forced character renames, how many did you all get stuck with?

Jeweledleah

I feel really lucky--I didn't lose any of my 11 names! I wasn't too worried about the ones I created after the game had been running awhile, since they were all pretty unusual. However, a few of my early names were simple enough that a conflict was definitely possible.

My husband, who is Preferred, did lose 2 of his 4 names, including one he really liked. He had thought about subscribing for a month to give himself a better chance of keeping the names but decided that he didn't care that much. Luckily, adding a first name fixed the problem (the original was a surname), so I think he's pretty happy with the new name.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have not been able to log in, but using the free name change i have had since hutt cartel it appears that i will need to change only one. It wasnt a surprising revaluation, though, as it is the only toon i have that uses a common name. she was named after a character on a show i watch as a memorial to her character who was killed in season two. no bother, though, had already devised a different spelling and will alter it tonight if i get home in time to log in. I dont normally get to log in during the week due to work.

i only say that its a conflicting name because i didnt add all of the numbers after it and its the only one like it. its listed in my list as [name]....234723984

way too many. One of which was the second oldest toon I had, created before the official launch just seconds after my 'main.' I eventually had to either pick a gobbledygook name (mash the keyboard) or leave her unplayed. She's left unplayed.

This was the 3rd or 4th name change for some toons. The list of unavailable names is so long that I timed out each time i tried to rename a character. We'll see how I feel about things in a month or so but atm it was the straw that broke the camels back. But I still have a LONG time before my subscription lapses.

I have 11 of 64 characters blinking at me. 2 of them were my own fault as I had the same names on different servers. Only one is a name I truly coveted. Miyamoto Musashi, my Sith Marauder. He is level 65 and I play him pretty regularly. I named him on the very first day spaces were allowed in names. Not sure why I lost that one.

way too many. One of which was the second oldest toon I had, created before the official launch just seconds after my 'main.' I eventually had to either pick a gobbledygook name (mash the keyboard) or leave her unplayed. She's left unplayed.

This was the 3rd or 4th name change for some toons. The list of unavailable names is so long that I timed out each time i tried to rename a character. We'll see how I feel about things in a month or so but atm it was the straw that broke the camels back. But I still have a LONG time before my subscription lapses.

keta, go outside your normal sources to find a name. as an example, my screen name here is a derivation of the latin phrase, "quo vadis." it originated over a decade ago, now, when i was trying to figure out what Horde toon i wanted to make. i had been nothing but alliance to that point. I spent a few hours trying to figure out where i was going with the idea's that i was coming up with as all my toons have some backstory before i even sit down to create them. it was almost fate as i made a quick pass in front of my book shelf while asking that question and noticed a copy of the book Quo Vadis. blam. Qouivandes was born.

Also, use google translate. put in a phrase and try different languages. one might pop up where you can convert it down to something resembling a name. for example, i went into google translate and typed, "what is in a name" and on the other box i randomly chose a language. after two attempts i clicked one that didnt have characters: Norwegian. i got "hva er i et navn." a new toon name could Hvaeriet or Hvaeri'navn. you could take it step further and look into Norwegian culture and perhaps pattern the new character in that way, but that is purely optional.

hope that helps.

edit: it has been a decade since then....wow. he was created October 2007 during brewfest.

Edited by Qouivandes

I actually recovered two names that I really wanted back from the last server merge. I did this by getting them on the other servers with the hopes that I could claim them. I had to spent way too much on rename tokens but I'm glad to get the names back. One was my MAIN which makes me happy.

Rename tokens for this week should have been like 10CC not 300. But again, EA seeks every opportunity to make a massive money grab and could care less about player loyalty.

None, and that was as a preferred player during the merge. I guess my names are not at all popular - understandable since they're all names from the random generator, sometimes with a little twist.

But yeah, I unsubscribed to see if a preferred player could even keep names as I'm not really attached to mine and it turns out, it's possible. But then, I only have eight characters on the German server, so possibly this example is not very statistically relevant. ;)

keta, go outside your normal sources to find a name. <snip>

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

With that said, you would not believe what names I came up and the sheer numbers I came up with that were rejected. Seriously. The original character I was referring to was named after an extremely obscure character that appeared briefly in a single book that was part of a series of book based upon the Myst universe. And I didn't spell it quite the same way. So .. fast froward from beta, early access etc to last night.

