BW representative explains why Alliance Proving Grounds is popping so much

Lhancelot

Thanks to Alienware guy for asking in a petition why the Alliance Proving Grounds warzone is popping so much.

His petition was answered, and here you can see it for yourself what he was told as to why this warzone is popping 90% of the time.

Good to know we finally got an answer, from someone!

I seriously didn't make this up, here is the proof. http://imgur.com/HwPADYN

Thanks for actually sending in a petition on this, and posting a pic of the answer, Alienwareguy!

Man, I'm so pissed about this whole debacle of an update and that response that I would dearly love to pee in their office plants. Not hurt anyone. Just *ziiiiiiip* *ahhhhhhhhhhh!*

Good grief this company sucks. LOL I mean they could suck a golf ball through a garden hose they're so inept.

Man, I'm so pissed about this whole debacle of an update and that response that I would dearly love to pee in their office plants. Not hurt anyone. Just *ziiiiiiip* *ahhhhhhhhhhh!*

Good grief this company sucks. LOL I mean they could suck a golf ball through a garden hose they're so inept.

Stuff like this really paints a very vidid picture of the truth for you, if you had doubts about the ineptitude of this company. I honestly thought they simply are understaffed etc.

And maybe they are.

But, to actually get a response like this, for me is unbelievable.

I'm not saying I am not disappointed or furious for the sheer idiocy, but this doesn't necessarily mean Bioware is slacking. What it is, is a very clear and vivid representation of what the entire gaming industry has come to these days.

In a nutshell, stuff like this happens because in corporate business, the developers, the marketers/producers, and tech/support people are all different parties which often fall into serious communication problems.

It became this way when the gaming inudsty evolved into corporate-scale business that requires massive investments and development times -- something which the small~medium sized game companies of late '90s~early 2000's, could no longer manage. The requirements for resources grew over time, and the risks were also becoming higher. Hence, the era of mergers where indipendent, small gaming companies were merged and aborbed into large corporate controlled production companies which had the resources and capital.

Now, in theory, you would think that the developers would have full creative control. But in reality, they do not. Once it is merged into a corporate the designated marketing 'experts' and producers from the corporate, hold the direction of creative control. and their direction is of course, profit over anything else -- and a short-term profit, at that. They rarely dwell into stuff that takes long-time investment, like coming up with a fantastic setting or story, The directional control always sets its sight upon 'low-investment, high-return', and the most classic example of such would be cash-bought items for a F2P business model.

Likewise, in theory, the "support" team should be a part of the development team, so they actually know about the game, or what kind of measures or plans the devs have. In theory the support team takes information from both the marketing team and the development team, and then with such information, tries its best in earnest to appease customers in regards to the troubles, problems, grievances they may have.

The problem is, one measure of saving money for the corporate is to dissolve all of the support teams affiliated with individual development teams, and just consolidate it into one. Basically, use minimal amounts of people to handle mupltiple tech/support from multiple games. In many cases the people they use for this job, are part-time people or non-qualified in the first place.

So in theory, when a problem comes up and a customer sends in a ticket, they would need to gather as much information as possible, and then file a report to the development team of that game. Then, the development team needs to explain it in detail so that the support guys can understand what they are saying, and then after the support guys fully understand what the explanation is, they summarize it in send it back to the customer.

However, in reality, most of the process goes like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support Guy A: "Oh god.. another frickin' complaint ticket.. hey B, send this over to the devs"

Support Guy B: "Why me?"

Support Guy A: "Just do it, for christ's sake"

Support Guy B: "Ok, ok.. .sheesh... *grumble*"

Support Guy A: "Make sure you send a good summary, or the devs won't know what the complaint is"

Support Guy B: (...like hell I will...)

Development Guy A: "Hey B, there's another complaint ticket"

Development Guy B: "What is it about?"

Development Guy A: "Dunno... the support team sent in some rubbish, I'm not sure"

Development Guy B: "Do we have to ask them again?"

Development Guy A: "Oh man... do we really have to do this? We're behind schedule already."

Development Guy B: "Just... write down whatever seems to make sense. We ain't got time for this bullshi*"

Development Guy A: "But I'm not even sure what the complaint is about...man..."

Development Guy B: "Hey, it's their job to keep people satisfied. Let them deal with it"

Support Guy B: "Hey, the devs sent back a reply"

Support Guy A: "Great."

Support Guy B: "...but I'm not sure if this is the correct answer to the complaint"

Support Guy A: "Not our business. Just summarize that into two sentences, and send it back"

Support Guy B: "OK"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...so, for any game that's affiliated with corporate-scale production, things pretty much go like that above. It's not just BW that's the problem, but rather the entire corporate system.

