theron! :rak_03:

She was when Shadow of Revan came out, but I lost interest in her when KOTFE came out, then started to despise her with KOTET, she made a lot of what I would call bad decisions in KOTET.

Oh, I understand. There are several characters that I like or at least would like that I need to ignore swaths of their dialog to even tolerate. Koth's decision to plant a bomb, and the fact that he never grew out of his hero worship of Valkorion on screen. Theron and this entire recent arc. Lana telling me to listen to Valkorion and crediting him with my character's growth.

Senya.

It's honestly wearying. I get it, people aren't perfect and all that, but sometimes that's just taken too far. They can be imperfect without being whatever this was. Plus, I'd just like the old companions to get more screen time.

Oh, I understand. There are several characters that I like or at least would like that I need to ignore swaths of their dialog to even tolerate. Koth's decision to plant a bomb, and the fact that he never grew out of his hero worship of Valkorion on screen. Theron and this entire recent arc. Lana telling me to listen to Valkorion and crediting him with my character's growth.

Senya.

It's honestly wearying. I get it, people aren't perfect and all that, but sometimes that's just taken too far. They can be imperfect without being whatever this was. Plus, I'd just like the old companions to get more screen time.

Oh screw Senya ... yeah ... going to save your children from the dark?! Nope

Well ... that bomb was a good idea ... pity he didn't make an appearance so he could activate it.

I'm surprised they didn't show Koth in the slightest in this flashpoint, especially during the scenes on board the Gravestone.

Senya.

For a character that was the main focus in the trailer, Senya didn't do much when KOTET came out. She either dies or is in a coma for majority of it.

Edited by DefenderTwo

If you got a Vaylin companion (story-related, CM, or just via the terminal), would you prefer her KotFE appearance or the KotET one? Ideally you could have both via customization, but if you could only get one...? Personally I prefer her KotFE look.

If you got a Vaylin companion (story-related, CM, or just via the terminal), would you prefer her KotFE appearance or the KotET one? Ideally you could have both via customization, but if you could only get one...? Personally I prefer her KotFE look.

Given the choice, maybe her Kotet outfit? I do like the tattoo designs she has on her arms.

I'd prefer the KotFE look between the two. It looks more like SWTOR-style light armor (which is to say, not like armor at all, but close enough) and looks more like someone that's going to go into action. The hair was a nice touch. I still think she should put some armor over her heart and lungs, but other than that quibble, it's a good design.

The KotET design makes some sense as a ruler and sorceress type, and I think they were meaning her to have a kind of crown under the hood (personally, I think the head lumps served that function well enough), but her original look makes more sense to me as a companion. I would miss being able to see the tattoos, though.

Edited by gamephil

I'd prefer the KotFE look between the two. It looks more like SWTOR-style light armor (which is to say, not like armor at all, but close enough) and looks more like someone that's going to go into action. The hair was a nice touch. I still think she should put some armor over her heart and lungs, but other than that quibble, it's a good design.

The Kotfe appearance did appear more practical for combat when compared to the later outfit.

Honestly if they returned her with one and put the other on the token vendors I would switch between the two like I do with Arcann.

KOTFE, I never understood her taste in that weird double hood look. :eek:

Edited by Paulsutherland

What about unlocking Vaylin for reaching a certain legacy level or completing a certain part of the game?

Any suggestion for non-story companion work equally well for me, as long as she's voiced and not "forced" on anyone, honestly. I've seen three: CM, subscription reward, and "do X task and get her as a companion" (this one here). Perhaps that should be its own thing in Suggestions.

Any suggestion for non-story companion work equally well for me, as long as she's voiced and not "forced" on anyone, honestly. I've seen three: CM, subscription reward, and "do X task and get her as a companion" (this one here). Perhaps that should be its own thing in Suggestions.

All those options sound good to me. :D

There was a few Vaylin themed things on Reddit recently, in fact wasn't there a thread on Reddit last week asking about Vaylin coming back through Nathema? (at work atm - can't check reddit) There was also one asking us to exchange Arcann for Vaylin. :eek:

Why would she be forced as a non story companion? If you didn't want her you could simply ignore it.

Why would she be forced as a non story companion? If you didn't want her you could simply ignore it.

I'm honestly not sure, that's why "forced" was in quotes. I've seen more than one person (maybe) talk about how, for example, her being a subscription reward or the like would be forcing her on us as a companion, or comments about how we should just never get any more non-story companions at all. That second one I can sympathize with a bit, I'd much prefer more stories about our companions, especially this one, but those complaints have been there. I ultimately just put that in because I want to respect that opinion, not because I fully understand it.

The one I do understand is the opportunity cost argument: that if they put time into giving us her, they take time from something else. I'm not sure that one works, she looks like she would be easy to do, since they have so much voiced content to pull lines from and they've already had her as a pseudo-companion in Chapter 9, but since I'm really not sure how much effort that it would take they might be right. I like to think that it would be fairly easy and please enough fans to be worth it, but I'm really not sure of either.

Fear not Brother Phil ... for I, Lord Sutherland ... have a plan! (By Fleeting-Sanity)

So, lets begin:

1 - We throw money at BW, then -

2 - We unlock on CM a mission with Zildrog, then -

3 - We have a component for Mother Machine on Belsavis, then -

4 - The Mother Machine telling us about Sith Voodoo, then -

5 - We bring the Sacrifice, then -

6 - ????

7 - Vaylin is return as a companion:rak_03:

(Just a small question - I recently reinstalled the system and had to re-download the launcher, but it's been a whole day hanging and nothing updates, is this normal???)

#Arcann,Nathema&Vaylin

I'm honestly not sure, that's why "forced" was in quotes. I've seen more than one person (maybe) talk about how, for example, her being a subscription reward or the like would be forcing her on us as a companion, or comments about how we should just never get any more non-story companions at all. That second one I can sympathize with a bit, I'd much prefer more stories about our companions, especially this one, but those complaints have been there. I ultimately just put that in because I want to respect that opinion, not because I fully understand it.

The one I do understand is the opportunity cost argument: that if they put time into giving us her, they take time from something else. I'm not sure that one works, she looks like she would be easy to do, since they have so much voiced content to pull lines from and they've already had her as a pseudo-companion in Chapter 9, but since I'm really not sure how much effort that it would take they might be right. I like to think that it would be fairly easy and please enough fans to be worth it, but I'm really not sure of either.

Well, I suppose I could understand the 'forced' part if it were a Subscription reward, but that would just be a bonus for subscribing.

I've no idea how difficult it would be accomplish, so I don't know. As you say their a plenty of lines already in the game that could be adapted to a companion, but again I have no idea how hard that would be to implement.

Story? I've seen a few comments saying she could be inside the Outlander, what if, she jumped into Senya or Arcann when they connected to the mind meld chapter?

(Just a small question - I recently reinstalled the system and had to re-download the launcher, but it's been a whole day hanging and nothing updates, is this normal???)

Maybe it lost connection while it was updating?

Edited by DefenderTwo

So, lets begin:

1 - We throw money at BW, then -

2 - We unlock on CM a mission with Zildrog, then -

3 - We have a component for Mother Machine on Belsavis, then -

4 - The Mother Machine telling us about Sith Voodoo, then -

5 - We bring the Sacrifice, then -

6 - ????

7 - Vaylin is return as a companion:rak_03:

#Arcann,Nathema&Vaylin

Well ... the Belsavis Machine would be my #1 choice ... it can create life as it sees ... so we'll throw dead Vaylin into it ... make it fix her, then have Vaylin companions for everyone! :D