Please bring back the optional RNG item and gearing system.

Edyn

We had an optional end game RNG item acquisition and gearing system prior to 5.0, but very few chose to utilize it. We had the option of assigning raid drops to random players without any thought or consideration into which player is getting what item and why. To compare the old system to Galactic Command, we also had the option of taking our Data Crystals to the vendors, closing our eyes and blindly purchasing items. After we opened our eyes and saw that we accidentally purchased something we could use, we could feel the exciting The Thrill of the Hunt™ before Galactic Command was even conceived. After the feeling passed, we could then sell a couple of the unwanted items back to the vendor and then destroy one or two more to ensure that we have a negligible amount of Data Crystals to put towards our next blind buying spree.

Why didn’t anyone choose to take advantage of this optional RNG system prior to Galactic Command? Because we're not idiots. Unfortunately, BW took the option of not being an idiot away with GC by removing the players' ability to prioritize the order in which they acquire items and gear they want. Then, they replaced it with watered down grab bags full of garbage that I’d never even consider acquiring in the first place. They said it's exciting and thrilling... like I'm an idiot and can't determine on my own what I find exciting and thrilling. I really don't know what's worse, Galactic Command itself or the condescension towards the players that came with the selling of it.

I really have to ask, "How in the galaxy did BW expect GC to be a huge success when the players always had the option to RNG-acquire gear and items prior to GC, but chose not to?" Logically, most players chose to buy what they wanted in the past and they would continue to do so if it were an option today. BW took that power of choice away and left the players with the RNG alternative that they've always had access to, but never chose to use in the past, as their only option.

While it’s sweet that BW is slowly working their way back to where we used to be with their announcements today, I personally don’t think I can ever fully accept Galactic Command until I can enjoy it as a supplement to a legitimate item acquisition and gearing system. A system created developers who've put their faith in me as a player that I’m intelligent enough to make my own decisions on what gear and items I want for my characters and when... and whether or not I find the experience exciting and thrilling.

I think the posts today show that after 5.2 it will be a supplemental. Operations will drop just as they did with 4.0 (every boss having a set drop, and 2 on the last boss, so actually an upgrade) and pvp will continue to allow you to purchase gear with wz commendat...cough components (it is not at the level 4.0 is, so they still need to buff component gains but at least it is moving in the right direction). It won't have the ez-pz of EV/KP highlighted HMs, but they never should have had that in the first place anyway.

Edit: rereading your post I see you are concerned about not being able to buy gear with crystals as well. What I will say about that is honestly, the crystal gear was really not good for most things, and in fact having it caused problems with people thinking they had good gear when they really didn't. None of it was optimized, and was crazy high endurance (tanks could use it, but that's it). Right now, and after 5.2, you'll be able to at least take mods/enhahcements out of the gear that drops, and if it is purple or blue, you'll still be in better shape than if you bought the highest tier of crystal gear equivalent anyway (even without the armorings tbh).

Edited by LordTurin

I geared and got items primarily via Data Crystals, as I only casually raided SM and a just HM Xeno (I always passed on all raid loot for the dedicated raiders), I always kept 110% accuracy and just didn't worry about further optimization - I'm too casual and mostly solo or do small group stuff. I did like being able to decide what gear I bought first and I most certainly wouldn't have bought 4 leggings in a row, which is the sort of nonsense I'm seeing out of these crates. I did like buying other things with the crystals, such as Rank 6 Companion gifts and things on the other various vendors (decor, etc.) and now those gifts are rare (for me) and there's no decor at all in the crates that I'm aware of. I'm seeing way too much crap I don't want and this is replacing a system where I could see everything I wanted and prioritize the gear and items I want. There's no thrill for me when I get something I want, it's more like "ugh, finally" rather than, "Yeah! Awesome!"

My main point, really, is that I've lost the choice and control of the items I obtain. That power should never have been taken away from the players and can't wrap my head around the fact that the decision-makers over there at BW all said that this is the right thing to do for their customers.

