THE LATEST ROUND OF SPAM MAIL, Just straight up ridiculous.

Shfinky

IF you had this feature, and then you grossly under priced a listing for an expensive item on the GTN... guess what.. If I bought it, you would not receive my courtesy mail asking if it was intentional or a mistake. Because if it is a mistake, I offer the item back to the impacted character at the price I purchased it for. If you block me, tough **** for you.

Tough asterisks for me, indeed. If I forget a zero or whatever, yeah, that's on me. Don't worry about it. I'd still rather keep a tidy mail box.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/signed

Only getting mail from Friends, Guildmates, BW, Legacy alt characters, and the GTN would be great.

Makes me wonder how these things work (as in who gets "selected" for their offers). I average about 3 to 4 a day. Part of my "drinking coffee in the morning" routine is to log in, check the mail, spam-report and set my crew to work on crafting whilst I achieve awake-ness.

Come to think on it, I probably need to log in about 4 characters, they likely have a lot of crud to go through.

Same for me. Get my coffee. Log on to a character. Delete/report spam (a character I hadn't logged on to for 24 hours had 6 spam mails when I next logged on; usually it's 2 to 3 spam per character awaiting me.). Play the character, and delete 1 to 2 (or more) additional spam before I'm done playing. Rinse/repeat when I log on to a different character.

Not a bad idea OP. However I really don't understand why you lot get so aggravated about this. If BW do something good if not, it's not the end of the world.

Seriously...."OMG there is 2 spam emails in my mailbox....I can't take it...it is ruining my immersion!"

The term drama queen comes to mind.

Yep... names like djqiohe1oihe sure is a good one... how about d7odw1.

On a side note....

/Signed or whatever... just please... dis idea good.

EDIT-.... Wait... wouldn't that count as naming and shaming :(?

lol.

On Harbinger I've been getting spams form what looked like ledgitmate people until I opened them. They had good names too

Seriously...."OMG there is 2 spam emails in my mailbox....I can't take it...it is ruining my immersion!"

The term drama queen comes to mind.

Have you ever logged in to find 20 spam mails?

I didn't play an alt for 2 weeks. I logged in and there are 20 of them. It really is annoying. It's not game breaking, but it would be good if they fixed it.

I didn't play an alt for 2 weeks. I logged in and there are 20 of them. It really is annoying. It's not game breaking, but it would be good if they fixed it.

Honestly, the only time I have seen that many was when I took maybe a 6 month break. Usually play a couple times a week nowadays, most I see are maybe 4, and half of them all ready say user deleted.

Honestly, the only time I have seen that many was when I took maybe a 6 month break. Usually play a couple times a week nowadays, most I see are maybe 4, and half of them all ready say user deleted.

On JC, if that matters, I get at least 3 or 4 per day over 8 frequently played characters.

Weekends are even worse.

When was this? I play on Harb as well. The most I ever see is 1 every 2-3 days.

I am on JC. Cant speak for others, but my experience with spam is as I stated above.

Lucky you. It's not a huge deal, but it's an annoyance. Just checked on one of my characters that I don't haul out that often...23 spam from the same company. Now that is over about a week, maybe a bit less.

Not the end of the world but it would be nice to be able to adjust some setting somewhere to eliminate it.

It is ridiculous and it's like no matter how much we harp about it by making threads here and on reddit Bioware doesn't do anything except Musco telling us to report them it does something. Honestly I just add them to ignore now. I see no point in even reporting them as nothing ever happens see the same names on alts throughout my toons sending the same mail, i've seen some of them on the fleet that have been there for months. Bioware doesn't do anything to them just lets them run rampant same for other things like exploits in PvP and even PvE for months and months. Edited by Lil_Fusion

Lucky you. It's not a huge deal, but it's an annoyance. Just checked on one of my characters that I don't haul out that often...23 spam from the same company. Now that is over about a week, maybe a bit less.

Not the end of the world but it would be nice to be able to adjust some setting somewhere to eliminate it.

Are these crafting toons? Maybe crafters are hit harder? I have 1 per day at the very most...but I don't sell much at all, so...is that where their lists come from?

Are these crafting toons? Maybe crafters are hit harder? I have 1 per day at the very most...but I don't sell much at all, so...is that where their lists come from?

Most of my crafting is handled by my "main 8". I think I've put 8 things on the GTN total and that with one character. That was a long while back, like months. I get about an equal number per the 8 that I commonly play. They're all level 65. Not sure on the others as I've never bothered to keep track on them. I just nuke.

No clue. I always assumed they just did a list of who was in game per zone and started spamming away.

Most of my crafting is handled by my "main 8". I think I've put 8 things on the GTN total and that with one character. That was a long while back, like months. I get about an equal number per the 8 that I commonly play. They're all level 65. Not sure on the others as I've never bothered to keep track on them. I just nuke.

No clue. I always assumed they just did a list of who was in game per zone and started spamming away.

I'm guessing they have players that collect character name lists and forward those to a spam character.

There seem to be a few patterns of practice.

1) they definitely farm the GTN for names to spam. Seems like low hanging fruit for the mail list collectors.

2) they definitely farm /who for 65s. I guess they figure 65s will be short on credits.

3) they definitely farm the starter planets. Again.. new players might be tempted and need/want credits fast.

Here's the thing. For the most part, RMT suppliers moved to a brokering model a number of years back in most MMOs. So I would expect this to be true for SWTOR as it is for other MMOs. Basically, rather then do all the work to farm credits... they simply buy from one player and then resell at a markup to another player. There also appear to be some players working as "independents" through gray market web sites.

