What rotation do you use for Gunnery?

Freeborne

Seems at end game the challenge for commando is keeping yourself in a good rotation so your ammo level doesn't drop very low and regens at a dependable rate.

I haven't really crunched the numbers yet. I've just been going with my gut to find the best balance. What do you use?

At 39, against boss type targets I find myself doing:

Grav Round x 3 (To get a full staff of the debuff)

High Impact Bolt

Full Auto

Hammer Shot x 2

Grav Round (To refresh the debuff before it falls off)

Then I continue to juggle High Impact Bolt, Fully Auto as they're CDs come up, keeping Grav Rounds refreshed, and Hammershots inbetween so my regen doesn't go to crap.

What about you?

Note: I'm 1 point again from Demolition Round, so I haven't worked that into my rotation yet.

Wow, redirecting me to your troll comment, how helpful!

It's trolling? Inflate your bars with whatever you feel necessary, but the bottom line is grav round is a massive hit which ad hears to the 1.5sec gcd and is the most efficient way to produce dps.

It's trolling? Inflate your bars with whatever you feel necessary, but the bottom line is grav round is a massive hit which ad hears to the 1.5sec gcd and is the most efficient way to produce dps.

That is incorrect. Demo round hits harder on a 5 stacked target, as does Full Auto with curtain of fire proccing.

There is a method to Gunnery DPS that is more than just spamming grav round.

That is, of course, assuming you're interested in achieving 'max dps' and not just 'dps'.

I generally use this combo, with an extra Hammer Shot or so thrown in. Seems to manage Ammo pretty well for me. We will see in a couple levels when I have Demo Round.

Grav Round x2

Full Auto

Charged Bolts

Hammer Shot

Grav Round

<--- Demo Round planned location

High Impact Bolt

Then start over...

I also use some CC abilities like Concussion Charge and Cryo Grenade as needed. :)

Right now at level 29 for single target soloing I do

Grav Round

Cryo-grenade

Full Auto

High Impact Bolt

then spam Grav Round and use HIB off cooldown.

Thus far that has been working well for me, but once I get the grav round debuff boosting talent I'll probably change up my rotation to do 2 grav rounds prior to the Cryo-nade because 4 stacks will yield more DPS than the 1 I have now when I throw teh cryo, but I do it early so Elara will shoot during the stun timer as well adding a little DPS there currently.

I generally use this combo, with an extra Hammer Shot or so thrown in. Seems to manage Ammo pretty well for me. We will see in a couple levels when I have Demo Round.

Grav Round x2

Full Auto

Charged Bolts

Hammer Shot

Grav Round

<--- Demo Round planned location

High Impact Bolt

Then start over...

I also use some CC abilities like Concussion Charge and Cryo Grenade as needed. :)

You shouldn't be using Charged Bolts as Gunnery once you get Grav Round. While Charged Bolts can proc Curtain of Fire, it doesn't stack Charged Barrel and doesn't proc Cell Charger. It may do slightly more damage, but nerfs other abilities and ammo regen.

That is incorrect. Demo round hits harder on a 5 stacked target, as does Full Auto with curtain of fire proccing.

There is a method to Gunnery DPS that is more than just spamming grav round.

That is, of course, assuming you're interested in achieving 'max dps' and not just 'dps'.

Apologies.

Bind half your keyboard to demo round, commence the faceroll.

Its more of a priority for me than a rotation.

The two things I look out for are my ammo levels and my Curtain of Fire proc, so...

• If Ammo is less than 50% then Hammer Shot + ammo recover abilities until full ammo.
  • If Curtain of Fire is proc'd then Full Auto

After that my goal is to get Grav Round stacks to 5, at which point my priority looks like this

1. High Impact Bolt
  2. Demolition Round

My filler ability is Grav Round, which is spammed until one of the conditions above is met.

Lvl 42 Gunnery Commando.

My rotation PvE:

-Full Auto - Get this on cool down for Grav Round proc.

**Grav Round Loop**

-Grav Round

----If it procs Full Auto *chance of regen (cell charger)

-Grav Round

-Hammer Shot -Regen

-Grav Round

-Hammer Shot *Regen

-High Impact Bolt

-Demo Round

-Hammer Shot *Regen

*Rinse and Repeat with Hammer Shot as needed.

I can typically sustain a champion fight with this roation using recharge once.

-Aethyn

Edited by Aethyn

You shouldn't be using Charged Bolts as Gunnery once you get Grav Round. While Charged Bolts can proc Curtain of Fire, it doesn't stack Charged Barrel and doesn't proc Cell Charger. It may do slightly more damage, but nerfs other abilities and ammo regen.

Awesome. Thanks for the insight! I just figured I should make the most out of it with CB, but it has an excruciatingly long activation timer...lol

So, here is the next question I have.

As a Gunnery spec commando, is there any real usefulness in using any other abilities for anything other than one off attacks?

For instance...

Plasma Grenade

Sticky Grenade

Hail of Bolts

Explosive Round

Pulse Cannon

I can see using things like Mortar Volley to quickly take out small packs of low end mobs, but most of our abilities no longer matter once you get set in your standard rotation, or am I off base here?

As a Gunnery spec commando, is there any real usefulness in using any other abilities for anything other than one off attacks?

For instance...

Plasma Grenade

Sticky Grenade

Hail of Bolts

Explosive Round

Pulse Cannon

I can see using things like Mortar Volley to quickly take out small packs of low end mobs, but most of our abilities no longer matter once you get set in your standard rotation, or am I off base here?

Explosive Round is the only one I've found no use for. The rest are good AE abilities depending on how the mobs are positioned (plasma grenade has a slightly greater AE range than sticky and takes out all normals for the duration, whereas sticky has a faster cooldown, etc).

My typical all normal/weak mob 'rotation' is to do mortar round then one or two hail of bolts depending on how many are left alive. Then next pack do plasma grenade and sticky grenade on one target and lay a hail of bolts on them, when the booms go off everything dies typically.

I save pulse cannon for a bunch of melee mobs up in my face, as it has the greatest damage to ammo usage for an AE, just terrible range.

Edited by hadoken

For instance...

Plasma Grenade

Sticky Grenade

Hail of Bolts

Explosive Round

Pulse Cannon

PvE

Groups of regular mobs - Plasma Grenade, they all stand there burning. Mortar round them all down.

Sticky grenade I use for that one pesky guy off to the side not grouped with the others.

Hail of Bolts is not on my quick bar.

Explosive round I use to keep that regular melee guy from getting to me. Just keep knocking him down.

Pulse cannon I use when Plasma and Mortar round are down.

PvP

Plasma grenade enemies cluttered around objective clickies.

Pulse canon around objectives that need clicking.

-Aethyn

At least I am using some of these abilities as I should. I did just learn a new use for Plasma Grenade at least. I just find myself running my rotation a lot more than anything else here. The occasional usage of other abilities thrown in here and there...but that's about it.