Include 2-letter words in GTN searches and also bypass [augmented]

BenduKundalini

...such as prepositions like "of" (or "de" or "la" or "du" in French, pretty sure German has "zu" or somesuch)

Why? Because if such a short word is there, nope, NO RESULTS!

Same goes for shift+left clicking an augmented item. NOTHING will appear in results unless there happens to be an augmented one.

Wishful thinking I know but hey.

Edited by BenduKundalini

Why? Because if such a short word is there, nope, NO RESULTS!

Probably won;t happen. I can give you a long technical response concerning databases and how this is a very bad idea (ie response time, size of the index that sits on top of the database, etc) but it will probably not happen.

Probably won;t happen. I can give you a long technical response concerning databases and how this is a very bad idea (ie response time, size of the index that sits on top of the database, etc) but it will probably not happen.

Guessing as much, but probabilities even worse if we don't even ask...

Guessing as much, but probabilities even worse if we don't even ask...

Actually I work for a webhosting company that caters to soccer moms and we offer them full support to the point of doing installs and modifications for their websites and software. It's a much asked question.

Depending on the database, you can actually sit on it, feed it keywords (well known 2 letter combos of interest) to look for and index. You can get it to work but I don't see them doing it.

I can sit here and write out our experience with one of our clients and their NYC subway trainspotting website but I;ve got to go to bed.

Edited by dr_mike

Actually I work for a webhosting company that caters to soccer moms and we offer them full support to the point of doing installs and modifications for their websites and software. It's a much asked question.

Depending on the database, you can actually sit on it, feed it keywords (well known 2 letter combos of interest) to look for and index. You can get it to work but I don't see them doing it.

I can sit here and write out our experience with one of our clients and their NYC subway trainspotting website but I;ve got to go to bed.

Interesting.

I have lots of shortcuts that I input such as rec rel, anc thr, iso exo, ref ist, fla fra, cha slo, tok...

But when you shift click an item into the damn GTN many times it's going to be filled with prepositions (and GTN in French is thus a nightmare) that you have to go and manually take out, hidden in the middle of a long arse name all too often :rolleyes::D

Edited by BenduKundalini

I've been a software engineer in Silicon Valley for a while and I wouldn't necessarily assume that allowing 2-letter words in a search service would be prohibitively inefficient. But let's just say this is true. There are still things you can do:

1) Perform shift left click searches as ID searches rather than text searches. This would have the added benefit of showing results for exactly what you're looking for (ie, if the title of an item is also a substring of the title of another item, it would only show the item you're looking for) and would perform faster than a text based search.

2) Strip the 2-letter stop words automatically for the user. This is super simple to implement. When they hit search, remove the stop words from the search input box and display the results. I would wager a guess that nearly all users are doing this exact thing every time they encounter this issue.

I've been a software engineer in Silicon Valley for a while and I wouldn't necessarily assume that allowing 2-letter words in a search service would be prohibitively inefficient. But let's just say this is true. There are still things you can do:

1) Perform shift left click searches as ID searches rather than text searches. This would have the added benefit of showing results for exactly what you're looking for (ie, if the title of an item is also a substring of the title of another item, it would only show the item you're looking for) and would perform faster than a text based search.

2) Strip the 2-letter stop words automatically for the user. This is super simple to implement. When they hit search, remove the stop words from the search input box and display the results. I would wager a guess that nearly all users are doing this exact thing every time they encounter this issue.

Very interesting, thanks.

As for the last sentence, nope, took me 4 years to realize this is why some results are void, and every time I've told anyone they go "omg that's why?"

GREAT SUGGESTION however it would have to be solely letters. Because numbers are in fact acknowledged, even single digit ones (ex barrel 5 will give you a barrel 5 as well as a barrel 45)

Edited by BenduKundalini

Very interesting, thanks.

As for the last sentence, nope, took me 4 years to realize this is why some results are void, and every time I've told anyone they go "omg that's why?"

GREAT SUGGESTION however it would have to be solely letters. Because numbers are in fact acknowledged, even single digit ones (ex barrel 5 will give you a barrel 5 as well as a barrel 45)

Agreed. That's why I mention stripping "stop words" only, or to be more precise, the list of words they're ignoring which are causing the problem.

Or, even better, stop making items with two-letter words in their names.

We've asked them to fix the issues with items with 2 spaces in their names. As you can see, we're still waiting....

Dealing with those "Holocron of..."'s are a pain too.

I didn't want to go into details as I was seriously trying to go home for the night last night.

We usually get around it but substituting the 2 letter combos with a special phrase, tell the software to look for that and put filters in on both ends to translate it. That takes fine tuning but we can usually make it work, specially since we would know what 2 letter combos to look for a head of time. Did for the subway site.

Also usually when folks get into technical stuff around here, they get trolled.

Edited by dr_mike

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.