It blows my mind!

NakodaTheJedi

Because my other option is to destroy the stuff I throw on the GTN.

Everything I sell there is stuff I don't need or don't want. Don't care how much money it makes me.

This exactly. Not much if anything on the GTN that is needed, just fluff.

It just blows my mind how people use the GTN here I will admit I take advantage of it. If I see I have the only item of a kind being sold on the GTN I'll hike up that price and then others get that item and follow my lead of posting a crystal at a million credits....then THAT ONE PERSON comes along and posts at 100k credits....DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ANYONE IN THESE FORUMS??? because I just buy that sucker and a day later I've made a 900k profit...

If your price is waaaaaaay over prevailing market price for an item... you will lose at this attempt to predatory price. Sure.. there are also some items place on the market at throw away prices.. but so what.

While deliberate over pricing may happen on occasion, It's not rampant, and it is easily squelched by people who know the actual market price for an item. While you can list any price you like, regular shoppers know the market price on their server for items they seek, and will simply wait out a deliberate over-price until they see a return of normal prices.

Over pricing is not rampant .. and it is only a matter of time before a regular seller logs in, sees the nonsense, and undercuts the listings back to current prevailing market rates. I certainly do, if I have inventory of the item in question. Since I buy early at low prices when there is a glut and then hold the items, I can do this and still make a nice profit.

TL;DR for every price gouging pile-on you see in the market, you will also see undercutters that will take these out at the ankles when they see them and have inventory... and re-establish fair market list prices. And that is as it should be, frankly.

Edited by Andryah

What I think is weird is how many people look for a single armor piece on the GTN rather than a set. Like a chestpiece will sell for 1.5 million and yet the upper armor set of the chestpiece+ helmet (or chest+gloves) is selling for 400k. One time I bought an entire armor set for the gloves that was around 900k, kept the gloves, and sold the other pieces I didn't want the next day for 2 million.

Mainly use gtn to buy something I want cheaply, mainly aug bujying always someone selling dirt cheap on my server and just need to catch the low prices during off hours when no one is around.

But some of the worse crap I have seen in game sells for 10 million some days, never understand that.

Edited by Talosred

Maybe he was one of the exploiters that didn't get caught, and you've just given him 100k for what is in effect "stolen property".:eek::p

if i had been doing any exploiting i wouldn't be on these forums. or using the gtn to make money...to be honest had no clue that was even happening until i read that in the dev forums. lol at first i thought they were talking about those people who try to sell us credits in gen chat but then i learned what it was really about

It just blows my mind how people use the GTN here I will admit I take advantage of it. If I see I have the only item of a kind being sold on the GTN I'll hike up that price and then others get that item and follow my lead of posting a crystal at a million credits....then THAT ONE PERSON comes along and posts at 100k credits....DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ANYONE IN THESE FORUMS??? because I just buy that sucker and a day later I've made a 900k profit...

Scenario:

I have more than I need of an item, especially something that can be unlocked, and I've already done so. Keeping extras around crowds my cargo hold, and quick sales are better than waiting, depending on the items. So, if it's something that I've got plenty of, and I just want to get rid of it, I'll sell it for whatever. I don't need to have 1 billion credits a week coming in, because there's nothing I need to spend credits on, other than opening my last SH, and I'm in no hurry to do that. So I sell it for whatever, if nobody in guild wants it for free.

When every credit I make on an item is profit, I don't need to see a bunch of zeros.