There's a petition out there to revoke EA's Star Wars license

DoctorBeckett

There are a few other good publishers out there that can be good to the SW IP, right now Disney needs to treat their IP with a bit more respect rather than giving it to the next worst publisher like Ubisoft and treating it like nothing but a money making machine that deserves nothing better than being scraped off my boot after slipping on it and falling down.

I bet if they go looking around, there are soome good medium sized publishers out there that really care about their games and their communities and investing in one of those publishers for the future would be something Disney could work with.

this ^^

The current licensing terms provided by Disney are prohibitive to convince an investor to spend 3 to 4 years investing in a good game. The only way I can see another publisher work is if Disney provides the financing. EA has five years left on the deal, I would be surprised to see anything but another battlefront(if 2 was even profitable), expansion for their mobile games and SWTOR. Disney needs to look at licensing per title per genre and taking royalties to not scare away game investors.

At this point with the restriction on what EA can do in the games I wouldn't be surprised if investor where happy to see the Star Wars IP go. Disney didn't give EA a license to even make design/story choices they want this has resulted in EA having longer delay's due to checking with Disney and EA's lack of desire to properly invest in new Star Wars IP titles. To me Anthem is a clear indication EA want's it's investments in it's own IP's. When I was looking at investing in gaming stock EA was the first one off the table due to lack of it's own IP's, I ended going with activision/blizzard just because they own their IP's and aren't at the whims of another corporation to be able to make the games they want.

I bet if they go looking around, there are soome good medium sized publishers out there that really care about their games and their communities and investing in one of those publishers for the future would be something Disney could work with.

It's one thing to give a smaller studio a console or single player PC game to develop and publish.

MMMOs are an entirely different class of game to build and maintain though. And very few game companies have the depth and breadth to serve all the major gaming genres and platforms.

As for what Disney wants or thinks... no amount of petitions or chest beating on the internet is going to influence what Disney wants. Disney decommissioned the development arm of Lucas Arts on day one of the acquisition and immediately sought a business partnership with a large game corporation. And Disney historically prefers to outsource anything that is not part of the core competency of their core entertainment business (which is why they put most of their investment efforts in acquiring IP they can make movies and downstream IP royalties from ... and that would include most games and gaming platforms. For a range of games that Disney plans to leverage their IP with... that left them with only a few choices really in the industry that actually has the development depth and chops to build and maintain a range of different games on different platforms. Of the top 5 game holding companies in the industry... only EA or Activision/Blizzard actually have the depth to serve the broader range of game platforms in the market today. I guess.. you could argue Nintendo is in the mix too... but they are focused only on console gaming I believe.

Edited by Andryah

Odds are almost 100% that the contract between EA and LucasArts contained language that set forth grounds for terminating the agreement. Not liking how they handled one of the titles covered by the agreement is quite probably not one of those reasons. Nor is disagreeing with microtranactions likely grounds for terminating the agreement.

The petition is an exercise in futility.

Perhaps. If casual mainstream Star Wars fans looking for a Star Wars game to play (EA's target demographic) do their homework and consult gaming forums and the press (not EA's press, not influencer's press, but unbiased press) to find out what they and their money would be getting into ... and in their searches find links all over the Interwebs to some pesky little petition that condemns their potential investment - a petition that just happens to be signed by 125,000 other real people and is only just gaining momentum ... then they may well decide against making that purchase.

Such is the power of petitions that resonate. And this one is resonating.

Edited by GalacticKegger

the stock market is volatile and goes up and down. Over the past 5 years ea's stock increase has been 677.88% for 3 years its 130.40%. Over the past 52 weeks it has been a 32.46% increase. Nothing has changed bad news about governments looking at legislating loot boxes has brought all gaming stocks down a bit, but as long as their next quarter report is profitable look for it to shoot back up, until a stock market crash.

It's one thing to give a smaller studio a console or single player PC game to develop and publish.

MMMOs are an entirely different class of game to build and maintain though. And very few game companies have the depth and breadth to serve all the major gaming genres and platforms.

As for what Disney wants or thinks... no amount of petitions or chest beating on the internet is going to influence what Disney wants. Disney decommissioned the development arm of Lucas Arts on day one of the acquisition and immediately sought a business partnership with a large game corporation. And Disney historically prefers to outsource anything that is not part of the core competency of their core entertainment business (which is why they put most of their investment efforts in acquiring IP they can make movies and downstream IP royalties from ... and that would include most games and gaming platforms. For a range of games that Disney plans to leverage their IP with... that left them with only a few choices really in the industry that actually has the development depth and chops to build and maintain a range of different games on different platforms. Of the top 5 game holding companies in the industry... only EA or Activision/Blizzard actually have the depth to serve the broader range of game platforms in the market today. I guess.. you could argue Nintendo is in the mix too... but they are focused only on console gaming I believe.

