More playable alien species please!!!

ComradeDima

Despite having so many varied alien species in Star Wars, almost all of the playable species in SWTOR are very similar to humans. The cyborg 'race' in particular seems like a shameless re-skin of humans, and although Chiss and Rattataki are established in Star Wars lore, they make it seem like Bioware will go to great lengths to choose races that are incredibly human-like, at the expense of the far more common and well-known alien species (Twi-lek, Togruta and Zabrak being the exceptions.)

Personally, I would absolutely love to be able to play as a Rodian, and I'm not the only one. As cool as the existing playable races are, most of them feel like recolored humans.

I get that there are several arguments as to why more physiologically varied alien races aren't playable, and I'll cover them here;

1. Voice acting - aka "Rodians/Wookiees/Trandoshans can't speak basic."

We've had Rodians canonically speaking Basic before (Star Wars: Rebels, S1 EP1), and further confirmation that Rodians can indeed speak basic (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rodian). For races that cannot, worn translators are canon, as in the Rebels animated series, an Ithorian is seen speaking Basic through the use of a translator (Star Wars: Rebels, S1 EP1). Therefore, all voice acting could be done in (preferably accented) Basic.

2. Romance - aka "I'd rather (not) kiss a Wookiee!"

Just because we probably wouldn't consider dating an Ithorian or Rodian in real life doesn't mean it couldn't happen in Star Wars - there are plenty of canonical inter-species romances. If your only argument is that inter-species relationships are too far fetched for a fictional universe where a psychic, magic-using, psuedo-religious order of knights battle the forces of darkness, then you're being unreasonable.

3. Armour and stuff

It's understandable that any playable races have to be humanoid in order to equip the items and clothing in the game. The only place that this could become an issue is the head. This argument is also pretty weak as it wouldn't take much to simply edit the helmet/hood models for certain species (for instance, a helmet would have holes for the antennae when worn by a Rodian, etc. A quicker way would be to have the antennae hidden underneath the helmet.)

4. "Nobody can relate to alien races."

You can't really say what people will/won't relate to. I would love to play as a Rodian (spent six years as a Rodian bounty hunter on SWG) but don't really care for the Rattataki. Someone else might love the Rattataki and not give a second thought to playing as a Rodian. People can relate to the various alien species, and this has been shown in the many posts on these forums by people who want to see more varied playable species in-game.

5. "Too much time/effort/money."

Some of the races I've mentioned are literally in the game already. The models & textures for these races are already in the game - as is some of the voice acting - they just aren't playable. The only real work that it would need is minor adjustments of headgear, which would be an insignificant investment on Bioware's part but would make a lot of players very happy.

If you can think of a reason why more varied alien races shouldn't/won't be playable, please post them here.

Edited by ComradeDima

3. Armour and stuff

It's understandable that any playable races have to be humanoid in order to equip the items and clothing in the game. The only place that this could become an issue is the head. This argument is also pretty weak as it wouldn't take much to simply edit the helmet/hood models for certain species (for instance, a helmet would have holes for the antennae when worn by a Rodian, etc. A quicker way would be to have the antennae hidden underneath the helmet.)

For the helmets, they could just go the same route as the Togruta, and have them never show up. (I personally like this, because you can equip the Dynamic Brawler's eyes, and they don't show, but still light up when you draw your weapon.)

For the helmets, they could just go the same route as the Togruta, and have them never show up. (I personally like this, because you can equip the Dynamic Brawler's eyes, and they don't show, but still light up when you draw your weapon.)

Exactly - some species could still have the helmets show (with ears/antennae hidden under the helmet) while others could have the helmet not show up.

• 1 month later...

i don't think Rodians would have too much trouble wearing helmets.

If the Twi'Leks can, the Rodians can.

also to add on to that Romance thing, didn't a Human Kiss a Rodian in Clone Wars therefor nullifying that arguement. (And to add on to that, in Clone Wars in episodes about the Jedi Traitor, there's a Human woman whose husband based on pictures used was an Abyssian.).

Can i just say i love how much Clone Wars has changed things for alot of the arguments for some of these species?

Edited by Jawa_Trooper

I think more of those examples were about species like Jawa, Trandoshans, Wookiees.

And I would love more specie options as well. Rodian, Nautolan, Chagrian (I'm willing to sacrifice the Body 3 as "Tall" and have all body types being the same height if it means getting to play as a Chagrian), Clawdite (racial ability tot transform into a Human with the same numbers on the customization options, Like Face C1 would be Face Human 1 and so forther), Nikto, Anzati, Zygerrian, Theelin (They were considered extinct by 40 ABY due to a mutation but this game is at least 3700 BBY, so they'd still be aorund and would have a ton of fun things to do with hair styles and tattoo marks), Falleen... Okay, I admit, I was barrowing heavily form Wookieepedia's Near-Human list trying to find some Near-Humans who visually different enough to not be a total Human reskin.

• 1 year later...