Can you skip "Knights of the Fallen Empire"?

CorePhantom

OK, and where did they stated that? As much as I would be happy to wrap up this KotFE stuff and be over with, returning to the classical republic vs empire beef, I assumed the remaining chapters won't wrap up the Arcann situation. Assumed. If it will be done with, good. If not and season 2 will be a whole differenty storyline, I can see some people revolt....

Well there is this. (Highlighted portion in the below spoiler).

Not to mention, it's only 16 Chapters long. Unless you're asking about my SCORPIO / GEMINI comment - which was just an example of what could happen in the future.

Knights of the Fallen Empire – ‘Hero’s Saga’ Trailer

Momentum is building as the Outlander and his Alliance move closer to the ultimate confrontation in Star Wars™: The Old Republic – Knights of the Fallen Empire. The episodic adventure enters its final Chapters beginning this month.

For those that don't know the definitions of the highlighted words:

Ultimate - last; furthest or farthest; ending a process or series.

Final - pertaining to or coming at the end; last in place, order, or time. Ultimate. Conclusive or decisive. Constituting the end or purpose.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another disadvantage of companions in kotfe is that you no longer get influence gains from conversation. On planets where the heroic quests are by a quick travel point I usually pick up the quests from the quest giver and not the heroic terminal. For instance for the SI on Belsavis you can get influence for Talos from the quests "Old Enemies" and "Rock and a Hard Place. However, once you do kotfe and get Talos back from the alert, he will no longer get influence from those quests.

Well there is this. (Highlighted portion in the below spoiler).

Not to mention, it's only 16 Chapters long. Unless you're asking about my SCORPIO / GEMINI comment - which was just an example of what could happen in the future.

Knights of the Fallen Empire – ‘Hero’s Saga’ Trailer

Momentum is building as the Outlander and his Alliance move closer to the ultimate confrontation in Star Wars™: The Old Republic – Knights of the Fallen Empire. The episodic adventure enters its final Chapters beginning this month.

For those that don't know the definitions of the highlighted words:

Ultimate - last; furthest or farthest; ending a process or series.

Final - pertaining to or coming at the end; last in place, order, or time. Ultimate. Conclusive or decisive. Constituting the end or purpose.

OK, thanks. And yeah I was interested in the SCORPIO stuff :) So basically I assumed that the Arcann situation will continue in season 2. You assumed something different. That's that. I don't think either of us stated stuff for sure.

Does anyone know if it will be possible to skip the "Knights of the Fallen Empire" expansion storylines and jump straight to any possible future expansion storylines?

I have bought and run my game with the expansion, but due to the devs decision to not let you keep your "old" companions, I have no intention of starting the "Knights of the Fallen Empire" storyline with any of my core characters, in fact the only character I currently have running storyline is a level boosted one and so far he's only at chapter VI because I can't get myself to play him as I don't feel any kind of relation to him and even less his companions...

In short, once I am done with the pre FE storylines the game ends for me unless there will be future expansion with independent storylines, so I'd really like to know if I'm just treading waters for nothing or if there is still hope :o

Best regards

CP

There's been an ongoing discussion (OK, mainly me bringing it up) regarding this.

I am very much hoping that they let us skip KotFE entirely with some or all characters, and treat characters that did not do KotFE -- who were not "the Outlander" -- differently, and acknowledge that those characters did not go running off, did not get stuck in carbonite, did not lose those 5 years, did not end up with Vati-korian Sue stuck in their head, and so on.

There's existing instances of this -- there is a confrontation with certain NPCs after one of their comrades dies in a Operation. The dialogue is different based on whether the character you're playing at that point has already done that Operation or not.

If a character has not been through KotFE, then whatever comes after KotFE should have different dialogue and reactions that don't make it out as if the character was someone mysterious "the Outlander" by default -- and leaves it open for them to have been up to something entirely different during those 5+ years.

You'll probably get the option to skip "playing through" KotFE, the way you can "skip" playing the base stories if you're high enough level to access the mission terminal on your ship (and thus start Ilum+ content).

The problem with what Max wants is that the follow-up story would then have to make KotFE "not matter," or at least be rarely referenced in dialog; otherwise you'd basically have to record 2 sets of the story cutscenes, one in which you were the Outander, and one in which you weren't. If they never mention the events of KotFE again, I'd find that pretty weird, all things considered; regardless of whether "I" participated or not.

You will most likely be able to start season 2 without doing season 1. Just like you can start KotFE without doing any previous story. It will just auto complete season 1 given you default outlander choices. You will start with default main companions and none of the alert companions.

You'll probably get the option to skip "playing through" KotFE, the way you can "skip" playing the base stories if you're high enough level to access the mission terminal on your ship (and thus start Ilum+ content).

The problem with what Max wants is that the follow-up story would then have to make KotFE "not matter," or at least be rarely referenced in dialog; otherwise you'd basically have to record 2 sets of the story cutscenes, one in which you were the Outander, and one in which you weren't. If they never mention the events of KotFE again, I'd find that pretty weird, all things considered; regardless of whether "I" participated or not.

Having KotFE "not matter" would just be a pleasant side effect, IMO.

You will most likely be able to start season 2 without doing season 1. Just like you can start KotFE without doing any previous story. It will just auto complete season 1 given you default outlander choices. You will start with default main companions and none of the alert companions.

I sure hope so.

