Cartel Market : What's worth buying?

PajeroPistoljero

That depends.

Are you planning to purchase things for your characters to use, or do you plan on spending the CC on items to sell on the GTN?

If it's the former, don't purchase any packs chasing after a particular set of gear or weapon that you want. It's better to just purchase the packs and sell them on the GTN, and use the credits towards buying the item you want directly.

1) Buy packs, but do not open them.

2) Sell these packs on the GTN ----> at fair market prices for your server

3) Collect the proceeds.... "cha-ching!"

4) Buy what you want/like/need in the way of CM items ---> from other players selling said items on the GTN.

Note: you could forget packs completely and find CM items in high demand on your server and buy and resell those instead.... but packs are easy, popular, and always seem to sell well. Buy the right items for CCs and resell them on the GTN and you should net between 7500-10000 credits per CC spent.

Edited by Andryah

1) Buy packs, but do not open them.

2) Sell these packs on the GTN ----> at fair market prices for your server

3) Collect the proceeds.... "cha-ching!"

4) Buy what you want/like/need in the way of CM items ---> from other players selling said items on the GTN.

Note: you could forget packs completely and find CM items in high demand on your server and buy and resell those instead.... but packs are easy, popular, and always seem to sell well. Buy the right items for CCs and resell them on the GTN and you should net between 7500-10000 credits per CC spent.

This is a good thing to do if you actually need credits and don't want to bother with crafting high-end stuff.

I don't really need any more credits nor do I really want any of the armors/weapons that sell for a bazillion credits (I find that most of them look retarded anyway, I prefer the 'simple' looking armors and weapons), so I don't bother with reselling crates. The only 'rare' armor I ever really wanted was Shatele Shan's armor, and I got the full set for as little as a few 100k off the GTN when it was first released :p

Edited by Defecter

This is a good thing to do if you actually need credits and don't want to bother with crafting high-end stuff.

I don't really need any more credits nor do I really want any of the armors/weapons that sell for a bazillion credits (I find that most of them look retarded anyway, I prefer the 'simple' looking armors and weapons), so I don't bother with reselling crates. The only 'rare' armor I ever really wanted was Shatele Shan's armor, and I got the full set for as little as a few 100k off the GTN when it was first released :p

Same here. :) I generally will buy at least one full set of any armor, as well as weapons and other CM items if I even remotely think I might use them later on. I have many of the super rare and very pricey older sets and items in storage and the most I have ever paid for any armor set is a couple million credits.

Me either, and if I did, I would never go the CC-2-Credits route. But for some people, it's an easy route and something they want to do. I generally develop a wealth creation model at the start of playing an MMO and most often that quickly becomes playing the GTN spreads and buy/hold/resell later models. It won't work for every MMO.. but it works exceptionally well in this one. You just have to do some initial research, stay flexible as demand/tastes shift on your server, and let the players dumping CM pack items on the GTN early do what they do and rake up the results for later resale. It takes about 30 minutes per day, on average, for me to earn between 7 and 20 million credits profit per day in todays player economies.

Edited by Andryah

Most things from the cartel market are cosmetic. The main things to spend CC on that affect gameplay are account wide unlocks such as account wide inventory unlocks which increase inventory space for all characters on your account (not character unlocks, those only apply to an individual character). If you plan on playing F2P / Preferred, you may want to buy the items that remove or reduce the restrictions on your account. You also need to save some CC to unlock things from your Collections to use on other characters.

If you aren't aware, Collections are an account wide collection of cartel items that you've acquired. Once a cartel item is bound to a character it gets added to your Collections, you can then make as many copies of that item you want for that character. If you want to use that item on other characters, you have to pay a one time fee of cartel coins to "unlock" that item (this can be up to 400 coins for rare items). Once you do, you can make as many copies as you want on any other characters. Exceptions are Dyes and Tunings, which are not saved in collections at all. And armor sets, which you have to collect the entire set and bind it to a character before it gets added to Collections.

Pretty much everything from the cartel market can be traded to other players or sold on the Galactic Trade Network (GTN). If you want to spend CC to buy items to sell on the GTN, then I recommend buying character and Legacy rename items, command boosts, Hypercrates (don't open them), and/or the Distant Worlds Decoration Bundle. Before you buy anything to sell on the GTN, I recommend looking everything up on the GTN to see how much this stuff is going for on your server. Ideally, I'd check a couple times a day for several days before buying anything in order to get a good idea of the average prices of this stuff.

One note to make about Hypercrates is that you can always sell Hypercrates for much more than they might be going for now by sitting on them a few months. If you sell them when they are no longer available you can make a decent chunk of credits. This also applies to any items from the market that aren't always available.

Generally, if you can convert 1k CC to about 10 million credits, that's a pretty good deal. Depending on your server, there might be a few things from the market that you can do this with. Again, just be sure to check prices beforehand. Also, whenever you claim something from the cartel market, there's a day and a half bind timer where the item is temporarily bound to the character you claimed it on. You have to wait for the bind timer to expire before mailing, trading, or selling the item.

