Why I Unsubscribed (long post, hopefully not too ranty for your tastes)

ForfiniteStories

The reason why I have been subscribed is that there is a lot of content to keep someone who is new to the game occupied for quite some time and that I enjoyed my experience THAT MUCH, but for those who have already experienced it all, any and all content has since dried out.

There has only been a single story expansion released in the past two years (Knight of the Fallen Empire/Eternal Throne), and it was sub-par in comparison to the story content initially released with the game. There is hardly any diversity between the classes anymore, only slight nods. No way to truly branch away from the path that all classes are forced to endure. It is no longer our personal story, but Bioware's story now, and our story was better.

My characters are saying things they would never say, nor things that coincide with what they had said previously. I'm looking at you Sith Warrior, oh you lovely EMPEROR'S WRATH. Even Valkorian/Vitiate had temper tantrums for no apparent reason throughout KotFE and SoR. Like, I'm your own Wrath, you idiot. I haven't done Chapter 9 of KotET for the Sith Warrior yet, but I suspect it leads to betrayal ...because that makes sense. Or rather, that's what all classes are forced to go through despite having completely different histories. It's like their relationship is being torn apart by powers beyond their control. It breaks immersion when I know that the plot is unwinding the way it is because it's forced. Because someone was too lazy to write deeper, varying context for the various classes/decisions being made or weren't paid enough to make it feel natural. I shouldn't tell myself that "it doesn't matter what I do, it'll end up this way regardless." I should be a force of change. It should be my personal story, as advertised. I shouldn't be forced into a story I do not want. My Wrath would never betray her Emperor, yet beyond my control, she tells Lana to keep the datacron hidden from Valkorion. Like, where the f did that come from? o.O

Should I just stop playing and write my own fanfiction instead? Because story is pointless if it's going to be like this, and that's a bad thing since story is this game's strongest point. Without that, what's left? Writing stories with a pen and paper or wordpad will give me a better SWTOR experience than SWTOR itself, especially if it's only going to get worse.

There is also the enforcement of needless grinding. 4.0 made us grind for new tiers of gear for no reason. And only one year later, we are forced to once again grind our lives away with no new content to accommodate the grind, but now with an abundance of RNG to make it more frustrating than before.

I don't mind a grind as much as I don't mind having to work for something. But why am I grinding/working for gear I already had? In just one day, it was all taken away from me. All the effort now in vain. And now I have to do the exact same content I just did all over again.

There are also a plethora of issues with the gameplay and bugs that have been addressed to some degree, but never fixed or improved upon, with some of them being in the game for years.

Characters saying something different that what is written as well as the issue of not being able to re-obtain abandoned quests, the latter of the two being what caused me to snap, unsubscribe and type this. It was an appalling discovery. I literally spent two hours asking other players to share the mission so I can get it again until finally someone offered to help. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they weren't able to share the mission. What resulted in this in the first place was me not being satisfied with what my character said, which was the result of them saying something different than what the dialogue options indicated.

An entire quest CHAIN, gone.

Every other MMO I played allowed me to re-acquire an abandoned quest. This, however, was quite unexpected and startling.

If it was a recent issue, I would have been fine, knowing that it would or might get fixed soon enough. But this has been an issue since the dawn of the game and one customer service never bothered to help others with.

If I can't do story, then what's the point of playing something about story?

The ability to conclude Heroic quests via NPC conversation has been removed.

Vendors and their unique gear have been removed.

The game is so easy, it's boring. Even story bosses die easy, and now Heroics are soloable - therefore nullifying the entire purpose of Heroics. I remember the joy of having an active planetary chat, when people grouped up to complete Heroics together. It was immersive and fun. I also fondly recall the gripping tension of saving the world from a story boss. Now I only have to breathe in their general direction.

Meanwhile, we (even as subscribers) are constantly bombarded by cash shop items and whatnot that can only be justifiable if the developers themselves are putting in adequate effort, but they're not. It's clear that someone up top does not care about us or the game.

I feel like I have hardly scratched the surface.

There are some good things though. 4.0 made Datacrons Legacy-wide. It also gave us awesome looking gear that most of my characters wear. I wouldn't want to know what they would have ended up with if these clothing were never made. 5.0 gave us repeatable chapters. But it still could be taken a step further.

Allow all items to be unlocked in the Collections tab, regardless of whether or not the whole set has been completed and regardless if they are even Cartel items.

Make Codex entries Legacy-wide.

Make previous expansion stories and class stories repeatable. Heck, make all quests repeatable. Leveling doesn't mean anything anymore, right?

It breaks my heart to turn away from something that has so much potential and something that I loved, but I can't keep fooling myself. I have to turn away before I spend any more money on -- and therefore give my support to -- false promises and illusions of grandeur.

