Bioware Please Merge Servers

Totemdancer

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that will not work by using a switch on RP as people can still flip to the RP instances and grief them. That doesn't happen with pvp instances but can and probably will happen with RP instances as for some reason there are people that think it is fun to mess with Roleplayers so that is not going to work like it does for pvp instances.

For RP server BW needs to hire actual Game Masters, Dungeon Masters, that can control the world around actively RP engaged players, and boot metagamers and OOC intruders and trolls. RP server would never allow such, and trolls are everywhere (including PvP instances). They also need to work on chat bubbles. They did not do it in game's peak time, they wont do it now. Adding extra instances will not help RP but it will help with PvE. Swtor never had a RP server, only RP players thinking its a RP server because thats how server was called on server list.

Merging servers takes time, takes effort and investment. They can even make it being able to create personal phase for everything, that way lone solo players who dislike populated servers can still play solo, while at same time co-op players get a group finder that actually pops. It is 2017 it can be done, but only if BW hires people who work, and who know to their job. The reason they cannot do it because the team they have don't know to do it right without making players rage quit.

Edited by BoySaber

For RP server BW needs to hire actual Game Masters, Dungeon Masters, that can control the world around actively RP engaged players, and boot metagamers and OOC intruders and trolls. RP server would never allow such, and trolls are everywhere (including PvP instances). They also need to work on chat bubbles. They did not do it in game's peak time, they wont do it now. Adding extra instances will not help RP but it will help with PvE. Swtor never had a RP server, only RP players thinking its a RP server because thats how server was called on server list.

One, Bioware will NEVER bring in GM's, DM's, or any other type of 'RP Police', considering just how much RP goes on across the entire galaxy, not just in the cantinas. That would cost money.

Two, not many will want that kind of monitoring of their RP at anyrate. Yes, I know one might be thinking of the ERP community in this case, but truthfully, it would have too much of a 'Big Brother' feel.

And three, RP players think that servers like Ebon Hawk are RP servers because, well.... THEY ARE RP SERVERS. They've been exactly those since the game was launched.

• 4 weeks later...

Merging servers takes time, takes effort and investment. They can even make it being able to create personal phase for everything, that way lone solo players who dislike populated servers can still play solo, while at same time co-op players get a group finder that actually pops. It is 2017 it can be done, but only if BW hires people who work, and who know to their job. The reason they cannot do it because the team they have don't know to do it right without making players rage quit.

When I want to play tabletop with a live GM... I go and play tabletop with a live GM. When I want to play TOR, I play TOR. As an avid roleplayer on the Ebon Hawk (which has been designated an RP server since the game started), I'm absolutely fine with EAWare not wasting a bunch of the limited funding for this game on paying people to dictate every player's RP on the entire server, thank you! Not only would that be a nigh impossible job, but all it would do is piss players off and make them quit.

Edited by AscendingSky

Yes please, give us back an APAC server 😉

I 'm totally against an APAC server and other people i know to, as people would leave because their is not enough APAC players to have their own server to play on a 24 hour . What is wrong with the Posters server list is that he/ she does not get as some other people here dont. Is that if anything it would have to Mega servers that encompass All East and West or have All West and APAC together like Harbinger.

Facts are fact, that people have been swarming to the Harbinger JC and another East Coast server because people want 24 hour a day action. And if people don't have that action like Harbinger has that encompasses West and APAC players so that people will be on 24 hours a day to play with, then this Will shut down periond.

Time zones would have to encompass more parts of the world, not the way that poster has it. The People spoke about how a Server should be when People see and go to Harbinger, because they can play whenever they want. No stress about a Timezone if they are in the right guilds to. Hell, so people don't even need a Guild being on Harbinger.

The People spoke on the server issue, just look at Harbinger.

Edited by MandFlurry

I just wrote a scathing post to Keith in his road map thread because he is just ignoring major issues and only posting "fluff" to try and distract us.

Guys don't fall for Bios sleight of hand tricks "again", about new things while the ignore important issues.

My post to him might be a bit full on for some of you and I'm sure some will disagree. But know that it's from the heart because I want what's best for the game and they just have their heads in the sand.

I'm going to post this in a few threads that are going on these important topics to try and rally people who want the issues in those thread addressed. I am not trying to spam, but not everyone reads topics that they don't care about and I didn't want to start another thread.

