Moving to a new server. Which one should I go to???

keetrazor

I am interested in moving to a new server off of Bastion. Though I have called Bastion home for the past three years, it is so dead. I poked at Harbinger, but the community there is so damn toxic. Anyone know a friendly server with a large population? Bastion used to be colossal, but now we have an average 20 people on Vaiken.

My main is a 70 Immortal Jugg with 110k hp, and I'm mainly doing master fp's. I want to get back into GSF too. I love the group aspect of SWTOR, but Bastion just doesn't cut it anymore. What is a server with a friendly population and a healthy group finder pop for FP's?

My last question is: Will my legacy transfer with my character? I don't want to transfer my character and then lose my lvl 50 legacy. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! :D --Catherine Skirata

Your legacy will transfer but any decorated strongholds will not. You'll keep all of your decos but I'm pretty sure you will then have to reactivate and then redecorate your strongholds.

I've been on Shadowlands for a while now and like it. WZs pop fairly frequently but I cannot speak for ranked or GSF. I am in couple great guilds though so that may help as well.

Your legacy will transfer but any decorated strongholds will not. You'll keep all of your decos but I'm pretty sure you will then have to reactivate and then redecorate your strongholds.

I've been on Shadowlands for a while now and like it. WZs pop fairly frequently but I cannot speak for ranked or GSF. I am in couple great guilds though so that may help as well.

Seconded for Shadowlads. GSF pops pretty well, especially on bonus day (Haven't logged in today so don't make a liar out of me!) PvP, Flashpoints and Uprisings also pop well, of course better on bonus day. Chat is childish but not really offensive, it's mostly:

- trolls on homeworlds going on about politics;

- PvP'ers ranking on each other on fleet.

Guilds are good, often inviting either by advertising in gen chat, direct whispers or direct invite. I suppose that could be interpreted as a sign of dropping populations but not necessarily. Looking at the conquest board I see alot of familiar guild names.

Don't listen to all the rhetoric about how Harbinger is the "only viable server". It's not, it's simply the biggest. You get the bad with the good. That said, some servers are in trouble population-wise, if you want to do group content frequently. Shadowlands is not one of them.

Edit: Leaving the typo in. Shadowlads is a great guild name! No one steal that *brandishes vibroknife*

Edited by eriksarcasm

Seconded for Shadowlads. GSF pops pretty well, especially on bonus day (Haven't logged in today so don't make a liar out of me!) PvP, Flashpoints and Uprisings also pop well, of course better on bonus day. Chat is childish but not really offensive, it's mostly:

Guilds are good, often inviting either by advertising in gen chat, direct whispers or direct invite. I suppose that could be interpreted as a sign of dropping populations but not necessarily. Looking at the conquest board I see alot of familiar guild names.

Don't listen to all the rhetoric about how Harbinger is the "only viable server". It's not, it's simply the biggest. You get the bad with the good. That said, some servers are in trouble population-wise, if you want to do group content frequently. Shadowlands is not one of them.

Edit: Leaving the typo in. Shadowlads is a great guild name! No one steal that *brandishes vibroknife*

This is very helpful, thanks. Kinda leaning towards Ebon Hawk, but idk what the server pop is for that. I really want to level up my GC with FP's, so a high population server would help a lot. Good to hear my legacy transfers too.

How important is your ping/latency to you? I'm located on the West Coast and average 14-17ms on Bastion and Begeren Colony (Harbinger tends to be in the low 20s for me most of the time I've played there). East Coast servers all give me around 83-89ms latency. While I cannot speak on Master Mode FP queue on BC (I only run those with full groups, never pugs) I can tell you the GSF queue is farily busy most of the time (especially on GC bonus days) but does have slow periods and can be practically non-existent during the very late night/early morning hours on weekdays.

This is very helpful, thanks. Kinda leaning towards Ebon Hawk, but idk what the server pop is for that. I really want to level up my GC with FP's, so a high population server would help a lot. Good to hear my legacy transfers too.

Ebon Hawk may have the second highest NA server population after Harbinger.

How important is your ping/latency to you? I'm located on the West Coast and average 14-17ms on Bastion and Begeren Colony (Harbinger tends to be in the low 20s for me most of the time I've played there). East Coast servers all give me around 83-89ms latency. While I cannot speak on Master Mode FP queue on BC (I only run those with full groups, never pugs) I can tell you the GSF queue is farily busy most of the time (especially on GC bonus days) but does have slow periods and can be practically non-existent during the very late night/early morning hours on weekdays.

I have a pretty good computer, so ping isn't a massive issue. I honestly just want good gameplay and a healthy community. Thanks for the advice!

If you find a guild with people you like on Harbinger, then the community becomes a non-issue as you can run fp with people you like, ignore everybody else. :) I'm not saying to join a huge guild (easy to get lost in the masses), but find some friends with similar interests and suddenly community is a non-issue.

Your comp doesn't have anything to do with your ping at all. It's geography and network slowdowns from you to BW servers. You could have an i7 7700K @ 5.2GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz, m.2 SSD, GTX 1080 SLI, blah blah blah, and still have terrible ping. You send your packets to hop #1 at the speed of light and they might sit there for 50ms in a buffer due to traffic or some slow and old router hardware that your ISP is too cheap to upgrade.

I'm on the west coast and I've never been able to really enjoy playing on east coast servers due to ping being bad enough that it bothers me (200ms+ is unplayable IMO). My ping to Harbinger is around 65ms, which is pretty terrible given my geography. :( I blame my ISP haha (only half kidding).

If you find a guild with people you like on Harbinger, then the community becomes a non-issue as you can run fp with people you like, ignore everybody else. :) I'm not saying to join a huge guild (easy to get lost in the masses), but find some friends with similar interests and suddenly community is a non-issue.