Well if you take a companion like for example Lana Beniko and compare the style of her face design to pretty much any other NPC (or possible PC morph) in the game she looks nothing like them style wise, but the problem does not only relate to companions, it also extend to other NPCs that stand out like a sore thumb, among other:

- Satele

- Vaylin

- Arcann

- Valkorion

Other comps are:

- Senya

- Koth

I think in their attempt to really make these key characters stand out among the other NPCs the artists have accidentally lost that slightly more cartoonish style that is a part of what I like so much about the game :(

For some people (I'm talking about you there, running around in-game in that santa costume and a top-hat) who doesn't really look at this stuff it might not be a big deal, but to someone like me who takes things like design- integration and flow serious, it's really frustrating when developers do things like this :o

It was done on purpose. They wanted the new characters (Or revamped versions of older characters) to have more details in their 3D models, both faces and armors.

It was done on purpose. They wanted the new characters (Or revamped versions of older characters) to have more details in their 3D models, both faces and armors.
You are basically just repeating my conclusion :p

"I think in their attempt to really make these key characters stand out among the other NPCs the artists have accidentally lost that slightly more cartoonish style that is a part of what I like so much about the game"

The thing is that there was no need for them to do it, it was bad decision making on their part :rolleyes:

Edited by CorePhantom

I still dont understand why anyone would want to skip the story part of a story focused game.

Simple reason is, they are here for the MMO part, not the story. Perhaps they play MMO's solely for Operations, or PvP and do not care about story at all.

"I think in their attempt to really make these key characters stand out among the other NPCs the artists have accidentally lost that slightly more cartoonish style that is a part of what I like so much about the game"

The thing is that there was no need for them to do it, it was bad decision making on their part :rolleyes:

Showing off that they can still push the limits of that garbage engine with more detailed 3D models and higher quality textures sure is a bad idea. Yes. Absolutely.

I still dont understand why anyone would want to skip the story part of a story focused game.

Because in this case it's a one-size-fits-none mess hashed-together from bits and pieces of Bioware's previous stories that centers on multiple setting-mismatch villain-sues (Viti-korian, Arkaan, the Interminable Empire itself), and in some cases specifically does not fit the character in question.

TBH, I don't see the "slightly more cartoonish style". The game has attempted a more realistic style than cartoonish. Most of the creatures and humanoids that we saw in any of the live action movies, that's pretty much how they look in the game too.

Anyone else wish that KOTFE's "Outlander" theme was more like that cable show "Outlander"? Instead of battling the Infinite Empire, why can't we time-travel to 18th Century Scotland, where we can wear fancy dresses and romance rascally Scots?

So ... just me then? :o

Anyone else wish that KOTFE's "Outlander" theme was more like that cable show "Outlander"? Instead of battling the Infinite Empire, why can't we time-travel to 18th Century Scotland, where we can wear fancy dresses and romance rascally Scots?

At least that plot makes more sense.

Sending the character into an alternate reality or distant past would have been more workable than the KotFE that we ended up with.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

TBH, I don't see the "slightly more cartoonish style". The game has attempted a more realistic style than cartoonish. Most of the creatures and humanoids that we saw in any of the live action movies, that's pretty much how they look in the game too.
I'm not sure what game you are playing but none of the human NPCs in the game look realistic (apart from Valkorion, who is actually really well made) and I didn't mention anything about the creatures or alien races :p Edited by CorePhantom

Does anyone know if it will be possible to skip the "Knights of the Fallen Empire" expansion storylines and jump straight to any possible future expansion storylines?

I have bought and run my game with the expansion, but due to the devs decision to not let you keep your "old" companions, I have no intention of starting the "Knights of the Fallen Empire" storyline with any of my core characters, in fact the only character I currently have running storyline is a level boosted one and so far he's only at chapter VI because I can't get myself to play him as I don't feel any kind of relation to him and even less his companions...

In short, once I am done with the pre FE storylines the game ends for me unless there will be future expansion with independent storylines, so I'd really like to know if I'm just treading waters for nothing or if there is still hope :o

Best regards

CP

Considering you've had your base companions for years and your boosted character has had companions for a few months, I wouldn't expect you to have the same connection. Look at it as a chance to start new for that character.

For the forseeable future, the story will continue along the course that is set. I would not expect any story content to come out that will not rely on KotFE as the basis, unlike previous expansions that could easily be skipped if you were a high enough level.

Considering you've had your base companions for years and your boosted character has had companions for a few months, I wouldn't expect you to have the same connection. Look at it as a chance to start new for that character.
If his issue is losing his core companions, isn't the companion-reunion-terminal-thingy the solution? First thing my Sorcerer did when he reached Odessen was reclaim Khem.

If his issue is losing his core companions, isn't the companion-reunion-terminal-thingy the solution? First thing my Sorcerer did when he reached Odessen was reclaim Khem.

Depends if he wants them for their Influence or their stories.

I think in their attempt to really make these key characters stand out among the other NPCs the artists have accidentally lost that slightly more cartoonish style that is a part of what I like so much about the game

Ha, Koth.. and his pores.. I don't need to see that much detail thank you very much. And Lana looks like a plastic doll. What was wrong with her old model?

Never saw the TV series, but I love the movie from 2009. My kids and I had stumbled upon it by accident back then and it quickly became a favorite of mine. I assume the TV show is based off the movie...?

Never saw the TV series, but I love the movie from 2009. My kids and I had stumbled upon it by accident back then and it quickly became a favorite of mine. I assume the TV show is based off the movie...?

Erm, is that the movie with the vikings and the alien?

That's a third, completely unrelated Outlander.