Sell Arma Rasa/HK-55 recovery mission for 2- 5$ on web as digital extension of Kotfe.

REVAN_cz

I honestly think that tryng to blackmail current players into staying subbed, while it might have worked in your case, is a terrible long-term strategy since alienating new players is exactly what you do NOT want to do if you want an online game to be successful.

Ah, yes, the victim card and the claims that those who actually met the criteria to receive that BONUS CHAPTER were "blackmailed" while those that did not meet the criteria (for whatever reason) are "being punished".

Is the sports team that uses a promotion giving <X> item to the first 1500 customers through the gate "blackmailing" those customers?

Is the fan convention that has guests who will be making appearances and signing autographs "blackmailing" their fan base?

Were football fans "blackmailed" into spending thousands of dollars to go to the super bowl?

No. Offering a promotion is not "blackmailing". It is not "blackmail" to reward those who meet certain criteria, even if that criteria is simply buying a ticket or being subscribed at the correct time.

Not being rewarded is not "being punished".

Offering incentive for subscribers on the other hand is a great choice and this got me thinking. Adding a few more low-effort chapters like this for more companions would actually be a great way to hook subscribers if the same were offered as subscriber bonuses. It would also be a great way of bringing in characters that Bioware is too busy to put in the main chapters (Mako for instance.)

If I subscribe, I can get a new character and a special chapter explaining what they were doing lately. If I weren't subscribed already that would hook me in :)

Would I like to see more bonus chapters with various means of obtaining access to those chapters? Yes. I don't think that bonus chapters should be sold on the CM, but offering some bonus chapters for being subscribed during a specific periods of time, others for being subscribed for <X amount of total time>, maybe make some achievements reward access to bonus chapters that would expand upon, or continue, that achievement.

Would I like to see BW run veteran reward system alongside a "time specific" reward system going forward, with the two systems having similar but different rewards? Yes.

What is in the past is in the past.

IMO, it is best to try to convince BW to examine additional means of offering rewards going forward than to complain about what I didn't get in the past.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baron what's-his-name's helmet is a cosmetic item NOT a chapter of the game complete with story, voice acting, etc. All sorts of stuff that is exclusive eventually gets re-upped and this is certainly the right choice with a chapter of the game (as opposed to a minor cosmetic helmet.)

What "chapter" is it again?

It's a mission where you play as a companion instead of your character (which this game is built around). To answer my own question, it's the subscriber bonus reward chapter. Feel free to read the 4.7 Patch notes and see who qualifies for the bonus chapter.

I'm glad you're here to decide what qualifies as more important between a so-called "chapter" that has no number, relevance or significance in the main character's (i.e. the character we create to play on) storyline and a cosmetic item that the character we created can actually use to define its look.

No matter what subscriber rewards you have acquired along the way, the real HK-55 "dies" (memory core destroyed without anything backed up (reason explained by Lana)), never to return in KotFE Chapter VIII. A rebuilt facsimile is granted via an alliance alert and then (if qualified) you get to play one bonus level as that facsimile for a side story.

Just repeating myself here from another thread because it's even more relevant here-

This new 'Share the Love' event is a great example of bringing back the rewards from a contest that were called exclusive to that contest and making them available to current players that did not qualify to receive them the first time despite the clear and explicit terms from the old contest proving that old promotional materials can be reused with new terms, clear and explicitly.

Good going swtor devs.

I'm ok with it if they want to sell it for $120 and not provide the Zo-om companion to those who purchase it.

It is much more likely to be given away for free in a new promotion (like the reused promotional items from the current Share the Love event) or sold on the cartel market for much cheaper if they choose to sell it outright, despite former clear and explicit terms to long past promotions.

Edited by Monumenta

Just repeating myself here from another thread because it's even more relevant here-

This new 'Share the Love' event is a great example of bringing back the rewards from a contest that were called exclusive to that contest and making them available to current players that did not qualify to receive them the first time despite the clear and explicit terms from the old contest proving that old promotional materials can be reused with new terms, clear and explicitly.

Good going swtor devs.

Apples & Oranges.

Those promotional items were through a 3rd party and subject to whatever exclusivity arrangement they had with them.

For all we know, that could have stated that those rewards would be exclusive for 30 days and after that BioWare would be free to use them in its own promotions.

And for the record, this is not the first time that 3rd party rewards have been re-issued for players who were otherwise unable to obtain them when they were first offered and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Apples & Oranges.

Those promotional items were through a 3rd party and subject to whatever exclusivity arrangement they had with them.

For all we know, that could have stated that those rewards would be exclusive for 30 days and after that BioWare would be free to use them in its own promotions.

And for the record, this is not the first time that 3rd party rewards have been re-issued for players who were otherwise unable to obtain them when they were first offered and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Yeah. I'm not sure NVidia didn't totally botch that whole promo. I never did see anybody with the rewards. Most NVidia users aware of the promo met the criteria, but simply never received any codes via email. Were any even sent out?

Yeah. I'm not sure NVidia didn't totally botch that whole promo. I never did see anybody with the rewards. Most NVidia users aware of the promo met the criteria, but simply never received any codes via email. Were any even sent out?