I don't recommend buying any packs or Hypercrates to open yourself. It is way too much of a gamble to get anything good, especially with recent packs. It is far more effective to buy Hypercrates (or whatever else) and sell them for credits on the GTN and then use those credits to buy whatever cartel items you want off of the GTN.

Isn't it odd? If we shouldn't open packs, then who in his right mind would buy them in the first place?

I see nothing but advice to not open them, but the logical conclusion would be that nobody will buy them either so you'll end up with lots of expensive and worthless dead weight.

And the people who are mad enough to buy them are either rich people who don't care or addicts who have no choice and do you really want to be part of the problem by keeping addicts fueled? That makes you worse then EA's own greed, doing their work for them.

If the RNG is inherently disadvantageous we should stop supporting such a system. At this rate the greed will only divide the community in such a way that the game WILL destroy itself by our hands ,and EA? They'll make another cashgrab mmo and repeat the process unless we the players stand up and refuse to participate in this nonsense!

Isn't it odd? If we shouldn't open packs, then who in his right mind would buy them in the first place?

I see nothing but advice to not open them, but the logical conclusion would be that nobody will buy them either so you'll end up with lots of expensive and worthless dead weight.

And the people who are mad enough to buy them are either rich people who don't care or addicts who have no choice and do you really want to be part of the problem by keeping addicts fueled? That makes you worse then EA's own greed, doing their work for them.

I'll break the mould. I buy them for the fun of seeing what's in them. Not to get item X. If I get Item X, so much the better, but that's a bonus, not the main reason I buy them. And, historically, except for the most recent pack, I've done OK with them. (The most recent pack seemed to drop relatively few gold or better items compared to the packs before.)

But I've had some reasonable successes. I have the non-cross unstable sabre (the one with the rattly ball bearing in it). I have Senya's Pike. I have had some of the really cool mounts. And over 80% of the CM titles unlocked. Currently, a new character on my account leaves the starting instance at level *5*, ffs.

But I also have a *lot* of hideous bronze-rated stuff that I can't sell on the GTN even if I list it for half of the "default" price. Shrug.

Context is important. So is pragmatism. This boils down to managing player expectations in context to the fact that cartel packs work off of a random loot table.

The advice to not open packs but resell them applies to players who are deliberately seeking a particular item from a pack. This is particularly true if the player is seeking a gold or platinum armor set (which requires three lucky and low percentage pulls from a pack to achieve). It is sound advice for a player looking to get one particular set or item from a pack.

On the other hand... there are clearly many people that actually enjoy the cartel pack opening experience. And these players generally know up front they are taking a chance and cannot control what they get from a pack, and are OK with that.

Which approach is the best for any given player is up to the player and what they are seeking..... a particular drop, or just enjoy opening surprise boxes. What is a given however, and the reason for the advice, is there ARE players who expect specific items from packs, and ignore the fact that their chance of that specific item dropping from any pack is small.

Edited by Andryah

If the RNG is inherently disadvantageous we should stop supporting such a system. At this rate the greed will only divide the community in such a way that the game WILL destroy itself by our hands ,and EA? They'll make another cashgrab mmo and repeat the process unless we the players stand up and refuse to participate in this nonsense!

Why do people gamble?

People open packs for the same reasons that some people enjoy playing slot machines. Whatever psychological weaknesses that are there that get someone to keep paying to pull the handle on a slot machine, chasing some jackpot they're probably not going to obtain, are also there for the Cartel Market whales who spend thousands of dollars opening packs.

As much as Bioware likes to pretend the Cartel Market packs aren't gambling, they're gambling.

As much as Bioware likes to pretend the Cartel Market packs aren't gambling, they're gambling.

People always make this mistake.

It IS a game of chance, and you are taking chances when you play it. No doubt about it at all.

Gambling on the other hand.. is actually a legal and commercial term, and generally closely regulated by your local government. The Cartel Market does not encroach into either legal or commercial terms, conditions, and enforcement. Feel free to check with your local authorities if you refuse to believe this statement.

Tip 1: there is a reason that you cannot buy cartel packs directly for real money. THAT would cross the legal and commercial thresholds for "gambling" in some jurisdictions (even though there is no chance to gain a return on investment, much less cash out CCs and items for real money. And since CCs are virtual currency that can be gotten for no real money if one chooses and plans, and you can purchase only in game items and unlocks and cannot convert any of it to actual real life money.... it fails any legal or commercial tests for = gambling.

Tip 2: much of what is purchased in the way of cartel packs are purchased with the free float of CCs in players hands courtesy of monthly CC grants, and friend referral grants. So in reality, nothing is lost to the player other then dashed hopes/dreams of getting a specific item from the random loot tables.

Attack it for the correct reasons, rather then conflating with the term "gambling". If you don't like games of chance, don't play them.. nobody is forcing you to, most of all the studio.

Edited by Andryah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.