Game Update 5.2: The War for Iokath Delay

EricMusco

So you're angry that they delayed it for quality reasons?

SNIP...

We'll to be honest you first have to believe it was done for quality reasons. I don't buy that the way this went down.

How much work do you really think is getting done when there at SW Celebration?

I'm betting none because the open bar is much more exciting than RNG or patch work.

Edited by Quraswren

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll to be honest you first have to believe it was done for quality reasons. I don't buy that the way this went down.

How much work do you really think is getting done when there at SW Celebration?

I'm betting none because the open bar is much more exciting than RNG or patch work.

Exactly. Bioware has ZERO rope with their excuses based on past performance. Anybody who takes their word for anything.....well hopefully you saw my first post before bioware removed it for being too accurate :rolleyes:

It's a shame that such an anticipated update would be delayed at the last moment, especially after expectations had been ginned up literally within days of the delay. It suggests at the very least strained communication channels within the organization so it's no wonder that communication to the customers, the playerbase, is so frayed and neglected.

If there was a history of keeping the players in the loop, of treating them with the respect any other company would treat the customers whose satisfaction means profit, then even this sudden delay would be no more than a momentary disappointment. A company has to build goodwill among its target audience and these developers, like so many in the gaming world, have been woefully remiss in that regard. So against that backdrop of neglect they are judged and found wanting, and rightfully so.

I do feel for Eric, as he's in a tough position. He has to sit and read the speculation about what he knew, and when he knew it, and the recrimination that bubbles up from the ensuing suspicions. But managing such sentiment is the core of what he should be doing and if his bosses have him so constrained that he's unable to do it, or if he's such a neophyte that he really doesn't know how to do it, then it's time to step aside.

Even a mediocre product can be managed into its sunset with the right people employing the right methods, and treating their customers as something valuable to the company. The constant backhand that some players are feeling turns problem like the latest into a "thing". Bioware and EA should be as tired and worn out by it as the players.

S:cool:

Look at it this way: Two people, Alice and Beth, each take a trip to Disney World. Neither one works for Disney and neither one works for one of Disney's competitors. They've both been to Disney World the same number of times in the past. They go on the same day and have the same access to the same rides and food stands and shows.

Alice has a great time! Yeah, there was a long wait on the line to get into the park, but wow is it amazing to walk through those gates and into this beautiful world they have set up there. The crowds of people, all the kids laughing and playing, it's such an invigorating feeling. And just seeing all the Disney characters she loves walking around brings her joy. She's disappointed that the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is down, but she has an absolute blast on Space Mountain, the Tea Cups, and a few other rides she gets on after waiting in line for them. She decides it's too cold for Splash Mountain and decides to check out Star Tours instead. The food at the concession stands is expensive, but the Frozen stage show she's watching while eating is exactly what she was hoping for (Olaf's her favorite, after all). When she leaves the park at the end of the day, she is exhausted in the best way and already planning her next trip back in her head.

Beth has a miserable time! The wait to get in the park was atrocious, and by the time she finally gets inside the crowds and noise just set her teeth on edge. The actors they've hired to play her favorite Disney characters walking around the park don't look anything like the characters at all. She was really looking forward to the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, only to find out it's closed when she gets there. Instead she's stuck waiting in one long line after another for rides that she's far less interested in - yeah Space Mountain is fun, but she was really looking forward to the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. She's left shivering after going on Splash Mountain because, unbelievably, its cold that day in freaking Florida. And she just can't believe how insane the food prices are - it is such a rip-off! To cap it off, the Frozen stage show has way too much of that annoying Olaf character and not enough Elsa. When she leaves the park at the end of the day, she is worn down, disappointed, and even a bit pissed off. She's not sure if she ever wants to go back to this place again.

Both Alice's and Beth's reactions to their time at Disney are perfectly valid - it is normal for different people to have different opinions, focuses, preferences, and reactions. And if Alice hears Beth talking about how much Disney World sucks or Beth hears Alice talking about how amazing it is? They're probably going to disagree - maybe quite loudly - with no ulterior motives or malicious intent required.

If Beth brings them up, Alice isn't going to say that it was a good thing that the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was down, that standing in line for a long time is great fun, or that she enjoyed the high food prices and cold weather, but to Alice that's not what her day at Disney was about, so she might end up saying those negative things were no big deal.

This is the best post I've ever read on this forum to display certain points of view. Thumbs up.

So the delay is going to mean that the update will come out without bugs this time in the released content? Admittedly I could care less about the Operations or some other aspects of the game as they do not hold interest for me. I am looking forward to the changes to gearing and if they will come up with new gear instead of reskinning old gear and passing it off as new (Yes I'm looking at you Obroan armor set >.>)

Also I am curious to see if this new portion of the story makes any sense at all...or if it seems forced and/or poorly executed to explain why the commander of the supreme force that overwhelmed the entire galaxy under the hands of an idiot (and yes, I am look at you Arcann! >.>) and brought them to their knees, now only through the leadership of Commander *insert immortal icon here*; that idiot and his more powerful idiot father, the most powerful being in the galaxy (that has been encountered in this game) (Valkorian >.>), are out of the picture how you are going to be challenged and brought into open conflict in a believable manner...wait, what...the story only works if you're a force wielder? Says who? What do you mean there would be practically no counter method for what Valkorian did to you as a non-force wielder? Bleh, anyway...I am curious to see how the story turns out and how it will answer these questions for the players in a semi-realistic manner (understandably it has to encompass all classes within the game...which is a real shame, because the real glory days of the story was when it was based on the individual classes and not one lump story for all classes...but I digress.)

Personally I manage multiple accounts (used to coordinate Roleplay as it is my primary reason for remaining subscribed and would rather see more options to support that, the stronghold was a good start in that respect, though there are still many strides to be made once the servers finally merge (because with the incredibly low activity that I have witnessed personally it's only a matter of time) I hope that calling out a server as the RP server will be a thing once more and help to promote the notion of using the game as a medium for that once again.

How does whining about the whining help slick? At least whining is taking a stance against something specific to the game. Taking a stance against a stance is useless.

And enough of the "take a stand with your wallet" jargon that seems to be everyone's last resort. I've been GM of a large cross server guild since launch, and I have literally seen well over a THOUSAND people unsub and leave this game over the years due to lack of content mixed with overall bioware ineptitude. Every major announcement they have made that was poorly received is met by a rallying cry of people saying they are unsubbing. That has done NOTHING to change the road BW has gone down, or changed their methodology to avoid stupid issues like this one we are babbling about. I personally have deep pockets, so $15 a month is nothing to me. But I have drastically reduced the amount of additional money I used to spend on cartel coins (thousands a year) in "protest", which again has led to nothing.

So yeah, save it. And not that it matters, but if you check my post history from launch until now, it went like this:

Understanding

Disappointed

Sad

Angry

Spiteful

Unapologetic

So yeah, Bioware has turned me into the "rude" and "angry" person making these posts. But just for this product/vendor. Overall I'm a fun guy :p

whining for whining sake is just bad form and complaining at others instead of working it out with them is also just as bad form. how does any of this help?

you also mentioned at the end that comment that you have a double meaning on what you mentioned (rude and angry but a fun guy at the same time?) and as a result you comment in the quote is suspect.

So the delay is going to mean that the update will come out without bugs this time in the released content?

No that's not what it means. The delay means they probably ran into some bugs they want to fix before releasing the content. It does not however mean that the update will not have any bugs on release.

As soon as we know timing for the next maintenance I will post that information.

-eric

Well? When it's gonna be, Eric? Will it happen next Tuesday? Or you delaying it again?:D To quote SI "I am dying of suspence, really" :)