Your comp doesn't have anything to do with your ping at all. It's geography and network slowdowns from you to BW servers. You could have an i7 7700K @ 5.2GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz, m.2 SSD, GTX 1080 SLI, blah blah blah, and still have terrible ping. You send your packets to hop #1 at the speed of light and they might sit there for 50ms in a buffer due to traffic or some slow and old router hardware that your ISP is too cheap to upgrade.

I'm on the west coast and I've never been able to really enjoy playing on east coast servers due to ping being bad enough that it bothers me (200ms+ is unplayable IMO). My ping to Harbinger is around 65ms, which is pretty terrible given my geography. :( I blame my ISP haha (only half kidding).

Thanks for the clarification. Currently leaning towards Ebon Hawk. Can char transfers be bought on GTN? Not really in the mood to waste CC's.

You really must have a few bad nodes near you to have 65ms to a server in the same coast. I'm from argentina so arround 160ms ping is the best we can hope for any SWTOR server with our domestic links (and pro maybe so also as distance is just too much). For me (personally) ping becames a problem with 300ms+ (or even more) and of course spikes/lost packets.

Computer on the other hand if not good can leave with low FPS that translates in lower render AND movement speed even if you have 1ms ping (practically a LAN).

I am interested in moving to a new server off of Bastion. Though I have called Bastion home for the past three years, it is so dead. I poked at Harbinger, but the community there is so damn toxic. Anyone know a friendly server with a large population? Bastion used to be colossal, but now we have an average 20 people on Vaiken.

My main is a 70 Immortal Jugg with 110k hp, and I'm mainly doing master fp's. I want to get back into GSF too. I love the group aspect of SWTOR, but Bastion just doesn't cut it anymore. What is a server with a friendly population and a healthy group finder pop for FP's?

My last question is: Will my legacy transfer with my character? I don't want to transfer my character and then lose my lvl 50 legacy. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! :D --Catherine Skirata

well if your looking for Group content (FP's, raids), and GSF i'd transfer to harb. Harb is one of the biggest GSF pops. (far better then JC, Shadowlands, or ebon Hawk), and has the largest population of the NA servers.

well if your looking for Group content (FP's, raids), and GSF i'd transfer to harb. Harb is one of the biggest GSF pops. (far better then JC, Shadowlands, or ebon Hawk), and has the largest population of the NA servers.

I created a test char on Harb, and found the community quite toxic. I do like the constant GSF pops though. What is the second most populated server now?

Shadowlands is the 2nd largest NA server. GSF and PvP pops are pretty good and it isn't too hard for a non DPS to find Ops pugs. Over all not a bad server to choose. Also your strongholds do transfer but you need to reactive them. If you bought it with Cartel Coins then it is free to reactive. If you bought them with credits there will be a credit fee to reactive them. When reactivated, the stronghold will be wiped clean but all your decos transfer over. Edited by Silko

Character transfers are still only 90CC. But yeah, it adds up. I don't think you can buy them on the GTN.

An RP server probably does have a better community. Good luck with your search! :)

You really must have a few bad nodes near you to have 65ms to a server in the same coast.

Yep. :( Nothing I can do about it. There's only one high speed internet provider where I'm at.

Edited by teclado

Harbinger has the highest population, but also the highest percentage of players who, to put it mildly, display less than desirable behavior.

OP, if I were looking for a server with a good, respectful community, Harbinger would be my last choice.

Edited by Ratajack

Harbinger has the highest population, but also the highest percentage of players who, to put it mildly, display less than desirable behavior.

OP, if I were looking for a server with a good, respectful community, Harbinger would be my last choice.

That is what I was afraid of. I want friendly people who make the game enjoyable, not irritating people who make me wanna rage.

Character transfers are still only 90CC. But yeah, it adds up. I don't think you can buy them on the GTN.

An RP server probably does have a better community. Good luck with your search! :).

Thanks! I have about 2200 CCs right now, and about 16 characters, so I should be good. Just annoying that I have to spend em all on transfers to get enjoyable gameplay.

Thanks! I have about 2200 CCs right now, and about 16 characters, so I should be good. Just annoying that I have to spend em all on transfers to get enjoyable gameplay.

That is are several toons. If some are low or mid lvl, consider redoing them. We have 250% exp till april.

Carefull with the transfer. Do not leave anything in the legacy storage, that is not transfered. Also If you are going to "test" the new server first and get to lvl 10 with a new legacy, choose the same name (or one you actually like) as i think the Legacy name is not transfered (you do get the unlocks as both legacy add to each other).

That is are several toons. If some are low or mid lvl, consider redoing them. We have 250% exp till april.

Carefull with the transfer. Do not leave anything in the legacy storage, that is not transfered. Also If you are going to "test" the new server first and get to lvl 10 with a new legacy, choose the same name (or one you actually like) as i think the Legacy name is not transfered (you do get the unlocks as both legacy add to each other).

Really good to know, as I keep all of my KOTET armor from the dailies in there. I will consider re-doing a lot of my characters, as I only have about five level 60+ toons. Are cargo hold items transferred?

Really good to know, as I keep all of my KOTET armor from the dailies in there. I will consider re-doing a lot of my characters, as I only have about five level 60+ toons. Are cargo hold items transferred?

Character cargo hold should be transfered (there is no possible overlap like with legacy storage). Also mails are not transfered and CM stash also do not transfer. If you have for example DvL items in the stash get them (those are BoP, so choose the toon that gets those). I don´t know about GC stash as it didn't existed when i transfer.

Thirded for Shadowlands! :D

People tend to be mostly decent and helpful if you need help. I play mostly on my own, but the people around are quite nice. Also sales tend to turnover quickly on the GTN, which is also a good thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.