Having trouble deciding between Merc or PT

AWantedMan

So i started playing this game awhile back and played with a powertech. I took a huge break and am back into it. I wanna do a full run through from class story to KOTET using the Bounty hunter (just like the idea) and i'm wondering which class i'd have more fun with. I've already played PT once so i'm not too keen on doing so again but i don't know if merc is for me. I'm mostly looking for:

1.Instant cast abilites

2.Tankiness (survivability in general)

3. TONS OF DPS

I tested merc out and it didn't feel too hot with me. Does it get better at later levels?

Did you receive a boost token when you started playing again? If you did, use it and teleport immediately to fleet and go to the target dummys. When you're done just delete to character to get the token refunded.

Otherwise i'd say choose merc/commando, they're very popular atm compared to powertechs/vanguards who is the least played class :(

So i started playing this game awhile back and played with a powertech. I took a huge break and am back into it. I wanna do a full run through from class story to KOTET using the Bounty hunter (just like the idea) and i'm wondering which class i'd have more fun with. I've already played PT once so i'm not too keen on doing so again but i don't know if merc is for me. I'm mostly looking for:

1.Instant cast abilites

2.Tankiness (survivability in general)

3. TONS OF DPS

I tested merc out and it didn't feel too hot with me. Does it get better at later levels?

With PT getting being transformed into near pure melee class, and only being given their gap closer at 60, I'd say its a pretty annoying class to play right now.

Its survivability is also pretty low, gets some small DR boost later on, but its the class that gets burnt first in pvp arenas nowadays.

Currently merc has better damage, is tankier and a ranged class. It however is cast based, even tough you have good mobility and some instant, you'll mostly be turret casting. Mobility comes later, its very turretish till the 50s.

Also, while I think the BH story can be pretty fun, in the optic of going to KoTFE/KoTeT I'd suggest considering the Sith Warrior (or Jedi Knight) as they make a lot more sense to the story, which feels VERY ackward on non-force using classes, and the interaction with at least one key character makes little to no sense to classes that aren't Knight or Warrior.

On the plus side, but Jug/Mara are instant ability classes, with good damage and good pve survivability :)

The PT is likely to have changed a lot since you played one.

Is a full melee class (no joke, is melee (abilities are 4 and 10m range just like a sin) and only very late you get a gap close ability.

It still feels (even as DPS) as a tank, but the lack of gap closer makes leveling (class story) a real pain in the but. Imagine a Jugg/Mara without force charge.

You basicaly have no opener because every single enemy will attack you before you can attack them. Then they will even avoid you and go against your companion so you will find yourself chasing enemies most of the time. If the enemies are weak, your healer companion will even kill most before you do.

Merc may not be a tank spec; but it also feels a lot like one. You wear heavy armor and have the best defensive abilities of the game. What you don't have is much mobility, but with 30m range you can sit tight while kicking *** from the distance.

Also, while I think the BH story can be pretty fun, in the optic of going to KoTFE/KoTeT I'd suggest considering the Sith Warrior (or Jedi Knight) as they make a lot more sense to the story, which feels VERY ackward on non-force using classes, and the interaction with at least one key character makes little to no sense to classes that aren't Knight or Warrior.

It's my understanding that the Operative has one of the best stories in this game.

From a PVP perspective, Mercs have 3 lives PTs barely have 1, in arena PVP, if you're a PT you will always be the 1st targeted and there's very little you can do about it, Mercs feel godly when playing them, you can outtank most tanks tanks and out DPS most DPS and self or off heal. The only saving grace a PT has is if you love fire (Pyro) grapple is a lot of fun as is your aoe freeze, but thats about it. I have 2 Mercs,1 Commando a Vanguard, Pyrotech and Powertech Tank at 70 and play most regularly.

agent's story is pretty good, but again, once you finish your class story and enters the "one size fits all" SoR and KoTFE, non-force user feels....out of place.

I agree. it feels like the story was written for the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior only.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.