MELEE vs RANGED

Alex_York

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02:

Having a 6 second cc immunity is the only thing that fury has over the other two DCD wise, next to 6 second defense chance increase after using furious strike, both of these are offensive cool downs and require a target. So in reality if you have no target you have no more chance of survival than the other two specs.

That will never make a life or death difference like you're trying to mention.

Except I actually tried it in ranked and saw the difference unlike you i'm not just speculating. 6 seconds cc immunity is used right after you leap and use Force Crush, in those 6 seconds you won't be globaled and then you pop your saber ward + 6 sec immune, thats 12 seconds of you not getting stunned, double. Which with some players who don't see you being immune using all stuns up to that point. In other spec you can be stunned and globalled easily, and you as mara don't have anything to pop in CC (unlike juggs with enrage and mercs with reflect and sorcs with bubble etc. etc. etc.)

Except I actually tried it in ranked and saw the difference unlike you i'm not just speculating. 6 seconds cc immunity is used right after you leap and use Force Crush, in those 6 seconds you won't be globaled and then you pop your saber ward + 6 sec immune, thats 12 seconds of you not getting stunned, double. Which with some players who don't see you being immune using all stuns up to that point. In other spec you can be stunned and globalled easily, and you as mara don't have anything to pop in CC (unlike juggs with enrage and mercs with reflect and sorcs with bubble etc. etc. etc.)

Proper use of cool downs, that every spec has available to them.. hmm. I'm not speculating, the fact you assume that I am is just rude. I've done plenty ranked, majority in 3.0 at that time I would probably agree furys cc immunity is a must during those times of everyone getting killed in 5seconds or less. Now that is not the case.

Ranged is just too OP now its a *********** joke its not even fair any more and its making people so mad that they don't even want to play the game. So just carry on and see how many people are playing this MMO in a month! Edited by Razortron

Ranged is just too OP now its a *********** joke its not even fair any more and its making people so mad that they don't even want to play the game. So just carry on and see how many people are playing this MMO in a month!

Ranged is fine kid

no need to get emotional

You should probably stop hitting them when their shield is up.

ROFLMAO This is rich, poetic justice a jug complaining about what is in essence ED ROFL. Whats a matter don't like it when target gets heal to full? Aside from the irony always said ED should be capped at 15% of max health! If not then give other Dps classes the same ability to heal to full via a similar mechanic(oh don't like that gee why am i not surprised) your a DPS spec not a tank spec heal to full shouldn't even be possible. While it is easy to counter i.e. don't attack the jugg/ merc there are numerous mechanics that make this difficult. Bubble princess's shield's if present obscure visual, Merc's if i'm not mistaken have to spend utility points in order to get shield heal there is no visual to differentiate between those that have it and those that don't. Trying to see tiny icons that are in constant flux whilst in the middle of a PVP match is rather difficult. Always remember lag could be a factor i could go n but i trust i made my point. Both of these classes even sniper's when chosen as DPS should according to the trinity be glass cannon's neither are though I will admit jugs have come down a bit.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

CC Immunity, Carnage or Anni will not help you survive if you have 2-3 mercs in enemy team and you're the target number one. You will die, and you will die FAST.

which means the real issue is the influx of merc's! remove the heal and watch the merc's stop queing because their i win class is gone!

So what is it? Melee underpowered or ranged classes over powered? Mercs are op and snipers are up there, they not only have an advantage of range, but also are extremely mobile and have enormous damage and survivability. You can't have all. Are you even recognizing a problem here? Some classes are cannon fodder right now like Juggernauts, Sorcs and PTs and If you're a mara in anything except Fury spec (thx CC immunity) you are dead after your undying expires. Meanwhile Snipers are immune to CC, dish out crazy dmg, have rolls and are extremely mobile, can't be charged and have 3% passive heal. Mercs are well, you know how it is with them. OP's are not as big of a problem with fixed countermeasures. Sins are kinda alright now without stance bug. So what are you gonna do BioWare? Nerfing is not the answer, bring all the classes to Merc \ Sniper level and actually pay attention to BALANCE.

won't see me getting on jug band wagon as them being cannon fodder. (They are DPS huge DPS means glass cannon) and still way to much survival for my tastes(mainly ED). but I agree with mercs as op. Bioware has lost sight of trinity if you are DPS you are a glass cannon. If you are a hybrid then your dps shouldn't come close to what pure DPS specs put out! This goes for both jugs and merc's so make up your mind do you want huge dmg potential but be a glass cannon or do you want medium dmg but longer up time. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BOTH! FYI any ability that heals to full based on others attacking is an automatic heal to full and as such should not even be implemented on classes that are not tanks! I could actually get behind this if this was for the tank build but not DPS!

