KotFE/KotET worth running through on 'Classic' Mains?

GrayWatchman

Just as the title says. Returning Founder here, missed these expansions almost completely due to pesky real life haha. I've got two Sith Pureblood mains, a Juggernaught male and Sorceror female.

Complaints I've heard from KotFE and KotET are that your lovely evil characters get put into the cookie cutter role of the Outlander, and that you lose most of your original classic companions.

Much of the story I've seen on Youtube has been distinctly 'meh'. Pale imitations of the one and only KotOR series.

So, should I hold off on my mains, and just muck about in the expansions with an alt sometime, or is it really essential to play through it to keep my characters current?

Cheers for any responses in advance :w_cool:

Honestly, I'd hold out for a little while. I ran my Jedi Knight through and never got my LI back in game. The story wasn't engaging enough to make the loss worth it in my book. That being said, I did have fun with it, but I feel that a lot of the writing was weak and had some giant plot holes. Obviously, I'm a story player so that may bother me more than it does you. My recommendation would be to run an alt through first and then decide if your mains should go through it.

i have done it on both sides on both of my mains and it was good but I am not that tied to companions. Sure they are nice but that much that I would miss part of the game since to me they are just like an NPC.

I do romance them from time to time but again I am not going to miss part of the game for companions.

To me the story is great on both sides.

Edited by casirabit

If you want to be an evil bastard that's easily distracted by Dark Side icons on the dialogue wheel, then yeah, KotFE especially, and KotET to some extent as well, isn't going to have the most coherent story Really, most people complain that the story is illogical for a non-Force user, but I'd argue that it's more that it's just illogical for a "Dark" character, more than anything else. Although you can kill off nearly every companion you meet, so some consolation there, maybe?

As to companions not returning, I think it's kind of fun to see them being worked back into everyone's story, though I admit that my main still hasn't gotten his romance back, and that's definitely frustrating. Still, it's not like the "classic" companions were particularly relevant after the third chapter of the class stories anyway...losing story access to them is probably not as relevant as it feels like it should be.

Personally I don't find the latest expansion story worth playing through more than twice max (one for LS options, one for DS options). Your choices don't actually matter, you end up at the same conclusion point regardless, but you do get to see some different dialog for 'nice' and 'naughty' actions so I guess that helps. Honestly though, you can also just watch the chapter cutscenes on YouTube and save yourself the effort.

Now, if you like having particular companions on all your toons, and that companion is obtainable through running at least some of the expansion chapters, then go for it. I admit, Blizz is adorable and it's amusing to have him on non-BH toons.

The upcoming new story content and daily area may be gated behind completion of KOTFE and KOTET. We don't know for sure yet but something to keep in mind. I run my main through everything, so at least I know I'm always current with her.

There's also a terminal you gain access to after KOTFE chap 9 that will allow you to get your companions back if you'd rather not wait for them to return through the story (which for some could be a very long time.)

I ran it through all the way once on my main and that was more than enough. For me, none of KOTFE/ET felt like Star Wars or SWTOR (except for the presence of lightsabers and the Force) and it felt like it should have been an entirely different game/plot. There's so many things I don't enjoy about KOTFE/ET in many respects: boring story with no real villain, the inability to group for main story quests/Chapters, loss of Companions/Companion functionality, loss of class identity, etc. that I'd roll back to pre-KOTFE, if I could... at least then my favorite characters wouldn't have been written out of the story. ...and I wouldn't keep getting blasted with that garish DvL spam all the time. :p

Personally, I'm happy just playing old content until they release their next content patch - sorry, I mean expansion - in hopes that they'll decide to steer the game back towards the original SWTOR universe that got me hooked on the game in the first place with its Class stories, missions, explorable planets, Flashpoints, Companion backstories and interactions, etc.

Edited by Edyn

My opinion is that you need to run it through, at least once, with a force sensitive character. A dark character can definitely work, especially considering the ending. The Warrior or Inquisitor will both be great for the role, though the Warrior's story probably makes the most sense. Also, most of the Warrior's companions return/are returning, so there's that.