1. Name (her) properly per the "real spelling." Nope

2. Variations including use of accent marks and absurd repetition of various consonants and vowels etc. Nope.

So then it was time to try a different name. So here's what that entailed:

I know enough Scottish Gaelic (not Irish) to get myself a character name: I went through 35 different Scottish Gaelic words... not one of them a "real name" (words meaning everything from frostbite to idiot and pretty much anything else that popped into my head). All unavailable. Really. Scottish Gaelic. Let that sink in. Scottish Gaelic naming is common on the servers? Who knew? ;)

4. Living in Hawaii, I know enough Hawaiian to embarrass myself. So I started with Hawaiian Place names including the village I live in. The street I live on (Keamuku), places we used to live in, the apuaha (township) we live in. Nearby townships. Various versions of the 5 volcanoes that make up the island followed by variations on the name of the underwater volcano off the coast here (Lo'ihi, slated to surface in a bit over 10,000 years). Yes, really. All unavailable. Come on, Keamuku, Ke'amuku etc are all taken? Really? I had no clue so many SWTOR characters were named after Hawaii island ancient lava flows. At that point I didn't bother trying obscure Hawaiian gods (did that in the past and they're usually all gone).

So I went to bed.

it's a bit amusing now, but honestly the character in Question here was created literally at the beginning of the game. She survived several mergers and forced renames intact previously. Not this time though. She was actually my main Empire toon.

So I'm not going to bother. If I need something she crafts I'll buy it on the GTN. Have to do something with my credits before the subscription lapses. Aloha. :)

Edited by Keta

Well, I'm elated, as it looks like I'll be continuing to play. Only one of my lv1 bank characters lost a name unexpectedly, and the other 2 I lost to myself (carbon copies of the same character on 2 servers), which I knew would happen.

Only one thing bothers me, that a lv68 character got to keep a name over the lv25 I wanted to have it, despite the lv25 clearly having more time /played - I specifically afk-farmed play time so this wouldn't happen, and the 25 has 5 more hours than the 68. I made some key errors in the main story with the 68 and want the name to go to the one who'll stay in-character. Hopefully customer service can help, as it begins with a special character and that only works at creation, not with renaming. :(

Furthermore, I'm very sorry for those who lost a name which was precious to them. It was wrong and should not have been implemented this way. Out of curiosity, for those who did lose names, will you be using special characters to get the almost-same name, or starting over with something new and a new story for your character?

Edited by Aulus_Claudius

On my main server, lost 4 on starter level alts. Almost definitely in better hands now anyway, though. Lost only a single name on characters above 10, a mid level in the 40s doing the vanilla story. Ironically, it was on a variant of a name I thought I was going to lose for sure. As it turned out I lost on the variant name, and miraculously kept my original name due to a starter alt on a different server I played up to level 13 with. Had to rename the alt, but didn't delete. Didn't feel right after it managed to keep that name. Other players must have been un-subbed or inactive because I don't think I could've won out otherwise.

Well, I'm elated, as it looks like I'll be continuing to play. Only one of my lv1 bank characters lost a name unexpectedly, and the other 2 I lost to myself (carbon copies of the same character on 2 servers), which I knew would happen.

Only one thing bothers me, that a lv68 character got to keep a name over the lv25 I wanted to have it, despite the lv25 clearly having more time /played - I specifically afk-farmed play time so this wouldn't happen, and the 25 has 5 more hours than the 68. I made some key errors in the main story with the 68 and want the name to go to the one who'll stay in-character. Hopefully customer service can help, as it begins with a special character and that only works at creation, not with renaming. :(

Furthermore, I'm very sorry for those who lost a name which was precious to them. It was wrong and should not have been implemented this way. Out of curiosity, for those who did lose names, will you be using special characters to get the almost-same name, or starting over with something new and a new story for your character?

some of how the names got lost seems.. odd. personaly though I just added ' to a name in a spot where it looked like it belonged. its not an ideal solution, but its something.

I actually recovered two names that I really wanted back from the last server merge. I did this by getting them on the other servers with the hopes that I could claim them. I had to spent way too much on rename tokens but I'm glad to get the names back. One was my MAIN which makes me happy.

Rename tokens for this week should have been like 10CC not 300. But again, EA seeks every opportunity to make a massive money grab and could care less about player loyalty.

I don't know why I didn't think to try this! I have 2 characters with accents in their names who lost the original spellings in one of the first merges. The same level 50 character who has never logged on has still has one of them. :(

I checked to make sure my names (and intended replacements) were safe before the merge so the only one I 'lost' was the one I knew I'd lose to myself (I made a copy of my main from Progenitor on Tomb of Freedon Nadd during the original DvL Event and have now re-named said copy) :)

Rename token being 70% off also means I can change my very very first character's name (originally from Red Eclipse) to something new too and not feel ripped off :)

I hope everyone gets all their favourites back :)

I actually stole a name. There was a celeb name that I wanted on Harb that was taken, so I made that name on The Bastion thinking maybe the person who had the name on Harb has unsub'd by now (cause subs get priority)

Sure enough, logged in last night and I had taken the name I wanted :D:D:D

I only lost one name from one of my Ebon Hawk toons, but it wasn't a big deal because I didn't play that char hardly ever anyways.

Edited by DenariusJay