OBS Studio Video Capture (Not Streaming)

CJ_Arcturus

Hi All,

I'm starting to experiment with capturing elements of SWTOR via video. I have FRAPS Free which allows me 30 second snippets for free. However I was advised to use OBS Studio for longer ones.

I have tried using hotkeys but to no avail, the videos do not seem to save.

I play SWTOR Fullscreen (not windowed), so I don't know if that's the issue but the last attempt had the right length of time for the video but it was just a black visual.

Can anyone offer tips/advice please?

Thanks!

Can anyone offer tips/advice please?

A quick google suggests turning off hardware accelerator within windows.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/solved-windows-10-black-screen-on-game-captures.45213/

Maybe someone else can offer up a suggestion. More details like in that link provided might be helpful.

Edited by dr_mike

Thank you, I'll take a look. I tried various search engine queries, but I think my Brain Fog kicked in and I couldn't make sense of it. I'll check out your links - thanks for taking the time to reply!

You might also try running OBS as administrator. I have to run both Steam (for the overlay) and Teamspeak as administrator to get them to work.

Twitch has a nice step by step tutorial on setting up OBS. It's not too badly out of date.

In general it's easiest to get OBS to capture nicely by running the target program in windowed mode and capturing the window. So for SWTOR I usually run SWTOR in fullscreen windowed mode ( and this helps with some combat logging programs and alt tabbing without getting a loading screen every time).

For monitor capture I had to google instructions and fool around with Windows compatibility mode. You also need to match x32 or x64 versions of OBS to your computer's architecture for this to work. Apparently OBS is set up for Windows 7 so this is needed in many cases on machines running Windows 8 or 10.

I haven't gotten direct game capture to work for me yet, but with two methods that work well, I haven't really tried.

Once you have OBS reading from the window or capturing the monitor, just hit the record button instead of the streaming button. This will write to the hard drive and not attempt to stream. When streaming OBS by default automatically writes a copy of the video to the HD, so it's worth checking now and then to clean out whatever you have set as the destination folder so old videos don't take up too much space.

If your CPU has integrated graphics a nice trick is to use your video card's GPU to run the game and the integrated graphics to do the video encoding for OBS. Helps keep the game's framerate from taking a hit.

Edit: OBS has a LOT of things to configure, so finding a good tutorial to read or watch is almost mandatory if you want to get it working well without taking too much time.

Edited by Ramalina

In general it's easiest to get OBS to capture nicely by running the target program in windowed mode and capturing the window. So for SWTOR I usually run SWTOR in fullscreen windowed mode ( and this helps with some combat logging programs and alt tabbing without getting a loading screen every time).

I may have to try Windowed then. I had it full-screen as it eliminated all other distractions (e.g. Twitter!) to focus on playing. But I can amend the settings when I want to record and flick them back.

If your CPU has integrated graphics a nice trick is to use your video card's GPU to run the game and the integrated graphics to do the video encoding for OBS. Helps keep the game's framerate from taking a hit.

I'll have a look - hardware isn't really my forte, but I'll see what I can dig up, thanks!

@OP - If you're willing to try experimenting with various video capture software, I'd definitely recommend 'Bandicam'. This past month I've finally begun recording SWTOR game-play myself, and have been using the aforementioned program quite regularly.

Anyhow, (like FRAPS) Bandicam offers a trial version as well, where you can record up-to "10 minute" vids with included watermark on the top screen. Heck, I even dropped the $39 bucks for the registered version (which is a fair price) and have been satisfied overall with the ease-of-use and solid video quality.

Edited by lymphangioma

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I know this has probably already been answered, but I found this thread when I was looking for a solution for my self so...

This works for both OBS & Streamlabs OBS: Run as Administrator.

This should solve the issue where the OBS clients cannot capture the game, and instead show a black window.

Edited by sllion