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

So what is it? Melee underpowered or ranged classes over powered? Mercs are op and snipers are up there, they not only have an advantage of range, but also are extremely mobile and have enormous damage and survivability. You can't have all. Are you even recognizing a problem here? Some classes are cannon fodder right now like Juggernauts, Sorcs and PTs and If you're a mara in anything except Fury spec (thx CC immunity) you are dead after your undying expires. Meanwhile Snipers are immune to CC, dish out crazy dmg, have rolls and are extremely mobile, can't be charged and have 3% passive heal. Mercs are well, you know how it is with them. OP's are not as big of a problem with fixed countermeasures. Sins are kinda alright now without stance bug. So what are you gonna do BioWare? Nerfing is not the answer, bring all the classes to Merc \ Sniper level and actually pay attention to BALANCE.

won't see me getting on jug band wagon as them being cannon fodder. (They are DPS huge DPS means glass cannon) and still way to much survival for my tastes(mainly ED). but I agree with mercs as op. Bioware has lost sight of trinity if you are DPS you are a glass cannon. If you are a hybrid then your dps shouldn't come close to what pure DPS specs put out! This goes for both jugs and merc's so make up your mind do you want huge dmg potential but be a glass cannon or do you want medium dmg but longer up time. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BOTH! FYI any ability that heals to full based on others attacking is an automatic heal to full and as such should not even be implemented on classes that are not tanks! I could actually get behind this if this was for the tank build but not DPS!

I would like to assure you sir, that the only mobile Sniper is Eng sniper. With MM you pretty much have to be a static cannon.

which means the real issue is the influx of merc's! remove the heal and watch the merc's stop queing because their i win class is gone!

I was queing with my mando back in 4.0 were there was no reflect at all. I always enjoy the class but the main problem is not heal but class stacking.

If the game had a serious matchmaking then all will be ok. But having 6 mercs across you is just pure domination even if you re mando.

Melee are in bad place only for that. If you re a merc and a melle approach you is very difficult to defend even with the reflect. If from the other hand a melle approach you but in your team exist 4 more mercs and a sniper, then this melee will melt in seconds...

No need to talk about heal present...

I would like to assure you sir, that the only mobile Sniper is Eng sniper. With MM you pretty much have to be a static cannon.

snipers give their opponents forced mobility. as in they continuously knock you back every other move then once their kb's are on cd, they roll off to do it all again. then if you manage to get them low, they roll off and set up there defensives making you less able to hit them, doing a lot less damage when you do, healing themselves over time, while continuing to blow your face off.

I was queing with my mando back in 4.0 were there was no reflect at all. I always enjoy the class but the main problem is not heal but class stacking.

If the game had a serious matchmaking then all will be ok. But having 6 mercs across you is just pure domination even if you re mando.

Melee are in bad place only for that. If you re a merc and a melle approach you is very difficult to defend even with the reflect. If from the other hand a melle approach you but in your team exist 4 more mercs and a sniper, then this melee will melt in seconds...

No need to talk about heal present...

Mercs in addition to their defenses have a root, a slow, a push back, an immunity to movement impairing effects, an escape and a stun. I can quite literally kite a melee all day long on my merc.

I think they are pretty much ok. Except the snipers massive defenses. Orbital strike on yourself and any melee getting near you has to deal with that additional damage and the huge single target output. I would like to see a dig out of cover button for non stealth melee though. I am not a fan of more and more utilities but I think this one is needed. Only a sniper can get another sniper out of cover. If maras (because they are pure dps and a chase down class) and maybe jugs (not played one to much recently so depends on their defenses) had a single target ability to make the sniper move from their Aoe storms (most add a grenade) while blasting you with heavy single target, it would solve most problems.

Snipers dcds have got so powerful that not being able to jump to them when they are in cover has become an issue as well. Cover and ballistic shield was the best of both. Protection from melee protection from ranged, however most snipers forgot to move at all so they get more defences. A sniper that remembers to shoot and move now armed with so many stuns, knockbacks etc and cover has really become a hard target.

So dig utility or maybe a jump to cover utility point strapped to existing movement speed points would bring the sniper back into line. Then they can keep the hard hitting damage for me but otherwise I'd vote severe damage nerf to all but MM.

Mercs are fine. Now they are a challenge instead of easy pickings. Balance is in a fairly good place right now. All classes fine for regs and okish in ranked. Just minor tweaks to sorc healers, the sniper thing as above, and maybe make the pt hit a little harder to make up for the lack of defences. And of course Operatives really need a heavy nerf stick

Edited by Purgamentorum

Mercs in addition to their defenses have a root, a slow, a push back, an immunity to movement impairing effects, an escape and a stun. I can quite literally kite a melee all day long on my merc.

40% slow or 4sec root and a knockback is not much to kite anyone around for too long.

If you master the class you can do it to an average melee player but is very hard to do it with someone that is master in his melee class.

Edited by Sotmax

Snipers dcds have got so powerful that not being able to jump to them when they are in cover has become an issue as well.

