Game Update 5.2 Release Date and More

EricMusco

Seriously. Believe it or not, this is probably the most annoying thing in the game for me now that Companions (specifically Quinn in my case) are returning. I'm convinced that whoever designed this used to design those awful pop-up ads for websites. It's unbelievably distracting and does nothing but yank me out from my SWTOR universe immersion just to constantly remind me of a non-story event that I have absolutely no interest in.

Agreed, these pop-ups are superbly annoying.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

Game Update 5.2 will be launching on Tuesday, April 11th. As we begin to get closer to that date we want to talk more about some of what you can expect in the update. Starting on Monday, here are some of the 5.2 topics we will begin talking about:

• New Galaxy Map
  • PvP on Iokath
  • The Daily Area - What's different and what's the same
  • Access to Iokath - Who, When, How
  • Choosing a Faction on Iokath

We are also planning to do our 5.2 Twitch stream in the next couple of weeks. On that stream we will not only talk about 5.2, but show you some of it as well. Thanks everyone!

-eric

Choosing a faction on Iokath.... hmmm. Since one of my Agents actually DID defect to the Republic at the end of the IA storyline, this would be a welcome continuation of that.

Please don't make it so that I have to complete any of the KotFE or KotET content to access Iokath. While I was one of the people that enjoyed the first eight chapters of KotFE, and did them on several characters, the later chapters, and the KotET chapters were more of a chore than something that would want to ever do again. Making me have to do any of this content over in order to access the new content on any of my alts will make me very, very, very, very..... unhappy.

You and many others are going to be unhappy. From what I have heard from a community contributor is that you will have to complete some of KOTET(through chapter 4, 5 or 6, exact chapter revealed soon), so maybe start your KOTET chapters on at least one character.

You and many others are going to be unhappy. From what I have heard from a community contributor is that you will have to complete some of KOTET(through chapter 4, 5 or 6, exact chapter revealed soon), so maybe start your KOTET chapters on at least one character.

That really sucks. If they do a good job with the content I will want to play in on my alts.

Unfortunately the KotET story as such a chore to get trough for me that I will be very reluctant to do it again.

I know that they need people to play the content in order to justify what they have done, but the best way to make people want to play it again is to make it good in the first place, not restrict the good content behind the bad in order to be able to show their corporate leaders that they didn't really screw up that badly.

Edited by Exly

Hey folks,

Game Update 5.2 will be launching on Tuesday, April 11th. As we begin to get closer to that date we want to talk more about some of what you can expect in the update. Starting on Monday, here are some of the 5.2 topics we will begin talking about:

• New Galaxy Map
  • PvP on Iokath
  • The Daily Area - What's different and what's the same
  • Access to Iokath - Who, When, How
  • Choosing a Faction on Iokath

We are also planning to do our 5.2 Twitch stream in the next couple of weeks. On that stream we will not only talk about 5.2, but show you some of it as well. Thanks everyone!

-eric

Thanks boss! Look forward to the stream.

• New Galaxy Map

Hopefully, whoever's in charge of the new galaxy map isn't the same person who was in charge of the new AoE telegraphs and the new group member icons on the minimap. I love the current galaxy map, so I hope they just adjust the places to travel to just like when they adjusted it to add Zakuul and Odessen... or at least leave players the option to use the old map if they did a full overhaul. I say this because I get real antsy whenever I hear they're doing anything to pre-KOTFE content, as 99% of the time, I don't like the changes and just wish they'd stop spending time messing with Vanilla content, especially when so many bugs in the game go so long without being addressed.

*cough* item preview window *cough*

Edited by Edyn

Honestly if they're going to make us do that on any character we intend to raid on, just to be able to get to the raid, that's nonsense. (i raid on a lot of characters and i'm sure as heck not wasting time doing Kotfe, and kotet on all of those characters. (Not to mention some of those raiders I refuse to do the story for other reason. 1 of those being my main progression raiding character).

I've done the Kotfe story on many alts, (most of them during DvL event) and have deleted them because i didn't need the characters, however I've done Kotet once, and really have no intention of doing it again on any other characters.

Edited by Toraak

Hey folks,

-eric

Please let us know if you're going to be including Quinn spoilers so his crazy fan girls (myself included) can avoid the stream!