My advice would be to get off your asses (excuse the foul language, please) and improve the game. Add content, fix bugs. Trying to enjoy this game is like running a gauntlet. Enjoying something should come naturally. I shouldn't have to force myself to do it. I feel like I am trotting through an empty hallway that hasn't been lived in for quite sometime, admiring what's left and wondering why it's been left in the cold.

This is my final attempt to improve a game that I really want to play. I will come back if things change, and I hope to God that they do, so please take my advice if you are willing.

I mean, I would still play every now and then if the subscription fee wasn't technically enforced. There is no real reason to subscribe, but there are so many limitations I literally can't play the game without subscribing. I can't justify paying for shoddy work.

Though my subscription is still running...

I guess I just can't be bothered to even waste my time on shoddy work, assuming any work is being put into the game at all at this point.

Who would want to care about something the developers or publishers themselves don't care about? I feel like I need to get off this ship before it sinks, otherwise I will be wasting my time.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

The reason why I have been subscribed is that there is a lot of content to keep someone who is new to the game occupied for quite some time and that I enjoyed my experience THAT MUCH, but for those who have already experienced it all, any and all content has since dried out.

There has only been a single story expansion released in the past two years (Knight of the Fallen Empire/Eternal Throne), and it was sub-par in comparison to the story content initially released with the game. There is hardly any diversity between the classes anymore, only slight nods. No way to truly branch away from the path that all classes are forced to endure. It is no longer our personal story, but Bioware's story now, and our story was better.

My characters are saying things they would never say, nor things that coincide with what they had said previously. I'm looking at you Sith Warrior, oh you lovely EMPEROR'S WRATH. Even Valkorian/Vitiate had temper tantrums for no apparent reason throughout KotFE and SoR. Like, I'm your own Wrath, you idiot. I haven't done Chapter 9 of KotET for the Sith Warrior yet, but I suspect it leads to betrayal ...because that makes sense. Or rather, that's what all classes are forced to go through despite having completely different histories. It's like their relationship is being torn apart by powers beyond their control. It breaks immersion when I know that the plot is unwinding the way it is because it's forced. Because someone was too lazy to write deeper, varying context for the various classes/decisions being made or weren't paid enough to make it feel natural. I shouldn't tell myself that "it doesn't matter what I do, it'll end up this way regardless." I should be a force of change. It should be my personal story, as advertised. I shouldn't be forced into a story I do not want. My Wrath would never betray her Emperor, yet beyond my control, she tells Lana to keep the datacron hidden from Valkorion. Like, where the f did that come from? o.O

Should I just stop playing and write my own fanfiction instead? Because story is pointless if it's going to be like this, and that's a bad thing since story is this game's strongest point. Without that, what's left? Writing stories with a pen and paper or wordpad will give me a better SWTOR experience than SWTOR itself, especially if it's only going to get worse.

There is also the enforcement of needless grinding. 4.0 made us grind for new tiers of gear for no reason. And only one year later, we are forced to once again grind our lives away with no new content to accommodate the grind, but now with an abundance of RNG to make it more frustrating than before.

I don't mind a grind as much as I don't mind having to work for something. But why am I grinding/working for gear I already had? In just one day, it was all taken away from me. All the effort now in vain. And now I have to do the exact same content I just did all over again.

There are also a plethora of issues with the gameplay and bugs that have been addressed to some degree, but never fixed or improved upon, with some of them being in the game for years.

Characters saying something different that what is written as well as the issue of not being able to re-obtain abandoned quests, the latter of the two being what caused me to snap, unsubscribe and type this. It was an appalling discovery. I literally spent two hours asking other players to share the mission so I can get it again until finally someone offered to help. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they weren't able to share the mission. What resulted in this in the first place was me not being satisfied with what my character said, which was the result of them saying something different than what the dialogue options indicated.

An entire quest CHAIN, gone.

Every other MMO I played allowed me to re-acquire an abandoned quest. This, however, was quite unexpected and startling.

If it was a recent issue, I would have been fine, knowing that it would or might get fixed soon enough. But this has been an issue since the dawn of the game and one customer service never bothered to help others with.

If I can't do story, then what's the point of playing something about story?

The ability to conclude Heroic quests via NPC conversation has been removed.

Vendors and their unique gear have been removed.

The game is so easy, it's boring. Even story bosses die easy, and now Heroics are soloable - therefore nullifying the entire purpose of Heroics. I remember the joy of having an active planetary chat, when people grouped up to complete Heroics together. It was immersive and fun. I also fondly recall the gripping tension of saving the world from a story boss. Now I only have to breathe in their general direction.