So the responses like seen in that pic, the devs at Bioware themselves may not even know that happened at all. My bet would be that the support guy was too lazy, and probably didn't bother to send it over to the devs to request for an explanation. The guy probably not familiar with SWTOR at all, and usually just answers according to the manual/FAQ booklet they gave him when he got the job. So he probably decided to save some time and answer with some bullshi*, but made a mistake -- since he wasn't familiar with how WZs were played.

That's my take on it.

(ps) ...and yes, bureaucracy in the corporate system IS actually that stupid.

Edited by kweassa

I'm not saying I am not disappointed or furious for the sheer idiocy, but this doesn't necessarily mean Bioware is slacking. What it is, is a very clear and vivid representation of what the entire gaming industry has come to these days.

Yeah... it's called slacking.

That does make a lot of sense, Kwea, and I have to agree with you. It's the current state of my own industry, too. Try to accomplish as much as possible for as little as possible, including people. They want 20 years polished experience for an entry level salary, but if they can't get it then, "Eh, whatever. We'll put a chimpanzee in there instead."

Regardless, they have effed this game up with this last patch. Even short staffed, it's extremely unwise to let a debacle like this update go ignored for this long. Still, the ones calling the shots, who likely know next to nothing about actual gamer behavior and loyalty, don't care. Only short term huge profit with almost no expense or effort involved. Thus the CM and KotFE solo player crap.

Yeah... it's called slacking.

Not when the support guys in charge of sending over correct information doesn't work for you, or follow your orders.

I'm not aware of how EA has set it up, but in most similar companies, the support team is usually outsourced people. They don't really listen to anyone, and its usually set so low under priorities that nobody even listens to them. In most cases they are a lower part of marketing, and like said, the marketing people in the corporate don't really know anything.

i don't want to demonize marketing people, since some people I know do similar jobs, and some of the marketing people really try hard to understand how games and gamers work, but for the most part, most of them are clueless and superficial about what us gamers like or dislike. Most of these guys didn't have games when they were studying in college :D and frankly, the gaming industry is also a relative very new phenomenon to happen. Nobody imagined gaming industry would become this large even right upto the 2000s. Everything that's happened in gaming, has a history of less than two decades (!!).

In this environment, basically, support people are treated like janitors. :( They don't get enough support themselves, always marked as low priorities, and not many understand good customer support is basically the "face" of the company. So in many cases the quality of people there are not very impressive, and even more serious, they handle a LOT of games and the workload is actually very heavy.

Like said, the Bioware dev team may not even know something like this happened.

Edited by kweassa

Not when the support guys in charge of sending over correct information doesn't work for you, or follow your orders.

The company is slacking when they fail to follow up and understand what their underlings are doing. Cheap pay = cheap service.

This kind of comes off as a smart arse remark, translating

"look, we know about it, we know 90% of the community hates it, and we're tired of explaining it to you"

OR from that screenie you took, it could just as easily be this....

"oh you're the guy that bought a dye for 20 bucks and wants a free one by making up a story about deleting it, I got a story for you then"

I HOPE it's either reason and not a dude that doesn't even know the mechanics of the game. If THAT'S the case, this could be the beginning of the TRUE death of SWTOR.

This kind of comes off as a smart arse remark, translating

"look, we know about it, we know 90% of the community hates it, and we're tired of explaining it to you"

OR from that screenie you took, it could just as easily be this....

"oh you're the guy that bought a dye for 20 bucks and wants a free one by making up a story about deleting it, I got a story for you then"

I HOPE it's either reason and not a dude that doesn't even know the mechanics of the game. If THAT'S the case, this could be the beginning of the TRUE death of SWTOR.

Yeah, when their representatives are so far removed and ignorant of how the game works, and respond in this fashion it's kind of hard to give BW the benefit of the doubt here no matter what the reason is.

Well, Tait did make one reply to say that they were "looking into it". Almost 2 weeks ago. Nothing at all since.

They're probably aware of the situation. I meant that the devs probably have no idea support guys answered the initial inquiry in that ridiculous manner.

And what makes you think this is a troll post?

I am a conspiracy kind of guy, and that pic looks 100% legit to me. Plus, to go through the trouble of even trying to recreate a petition response on photoshop, give me a break. This photo is real.

That rep simply has no clue abut the game and how warzones work etc.

Alienwareguy doesn't strike me as the type who recreates elaborate photoshop pics to fool the PVP community for a few laughs.

Plus, I am sure if you created a fake picture involving an actual EA representative they'd frown on that and ensure it was removed from the forums here. They censor stuff quickly, and that picture has stayed up.

In fact, I actually got in trouble once for creating fake patch notes. They don't like when you create fake info even if it's done as a joke.

Edited by Lhancelot