Which makes the whole "alliance" faction get together seem so pointless story wise then. Both factions came together and started working together now for a long time, so it would be less likely that they would actually split up again. If anything it would sort of become the new status quo governing body that only fanatical fringe groups would oppose.

The fact that the devs are going drop the pseudo third faction kind of leaves the impression that they don't know where they are going with the story.

Well... yeah, they don't. Ben Irving is an incompetent hack that wouldn't know a coherent narrative if it ran up and bit him in the nose. I mean, the plot-hole-tastic nature of the KotFE and KotET stories is pretty damn clear there... not to mention the extremely clumsy shoehorning of 8 rich class narratives into a single anemic storyline that really only makes sense for the Jedi Knight.

Which makes the whole "alliance" faction get together seem so pointless story wise then. Both factions came together and started working together now for a long time, so it would be less likely that they would actually split up again. If anything it would sort of become the new status quo governing body that only fanatical fringe groups would oppose.

The fact that the devs are going drop the pseudo third faction kind of leaves the impression that they don't know where they are going with the story.

Nah, I find it absurd to think that the hilariously named "eternal alliance" would ever last.

The Empire and Republic were forced to work together so they weren't annihilated, that was their only common ground. They have too many fundamental differences to stay united. I think it's only natural that the Rep and Empire pick up their grievances immediately.

The Outlander, to me, was always going to have to pick a side. No one can control an entire galaxy. The Eternal Alliance was either the utopian dream of an idealist or an attempt at ultimate control by a power hungry individual, high off killing a force god. The question has always been, how does it fall apart? Does the Outlander attempt to keep control or do they immediately align with one side and try to out maneuver the other? It looks like they're going to kick it into high gear by making you choose immediately - which makes sense if you're trying to tell an exciting story.

Who was that community contributor who gave you that information?

Who was that community contributor who gave you that information?

Did you miss this?

Hey folks,

Today will mark the start of us revealing more of the nitty-gritty details of Game Update 5.2. Let’s start at the beginning; who can access Iokath and how do you do so? We really wanted to ensure that as many players as possible are able to access the new content. With that in mind, here we go:

• There is only one requirement to be able to access the new story content in 5.2, the character must be level 70.
  • You do not need to have an active subscription to play the story content, but in order to have a level 70 you must have subscribed since KOTET launched. Also, normal restrictions still apply, so you must be a subscriber to access the Gods from the Machine Operation.
  • The character does not need to have completed KOTFE or KOTET to play the new story. However, it is highly recommended that you have. There will be spoilers to those storylines if you have not played them. Also, if you have not completed KOTFE and KOTET, default choices will be assumed in the new storyline which may not match your preference.
    • Playing Iokath will not affect your KOTFE or KOTET gameplay in any way (such as advancing the story, etc).

[*]To launch the new storyline, head to your ship’s Mission terminal where you can accept the Mission “The Forgotten World.”

If you have any questions about who can access Iokath or how to get there, let me know below. We will be continuing to post more updates throughout the week so keep your eyes peeled.

-eric

Did you miss this?

You didn't read the post I quoted carefully. That post passed on incorrect information as having been provided by some community contributor. I did read the post by Eric Musco you quoted. Eric's post contradicts the post I quoted by jyungle and the information provided to jyungle some community contributor.

Edited by mike_carton

You didn't read the post I quoted carefully. That post passed on incorrect information as having been provided by some community contributor. I did read the post by Eric Musco you quoted. Eric's post contradicts the post I quoted by jyungle and the information provided to jyungle some community contributor.

Yes I read it. And yes it had incorrect information so that's why I quoted Eric's entire post. Eric official statement > "some community contributor". I thought you were asking him for a source so I quoted the correct info for you.

• Dev Post
Please let us know if you're going to be including Quinn spoilers so his crazy fan girls (myself included) can avoid the stream!

No spoilers beyond our usual level of spoilers! Which is to say, not much in the way of spoilers.

-eric

Have they announced if you can recruit companion independent of your faction choice? I really want to stay empire but I also would like to bring Elara back into the empire as well. I dunno if that would qualify as a spoiler I just hope you don't get locked out from getting companions, or killing them because you choose the wrong faction.

Have they announced if you can recruit companion independent of your faction choice? I really want to stay empire but I also would like to bring Elara back into the empire as well. I dunno if that would qualify as a spoiler I just hope you don't get locked out from getting companions, or killing them because you choose the wrong faction.

On the other hand, choices that matter?