I agree with this one. Just remove the whole cover mechanic. At this point its completely impossible to kill a sniper with a melee. There is just no way you could win a 1vs1. So let melees at least charge them, sniper will still be good enough.

I agree with this one. Just remove the whole cover mechanic. At this point its completely impossible to kill a sniper with a melee. There is just no way you could win a 1vs1. So let melees at least charge them, sniper will still be good enough.

Or a timer in cover. Tbh they cant move n shoot so they have to be in balance.

Sorc's Ranged damage is actually perfect given their healing and kiting potential. It should be a base to aim for for all ranged classes

You do know how squishy they usually are up close, right? I saved an arena last night by getting my team to overwhelm the sniper (who is an amazing sniper and really good) each round because I knew, up close and focused he wouldn't stand a chance and we managed to win despite one player's doomsaying. If he had the ranged damage of a DPS Sorc, he wouldn't have been a priority but like the two DPS sages, someone we kill because they're annoying but an easy kill.

That would turn ranged classes into a joke. As full disclosure, I have one ranged DPS, my Lightning Sorcerer since I favour melee or healing so I'm not defending ranged classes as someone who uses them heavily in warzones. I just know they're soft and gooey when I get in their personal space and their defensives and DPS as it is (DPS Mercs need their DCDs nerfed, not their damage) are what make them at all viable in PvP.

This game, and all games should have 1 set a stats for PVP and one for PVE, most balance problems seem to come from that,

No the problem is the devs wanted us all to feel the problem bringing light sabers into a gun fight / ranged expanstion.

Edited by falkron-kerupt

I think they are pretty much ok. Except the snipers massive defenses. Orbital strike on yourself and any melee getting near you has to deal with that additional damage and the huge single target output. I would like to see a dig out of cover button for non stealth melee though. I am not a fan of more and more utilities but I think this one is needed. Only a sniper can get another sniper out of cover. If maras (because they are pure dps and a chase down class) and maybe jugs (not played one to much recently so depends on their defenses) had a single target ability to make the sniper move from their Aoe storms (most add a grenade) while blasting you with heavy single target, it would solve most problems.

Snipers dcds have got so powerful that not being able to jump to them when they are in cover has become an issue as well. Cover and ballistic shield was the best of both. Protection from melee protection from ranged, however most snipers forgot to move at all so they get more defences. A sniper that remembers to shoot and move now armed with so many stuns, knockbacks etc and cover has really become a hard target.

So dig utility or maybe a jump to cover utility point strapped to existing movement speed points would bring the sniper back into line. Then they can keep the hard hitting damage for me but otherwise I'd vote severe damage nerf to all but MM.

Mercs are fine. Now they are a challenge instead of easy pickings. Balance is in a fairly good place right now. All classes fine for regs and okish in ranked. Just minor tweaks to sorc healers, the sniper thing as above, and maybe make the pt hit a little harder to make up for the lack of defences. And of course Operatives really need a heavy nerf stick

Orbital strike's damage is pretty much negligible on a single target. It does about the same damage as 1 frag grenade the last time I checked (idk about engi though).

Entrench needs a nerf, though. Either a higher CD, or a lower duration, because not being able to stun the sniper on top of not being able to interrupt them for what can be like what, 60 seconds? is ridiculous.

Additionally, Evasion for snipers is crazy good. Probably the best short-term DCD in the game - 100% white dmg dodge, 75% yellow DR for up to 5 seconds.

Edited by QuiveringPotato

You do know how squishy they usually are up close, right? I saved an arena last night by getting my team to overwhelm the sniper (who is an amazing sniper and really good) each round because I knew, up close and focused he wouldn't stand a chance and we managed to win despite one player's doomsaying. If he had the ranged damage of a DPS Sorc, he wouldn't have been a priority but like the two DPS sages, someone we kill because they're annoying but an easy kill.

That would turn ranged classes into a joke. As full disclosure, I have one ranged DPS, my Lightning Sorcerer since I favour melee or healing so I'm not defending ranged classes as someone who uses them heavily in warzones. I just know they're soft and gooey when I get in their personal space and their defensives and DPS as it is (DPS Mercs need their DCDs nerfed, not their damage) are what make them at all viable in PvP.

But it does take nearly the whole arena team to focus a sniper down, especially if they are good and have a healer. If you don't get them fast they pump out a huge amount of damage.

I think the 35m range for them is a bit much, it takes a lot of kiting on my Sorc to even put pressure on them and killing them solo is nearly impossible. If the sniper is smart, all he needs to do is find a 35m kill zone with no LOS around and Sorcs are neutralised. That's pretty much the same for snipers against a lot of melee. The only melee that can get close to a sniper are Maras and Stealths. Out of those, only a Rage Mara can stay on them constantly to pressure.

I think snipers only need their range reduced to 30m so they are the same as all other ranged, which puts all ranged on an even playing field.