Anyway, here is Keith's latest post and my reply.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=921404&page=38

He can't answer the question "(when) will there be merges?" off-the-cuff - there's too much fear in too many people's hearts about merges for them to mention them without providing tons of details ("here's how we're handling names, legacies with tons of characters, guild ships, etc"). I'm waiting for the roadmap. If there's no mention of merges in the roadmap then I guess we will have our answer. I don't see how they can possibly not do something but BW has been making a lot of mistakes lately and not just with this game.

He can't answer the question "(when) will there be merges?" off-the-cuff - there's too much fear in too many people's hearts about merges for them to mention them without providing tons of details ("here's how we're handling names, legacies with tons of characters, guild ships, etc"). I'm waiting for the roadmap. If there's no mention of merges in the roadmap then I guess we will have our answer. I don't see how they can possibly not do something but BW has been making a lot of mistakes lately and not just with this game.

And those are the Other reasons why we haven't had server Mega-merger or Mega-mergers yet along with the old servers we have now, some stuff on the old servers were upgraded in truth, but i don't think they could handle this or are made to either.

The Names of our Characters and Legacies and All of our or money and Catrel Market stuff could get totally desroyed as well.

Umm I didn't ask about merges lol.. I said population issues.. plus we've been discusssing it since November when they acknowledge it was a concern, it's not like it's something new

I 'm totally against an APAC server and other people i know to, as people would leave because their is not enough APAC players to have their own server to play on a 24 hour . What is wrong with the Posters server list is that he/ she does not get as some other people here dont. Is that if anything it would have to Mega servers that encompass All East and West or have All West and APAC together like Harbinger.

Facts are fact, that people have been swarming to the Harbinger JC and another East Coast server because people want 24 hour a day action. And if people don't have that action like Harbinger has that encompasses West and APAC players so that people will be on 24 hours a day to play with, then this Will shut down periond.

Time zones would have to encompass more parts of the world, not the way that poster has it. The People spoke about how a Server should be when People see and go to Harbinger, because they can play whenever they want. No stress about a Timezone if they are in the right guilds to. Hell, so people don't even need a Guild being on Harbinger.

The People spoke on the server issue, just look at Harbinger.

LoL.. you do know we used to have them?

We lost 80% of APAC players when they merged us with the US. All we wanted was one server instead of three. If they'd combined them, we would have had more than triple the population Harbinger currently does.

I know it's unrealistic to get one back.. I'm not a total moron.. it was a just a bit of wishful thinking and reminiscing.. no need to get all serious

Didn't mean to be serious badly with you, although i was serious, and am serious about how the devs take our opinions right or wrong.

Of course i, remember. I also remember we had at least 50 or more servers just @ launch or just after, but some idiots wouldn't wait and left what was an awesome game in my view, gamers need to grow up.

Back to Topic. Yeah, if those idiots on those servers would've waited just a couple more weeks or even 3, then we would have that much more of a player base. Some gamers think they are owed everything.

SWG also had Japanese servers, the Katana the Harla, and 1 other til' NGE ruined everything.

I would love to see an APAC server if EA would give Bioware Austin some help and the Servers then we would have that bigger player base.

Edited by MandFlurry

NO on Merge, YES on FREE TRANSFERS.

I would easily support this as well. Make it free every 30-days, or always...just give players on a dead server an 'out' that doesn't cost them money, and you (Bioware) customers.

Is that if anything it would have to Mega servers that encompass All East and West or have All West and APAC together like Harbinger.

Why would all East Coast servers have to be merged? Seems like a false choice.

Facts are fact, that people have been swarming to the Harbinger JC and another East Coast server because people want 24 hour a day action.

To my knowledge Jedi Cov's activity has gone down and stayed down since 5.0, heard nothing and saw nothing about a swarm heading to JC.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

Just a hunch but I highly doubt server merges will be in the roadmap. The road map seems too small ball and in the past the devs seem to avoid the issue like the plague.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

Please do not subject the rest of your customer base to a forced merge and forced name changes.

NO on Merge, YES on FREE TRANSFERS.

Free transfers is nothing. It's like saying no new content but yes to customizing Theron. How would you like such an insulting solution? No on fixing bugs, but yes to a free astromech droid pet.

Free transfers is not going to fix that this is a social game and there's not enough people to do social activities with servers split as they currently are.

If they could at least merge ques for all servers.i like war zones but bastion is dead and I've yet to see one since returning a month ago.

Cross-server queues would fix most of the problems created by 'dead' servers, and in particular the problems of those who continue demanding forced server merges. Given EAWare's responses (and at times lack thereof) on the subject when it was brought up in the past, though, I suspect there's either something in the architecture of the hardware or the code of the engine that is preventing them from implementing this feature. I heard a rumor they tried it once on the PTS but it ended up sending toons to the wrong servers after a group activity ended, though I don't know if that's true or not.