Edited by Edyn

I geared and got items primarily via Data Crystals, as I only casually raided SM and a just HM Xeno (I always passed on all raid loot for the dedicated raiders), I always kept 110% accuracy and just didn't worry about further optimization - I'm too casual and mostly solo or do small group stuff. I did like being able to decide what gear I bought first and I most certainly wouldn't have bought 4 leggings in a row, which is the sort of nonsense I'm seeing out of these crates. I did like buying other things with the crystals, such as Rank 6 Companion gifts and things on the other various vendors (decor, etc.) and now those gifts are rare (for me) and there's no decor at all in the crates that I'm aware of. I'm seeing way too much crap I don't want and this is replacing a system where I could see everything I wanted and prioritize the gear and items I want. There's no thrill for me when I get something I want, it's more like "ugh, finally" rather than, "Yeah! Awesome!"

My main point, really, is that I've lost the choice and control of the items I obtain. That power should never have been taken away from the players and can't wrap my head around the fact that the decision-makers over there at BW all said that this is the right thing to do for their customers.

Well now you can get stuff via the GC crate system that is better gear than the old system via crystals.

Well now you can get stuff via the GC crate system that is better gear than the old system via crystals.

I'm not talking about the chance of getting top tier gear out of the crates, as it's irrelevant to me since I always had the choice to raid for the best gear prior to GC... so if I really wanted that gear, I could have just raided more with the guild. I chose not to because I enjoyed just doing story mode raids that didn't require the best gear.

What I'm talking about is the ability to prioritize what items (not just gear) I wanted to buy with the end game currency I earned being taken away and replaced with a complete crap shoot. For example, if I wanted to use my Data Crystals to buy a few Rank 6 Weapon Companion gifts to get a specific Companion leveled to 50, I could choose to do so with the end game currency. Now, instead of buying a few Rank 6 gifts with the new replacement to end game currency (CXP/Command Crates) I'm automatically given a pair of leggings that I've already received three times over, an empty shell of a bracer, some Jawa Scrap and a crafting schematic I can't use or sell.

My power of choice has been taken away and replaced by a bag of random items, most of which I don't even want. Also, I really don't understand why they just didn't supplement the old system with GC so that it would work more like something cute to do while players are working on their own clear plans to achieve their goals, whether it be gear, leveling Companions, buying decor, obtaining crafting mats, etc.

Edited by Edyn

Problem: you don't care about getting better gear

Solution: craft 228 gear be done with it, enjoy the game

Your solution ignores the entire point of the post which is Edyn misses the reliability of buying specific rank 6 companion gifts with crystals earned while playing.

This!

(Or just use whatever comes out of the cxp crates)

Yup. The thing is the data crystal gear was only good for getting your tier 1 at the beginning of the patch before grabbing your gear via ops with the bonus sets or grinding pvp for it WZ gear.

Now the data crystal are replaced by galactic command for the casual players. You can still do SM ops in it because of the bolster for operations and you can get actually set gear if your lucky enough. Which is much better then what you were getting with data crystals.

PvE'ers as of 5.2 will now have operation bosses drop 1 token gear 100% of the time like 4.0 with 2 drops on the last boss.

PvP'ers can grab gear with WZ's with UC's. Though the grind is longer then it was in 4.0 but not as bad as it was in 3.0 where it took forever to get a base set of pvp gear.

With 5.2 everyone is going to be pretty happy where gearing is going to be as consistent as it was in 4.0 (though no priority ops so people cant get tier 4 gear in HM EV/KP thank god).

Overall gearing is, Casual = GC PvE = Ops PvP WZ's/GSF or a mix of them.

Your solution ignores the entire point of the post which is Edyn misses the reliability of buying specific rank 6 companion gifts with crystals earned while playing.

