Dear children of the forums

ippollite

I was initially planning on pointing out that as a teacher of middle and elementary school you exhibit more attention seeking behaviour and self entitlement than a 6 year old.

But then on my bike ride into work it occured to me.

I am massively jealous.

You see, my generation are but one generation away from a time when meritocracy was an empty concept. We were one of the first generations to spawn you lot. We were taught to fight for our place in the world and that if we worked really really really hard we might end up in middle management and with a comfortable retirement. What it also taught us though was that we should be happy with our lot in life and a small modest increase in status or value is the true indication of success. I should also stress im scottish, and we are a dour people. :)

You guys though are the age of our kids, and youve been brought up to kick and scream and stamp your feet until you get your way. We did that. And the reason we taught you that is because we realised that meritocracy had no more genuine impact on our lives than the chain of being. Only the detritus floats. We resent the ideology we were fed so we taught you how to resist its wiley seductions.

So although we hate that you are all these awful, simply awful little pleasure machines, we realise it was the only way to help you stay free from the shackles that we chose to be bound by.

Though we have no relation to you as human beings and though we cannot understand how you can stomp all over anyone elses face to get your way, we can still admire it and wish we had the lack of empathy or understanding of others to do the same thing.

Grab what you can you screaming toddlers, because in the end of the day, no ones giving it to you.

Edited by ippollite

I was initially planning on pointing out that as a teacher of middle and elementary school you exhibit more attention seeking behaviour and self entitlement than a 6 year old.

But then on my bike ride into work it occured to me.

I am massively jealous.

You see, my generation are but one generation away from a time when meritocracy was an empty concept. We were one of the first generations to spawn you lot. We were taught to fight for our place in the world and that if we worked really really really hard we might end up in middle management and with a comfortable retirement. What it also taught us though was that we should be happy with our lot in life and a small modest increase in status or value is the true indication of success. I should also stress im scottish, and we are a dour people. :)

You guys though are the age of our kids, and youve been brought up to kick and scream and stamp your feet until you get your way. We did that. And the reason we taught you that is because we realised that meritocracy had no more genuine impact on our lives than the chain of being. Only the detritus floats. We resent the ideology we were fed so we taught you how to resist its wiley seductions.

So although we hate that you are all these awful, simply awful little pleasure machines, we realise it was the only way to help you stay free from the shackles that we chose to be bound by.

Though we have no relation to you as human beings and though we cannot understand how you can stomp all over anyone elses face to get your way, we can still admire it and wish we had the lack of empathy or understanding of others to do the same thing.

Grab what you can you screaming toddlers, because in the end of the day, no ones giving it to you.

Still wiping the tears from my eyes. I was trying to find my favorite bit but it's all awesome.:D

Hello Everyone,

While we do understand that people can certainly become frustrated with the community at times, threads such as this are typically non-constructive and do not help matters. As such, we'll be closing the thread at this time.

We ask that folks be more patient with each other and with the forum, and better assist with creating a good community through productive discussion. Thanks for your understanding.