Change the Chiss Jedi's name

Pscyon

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/chiss-names.php#.V-LBfiQdBhE

So for Ranos it would be something like;

Honor'ano'stryker

Assuming that the naming convention linked above is correct.

Yes, that would be a realistic name for what we know of the Chiss but the first and last part of the name could easy be different but a good example all the same. So basically the Jedi Master is using her "core name". Assuming Disney stay with what was established in the EU. All we really know so far is that in the "new" timeline the Chiss are still around. How much of there history will be rewritten still remains to be seen.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/chiss-names.php#.V-LBfiQdBhE

So for Ranos it would be something like;

Honor'ano'stryker

Assuming that the naming convention linked above is correct.

Thank you for that explanation.

I'd still vote for a family name connected to Thrawn, though. :D

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I'm saying the name doesn't sound very Chiss. Because when I hear "Ranos" I first think "vamos" which is some Spanish word. Then I immediately think "Hey, isn't that the annoying brutish green jedi?" and I imagine the poor woman wearing that ridiculous Queen Amidala jedi garb in green. I guess most people won't make the former association, but the second isn't far-fetched to anyone who's played TOR through the Imperial campaign. Now tell me, does "dumb, angry, smashy jedi" sound very Chiss to you? Are Chiss just space orks?

No, it doesn't sound very Chiss. That's true. But there can be dozens of reasons: early adoption by non-Chiss parents, lack of interest in her Chiss heritage due to her Jedi training, a nickname to make her name easier to pronounce or spell...

Your second point for not liking the name is totally legit, though. But too personal to have any impact in the game. And now I kind of hate you because it has come to my mind other Spanish word: Rabos. Now I can't unsee Master Rabos :rak_mad: Stuff of nightmares... XD

Edited by Jacob_Cora

Why they made a Chiss Jedi, of all things, is beyond me. The only thing worse would have been a Sith Pureblood Jedi. God knows there's enough of THOSE running around played by terrible RPers :rolleyes:

Then again, with the likes of KotFE, the writers seem to have stopped giving that much of a damn about lore...

Why they made a Chiss Jedi, of all things, is beyond me.

Probably something to do with a certain well known Chiss Admiral soon graduating to the realm of Canon

Then again, with the likes of KotFE, the writers seem to have stopped giving that much of a damn about lore...

Lore? Lore you say? How about, until this game scattered them all over Hoth, there weren't supposed to BE any Chiss outside of the Unknown Regions? Bioware playing fast and loose with lore goes way back before KOTFE.

Lore? Lore you say? How about, until this game scattered them all over Hoth, there weren't supposed to BE any Chiss outside of the Unknown Regions? Bioware playing fast and loose with lore goes way back before KOTFE.

I would hazard a guess that the Imperials deliberately got Chiss involved on Hoth due to the nature of the climate there. Either way, I'm glad BioWare included them in SWTOR.

Seeing as we'll end up with the Light side winning the DvL event unfortunately, we'll be getting that Chiss Jedi companion. Since nothing ever gets changed or fixed after it goes live, I guess it's better to ask for it now, pre-emptively. Please change Ranos' name to... something else. For one, it doesn't sound very Chiss. Secondly, it's much too similar to that of Master Ramos, an angry, arrogant, useless, stupid-hat-wearing and just plain unlikeable green Jedi in the Imperial Corellia campaign.

I'm sure there's plenty of lore-savvy forumites that can come up with better and more fitting name suggestions, so knock yourselves out!

I'm hoping they'll at least include some dialog as to why her Core name is 'Ranos' (and what the entire name is, as well). They could have done much worse.

And I, for one, am pleased that we will (seemingly) get a companion race (chiss) that we don't yet have. Akaavi Spar has the red-skinned spiky-head department sewn up all nice and tidy, thanks very much. I wouldn't have bothered doing a power-rush to Eternal level if I thought I'd be saddled with a lightsaber-shaking zabrak goofball who will undoubtedly not possess even a tenth of Akaavi's personality.

I'm hoping they'll at least include some dialog as to why her Core name is 'Ranos' (and what the entire name is, as well). They could have done much worse.

"My name is Zat'nik'tel. O'Neil, though, calls me 'Ranos.' I think he cannot say Zat'nik'tel. Strange man. Odd obsession with fishing where there are no fish."

I would hazard a guess that the Imperials deliberately got Chiss involved on Hoth due to the nature of the climate there. Either way, I'm glad BioWare included them in SWTOR.

True, but they're not even supposed to know about them. They weren't "discovered" until between Episode I and II by the Republic.

Sure, it's possible that the Sith Empire knew about them and didn't share, but then Republic NPC's and players should react with suprise. "Who are these blue people?" and such. Instead they're just like "oh those are Chiss". This implies that the galaxy knew about them 3000 years before Outbound Flight, and just.... forgot?

Anyway all that being said, I don't see a problem with the name. Both the core name convention and the adopted name theory hold true. I'm hoping for some back story at least.

True, but they're not even supposed to know about them. They weren't "discovered" until between Episode I and II by the Republic.

Sure, it's possible that the Sith Empire knew about them and didn't share, but then Republic NPC's and players should react with suprise. "Who are these blue people?" and such. Instead they're just like "oh those are Chiss". This implies that the galaxy knew about them 3000 years before Outbound Flight, and just.... forgot?

Anyway all that being said, I don't see a problem with the name. Both the core name convention and the adopted name theory hold true. I'm hoping for some back story at least.

I figure it's just one more thing lost to the galactic knowledge base in the roughly 3000 years between TOR and the Battle of Tavin

Hmm, from what I recall about Chiss culture, there are four main "ruling families" in the Ascendancy. Granted, this may be subject to change given the ~3000 years between now and the Battle of Yavin, as well as Disney changing a lot of the canon, but otherwise, the four main families are Csapla, Nuruodo, Inrokini, and Sabosen.

Given what we know about how the Chiss core names work (Last letter of the first name, full second name, first letter of the third name i.e. Weith'aske'nuruodo=Thasken), I strongly suspect that Jedi Master Ranos would have been a part of the Sabosen clan. Given that the Sabosen clan oversees justice, public health, and education, this seems like an ideal fit for someone who would end up walking the path of a Jedi.

Once again, this is just a theory on my part.

Hmm, from what I recall about Chiss culture, there are four main "ruling families" in the Ascendancy. Granted, this may be subject to change given the ~3000 years between now and the Battle of Yavin, as well as Disney changing a lot of the canon, but otherwise, the four main families are Csapla, Nuruodo, Inrokini, and Sabosen.

Given what we know about how the Chiss core names work (Last letter of the first name, full second name, first letter of the third name i.e. Weith'aske'nuruodo=Thasken), I strongly suspect that Jedi Master Ranos would have been a part of the Sabosen clan. Given that the Sabosen clan oversees justice, public health, and education, this seems like an ideal fit for someone who would end up walking the path of a Jedi.

Once again, this is just a theory on my part.

Pretty good theory though :D

Well, Mon Calamari have a similar problem, if I recall this correctly ?

I figure it's just one more thing lost to the galactic knowledge base in the roughly 3000 years between TOR and the Battle of Tavin

I wonder if a systematic purging of information might have taken place at some point, by the Chiss or by an enemy of theirs?