Meanwhile, we (even as subscribers) are constantly bombarded by cash shop items and whatnot that can only be justifiable if the developers themselves are putting in adequate effort, but they're not. It's clear that someone up top does not care about us or the game.

I feel like I have hardly scratched the surface.

There are some good things though. 4.0 made Datacrons Legacy-wide. It also gave us awesome looking gear that most of my characters wear. I wouldn't want to know what they would have ended up with if these clothing were never made. 5.0 gave us repeatable chapters. But it still could be taken a step further.

Allow all items to be unlocked in the Collections tab, regardless of whether or not the whole set has been completed and regardless if they are even Cartel items.

Make Codex entries Legacy-wide.

Make previous expansion stories and class stories repeatable. Heck, make all quests repeatable. Leveling doesn't mean anything anymore, right?

It breaks my heart to turn away from something that has so much potential and something that I loved, but I can't keep fooling myself. I have to turn away before I spend any more money on -- and therefore give my support to -- false promises and illusions of grandeur.

My advice would be to get off your asses (excuse the foul language, please) and improve the game. Add content, fix bugs. Trying to enjoy this game is like running a gauntlet. Enjoying something should come naturally. I shouldn't have to force myself to do it. I feel like I am trotting through an empty hallway that hasn't been lived in for quite sometime, admiring what's left and wondering why it's been left in the cold.

This is my final attempt to improve a game that I really want to play. I will come back if things change, and I hope to God that they do, so please take my advice if you are willing.

I mean, I would still play every now and then if the subscription fee wasn't technically enforced. There is no real reason to subscribe, but there are so many limitations I literally can't play the game without subscribing. I can't justify paying for shoddy work.

Though my subscription is still running...

I guess I just can't be bothered to even waste my time on shoddy work, assuming any work is being put into the game at all at this point.

Who would want to care about something the developers or publishers themselves don't care about? I feel like I need to get off this ship before it sinks, otherwise I will be wasting my time.

I never cared much about story only found it mildly amusing. I always was a PVPer, 100%. Ironically, many of your other problems with the game, I 100% agree with.

It's amazing over time, how the people running the development of this game have literally run it into the ground.

I don't blame the devs.

People always like to blame the devs but it's clear they are being guided to focus and work on facets that truly make no sense to me as a longtime MMO gamer.

Sure, devs can be blamed for some of the bugs and technical issues we run into but honestly if they are being driven to work on other parts of the game, like cartel market gears and items, or a brand new RNG based gearing system, how can they even begin to have time to fix some of the bugs that exist?

I just think they are forced to put their attention on other areas of the game and sadly most of those other areas are not conducive to making the game enjoyable and longlasting with content that has high replayability.

Anyway, you are hardly alone in your thoughts and feelings on the matter.

I am not a dev or a representative of this company so I realize me saying this doesn't make much of a difference or help you feel any better, but I am sorry you feel so disappointed and sad.

I too hope the game turns around, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Lhancelot

Instead of trolling, since you put a lot of thought into it, I'll actually respond in a normal manner.

I know SWTOR is a computer program, and so you can't make a story THAT open ended, but it became clear in many instances that choices simply didn't matter. Even in the class story, you'd make a light side choice that SHOULD have resulted in a benefit for the Empire, but then you never see the benefit or have it mentioned again. All it was about was changing your light or dark side focus, which of course had no impact on your powers like they did in the console game version.

Then came budget cuts, and the story had to be merged into one. I liked Rise of the Hutt Cartel, at least they mention the special isotope helping the Imperial ships in KOFE, but of course not enough to make a difference. Everywhere I turned, I made this choice, or that choice, and it just never mattered beyond a few NPC phrases and a light or dark gain, which mattered only to a vendor and some gear restrictions. All these choices, and the outcomes are almost identical and you can barely notice what impact it had. What happens if you give an inspiring speech or not? Besides different words, do things turn out differently? Why does my wife not really care about seeing me after five years?

And to the point about the voice actors saying something different than the choice shown, I don't expect them to go hire the voice actors and fix it, they should just change the text shown (it's a lot faster, easier and cheaper to do). That way, i know what the true options are.

In the end, I think the developers were surprised to what customers expected when they said "choices matter", and we really expected it to matter. I think they were also surprised how much players liked their companions and the story behind them. Look at how often people complain about losing some of them, others not returning or some not remembering their romance/marriage.

I actually agree to some points being made, but my personally biggest "hit" was the loss of tinkering.

Every got streamlined so much - like cars nowadays. You literally cannot tell a car model from the other car model in some cases, so much semilar are they looking nowadays.

On the other hand, the verdict on the old Ultima games is now "Unplayable !"

SWTOR looks to me now like a fast food restaurant.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.