Alliance crates drop them often. Also its cheaper just to buy the purple rank 5's 4 of those cost 40k credits and give as much influence as 1 rank 6 gift. Credits are wicked easy to get now with heroics on top of the alliance crates which u can sell the unwanted contents making about 7-13k credits a crate with a companion gift to use (25k if u get a speeder drop and sell it to a vendor). So funny when you look at it, its easier to gain influence now with companions then it was beforehand with tthe gifts being cheap on the fleet.

Ya, before GC a player could choose what gear they wanted and when. I hate how GC has taken that choice away. If we wanted gloves, we would earn enough currency to buy them. Now, we can go a dozen ranks or more without getting an upgrade. And if you are not fortunate to have a guild to run ops with, you miss out on gear to do master mode. Sure you can do PVP. But what some people need to realize is that we are doing pvp so we can get gear to pve....how backwards is that?

I cant stand pvp, and I dont have the time anymore to run ops. And given how HM flashpoints are wipe fests and people dont seem to know wth they are doing, so I would not want to do an op if my luck is that bad.

Just think unassembleds should drop from command crates as well

This is correct. I'm talking about BW taking the decision making power away from the players in regards to both gear and items. I used Rank 6 Companion Gifts as an example of one of the things besides gear that used to be available for purchase with Data Crystals.

I'm not sure why people are stuck specifically on gear, as not all players are trying to obtain gear. I'm not, as I could experience all of the content released with 5.0 (Chapters, Uprisings, etc.) without acquiring a single piece of new crafted gear or gear out of a Command Crate. I imagine it might be a different story for me if I cared about running that same content and old raid content on higher difficulty modes, or maybe if I PvP'd and needed the gear just to compete against those who happened to have better luck than me.

In the past, if I decided to do content to work on getting a Companion up to 50, I could choose to do so by just saving my credits and using the Data Crystals I'd earned to purchase the specific Gifts I wanted. That system has been replaced by a system where I do the same content, but instead of obtaining a currency, I instead roll the dice to see if I not only get a Companion Gift, but a Rank 6 Companion Gift... that also happens to by the type of Companion Gift I want. If I wanted to obtain Companion Gifts in this idiotic way before GC, I could have just ran around Odessen with my eyes shut and blindly purchase items from the Data Crystal vendors until I accidentally bought what I wanted. This is why I believe I would enjoy GC a lot more if it were supplementary to the old system, not a full replacement.

Edited by Edyn

This is correct. I'm talking about BW taking the decision making power away from the players in regards to both gear and items. I used Rank 6 Companion Gifts as an example of one of the things besides gear that used to be available for purchase with Data Crystals.

I'm not sure why people are stuck specifically on gear, as not all players are trying to obtain gear. I'm not, as I could experience all of the content released with 5.0 (Chapters, Uprisings, etc.) without acquiring a single piece of new crafted gear or gear out of a Command Crate. I imagine it might be a different story for me if I cared about running that same content and old raid content on higher difficulty modes, or maybe if I PvP'd and needed the gear just to compete against those who happened to have better luck than me.

In the past, if I decided to do content to work on getting a Companion up to 50, I could choose to do so by just saving my credits and using the Data Crystals I'd earned to purchase the specific Gifts I wanted. That system has been replaced by a system where I do the same content, but instead of obtaining a currency, I instead roll the dice to see if I not only get a Companion Gift, but a Rank 6 Companion Gift... that also happens to by the type of Companion Gift I want. If I wanted to obtain Companion Gifts in this idiotic way before GC, I could have just ran around Odessen with my eyes shut and blindly purchase items from the Data Crystal vendors until I accidentally bought what I wanted. This is why I believe I would enjoy GC a lot more if it were supplementary to the old system, not a full replacement.

Just buy the purple companion gifts, 4 of the purples give more influence then 1 grade 6. And the price difference is 40k for 4 purples, 250k for 1 grade 6. Also alliance crates (Not command crates) regular drop them. And its much cheaper for companion gifts then it was in 4.0 with its market of purples costing about 20k-50k a piece.