A huge studio isn't needed to make a mega game and as long as the studio has the money to produce something if excellent quality and it's well cared for with a happy community, it will become productive and over time money is being made as is the reputation of this mid sized group.

Perhaps. If casual mainstream Star Wars fans looking for a Star Wars game to play (EA's target demographic) do their homework and consult gaming forums and the press (not EA's press, not influencer's press, but unbiased press) to find out what they and their money would be getting into ... and in their searches find links all over the Interwebs to some pesky little petition that condemns their potential investment - a petition that just happens to be signed by 125,000 other real people and is only just gaining momentum ... then they may well decide against making that purchase.

Such is the power of petitions that resonate. And this one is resonating.

Petitions don't help if no one at EA is taking any notice of it and if the Media are not laying into EA over BFr2's lockbox problems and then overwatch as well as the petitions, it don't resonate anything. If only a few hundred thousand are taking any notice instead of millions it can be safely ignored. You want your petition to resonate? Start getting more people involved in the petition, get it out there in any social networking site, media outlet and so on otherwise if it doesn't do much better then it's hardly enough to be concerned about.

Petitions don't help if no one at EA is taking any notice of it and if the Media are not laying into EA over BFr2's lockbox problems and then overwatch as well as the petitions, it don't resonate anything. If only a few hundred thousand are taking any notice instead of millions it can be safely ignored. You want your petition to resonate? Start getting more people involved in the petition, get it out there in any social networking site, media outlet and so on otherwise if it doesn't do much better then it's hardly enough to be concerned about.
Someone mentioned that Reddit also has a thread with the link. 35,000 sigs happened within hours of George Takei putting that link on his Facebook page and more are doing likewise. The number of folks who signed that petition have increased from 55,000 to over 135,000 now in less than a week. But wait ... there's more!

Forbes, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal are all over this because it is news. EA's "predatory practices" are going viral on Youtube courtesy of popular vloggers like Jim Sterling, Laymen Gaming, Skill Up and AngryJoe. Those few hundred thousand have indeed become millions. Plus, the legislature here is stepping it up as well ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=47&v=5WxcGYvvgJo.

EA is getting their asses handed to them in the court of public opinion as we're well past merely scratching the surface. It's only a matter of time before they get their asses handed to them in a court of law because legislators won't stop until laws are in place to protect their constituents. I know ours won't. A United States v. Entertainment Software Association (ESA) showdown, featuring a complicit EA (among others) sitting squarely in Uncle Sam's crosshairs, is quite possible. There are very few things our lawmakers and their good friends at the Justice Department enjoy more than taking down "untouchable" 600 lb. gorillas.

Edited by GalacticKegger

EA is getting their asses handed to them in the court of public opinion as we're well past merely scratching the surface. It's only a matter of time before they get their asses handed to them in a court of law because legislators won't stop until laws are in place to protect their constituents. I know ours won't. A United States v. Entertainment Software Association (ESA) showdown, featuring a complicit EA (among others) sitting squarely in Uncle Sam's crosshairs, is quite possible. There are very few things our lawmakers and their good friends at the Justice Department enjoy more than taking down "untouchable" 600 lb. gorillas.

What world are you living in? The current U.S. regulatory environment is so friendly to businesses -- and large businesses in particular -- it's unreal. Why do you think Net Neutrality is about to go the way of the dodo?

Edited by DarthDymond

A state representative from Hawaii grabbing his 5 minutes of screen time by jumping on something he saw CNN talk about... yeah, we got real hope and change coming there.
So you have attended Representative Lee's game on sessions in Honolulu and know all about his character and his ideals? Splendid! DarthDymond should stick out like a sore thumb on the attendance sheet at the next session when everybody reconvenes in January for 5 minutes of screen time like

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTURChcYM9A. Woops ... last one was only 3 minutes long. Damn ... :mad:

Maybe genuine activism for whatever reason pushes a wince button for others, but in my world (since you asked) people do something about fixing what is ethically wrong. If there's a problem with that then don't watch.

[edit] btw ... the next time you try dissing someone's character (especially a public servant) be sure you know them first.

Edited by GalacticKegger