Does Master Ranos pronounce some words wrong or am I going deaf?

Sangetorix

Sadly I did not get Master Ranos because I didn't want to do all the requirements for the DvL event (actually, just didn't have the time for it all tbh). After reading some stuff on the forums, I saw she offers some (very vague and generalized) tidbits about some of our currently lost companions and what they're doing. So I decided to head to youtube and see if I could see for myself.

As I was watching the first video in the search results (the Inquisitor meeting her) I noticed two kind of odd things:

-bureaucracy was pronounced "ber-ak-a-sy"

-when meant to say Eternal Empire, she said "internal" Empire

...Did anybody else notice this or am I going crazy?

Edited by Sangetorix

I don't remember Ranos' dialogue specifically, but (although they do usually have good voice acting) Swtor does seem to have a higher than average number of mistakes or weird line deliveries in their dialogue. I figured that was because there was so much of it, occasionally a few mistakes fell through the cracks.

The female Jedi Consular says "I assume you can mediate on route" on Voss at one point when the character obviously meant "meditate."

Then there was stuff like when the female Sith Warrior proudly said to the Sand Demon: "Dessert Monster -- I stand my ground! I will not run!

Edited by OldVengeance

I really hate Ranos' voice and I don't use her for that reason.

I don't know what they told her to do for the voice but I'd have much rather heard the actor's natural voice than whatever it was she came up with for it because her normal voice sounds fine.

I never noticed. I can't imagine them letting it actually go live though if it was wrong. Their voice acting has always been on point, I think that's the one thing they seem to do pretty flawlessly.

Both the male and female Agent pronounce "Legate" incorrectly at the exact same point before going to Hoth (and I believe the male Agent does it one more time later).

Then there was stuff like when the female Sith Warrior proudly said to the Sand Demon: "Dessert Monster -- I stand my ground! I will not run!

Yes! I know! Like it's a giant fanged cupcake or something! At first I thought it was an accent? Maybe it is I dunno, but the male warrior doesn't say it like that :confused:

Both the male and female Agent pronounce "Legate" incorrectly at the exact same point before going to Hoth (and I believe the male Agent does it one more time later).

Has anyone ever noticed the male agent's stutter? I love it, love his voice.

I noticed that Ranos' accent was more "American" -- to be exact -- "Southern American" (I am from the South, I pick up on that ... ) --- seemed kind of strange for a Jedi, ( and a Chiss) -- but that is me ...

I don't have her either .... I AM the only Chiss JK as far as I am concerned :)

She has an interesting accent. I like it. I'm from the South but it doesn't sound southern to me, LOL.

When I hear dialog that sounds wrong, I always assume it's just me hearing it wrong. I used to think they were saying, "Do you want a piece of meat, boy?" in Starcraft. :rolleyes:

Yeah her voice isn't the greatest. I'm just pleased she has a voice though.

I fully expected Stock Huttese Nonsense Comp n++

Until proven otherwise, that's my forecast for Hexid as well.

Hexid was done at the same time and for the same reasons as Ranos. Unless they seal off the already-recorded dialog, Hexid will almost certainly be fully voiced and provide the same in-game information (though probably with a different point of view) as Ranos.

I really hope they don't seal off the dialog there.

She has an interesting accent. I like it. I'm from the South but it doesn't sound southern to me

Her voice sounds a lot like Bill Burr (the comedian)'s wife, Nia. It's a type of New York (or eastern US, at least) accent.

Edited by JediQuaker

I noticed that Ranos' accent was more "American" -- to be exact -- "Southern American" (I am from the South, I pick up on that ... ) --- seemed kind of strange for a Jedi, ( and a Chiss) -- but that is me ...

I don't have her either .... I AM the only Chiss JK as far as I am concerned :)

While Master Ranos' accent IS American, it sure isn't Southern. The farthest south that accent could be is South Jersey.

Lol oh yeah I have noticed other mistakes before! Especially that "Dessert" Monster :p

Speaking of all that, I always thought that the Consular's master on Tython pronounced the word 'coordinates' really weird, with a large emphasis on the 'nates' part.

Maybe I should have named this thread 'the weird way NPCs talk in SWTOR' :D

Edited by Sangetorix

Entertaining thread, let me contribute

Playing huttball over the years I've had to turn off the voice volume because of the announcer sounding like he's saying

"Sentient Beans". Drives me nuts.

I suspect some of these things might be due to bad audio compression...

Quinn sounds like saying "If you think that's the best juice of me." :p

I love Ranos' voice. Kind of like Vizla's. I love to send Ranos out on missions just to hear her outgoing and incoming dialogue.

Re: Fem Warrior's Dessert Monster--is that actress actually British? Maybe she flubbed it trying to make "desert" sound British but she's actually Canadian or American?

I admit I love choosing the dialogue in The Foundry where our imps get to fake an "American" (Republic) accent. Some of them do it really well, but maybe they're actually American or Canadian and they fake the rest of the dialogue.