Suggestion: Award Unassembled Components for GC Crate disintegrations

stoopicus

Title says it all, really. Change the reward for disintegrating useless items in GC Crates to give Unassembled Components instead of a CXP gain.

The current GC crates are junk, and it is typical to go for tens of GC ranks of near-total disintegrations between getting worthwhile gear. The current CXP refund for disintegrations just accelerates the rate you get the Disintegration Crates. If they were to give something useful instead, like components, there might be more motivation to grind the crates. Then at least we could look forward to each upcoming total disintegration, anyway.

This would also give Solo PvE players a chance at getting the components, which I am sure they would like.

Title says it all, really. Change the reward for disintegrating useless items in GC Crates to give Unassembled Components instead of a CXP gain.

The current GC crates are junk, and it is typical to go for tens of GC ranks of near-total disintegrations between getting worthwhile gear. The current CXP refund for disintegrations just accelerates the rate you get the Disintegration Crates. If they were to give something useful instead, like components, there might be more motivation to grind the crates. Then at least we could look forward to each upcoming total disintegration, anyway.

This would also give Solo PvE players a chance at getting the components, which I am sure they would like.

No, unassembled components are for pvpers not pve players. Application declined

No, unassembled components are for pvpers not pve players. Application declined

So basically you can steamroll noob teams all day in PVP and get lots of gear from it, but unless you have guild that runs regular ops you're ****ed because you dont get anything but little CXP from other PVE content... smart, yep.

Edited by MotherCrusher

Great idea and with how bloody expensive in terms of components the items are anyway, needing tokens, needing the previous tier item I think this would be a lovely addition - it wouldn't be too fast at all really.

I would add perhaps only add it to gear ( vanity or stat ) disintegration. Mostly due to the gear being what you didn't get the item you needed/wanted and thus you are getting the component to make up for it. Scrap and gifts actually have uses ( monetary at the least so shouldn't just wholesale reward more gear currency because people choose not to take advtange.

To then put this into perspective with some actual numbers.

Tier 1 could at max yield you 180 ( if you disintegrated every gear piece which is 2 per crate ) - this would let you get 1-2 tier 1 pieces or upgrade to 1 tier 2 piece. This is actually the perfect accompaniment to the system because it really does let you get the item(s) you are missing as you go through GC itself PLUS it doesn't only benefit PVP players.

I would almost go as far as to say in tier 2 you get 2 x components per disintegration and then 3 x for tier 3.

Lastly to improve operations in line with this I'd offer a random drop guaranteed on every boss except the last boss with is 100% chance for set item.

Nice to see a constructive thread being made for a chance. :)

I disagree, disintegrations would be way too good and cause players to regret taking an item they didn't absolutely 100% need.

1 unassembled component per rank is fine.

So? They still need the tier 1 item to get a tier 3 and the math works out to not even make this overly overpowered way of gearing at all. A nice supplementary addition for ALL players to target the pieces they are missing as opposed to just PVP players or operation players able to do HM+ final bosses and even worse for those trying to get the 242 pieces which is such an incredibly small portion of the community that's left that could target each 242 piece on a final nim boss.

So? They still need the tier 1 item to get a tier 3 and the math works out to not even make this overly overpowered way of gearing at all. A nice supplementary addition for ALL players to target the pieces they are missing as opposed to just PVP players or operation players able to do HM+ final bosses and even worse for those trying to get the 242 pieces which is such an incredibly small portion of the community that's left that could target each 242 piece on a final nim boss.

I just think that giving it at a rate of 1 unassembled component per crate/rank rather than on disintegration would place less annoynace on players (do i keep this shiny mtx/item for my alt/slight upgrade or wait till i get better luck?) and would be easier to grant retroactively.

I'm also against the idea of giving increased rewards per tier. Making tier 1 more rewarding than tier 3 in this regard (since you gain ranks faster) would encourage alts.

I just think that giving it at a rate of 1 unassembled component per crate/rank rather than on disintegration would place less annoynace on players (do i keep this shiny mtx/item for my alt/slight upgrade or wait till i get better luck?) and would be easier to grant retroactively.

You are implying players are somehow morons and contradicting yourself in a previous debate. You said this system was much simpler for players to know if they should take X gear piece because it was green stats thus must be better. Thus if it's red - disassemble.