Codes were sent out but they weren't delivered through email. You had to go into GeForce Experience and look at your notifications. Some people received multiple codes (like 5+); I remember reading one person on these forums saying they used one code, gave a couple to friends and sold about three more for in game credits. Most people received no code.

Codes were sent out but they weren't delivered through email. You had to go into GeForce Experience and look at your notifications. Some people received multiple codes (like 5+); I remember reading one person on these forums saying they used one code, gave a couple to friends and sold about three more for in game credits. Most people received no code.

I could have sworn we were told we would be notified via email (if we won).

Regardless of the reason (the failed nvidia promotion), the reuse of formerly exclusive rewards despite the clear and explicit terms dictated is what is relevant to this HK chapter conversation.

The issue of pandering to casuals who bragged about removing money from the game to get the same content, however, remains. Rewarding these people sets a very bad precedent.

Edited by CrazyCT

The issue of pandering to casuals who bragged about removing money from the game to get the same content, however, remains. Rewarding these people sets a very bad precedent.

OR, or... it is just a normal business as usual practice to reuse existing resources in additional promotions and those claiming it is not are living in a fantasy land of digital shiny exclusivity and are actually the ones attempting to pander to the devs to retain said (non existent) exclusivity. Good luck with your continued outrage.

Edited by Monumenta

As does the issue of proof that this is a tangible and relevant subset of players anyone should care about.

Indeed, nobody *should* care about them, which means their whining about wanting the bonus material should be ignored.

And I remember reading the "I'm unsubbing until it's all released" posts on these forums. I'm feeling lazy and rude tonight, so I won't provide examples, sorry. I'm also reluctant to say it's the same people who made those posts who are trying to get the chapter some other way.

....And I remember reading the "I'm unsubbing until it's all released" posts on these forums. I'm feeling lazy and rude tonight, so I won't provide examples, sorry. I'm also reluctant to say it's the same people who made those posts who are trying to get the chapter some other way.

Ohh yea....I knew we'd be seeing a LOT LOT of "please sell us the chapter" threads because of all of those threads.

That said....

The only way I'd be cool with giving that chapter is if BW releases a NEW chapter and offers it in conjunction with the HK chapter. The stipulations should be the same.... continuous sub for 6 months or whatever it was.

OR, or... it is just a normal business as usual practice to reuse existing resources in additional promotions and those claiming it is not are living in a fantasy land of digital shiny exclusivity and are actually the ones attempting to pander to the devs to retain said (non existent) exclusivity. Good luck with your continued outrage.

What seems to be lost on you is that these rehashed promo items (that many people qualified for but didn't "win" ) are now "subscriber rewards" even after all the "that's unfair" rhetoric about past subscriber rewards. You see it as: they are opening the flood gates to give away all the old stuff. I see it as: they liked the results of previous subscriber reward promos requiring subbing during a specific period and will continue offering rewards this way in the future. Good luck with your continued wishfulness.

Actually just thought of something. When these rewards were active, there were TONS of forum posts about how worthless they are, nobody wants this, blah blah blah. Why would we want some one-off mission where we don't even get to play OUR character?

Now today people are doing the opposite... I realize it's probably not the same people, but it's kind of telling about gaming communities as a whole....

Here, we are giving you this as part of your subscription: *** is this crap? I don't want it.

Sorry, you didn't get this because you aren't a subscriber: ***? But why not? I want it!

Actually just thought of something. When these rewards were active, there were TONS of forum posts about how worthless they are, nobody wants this, blah blah blah. Why would we want some one-off mission where we don't even get to play OUR character?

Now today people are doing the opposite... I realize it's probably not the same people, but it's kind of telling about gaming communities as a whole....

Here, we are giving you this as part of your subscription: *** is this crap? I don't want it.

Sorry, you didn't get this because you aren't a subscriber: ***? But why not? I want it!

That's more indicative of the direction the world has been moving with forums, social media, reality television (elimination contests). We have all become critics, It's so easy from a computer or mobile device now to say something without having to worry about the reader's feelings. People tend to be more likely to voice a negative review or criticism of something they didn't want than to praise or make a positive comment about a good thing that was expected. How often do you read about a bug fix in the patch notes only to hear people react like it's the end of the world because that wasn't the bug they've been wanting fixed first?

Anyway I don't think that really changes anything in the basic arguments moving this thread. Obviously some people wish they hadn't missed out and some people appreciate the rewards they received and/or the way they were implemented.

That's more indicative of the direction the world has been moving with forums, social media, reality television (elimination contests). We have all become critics, It's so easy from a computer or mobile device now to say something without having to worry about the reader's feelings. People tend to be more likely to voice a negative review or criticism of something they didn't want than to praise or make a positive comment about a good thing that was expected. How often do you read about a bug fix in the patch notes only to hear people react like it's the end of the world because that wasn't the bug they've been wanting fixed first?

Anyway I don't think that really changes anything in the basic arguments moving this thread. Obviously some people wish they hadn't missed out and some people appreciate the rewards they received and/or the way they were implemented.

True, and as another person pointed out many (not necessarily all) of these people demanding they get the content now are they same ones who refused to play ball in the first place saying they would just wait until it was all released before they subscribed.

So, they want bonus items so bad now when they couldn't be bothered to support the game when the rest of us did? Fine, but they should pay the same price we did.