The challenge for Dark is with Kotfe. Many choices are too pragmatic for a Dark Sith and the bajillion alliance recruit alerts that come along require you actually *being helpful to Republic aligned people and /gasp aliens* which my Dark Warrior abhorred. However, the good news is that now you can skip them (unless you're just itching to get Broonmark or Xalek, for some reason) and go straight to Kotet where the story really picks up. Kotet didn't introduce any more of the alerts, they sort of realized people hated those, and stuck to telling the core story. The choices you felt robbed of in Kotfe are given to you in Kotet and it ended perfect for me :)

So, tldr opinion;

Dark warrior is a great choice

get through Kotfe as best you can

skip alliance alerts

enjoy kotet

experience the ending so you have a good idea of where the galaxy stands and who the major players are now

go back and do the alerts if you get bored or something or are a completionist.

I have only taken instant 60s or rushed DvL characters through KotFE/ET and haven't regretted not taking my older characters through for a minute. The story just doesn't flow well from the original ones, it's like a square peg in a round hole. And it's not just the plot that feels disjointed, but the way the story is told, the way companions are handled, the art style. Everything. They were experimenting with a lot of changes all at once, and I'm not fond of the end results, though some people love the changes! Too each their own. For instance, I find the alliance recruitments to be more fun than KotET despite the horrid half-voiced "KotOR" style. That said, I do think it's worth taking a new character through the expansions and treat it as a sequel rather than as a continuation.

Thanks for the input guys. I consider my mains too precious to take any risks as the last poster said I'll take an alt through and not really consider it a continuation. In my head canon my Sith are still running around basically at the end of Act III in the class stories! I'll take an alt through the story and see what I make of it. But this whole Outlander/Alliance thing is kind of gamebreaking :confused:

Just to say I finished Story mode of both KotFE/KotET, and I have to say...wow...just wow. I'm so glad I didn't take my mains through that mess.

There was some imagination there in the story and some funny decisions and lines. But the Outlander, the Alliance, Republic/Empire collaboration. becoming the ruler of freaking everything...

Not for my mains. They would never fit the Outlander's persona or story. They also wouldn't be fighting cheerfully alongside the Republic, their age old enemies.

I'll be keeping them in 'Classic SWTOR' thank you very much.

I regret taking every one of my old characters that I put through KOTFE. It just didn't fit the RP's I had. I ended up mostly playing the ones that I didn't run into KOTFE, or new characters.

If you are not a RP-er, it won't matter.

If you weren't story driven into the SWTOR story, it won't matter if you do.

If you did RP, and you loved the SWTOR story - stay out out out out!

This is ultimately a decision for you.

I would recommend playing up a new character instead of putting the old ones through.

It is a completely different form of storytelling that no longer centers on your player character. There are lots of scenes that your player character doesn't actually "see" occur. This can be very disorienting as you don't know what your character actually knows, and doesn't know., Prior content was player character focused, so you had a separation of knowledge, your character interactions controlled the player's knowledge of the universe. In KOTFE, the play is presented knowledge that your character isn't, and there is nothing that distinguishes it except your character acting freakin' clueless about it later.

You have to approach it as not an expansion to SWTOR to enjoy; if you loved the old SWTOR, and expect an expansion, you'll be disappointed.

A major disappointment, is whether you run a male or female character, the dialogue with new characters introduced in the story line remains the same. In old SWTOR, your character was treated as male or female. KOFTE is a storyline where everyone introduced is a gender-less robot.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

Have to say that as I was playing it just really felt like the Outlander was supposed to be a Jedi Knight, probably male, probably human. Following on from the KotOR series. Except this was nowhere nowhere nowhere near the same quality as those.

It didn't seem suited to non-force users or dark siders. But then even the Jedi Knight is supposed to SERVE the Republic, not create his own dynasty! It was very lore breaking, and not in any good way.

I like my Star Wars to be Star Wars, Jedi & Sith, light & dark. Mandalorians, Purebloods, Smugglers, Troopers etc. Each with their own perspective/beliefs which can't easily be forgotten or compromised in the blink of an eye!

I found the Alliance to be far too happy clappy. It seems heavily inspired by Disney and Star Wars Rebels. Star Wars storytelling at the lower end of the quality spectrum.

Those were probably my biggest gripes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.