Also 1 per crate is just silly - that's 1-3 items ( depending on slot and rank ) for the entire 300 levels. Might as well not waste the development time making the change if that were the case because the QoL improvement is almost nothing.

I'm also against the idea of giving increased rewards per tier. Making tier 1 more rewarding than tier 3 in this regard (since you gain ranks faster) would encourage alts.

There are numerous ways to improve alt gearing through legacy changes, BWA just need to take on board some suggestions.

You are implying players are somehow morons and contradicting yourself in a previous debate. You said this system was much simpler for players to know if they should take X gear piece because it was green stats thus must be better. Thus if it's red - disassemble.

Exactly, if you increase the rewards for disintegration this heavily it'll no longer be green numbers = take, it'll be green numbers = "disintegration? take? idk man maybe i'll get lucky?"

Also 1 per crate is just silly - that's 1-3 items ( depending on slot and rank ) for the entire 300 levels. Might as well not waste the development time making the change if that were the case because the QoL improvement is almost nothing.

It's quite a lot actually, if you consider how fast levels come in the lower tiers and that PvP/GSF will still be granting them as well.

Edited by Eli_Porter

Exactly, if you increase the rewards for disintegration this heavily it'll no longer be green numbers = take, it'll be green numbers = "disintegration? take? idk man maybe i'll get lucky?"

"Maybe I'll get lucky" - the op is talking about a set amount of components per disintegration, not disintegrating gives you the item you are viewing. There is no luck involved.

It's quite a lot actually, if you consider how fast levels come in the lower tiers and that PvP/GSF will still be granting them as well.

It's not a lot at all, you are just being contrarian in both of your points here.

"Maybe I'll get lucky" - the op is talking about a set amount of components per disintegration, not disintegrating gives you the item you are viewing. There is no luck involved.

The luck is about disintegrating that green/blue item knowing that you could get lucky with a purple/gold item later. And then not getting it and regretting the choice you made.

It's not a lot at all, you are just being contrarian in both of your points here.

Are you thinking of this with the changes coming in mind? Getting levels, especially early levels, will be fast as hell. An operation's worth of CXP packs could give you well over 10 unassembled components on a fresh 70.

Edited by Eli_Porter

The luck is about disintegrating that green/blue item knowing that you could get lucky with a purple/gold item later. And then not getting it and regretting the choice you made.

That's how the system works now. The OPs suggestion has nothing at all to do with luck. Stop making things up.

Are you thinking of this with the changes coming in mind? Getting levels, especially early levels, will be fast as hell. An operation's worth of CXP packs could give you well over 10 unassembled components on a fresh 70.

That's bad how exactly? Perhaps you don't remember how much gear costs and that you need the previous gear to get it. A new 70 player isn't going to have that and if it's from alts - well that's a good thing too.

Either way we are talking 1-2 gear pieces you could buy from the ENTIRE first tier at 2 per crate drop rate ( providing you choose to disintegrate ). That is not bad, that's taking a fundamentally flawed system and making it better.

Doing 2 dumb unranked warzones (2 x 15 mins) gives you also 10 components if you win both. Doing an operation would take longer and you can't even brain-afk it. And still you think 10 components for an operation's worth of CXP packs is too much, though it would be even less for a non fresh 70?

I just don't get it. When did this game turn into a mainly pvp game? And why do some pvp players seem to think that pve players should not be allowed to work towards a specific gear piece with the help of unassembled components?

Edited by Avianatorsparkma

Eli, this is the second place you have argued this would be "too fast" and it's making less sense over time. Please stop.

Regs Warzones: ~15 mins, 5 for win, 2 for loss now - being increased in 5.1.2

GSF: similar time, 8 for win

Ranked WZ even more and less time, etc

This proposal: 2 every 30 minutes as of the boost in 5.1.1.

Cost to upgrade one piece of gear: 120 unassembled components for Tier 2

Please stop implying it's too fast. In fact - it's too slow. I propose 2 unassembled components per crate gear item disintegrated. This gives a max of 4 per GC level, which feels about right to me.

I came to this conclusion based on a realization I had here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9234006&postcount=344

tl;dr, unassembled components/pieces are actually the primary gearing mechanism, despite the fact that Bioware considers them to be secondary. It's simply another thing they are mistaken about in this system.

Edited by stoopicus

That's how the system works now. The OPs suggestion has nothing at all to do with luck. Stop making things up.

It'll be way more prevalent with disintegration rewards increased this much.

