High time for a new playable race

iFruit

A new class would also be good of you.

But yeah, just a new race would also do nicely.

Nautalan or Bothan or Devoronian or something.

Though you'd really buy me with playable Ugnaughts or Ewoks or Jawas. Or Kubaz

Edited by iFruit

Yoda Class :eek::D:p

Word is, they aren't allowed to do that. The species doesn't even have an "official" name, so it would look a little clumsy on the species selection panel: Human, Cyborg, ..., Mirialan, The Thing That Yoda Is That Nobody Knows What It Is Called. Maybe just call it Tttytnkwiic.

Devaronians: there are exactly *two* Devaronian models in the game, best described as Tyresius Lokai and Gault Rennow. (See the horns...) Notably, there aren't any female Devaronians anywhere in the game.

I have been wanting Bothans, Nautalon, Rodian and Devaronians (The old expanded universe design for the females, not the new crap style that is basically a human with red skin) for the longest time.

Sadly, I think they are all a bit too alien and or ugly for Bioware/EA to consider.

Why? At the end of the day, a race is simply a skin for your character and it offers no special abilities or even race specific story arcs.

Besides.. the games story arcs are tuned for actual understandable dialog, so even if they did a new race, it would speak Basic and that excludes many of the coveted SW universe races.

A new class would be a much more appropriate request in my view, but I honestly don't see them doing so. Adding a new class has a lot of resource ramifications as they would have to either cheese out and not offer a 1-50 story arc (like WoW did with Death Knights) or it would be a huge effort to build an entire new classes main story arc.

Edited by Andryah

Wookiee? (which could make the crossbows useful)

Actually, that'd be a very cool new class. You could have the two advanced classes where one yields crossbows and the other maybe vibroswords? Not sure what the class names would be for the Republic or Empire side, but that'd be pretty neat. I've actually liked a few of the vibroswords but never used them on any of my force sensetives because they look strange on a Jedi or Sith. But a class that's not force sensitive using them would make a whole lot more sense.

The only problem (as I saw someone mention) would be making a whole new story for both sides from 1-50 and BW doesn't seem interested in anything of the sort.

As for new races, I'd love to see Nautolian.

Top three I'd love to see:

1. Nautolan
  2. A "Near Human" option with a host of different skin colors and minor physical changes (e.g. options for pointed ears) so you could make any of the various Technicolor races - Zeltrons, Nagai, Arkanians, Pantorans, etc. - that would be so similar to the existing options that they wouldn't really be worth the full unlock price if added individually.
  3. Devaronian

Why? At the end of the day, a race is simply a skin for your character and it offers no special abilities or even race specific story arcs.

Sure, and it's high time for new character skins.

Theres a couple primary hurdles with a lot of new species-

1- they said a while back that species have be able to speak basic and not be "too weird" in terms of the story with the romances and stuff. (IE, Ithorians, gamoreans, and such romantically involved with Kira is funky) So they err on the side of "normal" looking races, or at least ones that are reasonably near human.

2- while there are many species in the game, they may not actually have any customization. For example, every Kel Dor or Nautalon NPC in the game is visually identical. There arent different "hair styles" for the head tentacles, and no variety of different masks and head styles for Kel-Dor. If they were playable, everyone would look identical. Species they add have to have enough visual options to actually use the character creator and design their looks I dont think the game even has a model for female Kel-Dor or Devoronian (whos female counterpart looks like a whole other species) for example.

So any races added who dont have an already existing roster of visual options would have to have various faces, hairstyles/head tail placements, eyes, markings, etc all specifically made. (which i assume means they wouldnt)

A new class would also be good of you.

If they stick to their previous schedule we will see one this summer.

Rules:

#1 MUST SPEAK BASIC - excludes wookiees, jawas, ewoks, etc

#2 MUST be human sized - again excludes wookiees, jawas, ewoks, and yoda species (which by the way I have a theory about), ugnaughts etc

#3 MUST have roughly human features - speech patterns and romantic encounters have to work within the confines of existing cut scene animations.

My guess is Nautolan since that has been asked for since before Togruta came out.

regarding a new class, never say never, but they have said never.

Edited by psandak

So any races added who dont have an already existing roster of visual options would have to have various faces, hairstyles/head tail placements, eyes, markings, etc all specifically made. (which i assume means they wouldnt)

That's specifically what they did do for the Cathar and Togruta races when they added those, so not sure why they wouldn't do the same for any new races as well.

That's specifically what they did do for the Cathar and Togruta races when they added those, so not sure why they wouldn't do the same for any new races as well.

Those races already had variable customizations in the game.. there are various togruta NPCs in the story lines who dont look like each other, Ashara isnt the same as other ones you encounter on planetary quests. Those models existed well before the race was unlocked. Same with Cathar, there were already a variety of Cathar appearances in the game, Cather NPCs have a variety of visuals to draw from. Even if the team added more appearances when those became available, there was obviously already a bank of options to pull from in the game evident by the stories and npcs. This is presumably not true of many races encountered in the game, because every one you encounter looks identical with almost no variety.

Thats not to say the team wouldnt take the time and resources to make new appearances for a new race.. but given how small it is now compared to years ago when other races were designed, and how much more they have to stretch out of the resources they have, Id assume they would have to lean on races/species that dont require making new appearances from the ground up.. heck they havnt even released new hairstyle/eyes/tattoos/skins/etc for the races that ALREADY exist in years. So, I wouldn't expect anything that cant be built out of what they already have.

I've always wanted the Voss race as being playable. We already have the Cartel Market Voss robes and the Mawvor beast companion. A playable Voss just seems the next natural step... although (admittedly) Gormak npc reactions in the game would have to be changed to immediate hostility... perhaps an auto-enrage upon agro.

I'd also like to see Phlogs and Gorax (from the Ewok TV movie/TV series lore) as a playable race.

Technically a body type 5 build for both species - tall and fat with broad shoulders and muscular arms. Would have a lumbering stride and a relatively loud echoing voice.

Appearance:

Phlog males look like bald and hairless trolls while Phlog females have horns, a completely furry body and beards.

"Gorax were usually over six meters tall. Some specimens were recorded that were up to 30 meters in height. Their bodies were covered in thick, matted fur, which was black, brown, or sometimes gray in color. Their hairless faces were dominated by protruding lower jaws and heavy brows. Inexplicably, some Gorax had hoof-like feet, while others had long toes, and either a long, narrow heel, or a backward pointing fourth toe."

Source notes:

Phlog - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Phlog

Gorax - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gorax/Legends

I've always wanted the Voss race as being playable. We already have the Cartel Market Voss robes and the Mawvor beast companion. A playable Voss just seems the next natural step... although (admittedly) Gormak npc reactions in the game would have to be changed to immediate hostility... perhaps an auto-enrage upon agro.

No Voss characters, sadly:

* Too tall.

* The standard character voices would need to be post-processed in order for them to sound like Voss voices sound. (Not automatically an obstacle, but given all the other levelling mission / species collision issues, it might be better to let this particular sleeping dog lie.)

* Almost every word of dialogue on and concerning Voss (the planet) would need to be rewritten if the player character could be Voss (the species). I recall being able to object when a Gormak calls you a "Voss" (because you aren't a Gormak), but a Voss PC wouldn't be able to say that. In lots of conversations, the Voss themselves are definite that the PC is an outsider, not a Voss, and thus shouldn't be allowed to take the trials, for example. And so on.

* Non-human proportions - they are taller than other species, but not "wider", and are thus tall and narrow.

etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.