Just buy the purple companion gifts, 4 of the purples give more influence then 1 grade 6. And the price difference is 40k for 4 purples, 250k for 1 grade 6. Also alliance crates (Not command crates) regular drop them. And its much cheaper for companion gifts then it was in 4.0 with its market of purples costing about 20k-50k a piece.

Yep - I buy all my Gifts on Fleet now as you mentioned and have been so since 5.0 and I ignore the Odessen Companion Gift vendor altogether. The Gifts themselves really aren't the point so much as the fact that I used to be able to buy the best ones (and other items from the Data Crystal vendors) of my choosing and then put my credits towards things I couldn't buy with Data Crystals. Now, I have to use credits for Gifts and other items I used to buy with Data Crystals and with GC, I mostly just receive more CXP with each Crate as they yield so many random items I don't want.

Edited by Edyn

Well as a raider I am focused on getting set bonuses and optimised gear. That's fun for me.

But if I think about your casual style of gearing (and I'm already impressed that you take the accuracy thing into account), I have to wonder about thing. So perhaps you could explain something for me from your point of view.

Here's the thing. What you would want in gearing is now done via crafting. Of course that's a very different set up and so I would like to ask you why crafting isn't working for you as a means of casual gearing? It's not to fight your on this topic, but I really am interested in your reasons.

Well as a raider I am focused on getting set bonuses and optimised gear. That's fun for me.

But if I think about your casual style of gearing (and I'm already impressed that you take the accuracy thing into account), I have to wonder about thing. So perhaps you could explain something for me from your point of view.

Here's the thing. What you would want in gearing is now done via crafting. Of course that's a very different set up and so I would like to ask you why crafting isn't working for you as a means of casual gearing? It's not to fight your on this topic, but I really am interested in your reasons.

To answer your question, if I'm interested in running the Ops boss that's to be released in April and it turns out the mishmash of gear I currently have via GC crates is insufficient, obtaining crafted pieces would definitely be the most viable route; however, I lament the fact that I now have to pay a crafter (direct, via GTN, etc.) credits for this gear, when before, I could have saved my credits for something else I wanted and just used Data Crystals for the gear. I understand that the Data Crystal gear wasn't optimized by any means, but as long as I maintained 110% accuracy, it was more enough for me pull my weight in story mode Ops.

If I PvP'd , did HM or NiM Ops, or if actual new content, such as a new Flashpoint, Op or explorable planet was released with 5.0 in December that actually required a level 70 character with serious gear to fully complete, I would be absolutely be talking to a crafter to obtain the gear I want. Unfortunately, this just isn't the case - there's no current content that is motivating me strive to obtain any gear that might be better than the garbage I happen to get out of Command Crates.

With no new and more difficult content released with 5.0 (I don't consider increased difficulty modes new content vs normal modes) my focus has shifted away from old SM Ops and towards working on other things such as leveling Companions, fashion gear for alts, decor, etc. Prior to 5.0, if I didn't care about gear at a certain point in time, I could choose to use my Data Crystals to purchase other things that I want off the vendors, whether it be a crafting mat, Companion Gift, decor, etc., and when I was ready to focus on gear again, I could choose to use my Data Crystals to purchase gear again. This is all while I was saving my credits for other things I wanted that can't be obtained via Data Crystals.

Now with GC, I just open crate after crate of reputation items, empty bracer shells, Jawa Scrap, schematics I can't use, and random gear - often times the same piece of gear over and over, while if I want to obtain the things I actually want that I used to purchase with Data Crystals, I now have to fork over credits instead in order to obtain them.

All this because GC took the power of choice away from the player and replaced it with the whim of chance, and when lady luck is not on my side, I have to make up the difference with credits: Crafter for gear instead of direct Data Crystal purchase, and Fleet Companion Gift purchases with credits rather than with Data Crystals at the Odessen Companion Gift Vendor.

Edited by Edyn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.