That's bad how exactly? Perhaps you don't remember how much gear costs and that you need the previous gear to get it. A new 70 player isn't going to have that and if it's from alts - well that's a good thing too.

Either way we are talking 1-2 gear pieces you could buy from the ENTIRE first tier at 2 per crate drop rate ( providing you choose to disintegrate ). That is not bad, that's taking a fundamentally flawed system and making it better.

Eli, this is the second place you have argued this would be "too fast" and it's making less sense over time. Please stop.

Regs Warzones: ~15 mins, 5 for win, 2 for loss now - being increased in 5.1.2

GSF: similar time, 8 for win

Ranked WZ even more and less time, etc

This proposal: 2 every 30 minutes as of the boost in 5.1.1.

Cost to upgrade one piece of gear: 120 unassembled components for Tier 2

Please stop implying it's too fast. In fact - it's too slow.

I'm not gonna go down that route, since speed is obviously subjective. If you wanna make it more rewarding, I'm not gonna stand in your way, but please don't make me give up upgrades I get on command crates for long-term efficiency's sake. Just give the UC per crate/rank.

Gonna respect your thread and stop now.

Edited by Eli_Porter

I agree with the OP and in fact also had this idea over the weekend.

The biggest issues with the 5.1 and 5.2 fixes is that it really does nothing to ensure players who only use GC as a gearing method to work towards anything specific like raiders and PvP'ers and players with bad luck will still loose out under the current changes.

This idea would at least minimise the impact of bad luck because by awarding components on disintegrations puts you ACTUALLY on the way to a guaranteed useful item.

Agree.

With components from Crate You could get 242 gear in one day.

That would be pretty macho, since you need 100 components per tier 1 piece, 120 for tier 2, and 150 for tier 3, and that's just the cheapest pieces like bracers and belts. So at 370 components per slot, that's gonna be a long day at 2-4 per crate.

Edited by stoopicus

One of the pitfalls I see is the disparity for PVE vs. PVP in paths.

People that mostly PVP can see the system as tilted toward the raiders since raids drop the Tokens. Early on, that seems like its the case. A raider can gain 236 gear quicker than a full time PVPer

But over time, I think it will be a reverse. The only way PVEers can get a 242 token is by NiM raids, which most will not be able to complete. Meanwhile the PVPers will have a path to upgrade all the way to 242. Granted it could be long path, but its more reliable than ops over the long haul.

Different things they could o to balance the PVE vs. PVP discrepancy now and long term would be very beneficial. Seems like the components dropping from the crates is the simplest solution. It would speed up the short term PVP path now, and allow PVEers the same "long road" option.

One of the pitfalls I see is the disparity for PVE vs. PVP in paths.

People that mostly PVP can see the system as tilted toward the raiders since raids drop the Tokens. Early on, that seems like its the case. A raider can gain 236 gear quicker than a full time PVPer

But over time, I think it will be a reverse. The only way PVEers can get a 242 token is by NiM raids, which most will not be able to complete. Meanwhile the PVPers will have a path to upgrade all the way to 242. Granted it could be long path, but its more reliable than ops over the long haul.

Different things they could o to balance the PVE vs. PVP discrepancy now and long term would be very beneficial. Seems like the components dropping from the crates is the simplest solution. It would speed up the short term PVP path now, and allow PVEers the same "long road" option.

Yep, that was pretty much my thinking too.

Really just need to scrap GC and award UC's for every activity in the game. No more crap RNG and waaaaaaaaay simpler than the mess it's been tortured into so that whoever's got a deathgrip on this failed idea can keep their job.

End game gearing needs to fulfill the following requirements:

• PvP works best without any gear gap whatsoever. Gear progression is a PvE concept. Build flexibility should remain a thing.
  • Gear progression in PvE is only fun in content that hasn't been beat by a particular team.
  • Raiding is a high-turn over activity. Rapid catch up mechanics are essential.
  • Role flexibility (Being able to perform both DPS and Support as needed) is essential. Building an off-spec set of gear should not be Sisyphean.

I like the OPs idea.

Even if it were limited to "exchanging" a set bonus piece you get from the crate with an unassembled component, it's still MUCH better for solo PVE players than anything going on right now.

Tomorrow's changes are going to make the crates come faster for awhile, but it's a short term fix and doesn't help with the RNG aspect for getting specific gear.

This idea would.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.