Cross-server queues would fix most of the problems created by 'dead' servers, and in particular the problems of those who continue demanding forced server merges. Given EAWare's responses (and at times lack thereof) on the subject when it was brought up in the past, though, I suspect there's either something in the architecture of the hardware or the code of the engine that is preventing them from implementing this feature. I heard a rumor they tried it once on the PTS but it ended up sending toons to the wrong servers after a group activity ended, though I don't know if that's true or not.

X-server for ranked pvp was originally intended to be in the game. It was advertised in dev blogs and even in the game's UI shortly after release. But later that year it was decided that we would get mega servers instead because x-server was too hard to implement. Subsequently we got merges. Since then we've been told on a couple occasions that something "better than x-server" was being worked on but that turned out to be fake news. But BW has been consistent on several occasions: "x-server is too hard to do". Merges are the only option for this game (for those wanting SWTOR to be multiplayer).

X-server for ranked pvp was originally intended to be in the game. It was advertised in dev blogs and even in the game's UI shortly after release. But later that year it was decided that we would get mega servers instead because x-server was too hard to implement. Subsequently we got merges. Since then we've been told on a couple occasions that something "better than x-server" was being worked on but that turned out to be fake news. But BW has been consistent on several occasions: "x-server is too hard to do". Merges are the only option for this game (for those wanting SWTOR to be multiplayer).

Ebon Hawk is doing just fine and doesn't need to merge into anything. :) Also, forced merges that make people lose their guild banks/strongholds/flagships as well as their character names and guild names will likely make far more people quit. I know I would.

Edited by AscendingSky

To my knowledge Jedi Cov's activity has gone down and stayed down since 5.0, heard nothing and saw nothing about a swarm heading to JC.

70s are actually pretty good on JC. I usually get insta (or within 2 or 3 minutes) up until 3am, and I don't recognize the same people in every wz.

Ranked pops most nights when someone on Imp Fleet starts organizing it.

Midbies and Lowbies does seem to be an issue for us though. So don't come here if you want to play that.

Ebon Hawk is doing just fine and doesn't need to merge into anything. :) Also, forced merges that make people lose their guild banks/strongholds/flagships as well as their character names and guild names will likely make far more people quit. I know I would.

It would but where are you getting your assumptions that is the plan? When the last merges happened there were none of those things (other than banks which were not a big deal to handle manually but if you didn't you could get cs to restore them eventually). Which games destroy character assets during forced merges? What exactly makes you assume this one would? As for character names I currently have names stuck on dead servers (ie I've effectively "lost" them). Do you think that people being forced to transfer, with no chance of "keeping" their favorite and/or most used names, isn't resulting in people quitting? For the record, in the couple occasions transfers and merges were mentioned in the last six months, BW -did- say they are working on (or planning to work on) improving systems to handle things like server transfers and guilds.

When I play, I play on Ebon Hawk: I don't think that server's fine at all, personally, even though it's more than probably the second most populated server in NA.

It would but where are you getting your assumptions that is the plan? When the last merges happened there were none of those things (other than banks which were not a big deal to handle manually but if you didn't you could get cs to restore them eventually). Which games destroy character assets during forced merges? What exactly makes you assume this one would? As for character names I currently have names stuck on dead servers (ie I've effectively "lost" them). Do you think that people being forced to transfer, with no chance of "keeping" their favorite and/or most used names, isn't resulting in people quitting? For the record, in the couple occasions transfers and merges were mentioned in the last six months, BW -did- say they are working on (or planning to work on) improving systems to handle things like server transfers and guilds.

When I play, I play on Ebon Hawk: I don't think that server's fine at all, personally, even though it's more than probably the second most populated server in NA.

I play on Ebon Hawk and I think it is fine. I don't have any problems with doing group activities whether I play my healer or Dps.

For the record, in the couple occasions transfers and merges were mentioned in the last six months, BW -did- say they are working on (or planning to work on) improving systems to handle things like server transfers and guilds.

Source? A direct BW source, not a second hand, third party source.

As noted, even your vaunted second hand, third party source did not say that their unnamed BW source said that BW was "working on improving systems" or even "planning to work on improving systems" only that the unnamed BW source said that BW was aware of the population concerns, but there were many roadblocks standing in the way of server merges and that if they BW were going to merge servers, they wanted to ensure that no one had a "bad time".

Your vaunted second hand, third party source said that THEY HOPED BW was working on it, but they did not say that BW WAS working on resolving those roadblocks.