Baffling invalid name?

Vego_Mohenjo

So... I decided to restart my Juggernaut. He's currently called Ràth (with the little accent over the a because the name was taken away from me each time they merged servers).

So, I created a new character and called him Lord Rath, intending to move the original character's cash and gear and such to the new character. However, after creating the character, I realized I'd made an error in his appearance, so I deleted him and recreated him again.

However, when I went to enter the game it said "Invalid name."

Why? It was valid 5 minutes before, why would it suddenly be invalid now?

Any ideas?

But it wasn't disallowed 5 minutes before...

"Lord" in a character name is specifically prohibited (they even use it as an example of what is not allowed). This has been true for a long time now.

If you managed to squeak it past one time, it may very well just indicate that their filter check routine was glitched at that moment.

Keep in mind, just because you got away with a name previously, does not mean it is still allowed. Unless someone reported you, you may very well carry an invalid name for a long time... because they constantly update their filter routines. I imagine that as they address reported names, they make additions to the filters for naming, but do not go back and try to force scrub similar or other invalid names as well.

Edited by Andryah

But it wasn't disallowed 5 minutes before...

It's been suggested previously the spammers are some how obtaining recently deleted names. Yes, they're supposed to be freed up but if you're getting an 'invalid name' error, it's been grabbed.

Not the thread I was thinking of since it doesn't discuss the spammer aspect of it but - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=629621

According to customer service, it is the use of the word "Lord" in the name that's causing the issue.

A shame, I thought I'd found a way to get my name back the way I wanted it. The character was originally called Rath, I even paid extra for early access to the game so I could be sure to GET the name. It was taken away when the server was merged with another. I adjusted it, but that got taken away in the following merge, and I adjusted it again. Of course, even THAT got taken away in the last merge, even though I was the one already on the server with the name. So, after having the name taken from me three times, I thought I could use the title Lord in his name to give me back the appearance, at least, of his original name. Alas.

Why not make use of the option for an space in the Name and give him an sure or second name?

You can, now. Originally, you could only use a single name, but that's been expanded to allow you to put in one space. That's why I thought I could do Lord Rath instead of just Rath.

if you're getting an 'invalid name' error, it's been grabbed.

You don't get the "invalid name" when you try to use a a name someone else is already using. You get "Name unavailable, please choose another" when that happens. The "invalid" message means your name is not allowed for some reason.

I've made many, many characers over the years. I can't count how many times I've just hit the "random" name button, and got "Name unavailable". Not "invalid", "unavailable".

And tried it again, just now. Multiple random names or ones I know are in use. Got the "unavailable" message every time. Then tried using a random generated name with Lord or Darth in front of it and got the "invalid" message. Removed the title, and the name was "unavailable", not "invalid".

Edited by Adric_the_Red

Maybe try something else. IMO, I hate the names that put titles in. But thats just me. If it is something you want, try special characters. I have a few toons that I really wanted a certain name, and had to use alt codes, although never seeing anyone else with that name.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.