Space combat

Vialator

Does anyone remember a game called Freelancer?

Now that was one of the best space battle games I have played - it was also very small in actual install size- but you really got every penny worth out of it.

Why on earth did they make a space game which feels like i am a 2 year old on a tricylce with trainer wheels.

Where is the free roaming missions?

At present I am ignoring space missions as they as dull as watching paint dry.

Not impressed by anything yet.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having two vastly different games in an MMO, tends to end poorly. You might appease a very small minority, but you probably tick off the majority.

I could argue that allowing full control of the avatar on the ground and interaction with the environment, whilst NOT keeping those qualities in other gamplay IS actually trying to force two different forms of gameplay together. Which is precisely the situation with SWTOR and it's space combat.

Of course, some like this Tunnel Shooter.

But does that mean people think that space combat shouldn't be "better" and possibly include a form of "full control"? From my experience, that isn't the case. A sizeable portion of people are ultimately hoping for something greater than a mere tunnel shooter.

Edited by Tarka

I could argue that allowing full control of the avatar on the ground and interaction with the environment, whilst NOT keeping those qualities in other gamplay IS actually trying to force two different forms of gameplay together. Which is precisely the situation with SWTOR and it's space combat.

Of course, some like this Tunnel Shooter. But that doesn't mean that the majority thinks that space combat couldn't be better.

I prefer to call it Star Fox. Without the all-range mode.

Having two vastly different games in an MMO, tends to end poorly. You might appease a very small minority, but you probably tick off the majority.

I wonder how eve online and dust 514 will go- they trying to pull of first person shooter- tied into eve online universe- ambitious if ever- pity dust is for consoles only- if they make that pc to , I will have died and gone to heaven- a fps ground shooter linked with eve online!

nerds dream come true

I prefer to call it Star Fox. Without the all-range mode.

Lol. And such a classification would be quite close. Still, I hope that Bioware realise that a noticable amount of people think that space combat (in general) could be better than it current is.

My suggestion: keep the tunnel shooter for those who like that kind of thing. But also work on expanding the concept of space, space travel and space combat into something "richer" and better suiting for a Star Wars MMO being released in 2011.

Edited by Tarka

I have to admit, I loved SWG's space, it was open...free range...fun dogfights against those DAMN RE'd V-WINGS! Of course sadly I remember JtLS' launch and remember like after a few months/year it died out quick.

I would like to see them make space alittle more something of its own rather than a mini-game side mission/entertainment like it is now. Maybe they'll make a major update and space will be awesome...time will always tell!

I love the space combat minigame. It's the perfect relaxing time-killing change of pace it should be. If I want internet spaceships I'll go play EVE, and if I want a flight sim I'll go play (insert one of a dozen multiplayer flight sims far better than any bolted on system swtor could ever possibly have). Edited by mezamashii

I wonder how eve online and dust 514 will go- they trying to pull of first person shooter- tied into eve online universe- ambitious if ever- pity dust is for consoles only- if they make that pc to , I will have died and gone to heaven- a fps ground shooter linked with eve online!

nerds dream come true

Iirc, Dust 514's gameplay has relatively nothing to do with Eve's.

The only way how players in Dust and Eve interact is through very managed channels such as communication and the economy. Aside from that, they remain as essentially two separate games.

Edited by Tarka

Lol. And such a classification would be quite close. Still, I hope that Bioware realise that a noticable amount of people think that space combat (in general) could be better than it current is.

My suggestion: keep the tunnel shooter for those who like that kind of thing. But also work on expanding the concept of space, space travel and space combat into something "richer" and better suiting for a Star Wars MMO being released in 2011.

As I recall, what they have is essentially placeholder that they'll expand on later. But it isn't a priority at the moment.

As I recall, what they have is essentially placeholder that they'll expand on later. But it isn't a priority at the moment.

The Tunnel Shooter isn't a placeholder, it's going to get more missions according to the devs.

Now, the devs have said recently that they ARE working on something to do with space combat, but won't say what that is. So god only knows what we're getting. After people hoped to see a form of "full control" space combat, but ended up with a Tunnel Shooter, I'm not going to get my hopes too high ;)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=274

Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.
Edited by Tarka

Tyrian, the first time I player SWTOR space game, many of you weren't even born. Think of it as just a minigame for now. I'm sure if they do well they might expand it properly but I doubt it's going to take less than a year. Funny how blizz did just this in Starcraft 2 with lost viking :D

Good XP though and goal is to play 1 handed full time so I can actually eat while "playing".

Tyrian, the first time I player SWTOR space game, many of you weren't even born. Think of it as just a minigame for now. I'm sure if they do well they might expand it properly but I doubt it's going to take less than a year. Funny how blizz did just this in Starcraft 2 with lost viking :D

Good XP though and goal is to play 1 handed full time so I can actually eat while "playing".

I remember that game...I played a lot of it. I have a feeling we'll see something similar eventually.

Let's just say that I remember Elite on the Acorn Electron and leave it at that shall we? ;)

To me, classifying space combat as a "minigame" is irrelevant. This is a Star Wars MMO that has been launched in 2011 and one which (one hopes) Bioware wants to ensure that it retains a healthy level of subscribers for as long as possible.

Like any other MMO, Bioware has a certain amount of time before people begin to really scrutinise whether this MMO is worthy of their hard earned cash. Therefore, Bioware really need to ensure that this product offers enough entertainment to achieve that goal.

The clock is ticking.

The space combat is the only truly disappointing aspect of the game for me right now.

Given the genre and that the climax of every movie is a massive spaceship battle...the plinky tunnel shooter doesn't cut it.

Although, that Death Star trench run is kind of like this...

Oh btw if you say its hard to do- take a look at star trek online- ok the ground combat in that is a bit strange- but they managed to merge the two together pretty ok.

Why cant bioware do the same?

guess all this £300 million went to pay for the licensing fee!

Although, that Death Star trench run is kind of like this...

Kinda, but in that scene certain characters made the decision to pull out of the trench run.

Something that cannot be done in this Tunnel Shooter. Once you're in, you're in for the duration.

Oh btw if you say its hard to do- take a look at star trek online- ok the ground combat in that is a bit strange- but they managed to merge the two together pretty ok.

Voice actors aren't cheap.

At all.

The HeroEngine is apparently capable of supporting "full control" space combat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt-Jk3TmodY

Of course, the above link is just to prove the point about how the HeroEngine can be used for different types of gameplay. The link contains alpha footage of one form of space combat (one that includes newtonian physics). No inference is intended to state that this form should be what is included in SWTOR.

Edited by Tarka