Now... the fact that credits are worth so little these days in the RMT market is to me an indicator that credits simply have little real world resale value these days. Given how many sunk costs in game have been removed (like training costs, which used to soak up a lot of credits from a character leveling to cap), and the fact that with 4.0 credits and credit convertible rewards drop profusely in much of the games content now. In a way, the changes over the last 18 months have really undercut the RMT market IMO. You can never get rid of it completely of course, but it's completely possible to make it so that there is little real demand for RMT credits.. and that would of course create a huge supply/demand imbalance for the RMTers.

As for the mail spam.. meh..... one or two spam emails when I log in is easily taken care of in 5 seconds as I open my other mail. This is simply not the greek tragedy the OP would like us to embrace it as.

Edited by Andryah

I guess I got scooped up in the /who 65 then. I don't often sell on GTN and I haven't started a newbie in ages. This issue isn't a show-stopper with me it's a "hey, this'd be nice to have but not at the expense of other stuff that is waaaaay more important".

I guess I got scooped up in the /who 65 then. I don't often sell on GTN and I haven't started a newbie in ages. This issue isn't a show-stopper with me it's a "hey, this'd be nice to have but not at the expense of other stuff that is waaaaay more important".

The only feature I would like them to add is /anon so that we can make a character invisible via /who. That would end of lot of the farming for names of players who do not want to be contacted.

The only feature I would like them to add is /anon so that we can make a character invisible via /who. That would end of lot of the farming for names of players who do not want to be contacted.

I was totally surprised this did NOT exist in game. Seems pretty much a standard. Got my vote.

I also do Ignore and Spam. I'm sure I've annoyed quite a few staff people trying to deal with all my tickets.

LOL, me too, sometimes up to 15 a day as I very often character hop and server hop. It takes me all of 4 seconds to do this per character.

Still BW asked us to report all, so that's what I do.

This would not work at all. I get a lot of spam mail that are days/weeks/months old on characters I have not logged into for some times so get mail even when not online. As such this will not help with spam mail on excising characters. Maybe and only a maybe at that, help with new character's made after such a feature is implemented. Even then there are ways to get round this with little effort on the spammers part.

This would not work at all. I get a lot of spam mail that are days/weeks/months old on characters I have not logged into for some times so get mail even when not online. As such this will not help with spam mail on excising characters. Maybe and only a maybe at that, help with new character's made after such a feature is implemented. Even then there are ways to get round this with little effort on the spammers part.

It would help in the long run.. as it denies them /who farming.

Clearly they are working with persistent lists they have gathered over time ... but they will eventually abandon/refresh them.

So the only thing they have left is GTN farming for names, which personally I can live with. Or seeing you in person in game.. which is not efficient for them, so I could care less.

It would help in the long run.. as it denies them /who farming.

Clearly they are working with persistent lists they have gathered over time ... but they will eventually abandon/refresh them.

So the only thing they have left is GTN farming for names, which personally I can live with. Or seeing you in person in game.. which is not efficient for them, so I could care less.

a major exploit was found recently where hundreds of accounts are online 24/7. if they removed this ability to see who is online then people who learn to exploit odd things in the game would never be "seen" and their unusual activity might never be discovered.

a much better way to stop spammers is to find exploits and fix them so they can't generate infinite credits and then ban the accounts.

a big reason you get spam all the time is that exploiters are generating billions of credits per day by taking advantage of things like the treasure hunting lockbox missions 24 hours a day with a bot and vendoring the items. it's a perfectly scalable exploit for them and requires no interaction with the economy. it produces pure credits and inflation.

Edited by Rozaran

a major exploit was found recently where hundreds of accounts are online 24/7. if they removed this ability to see who is online then people who learn to exploit odd things in the game would never be "seen" and their unusual activity might never be discovered.

a much better way to stop spammers is to find exploits and fix them so they can't generate infinite credits and then ban the accounts.

a big reason you get spam all the time is that exploiters are generating billions of credits per day by taking advantage of things like the treasure hunting lockbox missions 24 hours a day with a bot and vendoring the items. it's a perfectly scalable exploit for them and requires no interaction with the economy. it produces pure credits and inflation.

Dude take your conspiracy theory to your own thread. Just because your obsessed with it, doesnt equate to a major exploit discovered. No exploit has been discovered except in your own mind.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Thankfully I no longer get the three new messages on each character as soon as I log on. It's down to one (again I don't understand why I have to wait an hour for a new message from someone in my guild, yet someone sending spam can get a message to me instantly). What I really find annoying is that even though I ignore, I still get messages that I have new mail. I go to the mailbox and there is nothing. The same guy sending messages still operates on the fleet now for months.

What gets me is I could write a perl script to knock out all these messages. They have the same key words and patterns all the time. This is the perception that nothing is being done. I digress.

Account wide ignores would go a long way if ignore truly worked and messages were completely blocked. A squelching system like the one in general chat would also help. Only a couple of reports that an account is sending spam should revoke someone's privileges to send mail.

I'm longing forward to Rakghoul Resurgence. Did you ever notice the dead spammers are quickly logged off?

Edited by aceite

I

Clearly they are working with persistent lists they have gathered over time ... but they will eventually abandon/refresh them..

That's a huge assumption on your part. They would have zero reason to abandon a list, just add to it. Even if a player quits the game the characters they had are still there.

As said it may only work on new characters AFTER such a feature was implemented. Even then spammer would find ways. You even give two ways yourself. There are others.