Harbinger lagging more than usual. Please check the server

Icykill_

I get lag, I accept that. What I dont accept is when I run Ping Plotter to see where the problem is and I discover it's the Bioware servers themselves.

They are running 20-30ms higher than normal for me with 150ms spikes above that. When you already play with 180-220ms as normal, that extra 30ms makes it 270ms and spikes of 150ms take you over 400ms.

Even if you normally play with 50ms, a 30ms hike is a lot and 150ms spikes are bad.

I'm sure there will be people not having issues on other servers or maybe some even on Harbinger. Maybe it doesn't stand out as much with lower Ping, but it's a killer at higher Ping.

I haven't seen them run 30ms higher than normal for a while and I've traced it right back to the servers, so it's not my end or anywhere in between.

Someone at Bio go do a network check or even a restart if you find it's not stable.

I doubt they will look into it, as the numbers presented are pretty well within normal variations into and out of a busy server farm. Keep in mind, they don't own the server farm, they simply have some servers (probably don't own those either) within a very large 3rd party server farm in southern California.

Of course this definitely hurts players from Aus and NZ, as any fluctuations will be more apparent to them. It's just that I doubt the presented variations fall inside whatever service level agreement they have with the 3rd party server farm.

I live on the west coast and while I am only on Harbinger about 20-30 minutes a day.. I do on occasion see my normal ping (25-29ms) jump to over a hundred from time to time. But it is normally short spikes and not enough to hamper a more local connection. There have been a few times in the past, when ping has gone persistently well above 300ms for a period of time for me, but not often.

Edited by Andryah

I doubt they will look into it, as the numbers presented are pretty well within normal variations into and out of a busy server farm. Keep in mind, they don't own the server farm, they simply have some servers (probably don't own those either) within a very large 3rd party server farm in southern California.

Of course this definitely hurts players from Aus and NZ, as any fluctuations will be more apparent to them. It's just that I doubt the presented variations fall inside whatever service level agreement they have with the 3rd party server farm.

I live on the west coast and while I am only on Harbinger about 20-30 minutes a day.. I do on occasion see my normal ping (25-29ms) jump to over a hundred from time to time. But it is normally short spikes and not enough to hamper a more local connection. There have been a few times in the past, when ping has gone persistently well above 300ms for a period of time for me, but not often.

They do look into things if there's an issue as (well) *paying* customers are affected. Don't be too negative. There was a major problem not long ago so something else may need adjusting.

I'm in Australia and I noticed it was bad last night and I did nothing but gtn stuff. It was that noticeable.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I jumped over to Begeren to check and it was happening there too. I wasn't able to pvp on Harb, so I stayed on Begeren and lvl'd a new toon to 30, lol.. took no time at all.. I was lvl 17 when I left Korriban

They do look into things if there's an issue as (well) *paying* customers are affected. Don't be too negative. There was a major problem not long ago so something else may need adjusting.

I think you completely missed my point.

Please go back and re-read what I stated, absent bias as to negative or positive. I was making some very pragmatic points, particularly about the numbers presented by the OP being within normal variations across the internet.

I'm not justifying ignoring it, I am pointing out that the numbers sited by the OP do NOT equal the majority of the latency from AU. Persistent multi-hundred ms spiking would definitely need to be investigated for sure. But that is not what has been presented. What was presented was 20-30ms more latency, with occasional spiking of +150, while the hop time between server and AU is notably more then that. And since I know that the OP uses pingplotter, and is proficient with it, I take her data at face value as accurate.

Edited by Andryah

Lag is still there tonight on Harbinger so I tried Bastion too and it's just as bad. When one of the lowest populated servers is having those issues you know it's not congestion or server load.

So.. you are seeing this on multiple west coast servers, so it's not server specific. That would indicate that it is some sort of congestion at the server farm... which frankly since Bioware does not own the farm.... and unless it is notably worse then your recorded numbers on plingplotter, I'm not sure exactly what the studio can do in this case, unless it is congestion only with Bioware servers, in which case server restarts might address it. [This is where it would be nice to know that the service level agreements are between Bioware and the server farm, but that's unlikely to be disclosed.]

If you were getting multiple hundreds of ms delays, or disconnects due to latency timeouts, consistently at the destination, it would clearly be actionable.

I was on Harbinger twice yesterday, for about 15-20 minutes each and I recorded latency of ~ 35ms, which is about 10ms higher then normal for me, but I did not see any spiking (I ran pingplotter both times just to see if I could see spiking like you described). That's a random sampling, so it does not validate or invalidate the issues you are seeing... but it is a pair of data points.

My suggestion at this point is to post your concerns and pingplots supporting them over on the EA support page for SWTOR. That seems to be the most effective method concerning latency issues.

Edited by Andryah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.